|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the girl work during the day?
2. What do the secretaries at the newspaper give to the narrator for his birthday?
3. What is the name of the girl to whom the narrator was engaged?
4. What is the topic of the narrator's birthday column?
5. Who gives the narrator the cat for his birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the narrator goes to turn in his resignation at the newspaper?
2. What kind of gifts does the narrator get from the newspaper staff for his birthday?
3. What request did the narrator's mother make on her deathbed?
4. What is the narrator's economic situation?
5. What is the only long term relationship in the narrator's life?
6. What was the contrast between the narrator's sex life and his regular life?
7. What is the narrator's first experience like with the girl?
8. What is the narrator's relationship like with his housekeeper?
9. Describe how the narrator almost married once.
10. How does Rosa treat the narrator when he comes to meet the girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the difference between the flat and round characters in "Memories of My Melancholy Whores." What purpose did the girl serve in the narrative? What purpose did Rosa Cabarcas serve? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What could the message scrawled in lipstick in the mirror mean and what is the larger purpose for this element of the plot? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of the girl and the paradox of her age and innocence. Support your discussion with references to the text.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)