|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to rumor, how many slaves had Mungo St. John transported from Africa to North America in a three month period?
(a) $5 million worth of slaves.
(b) $500 thousand worth of slaves.
(c) $750 thousand worth of slaves.
(d) $2 million worth of slaves.
2. What does Zouga initially believe that Mungo is carrying on the ship to trade?
(a) Copper wire and gold.
(c) Beads and copper wire.
3. What "treasures" are the tribal warriors in search of that caused them to leave their homeland?
4. When Zouga's sister turns Mungo in and the British navy boards Mungo's ship, how many slaves are on the ship as living cargo?
5. At Jordan's luncheon, who presents Louise with a "perfect" diamond?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Zouga's Hottentot retainer?
2. What does Zouga initially offer to pay the men who agree to work on his claim?
3. What is the name of Zouga's eldest son?
4. Before embarking on the journey to Colesberg, how many years does Zouga spend chasing his grandiose dream?
5. When Zouga introduces himself to the warriors he comes upon, by what name does he introduce himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Mungo St. John's reaction when the British navy tried to board his ship?
2. Describe what Ralph looks like after he has been to see Dr. Jameson after the fight with Zouga.
3. Giving up the statue was especially painful for Jordan. What does Jordan equate the statue with?
4. Why does Ralph leave school?
5. According to the descriptions given in the book, what are a monkey and a donkey?
6. After Mungo has been released from prison in Cape Town, Zouga loses contact with Mungo. How do they finally make contact with each other again?
7. As Zouga prepares to keep the rendezvous with the nameless man, Zouga only has his claims left to sell. Why is Zouga unwilling to sell his claims?
8. When the tribal warriors first reach the diamond claim, what does Jan Cheroot have to show them?
9. Why does Ralph challenge his father when Zouga comes off the veranda brandishing his whip?
10. Describe the reaction of Zouga's wife when she first arrives in Africa.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)