|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Elias' mother?
2. Who was a Talmudic scholar who was helped financially by his father and father-in-law, Abraham Krumbach, in Book VII?
3. Where did Gluckel take Esther and Nathan to resolve their betrothal in Book V?
4. What was the dowry agreed upon for Zipporah?
5. When did Gluckel's son Moses marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the King of France warn the Jews in Lorraine in Book VII? What did the Jews do?
2. What financial arrangements were made before the marriage of Gluckel to Levy? What was Gluckel's impression of Levy?
3. Who are the people in the parable that begins Book IV?
4. What did Rabbi Samuel Levy do against his father's wishes in Book VII?
5. What led up to Levy's holding an auction in Book VII? How did Gluckel deal with the situation?
6. How did Gluckel resolve the issues with Esther's betrothal?
7. Where did Chayim and a group of people contract illness in Book IV? Who was with him?
8. Where did Gluckel's family go for New Year's in Book IV? What did they discover about security there?
9. When was Chayim buried? What state of mind was Gluckel in following his death?
10. Who died following Gluckel's wedding in Book VII? Who was his widow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where did Gluckel's wedding take place? Who attended? Describe the location, people, and events.
Essay Topic 2
Who was Sabbatai Zevi? What impact did he have on Gluckel's family and on the Jewish community?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the story that Gluckel tells of Mordecai. How was he related to the family? How did he die?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)