|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How will Abul Khaizarun smuggle the men?
(a) In a large car.
(b) In the water tank.
(c) In a tractor bed.
(d) In a wheelbarrow.
2. When does the Arab army enter Palestine?
(a) May 15th.
(b) April 20th.
(c) April 15th.
(d) May 20th.
3. Why does the father want to do what he is thinking of doing in "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
(a) To end their pain and suffering.
(b) Because it is what all fathers do.
(c) To satiate his anger.
(d) Because he hates his family.
4. Why is the son afraid that his father is dead in "If You Were a Horse"?
(a) Because he did not perform the surgery well.
(b) Because he did not perform the surgery.
(c) Because he saw a vision of his father dead.
(d) Because his father had very bad cancer.
5. What did Barq's unique trait predict, according to superstition?
(a) That the horse would kill the son.
(b) That the father would kill someone close to him.
(c) That the horse would save someone close to the father.
(d) That the horse would kill someone close to the father.
6. What does Marwan do in the morning?
(a) He visits his mother.
(b) He writes a long letter to his mom.
(c) He goes to find money.
(d) He visits his brother.
7. What kind of unique trait did Barq have?
(a) A white spot.
(b) A purple patch.
(c) An unusual hoof.
(d) A red patch.
8. What happens to Assad, Marwan, and Abu Qais at the end of "Men in the Sun"?
(a) They are very seriously injured, but survive.
(b) They go back home.
(c) They die in the water tank.
(d) They start a new life in Kuwait.
9. What is the name of the horse that the son finds notes on?
10. In "If You Were a Horse," when the son asks his father if he hates him, what does the father reply?
(a) He does hate him.
(b) He wishes he were different.
(c) He is afraid of him.
(d) He is neutral about him.
11. What rivers does Abu Qais recall his teacher talking about?
(a) Tigris and Euphrates.
(b) Tigris and Nile.
(c) Nile and Euphrates.
(d) None of the above.
12. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," why does the father send the children to do a particular task every morning?
(a) So the house can be clean.
(b) To get them an education.
(c) So they can have breakfast.
(d) To distract them from their hunger.
13. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," what does the father send the children to do every morning?
(a) Buy food.
(b) To climb the hills.
(c) Go to school.
(d) Do household chores.
14. What did Marwan's brother do after he married?
(a) He moved back to his family.
(b) He stopped sending money.
(c) He lived with his brother.
(d) He sent more money.
15. In "If You Were a Horse," where does the son find this object?
(a) In a closet.
(b) In the mailbox.
(c) In a drawer.
(d) In his dad's bag.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Marwan's brother's name?
2. In "If You Were a Horse," what illness does the father have?
3. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," what happens to the narrator and his family?
4. In "The Land of Sad Oranges," where do the men stop on the way out of the town?
5. In "If You Were a Horse," why does the father tell his son he wishes he were a horse?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)