|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does it take Abul Khaizarun so long to get back to the lorry?
(a) He took his time.
(b) He went and ate lunch.
(c) The customs men hold a long conversation.
(d) He fell down the stairs.
2. Who does Assad borrow the money from?
(a) His father.
(b) His uncle.
(c) The bank.
3. Who does Abul Khaizarun introduce himself to first?
(b) Ustaz Selim.
(c) Abu Qais.
4. When the son in "If You Were a Horse" asks his father why he says the statement about a horse to him, what does the father reply?
(a) Sometimes it is necessary to trade horses.
(b) Sometimes it is necessary to have a new hobby.
(c) Sometimes it is necessary to set a horse free.
(d) Sometimes it is necessary to kill a horse.
5. Who lies to Assad and leaves him on the road?
(c) Abul Khaizarun.
(d) Ustaz Selim.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Abul Khaizarun promise the men that he'll leave them in the tank?
2. What happens to Assad, Marwan, and Abu Qais at the end of "Men in the Sun"?
3. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," what do the men do at the stop on the way out of the town?
4. What did Marwan's brother do after he married?
5. What does the damp earth smell like to Abu Qais?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the antagonists in "The Land of Sad Oranges," and why?
2. What does Abul Khaizarun compare the road from Basra to Kuwait as, and why is this ironic?
3. Why are the kids sent to the hills so often in "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
4. What does the relinquishing of the weapons at Ras Naquora foreshadow?
5. Why is Abul Khaizarun delayed when he passes through customs?
6. What foreshadows the deaths of Marwan, Abu Qais, and Assad?
7. What does the narrator's confusion about the father's money infer in "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
8. Why did Marwan's father leave Marwan's mother?
9. What is ironic about Abul Khaizarun confirming the bad reputation of smugglers?
10. Why is Abu Qais hopeless?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)