|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jadaan respond to Abdallah's request for advice?
(a) He tells him to use a gun.
(b) He tells him to leave the gazelles alone.
(c) He tells him to use a rope.
(d) He tells him to use a car.
2. Why does Umm Saad feel the way she does concerning her son?
(a) She is unhappy with her family.
(b) She is worried about him.
(c) She is angry for him leaving.
(d) She is worried he will come back.
3. When did Jadaan fall in love?
(a) When he was in school.
(b) When he was hunting gazelles.
(c) When he was working as a guard.
(d) When he was a child.
4. What do Saad and his companions want to do immediately?
(a) Go home.
(b) Go to war.
(c) Go to university.
(d) Get married.
5. What does Mubarak ask Abdallah?
(a) To give him an advance.
(b) To write a complaint for him.
(c) To give him a raise.
(d) To hire his friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Umm Saad say the commander should do?
2. What background are the guards of, in "The Falcon"?
3. How often does Umm Saad visit someone after her move?
4. In "A Hand in the Grave," why does the father feel the way he does?
5. What does Suhail complain about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the story of the Nar.
2. How do Nabil and Suhail react upon entering the graveyard?
3. What does Nabil's physical appearance at the beginning of the story say about him?
4. What does the father's religiousness foreshadow in "A Hand in the Grave"?
5. What is the rumor concerning Jadaan and a red-haired woman?
6. What does Umm Saad think of her other two children?
7. How do the images of Umm Saad vary, regarding her temperament?
8. What has Saad done, and how does his mother initially react?
9. How does Umm Saad support her son at the end of the story?
10. In "The Falcon," where did the gazelle go when it left, and why?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)