|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following individuals becomes Hadrian's most vehement critic shortly after his marriage?
2. As "Animula Vagula Blandula" opens, Hadrian has been to see his doctor. What is the doctor's name?
3. In the first few months of Hadrian's reign as emperor, he is forced to send which of the following individuals to Egypt to reestablish order?
(b) Lucius Quietus.
(c) Marcius Turbo.
4. According to "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49," which of the following individuals is Hadrian's cousin?
5. While discussing his doctor visit, Hadrian comments that a man does not practice medicine for 30 years without some ______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Hadrian's comments about Trajan's view of war, which of the following friends dies?
2. In which area does Hadrian say he effected a number of civil reforms, as discussed in "Tellus Stabilita, 122-149"?
3. In his discussion of life Hadrian comments that his nature seems to be made up of equal parts of instinct and _________.
4. In his discussion of Marullinus, Hadrian notes that he bore senatorial rank. How many of Hadrian's lineage achieved this rank?
5. As Hadrian discusses his life he says that all BUT WHICH of the following seem nebulous and fleeting as a phantom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Trajan's body dealt with after his death?
2. As Hadrian begins to question Trajan's military policy, what reason does he give for Trajan's obsession with war?
3. As Hadrian speaks of his age and condition, why does he lament that he is losing sleep and refer to it as a joy?
4. What logic does Hadrian use in his attempt to engender peace between the Greeks and the Jews?
5. After discussing Trajan's plans for the army, why does Hadrian say he likes dealing with the barbarians?
6. What do critics say when they find out that Trajan's will names Hadrian as his successor?
7. As "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 69-92" opens, what is Hadrian's view of Trajan's wars?
8. Describe Marullinus, Hadrian's grandfather, as discussed in "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49."
9. While talking about his medical limitations, what two things does Hadrian indicate he misses most?
10. What reasons does Hadrian give when he abandons Trajan's conquest plans?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)