|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Hadrian continues to discuss old age, sickness, and death, he comments that which of the following basic joys is deserting him?
2. In "Tellus Stabilita, 122-149," Hadrian mentions that construction and renovation of camps in what area occupies him for a full year?
3. When the Senate tries to confer upon Hadrian the title of "Father of the Country," he refuses, citing that which other emperor only accepted this title late in life?
4. According to "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49," how is Aelius Hadrianus Afer related to Hadrian?
5. For what action is Hadrian reproached shortly after his marriage has taken place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hadrian admit in "Tellus Stabilita, 122-149" about his feelings on belonging?
2. What do critics say when they find out that Trajan's will names Hadrian as his successor?
3. Describe the major political event in Rome that occurs toward the end of "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49."
4. As Hadrian discusses his medical condition, what attitude does he seem to have toward his mortality?
5. As "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 69-92" opens, what is Hadrian's view of Trajan's wars?
6. Describe Marullinus, Hadrian's grandfather, as discussed in "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49."
7. How does Hadrian react to his marriage insisted upon by Plotina, Trajan's wife?
8. What does Hadrian learn from the prophetess he meets in the British Isles?
9. When discussing his early education, how does Hadrian say he feels about Greek?
10. As Hadrian speaks of his age and condition, why does he lament that he is losing sleep and refer to it as a joy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Hadrian's views on life and death. What are his thoughts on each, and what evidence supports this? Be sure to include supporting information from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using the entire book as a reference, discuss how Hadrian feels about religion. Does he believe in a form of religion or not? What evidence from the text supports your conclusion?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss three of the enemies Hadrian faces in the contest to become Trajan's successor. Be sure to elaborate on the specific challenges he faces from each individual. Include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)