|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sealed up Rosa's house?
2. The narrator refers to fame as a __________.
3. In his sorrow over the cat's fate, what does the narrator compare the cat to in a column?
4. Whose poems is the narrator finally able to translate in the midst of his illness?
5. Who does the narrator think left the message scrawled in lipstick in the girl's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator's feeling for the girl change his column?
2. How does the narrator react to the false account of the murdered man?
3. What does the narrator find on the mirror the morning after his second night with the girl?
4. What does the narrator do to try to rectify the false account of the banker's death?
5. What gifts do the narrator and the girl exchange for Christmas?
6. What does Rosa Cabarcas tell the narrator the girl's life is like?
7. Why does the narrator trace the sleeping girl's hand?
8. What happens when the narrator sees a bicycle that has been hit by a bus?
9. What is the narrator's experience like reading to the girl?
10. What does the narrator think is the real explanation for Rosa Cabarcas's long absence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the gift that the girl gives to the narrator throughout the novel? Is the inheritance he will leave her a greater gift than the one she has given him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the lasting impression that "Memories of My Melancholy Whores" makes on the reader? What do you think the author's intent was in writing this novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of the narrator investigating the young girl hit by a bus on her bicycle? Why does the narrator go to the hospital in order to see the victim? What is the greater truth he discovers while he is there?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)