|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator imagine the girl asking him about at breakfast?
2. What does Rosa Cabarcas suggest the narrator do after he destroys the girls room?
3. Who sealed up Rosa's house?
4. Who wanted the narrator to read romance books?
5. What does the storm destroy at the narrator's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator trace the sleeping girl's hand?
2. How does his time with the girl change the narrator?
3. What does the narrator discuss during his breakfasts with Rosa Cabarcas?
4. What does the narrator do to try to rectify the false account of the banker's death?
5. What does his love for the girl cause the narrator to see about himself?
6. Why does Rosa Cabarcas pull the narrator from the girl's bed one night?
7. What does the narrator think is the real explanation for Rosa Cabarcas's long absence?
8. What kind of objects does the narrator bring to the girl's room?
9. What does the narrator imagine happened during the stormy night?
10. What is the narrator's phone conversation like with Rosa Cabarcas after her long absence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What could the message scrawled in lipstick in the mirror mean and what is the larger purpose for this element of the plot? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What is the nature of the narrator's relationship with Rosa Cabarcas? What does their relationship illustrate in the novel? Give textual support for your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difference between the flat and round characters in "Memories of My Melancholy Whores." What purpose did the girl serve in the narrative? What purpose did Rosa Cabarcas serve? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)