|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator's mother die from?
2. What does the narrator do the night after he first sees the girl?
3. What does the narrator put in his morning coffee?
4. What day of the week does the narrator's birthday fall on?
5. What does Rosa Cabarcas tease the narrator about after his first night with the girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's first experience like with the girl?
2. What request did the narrator's mother make on her deathbed?
3. How does the narrator describe the editor of the newspaper?
4. What happens when the narrator is the honored guest at a concert? What does he remember most from the evening?
5. What evidence does the narrator give of how he is aging?
6. What evidence does the narrator give of his healthy sex life?
7. What is the narrator's relationship like with his housekeeper?
8. How has the narrator supplemented his income over the years?
9. Why does the narrator not consummate his first visit with the girl?
10. How does the narrator describe his writing desk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the narrator remember when he returns to the part of town where his father used to work? What does this memory illuminate about the narrator and the choices he made throughout his life?
Essay Topic 2
What is the nature of the narrator's relationship with Rosa Cabarcas? What does their relationship illustrate in the novel? Give textual support for your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Is the narrator in love with the girl's body, or is there some deeper meaning to their relationship for the narrator? Is there something from the narrator's past that explains his obsession with this girl? Provide quotes and examples from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)