|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," what happens to Acre?
(a) Nothing happens to it.
(b) Arab guerillas take over.
(c) An earthquake hits it.
(d) The Jews attack the town.
2. How will Abul Khaizarun smuggle the men?
(a) In a large car.
(b) In a wheelbarrow.
(c) In a tractor bed.
(d) In the water tank.
3. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," what does the father do immediately after he declares what he wants to do?
(a) He falls silent and lies on the floor, weeping.
(b) He has a heart attack and dies.
(c) He runs out of the house.
(d) He kills his family.
4. What sets off the father one day in "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
(a) Losing his job.
(b) A fight between the kids.
(c) A fight with his wife.
(d) A small request from the kids.
5. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," why does the family dread the night?
(a) Because they will miss their home more at night.
(b) Because it will be very cold.
(c) Because it will be very hot.
(d) Because they will have to sleep on the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "If You Were a Horse," why is the father afraid of his son?
2. What rivers does Abu Qais recall his teacher talking about?
3. What does the mother tell the children to do when the father is set off in "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
4. When the son in "If You Were a Horse" asks his father why he says the statement about a horse to him, what does the father reply?
5. In "If You Were a Horse," when did the son's mother die?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "If You Were a Horse," how is the father's battle over the superstition similar to the battle with his son?
2. What does Abul Khaizarun compare the road from Basra to Kuwait as, and why is this ironic?
3. Why are the kids sent to the hills so often in "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
4. Why is the father so depressed in "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
5. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," when a child requests something from his father, what happens?
6. In "If You Were a Horse," why does the father refuse to allow his son to perform his surgery?
7. In "If You Were a Horse," what does the black notebook reveal?
8. What does the narrator's confusion about the father's money infer in "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
9. What foreshadows the deaths of Marwan, Abu Qais, and Assad?
10. What does the orange look like at the end of "The Land of Sad Oranges," and what does it represent at the end?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)