|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While discussing Roman commerce during his time in Antioch, Hadrian mentions that which religious group is a constant problem for Rome in Alexandria?
2. As "Animula Vagula Blandula" opens, Hadrian has been to see his doctor. What is the doctor's name?
3. In "Tellus Stabilita, 122-149," Hadrian mentions that construction and renovation of camps in what area occupies him for a full year?
4. When Hadrian goes to Pelusium to mediate the disagreements between the Greeks and Jews, he is forced to spend how many days in a courtroom over the matter?
5. When talking about his frustration with the movement of the equinoxes, Hadrian says that this precession was calculated long ago by which individual?
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of "Tellus Stabilita, 95-122," Hadrian states that in twenty years of his rule he has passed how many without a fixed living location?
2. While discussing his doctor visit, Hadrian comments that a man does not practice medicine for 30 years without some ______________.
3. When discussing his method of alternation, Hadrian says that all BUT WHICH of the following are subject to interruption at any moment?
4. In "Tellus Stabilita, 95-122," readers learn that Servianus' wife, Hadrian's sister, is named what?
5. After discussing his political enemies, Hadrian says that which of the following individuals organizes life with a view of serving him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Hadrian give when he abandons Trajan's conquest plans?
2. Why was Hermogenes so worried when he finished his examination of Hadrian?
3. According to "Animula Vagula Blandula," what kind of diet does Hadrian prefer, and how does that differ from the common Roman diet?
4. As Hadrian discusses his medical condition, what attitude does he seem to have toward his mortality?
5. Why is Hadrian laughed at when he makes his first speech to the tribunal?
6. In "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49," how does Hadrian recount the downfall of Domitian?
7. How does Hadrian react to his marriage insisted upon by Plotina, Trajan's wife?
8. While talking about his medical limitations, what two things does Hadrian indicate he misses most?
9. What logic does Hadrian use in his attempt to engender peace between the Greeks and the Jews?
10. Describe the major political event in Rome that occurs toward the end of "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49."
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)