|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the time when Zouga Ballantyne first hears the name Colesberg kopje, how many wagons does he have?
2. At Jordan's luncheon, who teaches Louise about the nuances of diamonds?
3. After witnessing the fight between his father and Ralph, Jordan tries to cut off his member. Who inadvertently stops Jordan from hurting himself?
4. Which is NOT one of the names given to the competition groups?
5. How far is it from Good Hope to the diamond fields that Zouga and his family journey to?
(a) Two hundred miles.
(b) Six hundred miles.
(c) Twelve hundred miles.
(d) Eighty miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the story told by the late night visitor to Zouga's bedroom, what is Mungo trying to purchase when he gets shot?
2. How does Jordan obtain the book that he keeps hidden under his pillow?
3. Who is the chairman of the Kimberley Sporting Club?
4. When Zouga realizes that the ground is giving way, to whom does he shout a warning on the road with their cart?
5. What is the name of the man who finds the enrichment that starts the diamond frenzy in Colesberg?
Short Essay Questions
1. While he is down in the pit, why does the Matabele warrior lean into the mud wall - the action that enables him to find the large diamond?
2. Describe what married life was like for Zouga's wife.
3. When Jordan accepts the job that is offered to him when he delivers the statue to its new owner, what is Jordan's first responsibility at his new job?
4. Describe Hendrick Naaiman.
5. How does Zouga react when the nameless man offers him an equal partnership in his scheme to gain profits by salting Zouga's claim?
6. As Zouga approaches the location where he is meeting the nameless man, Zouga feels fear. Why does Zouga enjoy feeling fear?
7. What is Jordan's reaction when he learns about sex from Jan Cheroot after listening to Jan and Ralph talk?
8. According to the descriptions given in the book, what are a monkey and a donkey?
9. After Mungo has been released from prison in Cape Town, Zouga loses contact with Mungo. How do they finally make contact with each other again?
10. Describe the reaction of Zouga's wife when she first arrives in Africa.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)