|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator put in his morning coffee?
2. The narrator compares his weekly column to what?
3. For how many years did the narrator's fiancé leave the country after he left her at the altar?
4. What kind of editor was the narrator at the newspaper?
5. How long has it been since Rosa Cabarcas heard from the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why won't the editor let the narrator resign from writing his column?
2. Why does the narrator not consummate his first visit with the girl?
3. What is the only long term relationship in the narrator's life?
4. What is the current occupation of the narrator?
5. What evidence does the narrator give of how he is aging?
6. What request did the narrator's mother make on her deathbed?
7. Describe how the narrator almost married once.
8. How does the narrator describe the editor of the newspaper?
9. How would the narrator court his fiancé?
10. What is the narrator's economic situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the narrator investigating the young girl hit by a bus on her bicycle? Why does the narrator go to the hospital in order to see the victim? What is the greater truth he discovers while he is there?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the difference between the flat and round characters in "Memories of My Melancholy Whores." What purpose did the girl serve in the narrative? What purpose did Rosa Cabarcas serve? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
What qualities does the narrator embody both as a character and as a narrator of the story? What makes him a reliable or unreliable narrator?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)