|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the sight-seeing trip with his wife which is meant to cheer him, Hadrian realizes that it would be Antinous' birthday; how old would he have been had he lived?
2. During the Jewish rebellion in "Disciplina Augusta, 233-251," how many years does it take to recapture Jerusalem?
3. During their stay in Alexandria, Hadrian, and Antinous embark on a hunting expedition for which of the following animals?
4. When discussing his early relationship with Antinous, Hadrian says that his new companion was born in which city?
5. After his villa is complete, Hadrian gives a series of banquets and discovers a love for women playing which of the following instruments?
(a) Wind harp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of "Saeculum Aureum, 153-171," Hadrian mentions that which of the following individuals has died?
2. Upon returning to Athens after Antinous' death, with which friend does Hadrian stay?
3. Hadrian discusses his travels after the installment of Antinous in his life. Outside which city do the local officials draw up enormous fires for Hadrian's troops?
4. When the Olympieion is dedicated in Greece, the country bestows all BUT WHICH of the following titles on Hadrian?
5. In "Saeculum Aureum, 153-171," Hadrian refers to which actor as his Greek partridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Hadrian, what must Antinous have thought after the lightning episode on Mount Cassius?
2. What qualities strike Hadrian as special when he first meets Arrian of Nicomedia?
3. What incident in "Disciplina Augusta, 233-251" leads Hermogenes to diagnose the emperor with heart disease?
4. What observations does Hadrian make upon first meeting Antinous?
5. What is Sabina's final attitude toward Hadrian at the time of her death?
6. After Antinous' death, what conclusions does Hadrian draw as to why the young man committed suicide?
7. Describe the three prospects Hadrian dismisses before finally settling on Lucius as his successor and why those three are dismissed.
8. In "Disciplina Augusta, 233-251," what causes the initial problems between the Roman troops and the Jewish residents of Jerusalem?
9. As Hadrian recounts the series of misunderstandings that lead to Jewish revolt in Jerusalem, what attitude does he take toward the Jews?
10. Why does Antinous refuse to have his palm read a few days after the sacrifice on Mount Cassius?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)