|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Gluckel ask to check her figures for auction so her values were not set too low or too high in Book V?
2. Where did Gluckel's son Joseph want to study the Talmud?
3. Where did Gluckel and Chayim go to see his parents in Book IV?
4. In whose service did Rabbi Samuel Levy work?
(a) Duke of Bamburg.
(b) Duke of Hanover.
(c) Duke of Lorraine.
(d) Duke of Berlin.
5. From whom did Chayim secure a passport and bodyguard in Book IV?
(a) General Buditz.
(b) General Stein.
(c) General Stadthagen.
(d) General Meitz.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Gluckel praying with when Chayim died?
2. What son was Gluckel nursing when she and Chayim visited his parents in Book IV?
3. How old was Miriam when Gluckel remarried?
4. Who moved to Hamburg, where he lost all his money, before moving to Altona to be a money-changer?
5. What did the burgher have hidden in his ship in Gluckel's story in Book IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the reasons Gluckel considers remarriage in Book VI?
2. What did Rabbi Samuel Levy do against his father's wishes in Book VII?
3. How did Gluckel work through her debts following Chayim's death? Whom did she ask for help?
4. Where did Gluckel's family go for New Year's in Book IV? What did they discover about security there?
5. When did Gluckel officially become betrothed to her second husband? When and where was she married?
6. What is the moral of the parable that begins Book IV?
7. Where did Gluckel's son Joseph want to study? What happened?
8. What did the King of France warn the Jews in Lorraine in Book VII? What did the Jews do?
9. What financial arrangements were made before the marriage of Gluckel to Levy? What was Gluckel's impression of Levy?
10. What story does Gluckel tell of Abraham Metz?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)