|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many years did the narrator's fiancé leave the country after he left her at the altar?
2. What subjects did the narrator teach?
3. What does the narrator say caused him to lose all his lovers?
4. What do the secretaries at the newspaper give to the narrator for his birthday?
5. Who did the narrator's father rent the bottom floor of his home to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the narrator is the honored guest at a concert? What does he remember most from the evening?
2. What is the narrator's relationship like with his housekeeper?
3. What is the narrator's first experience like with the girl?
4. Describe how the narrator almost married once.
5. What request did the narrator's mother make on her deathbed?
6. How would the narrator court his fiancé?
7. What is the current occupation of the narrator?
8. What was the contrast between the narrator's sex life and his regular life?
9. What evidence does the narrator give of his healthy sex life?
10. How has the narrator supplemented his income over the years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of the individual versus society as it affects both the narrative and morality of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Is the narrator in love with the girl's body, or is there some deeper meaning to their relationship for the narrator? Is there something from the narrator's past that explains his obsession with this girl? Provide quotes and examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of the narrator investigating the young girl hit by a bus on her bicycle? Why does the narrator go to the hospital in order to see the victim? What is the greater truth he discovers while he is there?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)