|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the red light district where the narrator spent most nights?
2. Who did the narrator's father rent the bottom floor of his home to?
3. What page of the newspaper did the narrator's column move to after his ruined wedding?
4. What does the narrator say caused him to lose all his lovers?
5. What kind of tile does the narrator's house have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator find on the mirror the morning after his second night with the girl?
2. What does the narrator decide with Rosa Cabarcas shortly before his ninety-first birthday?
3. What does the narrator tell Casilda Armenta over lunch?
4. What evidence does the narrator give of how he is aging?
5. How does the narrator handle not being able to contact the girl?
6. What request did the narrator's mother make on her deathbed?
7. Why won't the editor let the narrator resign from writing his column?
8. What is the narrator's phone conversation like with Rosa Cabarcas after her long absence?
9. What does Rosa Cabarcas tell the narrator the girl's life is like?
10. What is the narrator's experience like when he goes to the animal shelter to pick up his cat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What qualities does the narrator embody both as a character and as a narrator of the story? What makes him a reliable or unreliable narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of the individual versus society as it affects both the narrative and morality of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between the life in time and the life by value as embodied by the narrator in "Memories of My Melancholy Whores"? Give specific examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)