|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the fifth of Joseph Hameln's children?
2. Where did Gluckel's family decide to go after the plague was rumored in Hamburg?
3. Who fell upon hard times in Poland who was helped by Joseph until being enticed by unfulfilled promises in Hameln?
4. In her introduction to her memoirs, Gluckel recommended to her children that they be honest with both Jews and Gentiles in what?
5. How many wedding guests traveled to Gluckel's wedding in addition to Gluckel's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Gluckel's early years take place, according to the Introduction?
2. What did Gluckel write by way of introduction to the memoirs in Book I? Whom did she address?
3. Who was Judah Berlin? How is he introduced in Book III?
4. What were the living conditions like when Gluckel's family returned to Hamburg?
5. Who was Lob Pinkerle? Describe this individual.
6. What plague scare happened in Gluckel's family?
7. Where did Jacob stop along the route in Book III?
8. What is revealed of Gluckel's later life in the Introduction?
9. Where did Gluckel travel and why, according to the Introduction?
10. When was the plague rumored to be spreading? What did Gluckel's family do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the voice and tense of the narrative. What are difference instances where Gluckel changed tense or voice and why? Define the terms in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the Jewish faith played a role in Gluckel's life. What customs and rituals would have affected Gluckel's everyday existence?
Essay Topic 3
How did The Memoirs of Gluckel of Hameln come into publication? What previous editions were released and in what languages?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)