|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role did the girl who cooks for Bazo and cleans his wounds fill for Pemba before she was captured by Bazo?
2. How much earlier than Zouga's book is Robyn's book published?
3. What do the Codrington girls call King Mzilikazi?
4. How many days pass being out on her own before Louise is lost?
5. How old was Louise when Mungo raped her?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Louise hears her mule scream in terror, she climbs a sycamore tree. Why?
2. As Ralph kisses Cathy goodbye as he prepares to leave the Codringtons, Ralph realizes two things. What are they?
3. When she finally climbs out of the sycamore tree, why does Louise leave all of her supplies, except the rifle, behind?
4. According to Zouga, why are some of Lobengula's regiments on the Zambezi unable to fight?
5. Why does Louise feel that there is no turning back after she leaves the king's camp without permission?
6. Why do Jim Thorn and Will Daniel trail behind the rest of Mungo's group that is following Lobengula?
7. As Mungo's health improves after the surgery, he begins to go for longer and longer walks. Why are Mungo's walks a respite for him?
8. When Salina declares her love for Jordan, how does Jordan respond?
9. According to Bazo, why does he not have sex with the girl who cooks for him?
10. When Ralph heads back to Lobengula's encampment, he meets Bazo along the way. What does Bazo assure Ralph of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes in this novel involves greed.
a. Identify three characters that are motivated by greed to further their interests.
b. How does greed affect these characters, their decisions, and their actions?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors, or would they have been more successful if they had not been so greedy? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Zouga Ballantyne and Mungo St. John.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Zouga Ballantyne, Mungo St. John, King Lobengula, Boza, and Ralph Ballantyne.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)