|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the editor-in-chief of the newspaper?
2. What was the narrator told would flee from his body when he died?
3. What does Rosa Cabarcas want to give the narrator for his birthday?
4. What did the narrator's mother die from?
5. What is the topic of the narrator's birthday column?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the contrast between the narrator's sex life and his regular life?
2. What evidence does the narrator give of his healthy sex life?
3. What happens when the narrator is the honored guest at a concert? What does he remember most from the evening?
4. What is the narrator's experience like when he goes to the animal shelter to pick up his cat?
5. Why does the narrator not consummate his first visit with the girl?
6. What request did the narrator's mother make on her deathbed?
7. What happens on the narrator's taxi ride to the brothel the first time he goes to see the girl?
8. What kind of gifts does the narrator get from the newspaper staff for his birthday?
9. What is the narrator's economic situation?
10. How does Rosa treat the narrator when he comes to meet the girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the meaning behind the title of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the difference between the flat and round characters in "Memories of My Melancholy Whores." What purpose did the girl serve in the narrative? What purpose did Rosa Cabarcas serve? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of love and redemption in the novel. Define theme and provide examples from the novel to support your conclusions.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)