• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Ogawa, Yoko. The Memory Police. Pantheon Books, 2019. Orig. publication date in Japanese: 1994. E-book.
• Chapter 1 begins on page 2.
• The unnamed narrator introduces herself and states that her mother had been a sculptor.
• Her mother had used the basement as her art studio and the narrator recalls sitting on a small stool that was reserved for her use within her mother’s studio.
• The narrator used to like to listen to the water rushing outside, since the house had been built very close to the river.
• The narrator recalls that on many occasions, her mother would go to the cabinet in the basement to show her strange and unfamiliar objects.
• Her mother would use these occasions to tell the narrator about objects that had already been “disappeared” (4) from the island.
• She recalls one time when...
This section contains 7,792 words
(approx. 26 pages at 300 words per page)