|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title that the members of the mess are known by?
(a) The Robbers.
(b) The Land Baron.
(c) The Swells.
(d) The Gents.
2. When Jordan is in the kitchen preparing to cut off his male member, who interrupts him?
(c) Jan Cheroot.
3. According to rumor, how many slaves had Mungo St. John transported from Africa to North America in a three month period?
(a) $500 thousand worth of slaves.
(b) $5 million worth of slaves.
(c) $750 thousand worth of slaves.
(d) $2 million worth of slaves.
4. What rank does Zouga Ballantyne hold?
5. What does Hendrick Naaiman consider himself to be?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Zouga is awakened late at night, who is the visitor that appears in Zouga's bedroom?
2. When Zouga goes off in search of men to work his claim, how many men are in the tribe Zouga comes upon?
3. What is the name of the book Zouga wrote?
4. After losing everything he has in the bet on the rough ride, who does Zouga give the soapstone sculpture to?
5. When Zouga introduces himself to the warriors he comes upon, by what name does he introduce himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are edicts from the Digger's Committee enforced?
2. Why does Zouga's wife insist on accompanying him to Colesberg as the story begins?
3. What was Mungo St. John's reaction when the British navy tried to board his ship?
4. How does Zouga react when the nameless man offers him an equal partnership in his scheme to gain profits by salting Zouga's claim?
5. Why do the Matabele typically keep their treasures buried under the floor in their huts?
6. How does Zouga characterize Mungo St. John when he first shows up in Colesberg?
7. At Jordan's luncheon, who offends Zouga simply by being there, and why is Zouga offended?
8. Describe what married life was like for Zouga's wife.
9. While he is down in the pit, why does the Matabele warrior lean into the mud wall - the action that enables him to find the large diamond?
10. What is Jordan's reaction when he learns about sex from Jan Cheroot after listening to Jan and Ralph talk?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)