|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After which holiday does Gluckel's family decide to leave Hamburg in Book III?
(a) New Year's.
(b) Yom Kippur.
2. Under whose arm did Gluckel find a sore that was thought to be the plague?
3. Who was the seventh of Joseph Hameln's children?
(a) Reb Isaac.
(b) Loeb Bonn.
(d) Reb Samuel.
4. In what language were the diaries originally written?
5. Memoirs of Gluckel of Hameln takes place beginning in what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom did Gluckel receive secular education?
2. What did Gluckel's father trade?
3. Who killed Mordecai?
4. In her introduction to her memoirs, what kind of book did Gluckel write that she had no intention of writing because there were already many of them?
5. Where was Gluckel's sister's fiance from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plague scare happened in Gluckel's family?
2. What did Gluckel write by way of introduction to the memoirs in Book I? Whom did she address?
3. What does the Introduction say about the value of The Memoirs of Gluckel of Hameln as a historical artifact?
4. What is revealed of Gluckel's later life in the Introduction?
5. What happened after Gluckel's wedding in Book II? What was Gluckel's impression of Hameln?
6. Where did Jacob stop along the route in Book III?
7. Who was Yenta and to whom was she betrothed?
8. What did Gluckel write of "preaching" in Book I? Did she?
9. Who was Mordecai? What happened to him?
10. Who was Lob Pinkerle? Describe this individual.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)