|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After discussing the Jewish rebellion in Jerusalem, Hadrian takes a young tribune named _________ as his new aide?
2. While discussing his options for a successor, Hadrian mentions all BUT WHICH of the following individuals?
(a) Julius Severus.
(b) Marcus Aurelius.
(c) Marcius Turbo.
3. When Hadrian states that if the collapse of Rome happens it will concern his successors, he mentions that it is which year of the Roman era?
4. At the end of "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233," Hadrian grows angry with his bumbling secretary. Which part of the man's body does Hadrian seriously injure?
5. When Hadrian opens schools in Jerusalem that teach Greek literature, which of the following is a rabbi who orders his people only to study such things in the hour that is neither night nor day?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statues does Hadrian NOT purchase for his native city of Italica during his stay in Alexandria?
2. Hadrian discusses at length his favorite poets after Antinous' death. Which of the following wrote a long poem about Lydia, his deceased wife, and is one of Hadrian's favorites?
3. Hadrian returns to Rome after he leaves Greece in "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233" and writes which document to codify the administration of Italy?
4. When discussing his remaining family, Hadrian states that which jealous relative is still alive?
5. As "Saeculum Aureum, 189-211" opens, Hadrian reunites with his wife Sabina; he notes that she now surrounds herself with women of what profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Antinous refuse to have his palm read a few days after the sacrifice on Mount Cassius?
2. Why, in "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233," does Hadrian decide to commission a new history of Rome?
3. Why, when choosing a successor, does Hadrian settle on Lucius?
4. Explain the result of Hadrian's ritual sacrifice on Mount Cassius outside Antioch.
5. When rumors begin to fly about the influence Lucius and Antinous must have over Hadrian, what reasons does he give that indicate these accusations are ridiculous?
6. What is Sabina's final attitude toward Hadrian at the time of her death?
7. Why, when Hadrian sets about finding a successor, does he say that the Roman tradition of adoption works best?
8. According to Hadrian, what must Antinous have thought after the lightning episode on Mount Cassius?
9. In "Saeculum Aureum, 171-189," why does Hadrian begin to push Antinous away?
10. What qualities strike Hadrian as special when he first meets Arrian of Nicomedia?
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)