|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After they ran out of things to talk about, how would the narrator spend his evenings with his fiancé?
2. What does the narrator's mother hope he will name a daughter someday?
3. How old was the narrator when he went to the doctor about back pain?
4. How many sheets of paper does the narrator always keep on his desk for writing his column?
5. What do the secretaries at the newspaper give to the narrator for his birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the song that the narrator likes to sing to the girl about Delgadina?
2. What is the narrator's relationship like with his housekeeper?
3. Who does the narrator run into on the bus one afternoon?
4. What does the narrator do to try to rectify the false account of the banker's death?
5. How does the narrator describe his writing desk?
6. What does the narrator decide to give himself for a birthday gift?
7. What kind of gifts does the narrator get from the newspaper staff for his birthday?
8. What does the doctor tell the narrator when he goes about his heart in Chapter 5?
9. What does the narrator remember when he goes by the building where his father worked?
10. How does the narrator react to the false account of the murdered man?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of love and redemption in the novel. Define theme and provide examples from the novel to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of the narrator investigating the young girl hit by a bus on her bicycle? Why does the narrator go to the hospital in order to see the victim? What is the greater truth he discovers while he is there?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of the individual versus society as it affects both the narrative and morality of the novel.
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)