|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Umm Saad's cousin respond to the idea Umm Saad has of doing something for her son?
(a) He says that soldiers have no need for mothers.
(b) He says soldiers always need their mothers.
(c) He says that she should come up with another idea.
(d) He says that she should follow through with her idea.
2. What does Umm Saad say about children?
(a) They are hopeless.
(b) They are slavery.
(c) They are her only hope.
(d) They are getting high marks in school.
3. How does Jadaan respond to Abdallah's request for advice?
(a) He tells him to use a rope.
(b) He tells him to use a car.
(c) He tells him to use a gun.
(d) He tells him to leave the gazelles alone.
4. What does Nabil end up studying?
5. Who is Umm Saad's favorite child?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nabil's sister offer to her father?
2. What does Nabil pack in his bag?
3. How does Mubarak feel around Jadaan?
4. Where did Umm Saad used to live?
5. Why does Umm Saad feel the way she does concerning her son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jadaan similar to Nar?
2. Briefly describe the story of the Nar.
3. How does Umm Saad support her son at the end of the story?
4. Why does Nabil decide to rob a grave?
5. What unique trait of motherhood does Umm Saad display when speaking about Saad?
6. How is Umm Saad related to the narrator, and how is this revealed?
7. How do Nabil and Suhail react upon entering the graveyard?
8. What did Jadaan do after he met the red-haired woman?
9. Why is Umm Saad disappointed when the narrator tells her that soldiers have no need for mothers?
10. What happens to Suhail after the graveyard plan?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)