|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one flaw of the narrator's home?
2. How many years did the housekeeper cry over her love for the narrator?
3. Who did the narrator's father rent the bottom floor of his home to?
4. What day does the narrator's column appear in the paper?
5. What does the narrator have a reputation for being?
Short Essay Questions
1. What request did the narrator's mother make on her deathbed?
2. What do the narrator and Rosa Cabarcas discuss in phone calls the day following his first night with the girl?
3. What kind of gifts does the narrator get from the newspaper staff for his birthday?
4. What is the current occupation of the narrator?
5. What is the narrator's relationship like with his housekeeper?
6. What is the narrator's first experience like with the girl?
7. What is the narrator's experience like when he goes to the animal shelter to pick up his cat?
8. What was the contrast between the narrator's sex life and his regular life?
9. What evidence does the narrator give of his healthy sex life?
10. What happens when the narrator goes to turn in his resignation at the newspaper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between the life in time and the life by value as embodied by the narrator in "Memories of My Melancholy Whores"? Give specific examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What does the narrator remember when he returns to the part of town where his father used to work? What does this memory illuminate about the narrator and the choices he made throughout his life?
Essay Topic 3
What is the lasting impression that "Memories of My Melancholy Whores" makes on the reader? What do you think the author's intent was in writing this novel?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)