|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the fifth of Joseph Hameln's children?
(a) Reb Isaac.
(c) Reb Samuel.
2. Who did the widow of Sussmann Gans marry?
3. After which holiday does Gluckel's family decide to leave Hamburg in Book III?
(c) Yom Kippur.
(d) New Year's.
4. What was the vocation of Gluckel's second husband?
5. When did the Swedes take over Altona?
6. Who was the third eldest of Joseph Hameln's siblings?
7. What was the name of Gluckel's father?
(a) Chayim Hameln.
(b) Lob Pinkerle.
(c) Joseph Hameln.
(d) Joseph Pinkerle.
8. Who was the second richest Altona Jew?
(a) Lob Pinkerle.
(b) Alexander Hurst.
(c) Chayim Hameln.
(d) Chayim Furst.
9. What was the name of Gluckel's mother?
10. Who did Yenta marry after the death of her husband?
11. Who turned out to be a Messianic pretender?
(a) Sabbatai Mata.
(b) Sabbatai Levi.
(c) Sabbatai Zevi.
(d) Sabbatai Zepho.
12. In what year did Gluckel complete her diaries?
13. What was the name of Judah Berlin's uncle?
14. Who fell upon hard times in Poland who was helped by Joseph until being enticed by unfulfilled promises in Hameln?
(a) Samuel Cleves.
(b) Hirz Letz.
(c) Solomon Gans.
(d) Abraham Hameln.
15. How many of Gluckel's children were still living at home when her first husband died?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Gluckel's maternal grandfather from?
2. What did Gluckel find to be a "dull, shabby hole" in Book II?
3. What did Gluckel's father trade?
4. When was Memoirs of Gluckel of Hameln published in its current edition?
5. Who does Gluckel write lived in Amsterdam with 20,000 Reichsthalers in Book III?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)