|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the uncovered assassination plot, which of the following individuals increases the security around Hadrian in fear of a new revenge plot?
(d) Marcius Turbo.
2. In "Disciplina Augusta, 233-251," which of the following individuals is an informer and spy for Rome?
(a) Elias Ben-Abayad.
(d) Joshua Ben-Kisma.
3. While in Alexandria Hadrian is visited by a Jew named Akiba from Jerusalem. For how many days do the two argue about renovations in Jerusalem?
4. After their trip to make sacrifices on Mount Casius in Antioch, Hadrian and his troops continue to Jerusalem. Hadrian intends to rebuild the city nearly destroyed by which emperor?
5. After Antinous' death, which of the following individuals is a member of an Orphic cult that declares suicide a crime and, thus, tends to focus on the sacrificial aspect of the death?
6. After Antinous decides on a tutor, Hadrian says that which of the following individuals, a Stoic philosopher, asks his permission to retire from service by suicide?
7. Which of the following individuals dies shortly after Hadrian names Lucius his successor?
8. Hadrian discusses at length his favorite poets after Antinous' death. Which of the following wrote a long poem about Lydia, his deceased wife, and is one of Hadrian's favorites?
9. At which city does Hadrian meet with a nameless priestess when he begins plans to establish the cult of Antinous?
10. To which of the following famous sites does Hadrian travel with his wife soon after the death of Antinous?
(c) Cleopatra's tomb.
(d) Alexander's tomb.
11. In "Disciplina Augusta, 233-251," Hadrian states that Quietus attacked all BUT WHICH of the following cities?
12. Which of the following statues does Hadrian NOT purchase for his native city of Italica during his stay in Alexandria?
13. Upon returning to Alexandria after their hunting trip, which of the following poets arranges a special entertainment for Hadrian and Antinous?
14. At the end of "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233," Hadrian grows angry with his bumbling secretary. Which part of the man's body does Hadrian seriously injure?
15. During their stay in Antioch, which of the following individuals tells Antinous and Hadrian the story of "The Bride of Corinth"?
Short Answer Questions
1. As "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233" opens, to which of the following cities does Hadrian return?
2. When Hadrian opens schools in Jerusalem that teach Greek literature, which of the following is a rabbi who orders his people only to study such things in the hour that is neither night nor day?
3. When discussing his remaining family, Hadrian states that which jealous relative is still alive?
4. Hadrian returns to Rome after he leaves Greece in "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233" and writes which document to codify the administration of Italy?
5. While discussing his sadness at how things change despite his attempts to immortalize them, Hadrian says science has been at a standstill since which famous individual?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)