|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is the journey to Kuwait?
(a) 50 km.
(b) 200 km.
(c) 150 km.
(d) 75 km.
2. What did Barq's unique trait predict, according to superstition?
(a) That the horse would kill someone close to the father.
(b) That the horse would kill the son.
(c) That the horse would save someone close to the father.
(d) That the father would kill someone close to him.
3. How did the father feel about the horse?
(a) He had no feelings for the horse.
(b) He loved the horse.
(c) He hated the horse.
(d) He felt burdened by the horse.
4. When the narrator runs to the mountains, what does he leave behind in "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
(b) His family.
(c) His childhood.
(d) His toys.
5. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," what is the father's mood like immediately after the move?
(a) He is happy for a while.
(b) He is very angry.
(c) He is serene.
(d) He is extremely depressed.
6. What mood is the father in when they reach Sidon?
7. What happened to Marwan's father?
(a) He left them.
(b) He died.
(c) He was arrested.
(d) He fell into a coma.
8. What rivers does Abu Qais recall his teacher talking about?
(a) Tigris and Nile.
(b) Nile and Euphrates.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Tigris and Euphrates.
9. In "If You Were a Horse," what did the horse do?
(a) Saved the father's wife from drowning.
(b) Killed the father's wife savagely.
(c) Injured the father irreparably.
(d) Saved the son from drowning.
10. In "Men in the Sun," what kind of weather do the men encounter on the journey?
(a) Unbearable cold.
(b) Cool weather.
(c) Unbearable heat.
11. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," what kind of reaction does the object the mother hands to the father incite?
(a) He starts weeping.
(b) He has no reaction.
(c) He yells at her.
(d) He throws it on the ground.
12. In "If You Were a Horse," when the son asks his father if he hates him, what does the father reply?
(a) He is neutral about him.
(b) He is afraid of him.
(c) He does hate him.
(d) He wishes he were different.
13. How much does Marwan have to pay to go to Kuwait, according to Abul Khaizarun's price?
(a) Ten dinars.
(c) Five dinars.
(d) Fifteen dinars.
14. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," what does the narrator realize the father wants to do?
(a) Leave the family.
(b) He wants to kill the children and himself.
(c) Kill his wife and flee.
(d) Kill himself only.
15. In "If You Were a Horse," what did the father do following his wife's death?
(a) He gave his son up for adoption.
(b) He traded Barq.
(c) He sold his horses.
(d) He bought more horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "If You Were a Horse," what does this object that the son finds contain?
2. When does the family reach Sidon?
3. In "If You Were a Horse," who killed the horse?
4. What did the father do about the advice on the horse?
5. What is the name of Abu Qais' teacher?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)