|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosa Cabarcas want to give the narrator for his birthday?
2. On occasion, the newspaper prints _______ as a favor to the narrator.
3. What time does the narrator wake each morning?
4. What does the narrator do the night after he first sees the girl?
5. What day does the narrator's column appear in the paper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the narrator goes to turn in his resignation at the newspaper?
2. What do the narrator and Rosa Cabarcas discuss in phone calls the day following his first night with the girl?
3. Why won't the editor let the narrator resign from writing his column?
4. What kind of gifts does the narrator get from the newspaper staff for his birthday?
5. What does the narrator decide to give himself for a birthday gift?
6. What is the current occupation of the narrator?
7. How does Rosa treat the narrator when he comes to meet the girl?
8. What evidence does the narrator give of how he is aging?
9. How would the narrator court his fiancé?
10. What is the narrator's economic situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of sexual morality and how it resonates throughout the book. Define theme in your discussion and support your statements with examples and quotes.
Essay Topic 2
What is the meaning behind the title of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is ironic about the narrator's ninetieth year? How does the author draw on this irony to illustrate a greater truth?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)