|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the girl that Rosa Cabarcas finds?
2. What time does the narrator wake each morning?
3. How old is the editor-in-chief of the newspaper?
4. The narrator describes himself as ugly, shy and __________.
5. What subjects did the narrator teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What request did the narrator's mother make on her deathbed?
2. How does the narrator describe the editor of the newspaper?
3. What is the narrator's first experience like with the girl?
4. What evidence does the narrator give of his healthy sex life?
5. Describe how the narrator almost married once.
6. How would the narrator court his fiancé?
7. How has the narrator supplemented his income over the years?
8. What happens when the narrator goes to turn in his resignation at the newspaper?
9. What happens on the narrator's taxi ride to the brothel the first time he goes to see the girl?
10. What is the narrator's economic situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the difference between the flat and round characters in "Memories of My Melancholy Whores." What purpose did the girl serve in the narrative? What purpose did Rosa Cabarcas serve? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What qualities does the narrator embody both as a character and as a narrator of the story? What makes him a reliable or unreliable narrator?
Essay Topic 3
What is the nature of the narrator's relationship with Rosa Cabarcas? What does their relationship illustrate in the novel? Give textual support for your statements.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)