|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what does the Admiral say he seeks to defeat in chapter 27?
2. What does Sayuri learn from Yasuda Akira?
3. Why won't the Baron help Mameha?
4. What topic of conversation does Sayuri use at the beginning of chapter 25 to make an example of various geisha's talent for making conversation?
5. What does Dr. Crab leave for Sayuri as a gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Sayuri finds herself in a difficult situation when Mameha comes to the okiya to collect on her bet with Mother.
2. Why does Nobu say he's angry with Sayuri at the end of chapter 26?
3. How does Sayuri experience her mizuage?
4. Describe how Sayuri feels about the act of seducing the Minister.
5. What do Sayuri and Nobu discuss when they see each other again after so many years in chapter 28?
6. What does Sayuri spend her time doing during her first week back in Gion after her years with the Arashinos?
7. Describe Sayuri's encounter with Yasuda Akira and what she learns from it.
8. What does Sayuri think about on her way to Hakone?
9. What stories does Sayuri tell when it's her turn to play "Big Liar"?
10. What does Sayuri realize she can do to keep Nobu out of her life forever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the Baron's forceful undressing of her as an example, describe Sayuri's inability to defend herself and explain how this inability relates to Nobu and what angers him throughout his friendship with Sayuri.
Essay Topic 2
In chapters 1-8, Chiyo frequently thinks about escaping. Describe the things she wants to escape from, as well as how her desires to escape evolve to become more and more concrete as the story develops.
Essay Topic 3
Sayuri experiences several ceremonies throughout her time as a geisha. Describe these ceremonies and their purpose, and explain how Sayuri feels about each of them.
This section contains 1,513 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)