|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the first reports of the Parthian campaign come in, which of the following major cities has fallen to Rome?
2. While discussing his relationships with the women around him, Hadrian says that he'd like to see them after all BUT WHICH of the following events?
3. In "Tellus Stabilita, 95-122," readers learn that Servianus' wife, Hadrian's sister, is named what?
4. When Hadrian is transferred to Macedonica, under which of the following legions does he serve?
5. In "Tellus Stabilita, 95-122," Hadrian regrets that he must fire a friend. He says that he sometimes counts which individual among his human victims?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49," how does Hadrian recount the downfall of Domitian?
2. What type of courage would Hadrian like to possess, as discussed in "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 49-69"?
3. Describe Marullinus, Hadrian's grandfather, as discussed in "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49."
4. What is Trajan's opinion of Hadrian after the death of Domitian and during Hadrian's early military career?
5. As Hadrian begins to question Trajan's military policy, what reason does he give for Trajan's obsession with war?
6. Explain Hadrian's thoughts on building, as discussed in "Tellus Stabilita, 122-149."
7. As Hadrian speaks of his age and condition, why does he lament that he is losing sleep and refer to it as a joy?
8. Describe Hadrian's thoughts when he begins to feel himself divine in "Tellus Stabilita, 122-149."
9. Describe the way in which Hadrian becomes emperor after Trajan's death.
10. As "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 69-92" opens, what is Hadrian's view of Trajan's wars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a well-developed essay, discuss three ways in which Hadrian's thoughts about the nature of love affect his personality and ruling style. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Based on his actions and discussions with others, what sort of job expectations does Hadrian see for himself as emperor? Discuss three major aspects of Hadrian's ruling philosophy and how each impacts the Roman Empire. Include supporting information from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using the entire book as a reference, discuss how Hadrian feels about religion. Does he believe in a form of religion or not? What evidence from the text supports your conclusion?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)