|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many women does the narrator dance with in the ceremony the night before his wedding?
2. What kind of tile does the narrator's house have?
3. What does the narrator put in his morning coffee?
4. What do the secretaries at the newspaper give to the narrator for his birthday?
5. What page of the newspaper did the narrator's column move to after his ruined wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the narrator's taxi ride to the brothel the first time he goes to see the girl?
2. What is the narrator's economic situation?
3. What request did the narrator's mother make on her deathbed?
4. Why won't the editor let the narrator resign from writing his column?
5. How has the narrator supplemented his income over the years?
6. What is the narrator's experience like when he goes to the animal shelter to pick up his cat?
7. Describe how the narrator almost married once.
8. What evidence does the narrator give of his healthy sex life?
9. How would the narrator court his fiancé?
10. What happens when the narrator is the honored guest at a concert? What does he remember most from the evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the nature of the narrator's relationship with Rosa Cabarcas? What does their relationship illustrate in the novel? Give textual support for your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of love and redemption in the novel. Define theme and provide examples from the novel to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of the individual versus society as it affects both the narrative and morality of the novel.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)