|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Bazo asks King Lobengula for a task to prove Bazo's loyalty, what does Lobengula tell Bazo to bring to him?
(a) Zouga's head.
(b) The blue diamond.
(c) Pemba's head.
(d) The soapstone sculpture.
2. When the unknown patient sent to Robyn by her grandfather finally appears, who is the patient?
(a) Jordan Ballantyne.
(b) Leander Jameson.
(c) Neville Pickering.
(d) Mungo St. John.
3. At the double wedding ceremony, who does Louise marry?
4. Who carves the crutch out of Mopani wood that Mungo uses to get around after his surgery?
5. When Cathy goes to live in the British South Africa Company's camp on the Macloutsi River, she is the only woman among how many men?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Catherine curtsies to welcome Ralph, what does Ralph notice that Catherine's skirts are made from?
2. When an unknown person rides up to Robyn Codrington's home, who is on the horse?
3. What is the name of the girl who cooks for Bazo and cleans his wounds, as Bazo marches his captives back from Pemba's to King Lobengula?
4. As part of Bazo's reward for bringing the king Pemba's head, how many cattle is Bazo allowed to choose from the royal herd?
5. What stands at the head of the steps to the cottage that used to belong to Tom Harkness that Zouga is now living in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the actions of the advance team's leader as they are surrounded and being killed one by one.
2. Why is the girl who cooks for Bazo and cleans his wounds, as Bazo marches his captives back from Pemba's to King Lobengula, happy that Pemba is dead?
3. According to Bazo, why does he not have sex with the girl who cooks for him?
4. When Bazo sends the warriors away, why does Bazo injure Ralph instead of letting him go unharmed?
5. Why does Louise feel that there is no turning back after she leaves the king's camp without permission?
6. When Mungo asks Louise why she does not leave him, how does Louise respond?
7. When Louise hears her mule scream in terror, she climbs a sycamore tree. Why?
8. According to Zouga, why are some of Lobengula's regiments on the Zambezi unable to fight?
9. According to the girl who cooks for Bazo, and cleans his wounds as Bazo marches his captives back from Pemba's to King Lobengula, what is the only way that Bazo can protect her from other wizards?
10. When she finally climbs out of the sycamore tree, why does Louise leave all of her supplies, except the rifle, behind?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)