|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the narrator when he started living in the house alone?
2. On occasion, the newspaper prints _______ as a favor to the narrator.
3. What does the narrator's mother hope he will name a daughter someday?
4. What does the narrator have a reputation for being?
5. What month is the narrator's birthday in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the narrator is the honored guest at a concert? What does he remember most from the evening?
2. What was the contrast between the narrator's sex life and his regular life?
3. How does the narrator describe the editor of the newspaper?
4. What is the narrator's relationship like with his housekeeper?
5. What do the narrator and Rosa Cabarcas discuss in phone calls the day following his first night with the girl?
6. How has the narrator supplemented his income over the years?
7. What is the only long term relationship in the narrator's life?
8. What happens when the narrator goes to turn in his resignation at the newspaper?
9. Why won't the editor let the narrator resign from writing his column?
10. What does the narrator decide to give himself for a birthday gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of sexual morality and how it resonates throughout the book. Define theme in your discussion and support your statements with examples and quotes.
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between the life in time and the life by value as embodied by the narrator in "Memories of My Melancholy Whores"? Give specific examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss both the narrative tone and structure of "Memories of My Melancholy Whores" and their impact on the reader's experience. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)