|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the narrator get paid a month to write his column?
2. What month is the narrator's birthday in?
3. What kind of cat does the narrator get for his birthday?
4. Where does the girl work during the day?
5. How many sheets of paper does the narrator always keep on his desk for writing his column?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe his writing desk?
2. What kind of gifts does the narrator get from the newspaper staff for his birthday?
3. What does the narrator discuss during his breakfasts with Rosa Cabarcas?
4. What happens when the narrator goes to turn in his resignation at the newspaper?
5. What does the narrator tell Casilda Armenta over lunch?
6. What does the narrator decide to give himself for a birthday gift?
7. What does Rosa Cabarcas tell the narrator the girl's life is like?
8. Describe how the narrator almost married once.
9. What does the narrator decide with Rosa Cabarcas shortly before his ninety-first birthday?
10. What is the song that the narrator likes to sing to the girl about Delgadina?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss both the narrative tone and structure of "Memories of My Melancholy Whores" and their impact on the reader's experience. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What is the gift that the girl gives to the narrator throughout the novel? Is the inheritance he will leave her a greater gift than the one she has given him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Is the narrator in love with the girl's body, or is there some deeper meaning to their relationship for the narrator? Is there something from the narrator's past that explains his obsession with this girl? Provide quotes and examples from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)