|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl to whom the narrator was engaged?
2. How many of the 48 original employees of the paper are still alive?
3. What was the narrator told would flee from his body when he died?
4. What does Rosa Cabarcas want to give the narrator for his birthday?
5. How old is the girl that Rosa Cabarcas finds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the contrast between the narrator's sex life and his regular life?
2. What happens when the narrator is the honored guest at a concert? What does he remember most from the evening?
3. What is the narrator's relationship like with his housekeeper?
4. Why won't the editor let the narrator resign from writing his column?
5. What happens on the narrator's taxi ride to the brothel the first time he goes to see the girl?
6. What evidence does the narrator give of his healthy sex life?
7. How does Rosa treat the narrator when he comes to meet the girl?
8. What is the narrator's first experience like with the girl?
9. What is the only long term relationship in the narrator's life?
10. What kind of gifts does the narrator get from the newspaper staff for his birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the nature of the narrator's relationship with Rosa Cabarcas? What does their relationship illustrate in the novel? Give textual support for your statements.
Essay Topic 2
How do the cultural and historical aspects of the setting impact the narrative? How do they impact the themes of morality and love?
Essay Topic 3
What qualities does the narrator embody both as a character and as a narrator of the story? What makes him a reliable or unreliable narrator?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)