|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Gluckel's mother?
2. Under whose arm did Gluckel find a sore that was thought to be the plague?
3. Who was the sixth of Joseph Hameln's children?
4. Who did Gluckel's family stop to visit in Hanover in Book III?
(a) Abraham Hameln.
(b) Moshe Hameln.
(c) Joseph Hameln.
(d) Joshua Hameln.
5. Who turned out to be a Messianic pretender?
(a) Sabbatai Zepho.
(b) Sabbatai Zevi.
(c) Sabbatai Levi.
(d) Sabbatai Mata.
6. Who did Yenta marry after the death of her husband?
7. What was the name of Judah Berlin's uncle?
8. How old was Gluckel when the German Jews were forced to leave Hamburg?
9. Who does Gluckel write lived in Amsterdam with 20,000 Reichsthalers in Book III?
(a) Mordecai Cohen.
(b) Chayim Hameln.
(c) Elias Ries.
(d) Abraham Lietz.
10. Who fell upon hard times in Poland who was helped by Joseph until being enticed by unfulfilled promises in Hameln?
(a) Samuel Cleves.
(b) Solomon Gans.
(c) Abraham Hameln.
(d) Hirz Letz.
11. Who killed Mordecai?
(a) His bride.
(b) His brother.
(c) A poacher.
(d) A farmer.
12. Where did Gluckel's parents stop on their way to Hameln at Gluckel's wedding?
13. How many wedding guests traveled to Gluckel's wedding in addition to Gluckel's parents?
14. Who wrote the introduction to the book?
(a) Andrew Rosen.
(b) Robert S. Rosen.
(c) Chaim Rosenwald.
(d) Stephen Schultz.
15. In what language were the diaries originally written?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who nursed Chayim Hameln back to health when he was ill at the fair?
2. Who was the fourth eldest of Joseph Hameln's siblings?
3. In her introduction to her memoirs, what kind of book did Gluckel write that she had no intention of writing because there were already many of them?
4. Where did a rule exist that caused Jews who died there to forfeit all their possessions?
5. Where was Gluckel born?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)