|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Hadrian discusses his life he says that all BUT WHICH of the following seem nebulous and fleeting as a phantom?
2. In his discussion of Marullinus, Hadrian notes that he bore senatorial rank. How many of Hadrian's lineage achieved this rank?
3. When Hadrian is sixteen and finishes a course of military training, his guardian is persuaded to send him where for further academic study?
4. In discussing his early challenges as emperor, Hadrian says that he is forced to take military action in Mauretania because a revolt is forming under which of the following individuals?
5. One of Hadrian's favorite women falls in love with a dancer; what is the dancer's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. As "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 69-92" opens, what is Hadrian's view of Trajan's wars?
2. As Hadrian begins to question Trajan's military policy, what reason does he give for Trajan's obsession with war?
3. What does Hadrian learn from the prophetess he meets in the British Isles?
4. As Hadrian discusses his medical condition, what attitude does he seem to have toward his mortality?
5. What is Trajan's opinion of Hadrian after the death of Domitian and during Hadrian's early military career?
6. In "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 49-69," what happens to Hadrian's young mistress who is in love with a dancer?
7. As Hadrian speaks of his age and condition, why does he lament that he is losing sleep and refer to it as a joy?
8. Why was Hermogenes so worried when he finished his examination of Hadrian?
9. Describe Hadrian's thoughts when he begins to feel himself divine in "Tellus Stabilita, 122-149."
10. According to "Animula Vagula Blandula," what kind of diet does Hadrian prefer, and how does that differ from the common Roman diet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss three reasons for Hadrian's philosophy and actions toward the Jews in Jerusalem. Be sure to fully support each of his reasons with information from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hadrian's views on life and death. What are his thoughts on each, and what evidence supports this? Be sure to include supporting information from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Hadrian's views on death before and after he contemplates suicide. What has he determined about the effect of his death? Be sure to include supporting information and quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)