|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say caused him to lose all his lovers?
2. For how many years did the narrator's fiancé leave the country after he left her at the altar?
3. Where does the narrator think condemned souls go?
4. On occasion, the newspaper prints _______ as a favor to the narrator.
5. What is the name of the girl to whom the narrator was engaged?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the contrast between the narrator's sex life and his regular life?
2. What evidence does the narrator give of his healthy sex life?
3. What is the narrator's experience like when he goes to the animal shelter to pick up his cat?
4. How does the narrator describe the editor of the newspaper?
5. What request did the narrator's mother make on her deathbed?
6. What is the only long term relationship in the narrator's life?
7. How has the narrator supplemented his income over the years?
8. What happens when the narrator is the honored guest at a concert? What does he remember most from the evening?
9. How would the narrator court his fiancé?
10. How does Rosa treat the narrator when he comes to meet the girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What qualities does the narrator embody both as a character and as a narrator of the story? What makes him a reliable or unreliable narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of the girl and the paradox of her age and innocence. Support your discussion with references to the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss both the narrative tone and structure of "Memories of My Melancholy Whores" and their impact on the reader's experience. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)