|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator describes himself as ugly, shy and __________.
2. For how many years did the narrator's fiancé leave the country after he left her at the altar?
3. What does the narrator do the night after he first sees the girl?
4. Who carved the narrator's writing desk?
5. What does the narrator put in his morning coffee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of gifts does the narrator get from the newspaper staff for his birthday?
2. What is the narrator's economic situation?
3. How does the narrator describe his writing desk?
4. What does the narrator decide to give himself for a birthday gift?
5. What evidence does the narrator give of his healthy sex life?
6. What happens when the narrator goes to turn in his resignation at the newspaper?
7. What is the narrator's experience like when he goes to the animal shelter to pick up his cat?
8. What request did the narrator's mother make on her deathbed?
9. Why does the narrator not consummate his first visit with the girl?
10. Describe how the narrator almost married once.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is ironic about the narrator's ninetieth year? How does the author draw on this irony to illustrate a greater truth?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of the narrator investigating the young girl hit by a bus on her bicycle? Why does the narrator go to the hospital in order to see the victim? What is the greater truth he discovers while he is there?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the allegorical implications of the song of Delgadina. Define allegory and provide examples or quotes to support your discussion.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)