|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator's students nicknamed him Professor ___________.
2. Who would chaperone the narrator's evenings with his fiancé?
3. What does the narrator decide to give himself for a birthday gift?
4. The narrator's mother was a notable interpreter of ________.
5. How many women does the narrator dance with in the ceremony the night before his wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's first experience like with the girl?
2. How would the narrator court his fiancé?
3. How does the narrator describe his writing desk?
4. Why won't the editor let the narrator resign from writing his column?
5. Describe how the narrator almost married once.
6. What is the narrator's experience like when he goes to the animal shelter to pick up his cat?
7. How does the narrator describe the editor of the newspaper?
8. What kind of gifts does the narrator get from the newspaper staff for his birthday?
9. What happens when the narrator is the honored guest at a concert? What does he remember most from the evening?
10. What evidence does the narrator give of his healthy sex life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of sexual morality and how it resonates throughout the book. Define theme in your discussion and support your statements with examples and quotes.
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of the narrator investigating the young girl hit by a bus on her bicycle? Why does the narrator go to the hospital in order to see the victim? What is the greater truth he discovers while he is there?
Essay Topic 3
How do the cultural and historical aspects of the setting impact the narrative? How do they impact the themes of morality and love?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)