|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his villa is complete, Hadrian gives a series of banquets and discovers a love for women playing which of the following instruments?
(b) Wind harp.
2. Hadrian talks about his reproach of Trajan for waiting twenty years to name a successor. How many years has Hadrian evaded the same issue?
3. Upon returning to Alexandria after their hunting trip, which of the following poets arranges a special entertainment for Hadrian and Antinous?
4. While discussing his sadness at how things change despite his attempts to immortalize them, Hadrian says science has been at a standstill since which famous individual?
5. At the end of "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233," Hadrian grows angry with his bumbling secretary. Which part of the man's body does Hadrian seriously injure?
Short Answer Questions
1. During the visit to the magician in Canopus, the animal sacrifice is drowned. To which god is drowning intended to send the sacrificed animal in this ritual?
2. Hadrian discusses at length his favorite poets after Antinous' death. Which of the following wrote a long poem about Lydia, his deceased wife, and is one of Hadrian's favorites?
3. Hadrian finally decides to adopt Lucius, thus making him successor. Which of the following names does Lucius take after the adoption?
4. When discussing his relationship with his body in "Disciplina Augusta, 233-251," Hadrian says that he suddenly feels which of the following emotions?
5. Upon returning to Athens after Antinous' death, with which friend does Hadrian stay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hadrian respond to the Christian admonition which consists of "loving another as oneself" after he is approached by Quadratus to defend Christians?
2. What observations does Hadrian make upon first meeting Antinous?
3. Describe the three prospects Hadrian dismisses before finally settling on Lucius as his successor and why those three are dismissed.
4. Why, when Hadrian sets about finding a successor, does he say that the Roman tradition of adoption works best?
5. As Hadrian recounts the series of misunderstandings that lead to Jewish revolt in Jerusalem, what attitude does he take toward the Jews?
6. According to Hadrian, what must Antinous have thought after the lightning episode on Mount Cassius?
7. What is Sabina's final attitude toward Hadrian at the time of her death?
8. Why does Hadrian consider the time period after he first meets Antinous a Golden Age in his life?
9. When rumors begin to fly about the influence Lucius and Antinous must have over Hadrian, what reasons does he give that indicate these accusations are ridiculous?
10. What happens to Hadrian's secretary in "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233"?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)