|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator has a large _____ collection.
2. The narrator's students nicknamed him Professor ___________.
3. Whose statue can the narrator see from his balcony?
4. What time does the narrator wake each morning?
5. What kind of editor was the narrator at the newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What request did the narrator's mother make on her deathbed?
2. What happens when the narrator goes to turn in his resignation at the newspaper?
3. What is the narrator's experience like when he goes to the animal shelter to pick up his cat?
4. What kind of gifts does the narrator get from the newspaper staff for his birthday?
5. What is the narrator's relationship like with his housekeeper?
6. How does the narrator describe his writing desk?
7. What is the narrator's first experience like with the girl?
8. What is the current occupation of the narrator?
9. How would the narrator court his fiancé?
10. How has the narrator supplemented his income over the years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of the shelter cat the narrator acquires. Define symbolism and support your statements with textual references.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of the girl and the paradox of her age and innocence. Support your discussion with references to the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is ironic about the narrator's ninetieth year? How does the author draw on this irony to illustrate a greater truth?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)