|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Gluckel bear?
2. How did Gluckel's maternal grandfather die?
3. How many Reichsthalers did the richest Jew in Altona own?
4. In her introduction to her memoirs, Gluckel wrote that it was what year?
5. How many of Gluckel's children were still living at home when her first husband died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gluckel write by way of introduction to the memoirs in Book I? Whom did she address?
2. When was the plague rumored to be spreading? What did Gluckel's family do?
3. What happened after Gluckel's wedding in Book II? What was Gluckel's impression of Hameln?
4. Where did Jacob stop along the route in Book III?
5. Who was Mordecai? What happened to him?
6. What value did jewels hold in the 17th Century? How did this affect Chayim's business?
7. Whom did Chayim send an escort for Gluckel in Book III?
8. What reasons does the Introduction give for Gluckel writing the memoirs?
9. What does the Introduction say about Gluckel's achievements as a woman?
10. What did Gluckel write of "preaching" in Book I? Did she?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the process of betrothal and marriage in 17th Century Jewish society. What legalities were involved?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the discrimination Jews faced in 17th Century Europe. What was the "Jewish Emancipation" and when did it come?
Essay Topic 3
Where did Gluckel's wedding take place? Who attended? Describe the location, people, and events.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)