|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Zouga refuses to serve lunch to Cecil Rhodes, who does Zouga suggest that Jordan hire?
2. How long has Kamuza been away when he finally returns to Colesberg?
(a) Eight years.
(b) Three months.
(c) Eight months.
(d) Three years.
3. What is one of the conditions under which Zouga's meeting with the nameless man takes place?
(a) Zouga must approach on horseback.
(b) Zouga must approach with Ralph.
(c) Zouga must approach at night.
(d) Zouga must approach unarmed.
4. Where does the meeting between Zouga and the nameless man take place?
(a) A church.
(b) A tavern.
(c) A cave.
(d) A farmhouse.
5. What is the title that the members of the mess are known by?
(a) The Gents.
(b) The Robbers.
(c) The Swells.
(d) The Land Baron.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the chairman of the Kimberley Sporting Club?
2. Where does Zouga Ballantyne first hear the name Colesberg kopje?
3. When Jordan is in the kitchen preparing to cut off his male member, who interrupts him?
4. Before embarking on the journey to Colesberg, how many years does Zouga spend chasing his grandiose dream?
5. What is the name of Zouga's sister, who is responsible for turning Mungo over to the authorities because of his slave trading?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Ralph looks like after he has been to see Dr. Jameson after the fight with Zouga.
2. On the way to deliver the statue, Jordan entertains the notion of running away with it. Why does Jordan end up delivering the statue?
3. What most surprises Zouga when he first arrives in Colesberg?
4. When the tribal warriors first reach the diamond claim, what does Jan Cheroot have to show them?
5. When Jordan accepts the job that is offered to him when he delivers the statue to its new owner, what is Jordan's first responsibility at his new job?
6. Why does Ralph leave school?
7. How does Zouga react when the nameless man offers him an equal partnership in his scheme to gain profits by salting Zouga's claim?
8. As Zouga approaches the location where he is meeting the nameless man, Zouga feels fear. Why does Zouga enjoy feeling fear?
9. When Jordan asks Zouga why they can't just keep the sculpture, how does Zouga respond to Jordan?
10. As Zouga prepares to keep the rendezvous with the nameless man, Zouga only has his claims left to sell. Why is Zouga unwilling to sell his claims?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)