|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the father do about the advice on the horse?
(a) He didn't understand the advice.
(b) He took their advice.
(c) He ignored it.
(d) He followed some advice, but not all of it.
2. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," what does the narrator realize the father wants to do?
(a) He wants to kill the children and himself.
(b) Kill himself only.
(c) Leave the family.
(d) Kill his wife and flee.
3. What kind of journey is it to Kuwait?
4. What happened to Abul Khaizarun during the war?
(a) He lost his leg.
(b) He lost his wife.
(c) He lost his arm.
(d) He lost his manhood.
5. Who suggests to Abu Qais that he move to Kuwait?
(c) Ustaz Selim.
6. What did Marwan's brother do after he married?
(a) He moved back to his family.
(b) He lived with his brother.
(c) He sent more money.
(d) He stopped sending money.
7. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," when does the narrator return to the house?
(a) At dusk.
(b) The morning.
(c) The afternoon.
(d) The middle of the night.
8. In "If You Were a Horse," what does the echo of the footsteps of the son resemble?
(a) A galloping horse.
(b) Abu Ibrahim's footsteps.
(c) His father's footsteps.
(d) His mother's footsteps.
9. Who does Assad borrow the money from?
(a) His father.
(c) His uncle.
(d) The bank.
10. What did the father's friends advise him to do about a particular horse?
(a) To sell or kill the horse.
(b) To give them the horse.
(c) To raise the horse well.
(d) To buy the horse a companion.
11. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," what does the father do immediately after he declares what he wants to do?
(a) He has a heart attack and dies.
(b) He kills his family.
(c) He runs out of the house.
(d) He falls silent and lies on the floor, weeping.
12. In "If You Were a Horse," why is the father afraid of his son?
(a) Because the son has mental problems.
(b) Because his son is evil.
(c) Because the father has mental problems.
(d) The son has a reddish mole.
13. What rivers does Abu Qais recall his teacher talking about?
(a) Tigris and Euphrates.
(b) Tigris and Nile.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Nile and Euphrates.
14. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," what happens to the narrator and his family?
(a) Members of the family are killed in the war.
(b) They flee in a hurry.
(c) They remain in Acre.
(d) They come to the United States.
15. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," why does the father send the children to do a particular task every morning?
(a) So the house can be clean.
(b) To distract them from their hunger.
(c) So they can have breakfast.
(d) To get them an education.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the horse that the son finds notes on?
2. Who procures shelter for the family in "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
3. How did the father feel about the horse?
4. In "If You Were a Horse," when the son asks his father if he hates him, what does the father reply?
5. How long does Abul Khaizarun actually leave the men in the tank?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)