|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bazo asks King Lobengula for a task to prove Bazo's loyalty, what does Lobengula tell Bazo to bring to him?
2. When Mr. Rhodes wants a theme for his new mansion, what does Jordan suggest that Rhodes use as his theme?
3. At the double wedding ceremony, who does Cathy marry?
4. How many statues do Ralph and Isazi take with them when they head to Zimbabwe?
5. How many days pass before Mungo is finally allowed to leave the king's camp and search for Louise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the actions of the advance team's leader as they are surrounded and being killed one by one.
2. According to the girl who cooks for Bazo, and cleans his wounds as Bazo marches his captives back from Pemba's to King Lobengula, what is the only way that Bazo can protect her from other wizards?
3. When Louise leaves the king's camp, she has a plan in place. What is Louise's plan?
4. As the mounted party clears the narrow cliffs on the way to Umlimo, how does Zouga's horse get killed?
5. When Kamuza gives the gold to Will and Jim, what do Jim and Will tell Kamuza?
6. Other than wanting to steal the king's diamonds, what other reason does Mungo have for staying at the Codringtons?
7. According to Zouga, why are some of Lobengula's regiments on the Zambezi unable to fight?
8. Why do Jim Thorn and Will Daniel trail behind the rest of Mungo's group that is following Lobengula?
9. According to Bazo, why does he not have sex with the girl who cooks for him?
10. Why does Jameson send a party of mounted men to the Umlimo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Ralph and Jordan Ballantyne.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Looking forward, how might the fight between Ralph and Zouga have impacted Jordan long-term more so than impacting Ralph? Did the fight affect both of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Were the men similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the people and/or groups of people trying to gain control of the diamond claims. Compare and contrast these people and/or groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Did any one person or group actually end up controlling the claims? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the course of the novel, Ralph is involved with several different women. Compare and contrast the relationship Ralph has with Lil, Salina, and Cathy. Then, compare and contrast these women. How do these relationships influence not only Ralph, but also the other people that are in Ralph's life?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)