|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the richest Altona Jew?
2. Who turned out to be a Messianic pretender?
3. How old was Mata when she died?
4. What did Gluckel find to be a "dull, shabby hole" in Book II?
5. Where did Joseph Hameln move to await word to return to the Promised Land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gluckel write by way of introduction to the memoirs in Book I? Whom did she address?
2. Where did Gluckel stay after her wedding in Book II?
3. What different publications of the narrative are discussed in the Introduction?
4. Who was Mordecai? What happened to him?
5. Who were the youngest of Joseph Hameln's children?
6. What dangerous situation did Chayim encounter while in business in Book III? How did this lead to business with Judah?
7. Where did Gluckel's early years take place, according to the Introduction?
8. To whom was Gluckel's sister betrothed? What was her father's position on the dowry?
9. What happened after Gluckel's wedding in Book II? What was Gluckel's impression of Hameln?
10. What arrived in Hanover to transport the wedding party in Book II? How did Chayim's father handle the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the siblings of Chayim's family. How many siblings did he have? What did each do?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the process of betrothal and marriage in 17th Century Jewish society. What legalities were involved?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the value of money within 17th Century Jewish society. What is Gluckel's preoccupation with money driven by?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)