|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men does Mungo allow the group leader of his advance team to take across the swollen river?
2. As part of Bazo's reward for bringing the king Pemba's head, how many cattle is Bazo allowed to choose from the royal herd?
3. What is the name of Robyn Codrington's husband?
4. At the double wedding ceremony, who does Cathy marry?
5. When Bazo lays down with Tanase just after she has had a vision, who does Tanase warn Bazo not to trust?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the mounted party clears the narrow cliffs on the way to Umlimo, how does Zouga's horse get killed?
2. When Catherine asks Salina if God gets mad if one prays for something just for oneself, and Salina says no, what does Catherine pray for?
3. When Bazo captures Ralph under orders from the king to kill whomever was responsible, how and why does Bazo react as he does?
4. When Salina declares her love for Jordan, how does Jordan respond?
5. When Bazo sends the warriors away, why does Bazo injure Ralph instead of letting him go unharmed?
6. When Mungo receives the letter telling him that his wife has died, Mungo is free to finally marry Louise. What does Mungo do when he receives the letter?
7. According to Zouga, why are some of Lobengula's regiments on the Zambezi unable to fight?
8. How does Robyn get accepted to the London hospital she trained at even though the hospital has never accepted a woman?
9. Why does Jameson send a party of mounted men to the Umlimo?
10. As Ralph kisses Cathy goodbye as he prepares to leave the Codringtons, Ralph realizes two things. What are they?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, there are several attempted characters that either die or are killed.
a. Identify three characters that do not survive until the end of the novel. Describe each character and the circumstances surrounding their deaths.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that do not survive. What does the author have to gain by killing these characters off? What, if anything, does the author lose?
c. How would the story have changed if one or more of your identified characters had survived?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the course of the novel, Ralph is involved with several different women. Compare and contrast the relationship Ralph has with Lil, Salina, and Cathy. Then, compare and contrast these women. How do these relationships influence not only Ralph, but also the other people that are in Ralph's life?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ralph and Jordan Ballantyne.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Looking forward, how might the fight between Ralph and Zouga have impacted Jordan long-term more so than impacting Ralph? Did the fight affect both of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Were the men similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)