|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator think he is dying from?
2. What is the painting called that the narrator hangs in the girl's room?
3. Who does the girl spend Christmas with?
4. Where does Rosa Cabarcas tell the narrator she has been after her month-long disappearance?
5. What is the girl's hair like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rosa Cabarcas tell the narrator the girl's life is like?
2. What is the song that the narrator likes to sing to the girl about Delgadina?
3. Why does Rosa Cabarcas pull the narrator from the girl's bed one night?
4. What is the narrator's experience like reading to the girl?
5. What does the narrator do to try to rectify the false account of the banker's death?
6. How do the newspapers portray the death of the man murdered at Rosa's?
7. How does the narrator react to the false account of the murdered man?
8. What happens when the narrator sees a bicycle that has been hit by a bus?
9. What does his love for the girl cause the narrator to see about himself?
10. What gifts do the narrator and the girl exchange for Christmas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the narrator investigating the young girl hit by a bus on her bicycle? Why does the narrator go to the hospital in order to see the victim? What is the greater truth he discovers while he is there?
Essay Topic 2
What is the meaning behind the title of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is ironic about the narrator's ninetieth year? How does the author draw on this irony to illustrate a greater truth?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)