|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the burgher have hidden in his ship in Gluckel's story in Book IV?
2. How much money did Gluckel discover she owed after Chayim's death?
3. What was the chest full of that Gluckel's second husband showed her after their marriage?
4. Gluckel wrote in Book IV: "Love thy God with all thy ____."
5. Of whom did Gluckel write in order to explain that a man can mean well but end in folly, as a parable of her marriage to Levy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the King of France warn the Jews in Lorraine in Book VII? What did the Jews do?
2. How did Gluckel work through her debts following Chayim's death? Whom did she ask for help?
3. How did Gluckel hear of Levy's availability? Whom did she consult?
4. Who was Reb Moses? What interaction did he have with the family in Book IV?
5. What are some of the reasons Gluckel considers remarriage in Book VI?
6. Where did Gluckel's son Joseph want to study? What happened?
7. How did Chayim injure himself in Book V? When and what happened?
8. Where did Gluckel's family go for New Year's in Book IV? What did they discover about security there?
9. What financial arrangements were made before the marriage of Gluckel to Levy? What was Gluckel's impression of Levy?
10. Why were Levy's children unable to help him during the crash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Gluckel's use of parable in her memoirs. What is a parable and what examples are there in the text? What is the moral of each?
Essay Topic 2
To whom was Gluckel betrothed as a child? How old was she when the betrothal took place? How old was she when she married?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the voice and tense of the narrative. What are difference instances where Gluckel changed tense or voice and why? Define the terms in your answer.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)