|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following individuals comes to Hadrian's aid with Trajan in Antioch, when Hadrian fears he is losing his position as Trajan's heir?
2. When talking about his frustration with the movement of the equinoxes, Hadrian says that this precession was calculated long ago by which individual?
3. In "Tellus Stabilita, 122-149," Hadrian mentions that construction and renovation of camps in what area occupies him for a full year?
4. How old is Hadrian when Marullinus casts the horoscope that says Hadrian will one day rule the world?
5. As "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49" opens, readers learn that which of Hadrian's relatives is a man named Marullinus?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the first Sarmatian war change Hadrian?
2. While talking about his medical limitations, what two things does Hadrian indicate he misses most?
3. What is Trajan's opinion of Hadrian after the death of Domitian and during Hadrian's early military career?
4. What does Hadrian learn from the prophetess he meets in the British Isles?
5. What reasons does Hadrian give when he abandons Trajan's conquest plans?
6. When discussing his early education, how does Hadrian say he feels about Greek?
7. Describe the major political event in Rome that occurs toward the end of "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49."
8. According to "Animula Vagula Blandula," what kind of diet does Hadrian prefer, and how does that differ from the common Roman diet?
9. Describe Hadrian's thoughts when he begins to feel himself divine in "Tellus Stabilita, 122-149."
10. What do critics say when they find out that Trajan's will names Hadrian as his successor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a well-developed essay, discuss three ways in which Hadrian's thoughts about the nature of love affect his personality and ruling style. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Using the entire book as a reference, discuss how Hadrian feels about religion. Does he believe in a form of religion or not? What evidence from the text supports your conclusion?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Hadrian's views on death before and after he contemplates suicide. What has he determined about the effect of his death? Be sure to include supporting information and quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)