|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Ralph prepares to leave the Codringtons, how long does he tell Cathy that he will be gone for?
2. What is the name of the partner that Ralph takes on?
3. Who is promoted to be Dr. Jameson's chief of staff?
4. What role did the girl who cooks for Bazo and cleans his wounds fill for Pemba before she was captured by Bazo?
5. What do the Codrington girls call King Mzilikazi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Jim Thorn and Will Daniel trail behind the rest of Mungo's group that is following Lobengula?
2. As the mounted party clears the narrow cliffs on the way to Umlimo, how does Zouga's horse get killed?
3. According to Bazo, why does he not have sex with the girl who cooks for him?
4. As Mungo's health improves after the surgery, he begins to go for longer and longer walks. Why are Mungo's walks a respite for him?
5. When she finally climbs out of the sycamore tree, why does Louise leave all of her supplies, except the rifle, behind?
6. Describe the actions of the advance team's leader as they are surrounded and being killed one by one.
7. When Catherine asks Salina if God gets mad if one prays for something just for oneself, and Salina says no, what does Catherine pray for?
8. When Ralph heads back to Lobengula's encampment, he meets Bazo along the way. What does Bazo assure Ralph of?
9. When Kamuza gives the gold to Will and Jim, what do Jim and Will tell Kamuza?
10. Other than wanting to steal the king's diamonds, what other reason does Mungo have for staying at the Codringtons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Zouga Ballantyne and Mungo St. John.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes in this novel involves honor.
a. Identify three characters that are honorable in their actions. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted honorably.
b. Why do these characters try to do the honorable thing?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors, or would they have been more successful if they had not taken the honorable route? Explain your answer.
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)