|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the fifth of Joseph Hameln's children?
(a) Reb Isaac.
(b) Reb Samuel.
2. How did Gluckel's maternal grandfather die?
3. Who nursed Chayim Hameln back to health when he was ill at the fair?
(a) Moshe Berlin.
(b) Gluckel Hameln.
(c) Judah Berlin.
(d) Joseph Hameln.
4. Who was the ninth of Joseph Hameln's children?
5. To whom was Yenta Hameln betrothed?
(a) Abraham Letz.
(b) Hirz Letz.
(c) Samuel Cleves.
(d) Solomon Gans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gluckel wrote in Book III that Judah brought them nothing, but now has how many Reichsthalers?
2. Where were seed pearls used for jewelry plentiful for trade?
3. Whose fortune vanishes from lack of supervision in Book II?
4. What did the father bird do to the first bird he was taking across the stream in Gluckel's introduction to her memoirs?
5. Which of Joseph Hameln's children died at the age of fifty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after Gluckel's wedding in Book II? What was Gluckel's impression of Hameln?
2. When was the plague rumored to be spreading? What did Gluckel's family do?
3. What different publications of the narrative are discussed in the Introduction?
4. What arrived in Hanover to transport the wedding party in Book II? How did Chayim's father handle the situation?
5. Whom did Chayim send an escort for Gluckel in Book III?
6. Where did Gluckel stay after her wedding in Book II?
7. Who attended Gluckel's wedding? How were they transported?
8. What did Gluckel write of "preaching" in Book I? Did she?
9. What examples did Gluckel give of her father taking in others into his home?
10. To whom was Gluckel's sister betrothed? What was her father's position on the dowry?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)