|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hadrian considers his life and decides that the life of which of the following is simple?
2. After taking command of his own legion and performing well, Hadrian receives what token from Trajan?
3. After discussing the murder of the leader in the Mauretanian revolt, Hadrian says that it reminds him of the proscriptions of which individual that stained the reputation of Augustus?
4. During his travels in Greece, Hadrian mentions seeing the spaces for statues in sanctuaries left empty by the theft of which emperor?
5. Readers learn in Hadrian's discussion of his self-observation that he is almost how old?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Trajan's will is finally written, and Hadrian learns that he will be Trajan's successor, which of the following individuals is the first to salute him as emperor?
2. As "Tellus Stabilita, 95-122" opens, Hadrian states that which of the following people are concerned only with reopening trade between Rome and India?
3. When the first reports of the Parthian campaign come in, which of the following major cities has fallen to Rome?
4. In "Tellus Stabilita, 122-149," Hadrian mentions that construction and renovation of camps in what area occupies him for a full year?
5. When Hadrian is attacked by a slave he sends the man to work in the mines; he says that which of the following cities would have survived had it shown some generosity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Hermogenes so worried when he finished his examination of Hadrian?
2. When discussing his early education, how does Hadrian say he feels about Greek?
3. As "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 69-92" opens, what is Hadrian's view of Trajan's wars?
4. Describe Marullinus, Hadrian's grandfather, as discussed in "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49."
5. What type of courage would Hadrian like to possess, as discussed in "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 49-69"?
6. In "Tellus Stabilita, 95-122," how does Lucius Quietus attempt to assassinate Hadrian?
7. What do critics say when they find out that Trajan's will names Hadrian as his successor?
8. Describe Hadrian's thoughts when he begins to feel himself divine in "Tellus Stabilita, 122-149."
9. In "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49," how does Hadrian recount the downfall of Domitian?
10. What does Hadrian learn from the prophetess he meets in the British Isles?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)