|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What birthday is the narrator celebrating at the beginning of the novel?
2. How old was the narrator when he started living in the house alone?
3. What is the name of the girl to whom the narrator was engaged?
4. What month is the narrator's birthday in?
5. What kind of tile does the narrator's house have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator not consummate his first visit with the girl?
2. What is the narrator's experience like when he goes to the animal shelter to pick up his cat?
3. What is the only long term relationship in the narrator's life?
4. What was the contrast between the narrator's sex life and his regular life?
5. What does the narrator decide to give himself for a birthday gift?
6. What is the current occupation of the narrator?
7. How would the narrator court his fiancé?
8. Describe how the narrator almost married once.
9. What kind of gifts does the narrator get from the newspaper staff for his birthday?
10. Why won't the editor let the narrator resign from writing his column?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of the girl and the paradox of her age and innocence. Support your discussion with references to the text.
Essay Topic 2
How do the cultural and historical aspects of the setting impact the narrative? How do they impact the themes of morality and love?
Essay Topic 3
What is the meaning behind the title of the novel?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)