|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the story told by the late night visitor to Zouga's bedroom, what is Mungo trying to purchase when he gets shot?
(a) A parcel of diamonds.
(c) A load of guns.
(d) The soapstone sculpture.
2. When Zouga asks the nameless man what he's selling, how does the nameless man respond?
3. Who is charged with stamping out the I.D.B. on the diamond fields?
(a) John Fry.
(b) Leander Jameson.
(c) Jan Cheroot.
(d) Damian Williams.
4. When Jordan delivers the statue to its new owner, Jordan is offered a job. What job is Jordan offered?
(a) A sorter.
(b) A bookkeeper.
(c) A chef.
(d) A secretary.
5. How big is the largest diamond that the man who finds the enrichment finds?
(a) Eighteen carats.
(b) Twenty carats.
(c) Ten carats.
(d) Fifteen carats.
Short Answer Questions
1. Louise St. John is not really Mungo's wife. What happened to Mungo's wife at the beginning of the Civil War?
2. When Zouga refuses to serve lunch to Cecil Rhodes, who does Zouga suggest that Jordan hire?
3. What does the Matabele warrior use to pry the diamond in the pit loose?
4. What is the name of Zouga's wife, who insists on traveling to Colesberg with him?
5. Who comes to visit Zouga to "inform" him of what wages he can pay, per the Digger's Committee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ralph leave school?
2. According to the descriptions given in the book, what are a monkey and a donkey?
3. When Jordan asks Zouga why they can't just keep the sculpture, how does Zouga respond to Jordan?
4. On the way to deliver the statue, Jordan entertains the notion of running away with it. Why does Jordan end up delivering the statue?
5. Why does Ralph challenge his father when Zouga comes off the veranda brandishing his whip?
6. Describe what married life was like for Zouga's wife.
7. Describe Hendrick Naaiman.
8. While he is down in the pit, why does the Matabele warrior lean into the mud wall - the action that enables him to find the large diamond?
9. After the road caves in, why does Zouga send his Matabele down into the pressure crack that the water had opened?
10. What was Mungo St. John's reaction when the British navy tried to board his ship?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)