|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was expelled from Helmstadt for being a Jew in Book IV?
2. How long after he married Gluckel did Hirz Levi's business crash?
3. Who helped Levy after the crash and then became one of the richest men in the community in Book VII?
4. Where did Gluckel and Chayim go to see his parents in Book IV?
5. What son was Gluckel nursing when she and Chayim visited his parents in Book IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was Chayim buried? What state of mind was Gluckel in following his death?
2. How did Gluckel resolve the issues with Esther's betrothal?
3. How did Chayim injure himself in Book V? When and what happened?
4. What are some of the reasons Gluckel considers remarriage in Book VI?
5. What financial arrangements were made before the marriage of Gluckel to Levy? What was Gluckel's impression of Levy?
6. When did Gluckel officially become betrothed to her second husband? When and where was she married?
7. Where did Gluckel's family go to visit Chayim's parents in Book IV? What were they like?
8. How did Gluckel work through her debts following Chayim's death? Whom did she ask for help?
9. What did Rabbi Samuel Levy do against his father's wishes in Book VII?
10. Where did Gluckel stop on the way to her second wedding? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Lob Pinkerle with Joseph Hameln. How did these two men compare financially? What businesses were they in? What were their characteristics?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of grief and death in The Memoirs of Gluckel of Hameln. What symbolism and imagery does the author use to support these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Where did Gluckel's wedding take place? Who attended? Describe the location, people, and events.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)