|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the girl work during the day?
2. What time did the bride's family begin to knock on the narrator's door on the day he missed his wedding?
3. What kind of editor was the narrator at the newspaper?
4. What does the housekeeper give the narrator for his birthday?
5. What is the topic of the narrator's birthday column?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator do about his cat in the first few days of ownership?
2. What gifts do the narrator and the girl exchange for Christmas?
3. What happens when the narrator calls Rosa Cabarcas after his lunch with Casilda?
4. What happens with the narrator's cat in Chapter 4?
5. What request did the narrator's mother make on her deathbed?
6. What evidence does the narrator give of how he is aging?
7. What is the narrator's experience like when he goes to the animal shelter to pick up his cat?
8. How do the newspapers portray the death of the man murdered at Rosa's?
9. Why does the narrator trace the sleeping girl's hand?
10. What does the narrator tell Casilda Armenta over lunch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of love and redemption in the novel. Define theme and provide examples from the novel to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss both the narrative tone and structure of "Memories of My Melancholy Whores" and their impact on the reader's experience. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difference between the flat and round characters in "Memories of My Melancholy Whores." What purpose did the girl serve in the narrative? What purpose did Rosa Cabarcas serve? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)