|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 49-69" opens, which of the following individuals is in command of the troops in Lower Germany?
2. What animal is sacrificed as part of the ritual when Hadrian is initiated into the religious cult?
3. As "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49" opens, readers learn that which of Hadrian's relatives is a man named Marullinus?
4. In which area does Hadrian say he effected a number of civil reforms, as discussed in "Tellus Stabilita, 122-149"?
5. Hadrian mentions, in his discussion of how people relate to each other, that he has incurred some criticism because he likes to read what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When discussing his early education, how does Hadrian say he feels about Greek?
2. In "Tellus Stabilita, 95-122," how does Lucius Quietus attempt to assassinate Hadrian?
3. In "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 69-92," how does Hadrian say Trajan has changed during the Dacian war in comparison to how he was when he welcomed Hadrian in Cologne twenty years earlier?
4. What do critics say when they find out that Trajan's will names Hadrian as his successor?
5. What is Trajan's opinion of Hadrian after the death of Domitian and during Hadrian's early military career?
6. What reasons does Hadrian give when he abandons Trajan's conquest plans?
7. In "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 49-69," what happens to Hadrian's young mistress who is in love with a dancer?
8. While talking about his medical limitations, what two things does Hadrian indicate he misses most?
9. As Hadrian discusses his medical condition, what attitude does he seem to have toward his mortality?
10. Describe the major political event in Rome that occurs toward the end of "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the various stages in the relationship between Hadrian and Antinous. What is Antinous' purpose in Hadrian's life beyond that of a beautiful plaything? Be sure to include supporting information and quotes from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hadrian's education with that of other Roman citizens during this period in history. Be sure to include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
Essay Topic 3
Hadrian begins to feel himself divine. One of the results of his newly found divinity is that he begins to take Antinous for granted. Discuss three ways in which Hadrian's new attitude negatively impacts his relationship with Antinous. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)