|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much was the dowry of Gluckel's sister?
(a) 1200 Reichsthalers.
(b) 1800 Reichsthalers.
(c) 2000 Reichsthalers.
(d) 1500 Reichsthalers.
2. Who was the richest Altona Jew?
(a) Chayim Hameln.
(b) Alexander Hurst.
(c) Joseph Hameln.
(d) Chayim Furst.
3. How long after Mata's birth was the plague rumored in Hamburg?
(a) A year.
(b) A week.
(c) A month.
(d) Two weeks.
4. What was the name of Chayim Hameln's father?
(a) Samuel Hameln.
(b) Michael Hameln.
(c) Joseph Hameln.
(d) Abraham Hameln.
5. What did Gluckel's father trade?
(b) Tea and spices.
(c) Precious stones.
6. How many children did Gluckel bear?
7. In what year did Gluckel complete her diaries?
8. Who was Gluckel's maternal grandfather?
(a) Levi Stein.
(b) Reb Gumpel.
(c) Nathan Melrich.
(d) Joseph Hameln.
9. In what year did Gluckel's first husband die?
10. Who does Gluckel write lived in Amsterdam with 20,000 Reichsthalers in Book III?
(a) Abraham Lietz.
(b) Elias Ries.
(c) Mordecai Cohen.
(d) Chayim Hameln.
11. Where did a rule exist that caused Jews who died there to forfeit all their possessions?
(c) Zieg Fair.
(d) Leipzig Fair.
12. How old was Gluckel when she was married?
13. Who was the third eldest of Joseph Hameln's siblings?
14. What was the name of Gluckel's father?
(a) Lob Pinkerle.
(b) Joseph Hameln.
(c) Chayim Hameln.
(d) Joseph Pinkerle.
15. How many of Gluckel's children were still living at home when her first husband died?
Short Answer Questions
1. In her introduction to her memoirs, what kind of book did Gluckel write that she had no intention of writing because there were already many of them?
2. Who was the ninth of Joseph Hameln's children?
3. Who turned out to be a Messianic pretender?
4. After which holiday does Gluckel's family decide to leave Hamburg in Book III?
5. Who was recommended to Chayim as a Talmud scholar to arbitrate for him in Hildesheim?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)