|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is the narrator's birthday in?
2. How many children did the narrator's fiancé end up having?
3. What is the name of the red light district where the narrator spent most nights?
4. How old is the girl that Rosa Cabarcas finds?
5. What is the one flaw of the narrator's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence does the narrator give of his healthy sex life?
2. Describe how the narrator almost married once.
3. What is the only long term relationship in the narrator's life?
4. What is the narrator's economic situation?
5. What is the narrator's experience like when he goes to the animal shelter to pick up his cat?
6. Why does the narrator not consummate his first visit with the girl?
7. How would the narrator court his fiancé?
8. What is the narrator's relationship like with his housekeeper?
9. What was the contrast between the narrator's sex life and his regular life?
10. How does the narrator describe his writing desk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of the shelter cat the narrator acquires. Define symbolism and support your statements with textual references.
Essay Topic 2
What is the meaning behind the title of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of the individual versus society as it affects both the narrative and morality of the novel.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)