|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Abu Qais feel insignificant?
(a) His friends make him feel that way.
(b) He lives off an inheritance rather than working.
(c) He doesn't even own his own home.
(d) He has a low IQ.
2. Who does Abul Khaizarun introduce himself to first?
(b) Abu Qais.
(d) Ustaz Selim.
3. When does the Arab army enter Palestine?
(a) May 15th.
(b) April 20th.
(c) May 20th.
(d) April 15th.
4. What did the father do about the advice on the horse?
(a) He took their advice.
(b) He didn't understand the advice.
(c) He ignored it.
(d) He followed some advice, but not all of it.
5. What sets off the father one day in "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
(a) Losing his job.
(b) A fight between the kids.
(c) A small request from the kids.
(d) A fight with his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the son in "If You Were a Horse" asks his father why he says the statement about a horse to him, what does the father reply?
2. In "If You Were a Horse," where does the son find this object?
3. Where does Assad stay in Basra?
4. In "Men in the Sun," what kind of weather do the men encounter on the journey?
5. What kind of unique trait did Barq have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is all the foreshadowing of death fulfilled in the end of "Men in the Sun"?
2. What did the orange represent in the beginning of "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
3. In "If You Were a Horse," why does the father wish his son were a horse?
4. What foreshadows the importance of the river in "Men in the Sun"?
5. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," why does the father come up with the murderous idea?
6. What does a reddish mole predict, according to superstition?
7. What is ironic about the conversation Abul Khaizarun has with a man in the customs office?
8. In "If You Were a Horse," why is the son's belief that his father hates him and horses ironic?
9. Why is Abul Khaizarun delayed when he passes through customs?
10. Why does the father resent Abu Muhammad?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)