|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Marwan's brother's name?
(a) Abu Qais.
2. What happened to Abul Khaizarun during the war?
(a) He lost his wife.
(b) He lost his manhood.
(c) He lost his leg.
(d) He lost his arm.
3. In "If You Were a Horse," what did the father do following his wife's death?
(a) He traded Barq.
(b) He gave his son up for adoption.
(c) He sold his horses.
(d) He bought more horses.
4. What rivers does Abu Qais recall his teacher talking about?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Tigris and Nile.
(c) Nile and Euphrates.
(d) Tigris and Euphrates.
5. Why does the father want to do what he is thinking of doing in "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
(a) To satiate his anger.
(b) To end their pain and suffering.
(c) Because he hates his family.
(d) Because it is what all fathers do.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Barq's unique trait predict, according to superstition?
2. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," where do the men stop on the way out of the town?
3. How will Abul Khaizarun smuggle the men?
4. In "If You Were a Horse," why does the son abandon his thoughts about his father?
5. What does the proprietor insist to Assad about the smuggling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What foreshadows the importance of the river in "Men in the Sun"?
2. Why are the kids sent to the hills so often in "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
3. Why did Marwan's father leave Marwan's mother?
4. In "If You Were a Horse," why does the father wish his son were a horse?
5. In "If You Were a Horse," why is the son's belief that his father hates him and horses ironic?
6. Why is Abul Khaizarun not married?
7. What does the orange look like at the end of "The Land of Sad Oranges," and what does it represent at the end?
8. What does the son realize at the end of "If You Were a Horse"?
9. What does Abul Khaizarun compare the road from Basra to Kuwait as, and why is this ironic?
10. What is ironic about Abul Khaizarun confirming the bad reputation of smugglers?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)