Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did the housekeeper cry over her love for the narrator?
2. Who is the editor-in-chief talking to when the narrator goes into his office as requested?
3. What does the narrator put in his morning coffee?
4. What does the narrator do the night after he first sees the girl?
5. What did the narrator's mother die from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the narrator calls Rosa Cabarcas after his lunch with Casilda?
2. What quote strikes the narrator as being particularly poignant as he mourns the loss of his Delgadina?
3. What is the song that the narrator likes to sing to the girl about Delgadina?
4. What gifts do the narrator and the girl exchange for Christmas?
5. Describe how the narrator almost married once.
6. What does the narrator find on the mirror the morning after his second night with the girl?
7. How does the novel end?
8. What is the narrator's experience like when he goes to the animal shelter to pick up his cat?
9. What happens when the narrator runs into Ximena Ortiz in Chapter 5?
10. What happens on the narrator's taxi ride to the brothel the first time he goes to see the girl?
Essay Topic 1
Is the narrator in love with the girl's body, or is there some deeper meaning to their relationship for the narrator? Is there something from the narrator's past that explains his obsession with this girl? Provide quotes and examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
What is ironic about the narrator's ninetieth year? How does the author draw on this irony to illustrate a greater truth?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of the individual versus society as it affects both the narrative and morality of the novel.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)