|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many geisha were invited to the Iwamura Electric party Sayuri had been disinvited to at the end of chapter 24?
2. What does Pumpkin say the Minister looks like?
3. What does the Chairman present to the Baron as a gift?
4. How long has it been since Sayuri saw Nobu when the geisha districts are about to be closed down?
5. What does Mameha do during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the disagreement Hatsumomo and Sayuri have about the brooch in chapter 27.
2. What happens when Sayuri watches Mameha dance at the performance of "Dances of the Old Capital"?
3. Why doesn't Nobu like the Baron?
4. What does the Minister do that so angers Nobu at the end of chapter 32?
5. What does Sayuri think about on her way to Hakone?
6. How does Sayuri experience her mizuage?
7. What does Sayuri spend her time doing during her first week back in Gion after her years with the Arashinos?
8. What does Sayuri realize regarding Nobu and the Chairman at the end of chapter 24, and how does she find out?
9. What reason does Pumpkin give for having betrayed Sayuri?
10. Why doesn't Sayuri stop the Baron from undressing her at the end of chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the Baron's forceful undressing of her as an example, describe Sayuri's inability to defend herself and explain how this inability relates to Nobu and what angers him throughout his friendship with Sayuri.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Nobu's character is used as a symbol of both ugliness and beauty throughout the novel using specific information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Define what it means to "grow up", and, using the rites of passage found in the book, explain the events that happen that lead to Sayuri "growing up".
This section contains 1,386 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)