|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of earrings does the narrator give the girl?
2. What does the narrator bring to the girl after their time apart?
3. Who does the narrator think can lead him to the lost girl?
4. The narrator's column becomes ________.
5. What kind of music does the narrator listen to when he is missing the girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does his time with the girl change the narrator?
2. What happens with the narrator's cat in Chapter 4?
3. Why does Rosa Cabarcas pull the narrator from the girl's bed one night?
4. What does the narrator think is the real explanation for Rosa Cabarcas's long absence?
5. What happens when the narrator sees a bicycle that has been hit by a bus?
6. What is the song that the narrator likes to sing to the girl about Delgadina?
7. How do the newspapers portray the death of the man murdered at Rosa's?
8. How does the narrator react to the false account of the murdered man?
9. What is the narrator's experience like reading to the girl?
10. How does the narrator's feeling for the girl change his column?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is ironic about the narrator's ninetieth year? How does the author draw on this irony to illustrate a greater truth?
Essay Topic 2
Is the narrator in love with the girl's body, or is there some deeper meaning to their relationship for the narrator? Is there something from the narrator's past that explains his obsession with this girl? Provide quotes and examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of the narrator investigating the young girl hit by a bus on her bicycle? Why does the narrator go to the hospital in order to see the victim? What is the greater truth he discovers while he is there?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)