|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped Levy after the crash and then became one of the richest men in the community in Book VII?
2. How long did it take for Gluckel to pay off her debts following Chayim's death?
3. Where did Rabbi Samuel Levy have a shop?
4. Who brought Moses to meet with Gluckel, Esther, and Nathan in Book V?
5. Who died while Gluckel was in Metz in Book VII?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the King of France warn the Jews in Lorraine in Book VII? What did the Jews do?
2. What arrangements were made for Zipporah's wedding? Where was the wedding?
3. What money did Gluckel receive after Levy's death? How were her finances in her final years?
4. What medical treatment was sought for Chayim in Book V? Was it helpful?
5. Who died following Gluckel's wedding in Book VII? Who was his widow?
6. When was Chayim buried? What state of mind was Gluckel in following his death?
7. Who was Reb Moses? What interaction did he have with the family in Book IV?
8. To whom was Zipporah betrothed and when?
9. Why were Levy's children unable to help him during the crash?
10. When did Gluckel officially become betrothed to her second husband? When and where was she married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Gluckel's early life (through the age of ten). Where did she receive secular and religious education? Where did she live?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the discrimination Jews faced in 17th Century Europe. What was the "Jewish Emancipation" and when did it come?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dangers of travel and trade that Chayim and his family faced in the 17th Century. What different incidents are referred to in the book where Chayim or others faced danger while conducting business?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)