|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hadrian finally decides to adopt Lucius, thus making him successor. Which of the following names does Lucius take after the adoption?
2. Toward the end of "Saeculum Aureum, 153-171," Hadrian mentions that which of the following individuals has died?
3. Hadrian grows angry with a writer during his first discussions of his life at the villa and summons the writer to tell him that he is exiled. What is the writer's name?
4. As "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233" opens, to which of the following cities does Hadrian return?
5. Which of the following individuals does Hadrian order executed due to an assassination plot uncovered after Lucius' adoption?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Antinous joins the Mithraic cult after a merchant suggests that he do so, in which city does the initiation rite take place?
2. When Hadrian opens schools in Jerusalem that teach Greek literature, which of the following is a rabbi who orders his people only to study such things in the hour that is neither night nor day?
3. Which of the following individuals alerts Hadrian that Antinous has gone missing in "Saeculum Aureum, 189-211"?
4. When Hadrian presses Antinous to pick a tutor, the boy chooses which of the following individuals?
5. As "Disciplina Augusta, 233-251" opens, things are going badly with which religious group?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, when choosing a successor, does Hadrian settle on Lucius?
2. Why, according to "Saeculum Aureum, 153-171," does Hadrian not divorce Sabina and be done with her?
3. Why does Antinous refuse to have his palm read a few days after the sacrifice on Mount Cassius?
4. What happens to Hadrian's secretary in "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233"?
5. In "Disciplina Augusta, 233-251," what causes the initial problems between the Roman troops and the Jewish residents of Jerusalem?
6. Describe the three prospects Hadrian dismisses before finally settling on Lucius as his successor and why those three are dismissed.
7. According to Hadrian, what must Antinous have thought after the lightning episode on Mount Cassius?
8. According to "Saeculum Aureum, 189-211," why must it have been particularly difficult for Antinous to commit suicide in the manner he chose?
9. As Hadrian recounts the series of misunderstandings that lead to Jewish revolt in Jerusalem, what attitude does he take toward the Jews?
10. As "Saeculum Aureum, 189-211" opens, what peculiar habit does Hadrian mention of Lucius?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)