|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the newspapers accuse of murdering the dead man from Rosa's?
2. What upsets the narrator most about the girl's appearance after their time apart?
3. What does the narrator buy in the midst of reordering his house?
4. Who takes the ill cat to the veterinarian?
5. What does the narrator's house smell like when he returns to find the leaks from the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator trace the sleeping girl's hand?
2. What happens when the narrator sees a bicycle that has been hit by a bus?
3. What does the narrator do to try to rectify the false account of the banker's death?
4. What happens with the narrator's cat in Chapter 4?
5. What does the narrator discuss during his breakfasts with Rosa Cabarcas?
6. What does the narrator think is the real explanation for Rosa Cabarcas's long absence?
7. How does the narrator's feeling for the girl change his column?
8. What does the narrator realize when he chases a girl, thinking she is his Delgadina?
9. What does the narrator do about his cat in the first few days of ownership?
10. How does his time with the girl change the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is ironic about the narrator's ninetieth year? How does the author draw on this irony to illustrate a greater truth?
Essay Topic 2
How do the cultural and historical aspects of the setting impact the narrative? How do they impact the themes of morality and love?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of the narrator investigating the young girl hit by a bus on her bicycle? Why does the narrator go to the hospital in order to see the victim? What is the greater truth he discovers while he is there?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)