|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hadrian returns to Rome after he leaves Greece in "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233" and writes which document to codify the administration of Italy?
(a) Roma Perpetua.
(b) Eternal Declaration.
(c) Declaration of Administration.
(d) Perpetual Edict.
2. As "Saeculum Aureum, 171-189" opens, Hadrian reports that Antinous has become infatuated with passages by which famous writer and philosopher?
3. During the ceremony to inter Antinous' body, a sprig of what plant is placed upon his chest?
4. When Antinous joins the Mithraic cult after a merchant suggests that he do so, in which city does the initiation rite take place?
5. When Hadrian and Antinous make their way to Mantinea they find that the temple to which god has fallen into ruins?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Disciplina Augusta, 233-251," which of the following individuals is an informer and spy for Rome?
2. While discussing his options for a successor, Hadrian mentions all BUT WHICH of the following individuals?
3. Which of the following individuals dies shortly after Hadrian names Lucius his successor?
4. Hadrian finally decides to adopt Lucius, thus making him successor. Which of the following names does Lucius take after the adoption?
5. Upon returning to Alexandra after the visit to the magician in Canopus, Antinous convinces which individual to return to the magician with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Antinous refuse to have his palm read a few days after the sacrifice on Mount Cassius?
2. When rumors begin to fly about the influence Lucius and Antinous must have over Hadrian, what reasons does he give that indicate these accusations are ridiculous?
3. Why do the Jewish people consider the opening of schools where Greek literature is taught such a major problem?
4. What qualities strike Hadrian as special when he first meets Arrian of Nicomedia?
5. What incident in "Disciplina Augusta, 233-251" leads Hermogenes to diagnose the emperor with heart disease?
6. Why, when choosing a successor, does Hadrian settle on Lucius?
7. As "Saeculum Aureum, 189-211" opens, what peculiar habit does Hadrian mention of Lucius?
8. According to Hadrian, what must Antinous have thought after the lightning episode on Mount Cassius?
9. What observations does Hadrian make upon first meeting Antinous?
10. As Hadrian recounts the series of misunderstandings that lead to Jewish revolt in Jerusalem, what attitude does he take toward the Jews?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)