|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Gluckel's maternal grandfather die?
2. How many children did Gluckel bear?
3. Where was Gluckel's maternal grandfather from?
4. Who was the richest Altona Jew?
5. How many children did Gluckel and her first husband have?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom was Gluckel's sister betrothed? What was her father's position on the dowry?
2. When was the plague rumored to be spreading? What did Gluckel's family do?
3. Who were the youngest of Joseph Hameln's children?
4. What value did jewels hold in the 17th Century? How did this affect Chayim's business?
5. What happened after Gluckel's wedding in Book II? What was Gluckel's impression of Hameln?
6. What reasons does the Introduction give for Gluckel writing the memoirs?
7. What did Gluckel write of "preaching" in Book I? Did she?
8. What arrived in Hanover to transport the wedding party in Book II? How did Chayim's father handle the situation?
9. What different publications of the narrative are discussed in the Introduction?
10. What dangerous situation did Chayim encounter while in business in Book III? How did this lead to business with Judah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the story that Gluckel tells of Mordecai. How was he related to the family? How did he die?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the process of betrothal and marriage in 17th Century Jewish society. What legalities were involved?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dangers of travel and trade that Chayim and his family faced in the 17th Century. What different incidents are referred to in the book where Chayim or others faced danger while conducting business?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)