|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leser met Gluckel on her way to Metz with a letter and a what?
2. How much money was Elias Cleve worth?
3. Who wrote to tell Gluckel that Hirz Levy was widowed?
4. Who brought Moses to meet with Gluckel, Esther, and Nathan in Book V?
5. Who moved to Hamburg, where he lost all his money, before moving to Altona to be a money-changer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Gluckel's son Joseph want to study? What happened?
2. What arrangements were made for Zipporah's wedding? Where was the wedding?
3. What did Rabbi Samuel Levy do against his father's wishes in Book VII?
4. When did Gluckel officially become betrothed to her second husband? When and where was she married?
5. What did the King of France warn the Jews in Lorraine in Book VII? What did the Jews do?
6. What is the moral of the parable that begins Book IV?
7. How did Gluckel hear of Levy's availability? Whom did she consult?
8. What did Gluckel discover about Loeb's business and finances in Book V?
9. Who was Reb Moses? What interaction did he have with the family in Book IV?
10. Where did Gluckel stop on the way to her second wedding? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did The Memoirs of Gluckel of Hameln come into publication? What previous editions were released and in what languages?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Gluckel's early life (through the age of ten). Where did she receive secular and religious education? Where did she live?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dangers of travel and trade that Chayim and his family faced in the 17th Century. What different incidents are referred to in the book where Chayim or others faced danger while conducting business?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)