|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of unique trait did Barq have?
(a) A white spot.
(b) A purple patch.
(c) A red patch.
(d) An unusual hoof.
2. In "If You Were a Horse," who killed the horse?
(a) Abu Muhammad.
(b) The wife.
(c) The son.
(d) The father.
3. What did the father do about the advice on the horse?
(a) He didn't understand the advice.
(b) He took their advice.
(c) He followed some advice, but not all of it.
(d) He ignored it.
4. Who lies to Assad and leaves him on the road?
(a) Abul Khaizarun.
(c) Ustaz Selim.
5. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," what do the men do at the stop on the way out of the town?
(a) Relinquish their weapons.
(b) Find shelter.
(c) Buy more supplies.
(d) Buy more weapons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mood is the father in when they reach Sidon?
2. How long does Abul Khaizarun actually leave the men in the tank?
3. What is Marwan's brother's name?
4. How long does Abul Khaizarun promise the men that he'll leave them in the tank?
5. On what condition does Assad borrow the money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abul Khaizarun compare the road from Basra to Kuwait as, and why is this ironic?
2. Why did Marwan's father leave Marwan's mother?
3. What is ironic about Abul Khaizarun confirming the bad reputation of smugglers?
4. In "If You Were a Horse," what does the black notebook reveal?
5. Why is Abu Qais hopeless?
6. Why are the kids sent to the hills so often in "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
7. What does the narrator's confusion about the father's money infer in "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
8. What foreshadows the importance of the river in "Men in the Sun"?
9. In "If You Were a Horse," how is the father's battle over the superstition similar to the battle with his son?
10. What does the orange look like at the end of "The Land of Sad Oranges," and what does it represent at the end?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)