|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 69-92," what is the name of Trajan's niece, also Hadrian's mother-in-law?
2. When Hadrian talks about how much he misses hunting and riding, he mentions his horse of what name?
3. When Hadrian is sent to the first Sarmatian war with the title of governor of Pannonia, how long does the conflict last?
4. When the first reports of the Parthian campaign come in, which of the following major cities has fallen to Rome?
5. When discussing relations with the Parthians, Hadrian says that he expects Marcus to continue the peace that has lasted for how many years?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Hadrian begins to question Trajan's military policy, what reason does he give for Trajan's obsession with war?
2. After discussing Trajan's plans for the army, why does Hadrian say he likes dealing with the barbarians?
3. How does the first Sarmatian war change Hadrian?
4. What is done about Lucius Quietus' assassination attempt on Hadrian?
5. When discussing his early education, how does Hadrian say he feels about Greek?
6. Describe Marullinus, Hadrian's grandfather, as discussed in "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49."
7. As "Animula Vagula Blandula" closes, what proposal does Hadrian have for Marcus Aurelius?
8. What type of courage would Hadrian like to possess, as discussed in "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 49-69"?
9. What is Trajan's opinion of Hadrian after the death of Domitian and during Hadrian's early military career?
10. How is Trajan's body dealt with after his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Hadrian's ruling style with that of Trajan, Nerva, and Domitian. Include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Hadrian says that Rome is the embodiment of Greek ideals. Compare and contrast his view of Rome with that of Greece. Include all relevant supporting information from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Hadrian is dedicated to refurbishing Italy. Why is this so important to him? Discuss Hadrian's view of his legacy as it relates to this sort of action during his reign. Be sure to fully support your response.
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)