|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the narrator when he went to the doctor about back pain?
2. How much does the narrator get paid a month to write his column?
3. What kind of editor was the narrator at the newspaper?
4. Who did the narrator's father rent the bottom floor of his home to?
5. How many sheets of paper does the narrator always keep on his desk for writing his column?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator decide to give himself for a birthday gift?
2. What is the current occupation of the narrator?
3. What happens on the narrator's taxi ride to the brothel the first time he goes to see the girl?
4. What is the narrator's first experience like with the girl?
5. What is the narrator's experience like when he goes to the animal shelter to pick up his cat?
6. What evidence does the narrator give of his healthy sex life?
7. What is the only long term relationship in the narrator's life?
8. What happens when the narrator goes to turn in his resignation at the newspaper?
9. What is the narrator's relationship like with his housekeeper?
10. What was the contrast between the narrator's sex life and his regular life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the nature of the narrator's relationship with Rosa Cabarcas? What does their relationship illustrate in the novel? Give textual support for your statements.
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between the life in time and the life by value as embodied by the narrator in "Memories of My Melancholy Whores"? Give specific examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
What could the message scrawled in lipstick in the mirror mean and what is the larger purpose for this element of the plot? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)