|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "If You Were a Horse," what does the echo of the footsteps of the son resemble?
(a) A galloping horse.
(b) Abu Ibrahim's footsteps.
(c) His father's footsteps.
(d) His mother's footsteps.
2. Who does Abul Khaizarun introduce himself to first?
(a) Ustaz Selim.
(d) Abu Qais.
3. When does the family reach Sidon?
(a) In the middle of the night.
(b) In the afternoon.
(c) In the morning.
(d) At dusk.
4. What happened to Marwan's father?
(a) He was arrested.
(b) He left them.
(c) He died.
(d) He fell into a coma.
5. Where does Assad stay in Basra?
(a) Abu Qais's house.
(b) A relative's house.
(c) A motel.
(d) The Shatt Hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "If You Were a Horse," what does the son feel about his father?
2. In "If You Were a Horse," why does the son abandon his thoughts about his father?
3. Why does it take Abul Khaizarun so long to get back to the lorry?
4. When the son in "If You Were a Horse" asks his father why he says the statement about a horse to him, what does the father reply?
5. What is the name of the horse that the son finds notes on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Abul Khaizarun confirming the bad reputation of smugglers?
2. What foreshadows the importance of the river in "Men in the Sun"?
3. In "If You Were a Horse," why does the father wish his son were a horse?
4. Why did Marwan's father leave Marwan's mother?
5. Why is Abul Khaizarun not married?
6. What does the narrator's confusion about the father's money infer in "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
7. Why is the father so depressed in "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
8. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," when a child requests something from his father, what happens?
9. Why is Abu Qais hopeless?
10. In "If You Were a Horse," how is the father's battle over the superstition similar to the battle with his son?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)