|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the narrator when he went to the doctor about back pain?
2. Whose statue can the narrator see from his balcony?
3. How much does the narrator agree to pay Rosa Cabracas for his birthday night?
4. The narrator's sense of _________ has always been more developed than his fear of death.
5. Who carved the narrator's writing desk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator not consummate his first visit with the girl?
2. What is the narrator's experience like when he goes to the animal shelter to pick up his cat?
3. What does the narrator decide to give himself for a birthday gift?
4. What happens when the narrator goes to turn in his resignation at the newspaper?
5. What evidence does the narrator give of how he is aging?
6. How does Rosa treat the narrator when he comes to meet the girl?
7. What do the narrator and Rosa Cabarcas discuss in phone calls the day following his first night with the girl?
8. What is the narrator's economic situation?
9. How does the narrator describe the editor of the newspaper?
10. What was the contrast between the narrator's sex life and his regular life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of the shelter cat the narrator acquires. Define symbolism and support your statements with textual references.
Essay Topic 2
What is the meaning behind the title of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the nature of the narrator's relationship with Rosa Cabarcas? What does their relationship illustrate in the novel? Give textual support for your statements.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)