|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While discussing his doctor visit, Hadrian comments that a man does not practice medicine for 30 years without some ______________.
2. While discussing his military service, Hadrian mentions that he rose to the rank of tribune in which of the following legions?
3. What is the name of Trajan's grandniece, to whom Hadrian is married at twenty-eight?
4. In his reminiscence of education, Hadrian says that he will always be grateful to which of the following individuals for making him study Greek?
5. As he writes about his death, Hadrian says that he may die in all BUT WHICH of the following places?
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of "Animula Vagula Blandula," Hadrian states that there are people he's seen often that he won't recognize where?
2. While talking about books, Hadrian accuses which author of making life lighter than it is?
3. As "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49" opens, readers learn that which of Hadrian's relatives is a man named Marullinus?
4. After discussing the murder of the leader in the Mauretanian revolt, Hadrian says that it reminds him of the proscriptions of which individual that stained the reputation of Augustus?
5. Which of the following individuals becomes the new emperor in "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49"?
Short Essay Questions
1. While talking about his medical limitations, what two things does Hadrian indicate he misses most?
2. In "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 49-69," what happens to Hadrian's young mistress who is in love with a dancer?
3. How does the first Sarmatian war change Hadrian?
4. In "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 69-92," how does Hadrian say Trajan has changed during the Dacian war in comparison to how he was when he welcomed Hadrian in Cologne twenty years earlier?
5. When discussing his early education, how does Hadrian say he feels about Greek?
6. What reasons does Hadrian give when he abandons Trajan's conquest plans?
7. What does Hadrian admit in "Tellus Stabilita, 122-149" about his feelings on belonging?
8. How does Hadrian react to his marriage insisted upon by Plotina, Trajan's wife?
9. In "Tellus Stabilita, 95-122," how does Lucius Quietus attempt to assassinate Hadrian?
10. As Hadrian speaks of his age and condition, why does he lament that he is losing sleep and refer to it as a joy?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)