|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of tile does the narrator's house have?
2. What subjects did the narrator teach?
3. What does the narrator decide to give himself for a birthday gift?
4. What was the narrator told would flee from his body when he died?
5. The narrator compares his weekly column to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of gifts does the narrator get from the newspaper staff for his birthday?
2. How has the narrator supplemented his income over the years?
3. How does the narrator describe the editor of the newspaper?
4. What evidence does the narrator give of his healthy sex life?
5. What is the only long term relationship in the narrator's life?
6. What is the narrator's first experience like with the girl?
7. What do the narrator and Rosa Cabarcas discuss in phone calls the day following his first night with the girl?
8. What happens on the narrator's taxi ride to the brothel the first time he goes to see the girl?
9. Why won't the editor let the narrator resign from writing his column?
10. What does the narrator decide to give himself for a birthday gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What could the message scrawled in lipstick in the mirror mean and what is the larger purpose for this element of the plot? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What is the gift that the girl gives to the narrator throughout the novel? Is the inheritance he will leave her a greater gift than the one she has given him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of the individual versus society as it affects both the narrative and morality of the novel.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)