|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the father feel about the horse?
(a) He loved the horse.
(b) He hated the horse.
(c) He felt burdened by the horse.
(d) He had no feelings for the horse.
2. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," when does the narrator return to the house?
(a) The afternoon.
(b) The morning.
(c) The middle of the night.
(d) At dusk.
3. How will Abul Khaizarun smuggle the men?
(a) In the water tank.
(b) In a large car.
(c) In a wheelbarrow.
(d) In a tractor bed.
4. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," what does the narrator realize the father wants to do?
(a) Leave the family.
(b) Kill his wife and flee.
(c) He wants to kill the children and himself.
(d) Kill himself only.
5. What did Marwan's brother do after he married?
(a) He sent more money.
(b) He moved back to his family.
(c) He stopped sending money.
(d) He lived with his brother.
6. In "If You Were a Horse," when did the son's mother die?
(a) Three years after giving birth to him.
(b) When he was a teenager.
(c) Shortly after giving birth to him.
(d) As she gave birth to him.
7. What does the proprietor insist to Assad about the smuggling?
(a) Assad must pay afterward.
(b) Assad must pay beforehand.
(c) Assad must pay weeks in advance.
(d) Assad must find five other men to be smuggled.
8. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," what does the father do immediately after he declares what he wants to do?
(a) He kills his family.
(b) He runs out of the house.
(c) He falls silent and lies on the floor, weeping.
(d) He has a heart attack and dies.
9. What does the son find in "If You Were a Horse"?
(a) A picture.
(b) An album.
(c) A letter.
(d) A black leather notebook.
10. In "If You Were a Horse," what did the father do following his wife's death?
(a) He gave his son up for adoption.
(b) He sold his horses.
(c) He traded Barq.
(d) He bought more horses.
11. How much does Marwan have to pay to go to Kuwait, according to Abul Khaizarun's price?
(a) Five dinars.
(b) Fifteen dinars.
(c) Ten dinars.
12. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," what is the father's mood like immediately after the move?
(a) He is extremely depressed.
(b) He is happy for a while.
(c) He is serene.
(d) He is very angry.
13. Why does Abu Qais feel insignificant?
(a) He lives off an inheritance rather than working.
(b) He has a low IQ.
(c) He doesn't even own his own home.
(d) His friends make him feel that way.
14. What mood is the father in when they reach Sidon?
15. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," where does the family move?
(a) The outskirts of Acre.
(c) The United States.
(d) The outskirts of Sidon.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "If You Were a Horse," where did the father move after his wife's death?
2. When the son in "If You Were a Horse" asks his father why he says the statement about a horse to him, what does the father reply?
3. What is the orange like at the end of "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
4. How long is the journey to Kuwait?
5. Who does Abul Khaizarun introduce himself to first?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)