|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nobu say are the three most important things in life?
2. How does Mameha tell Sayuri to act when she meets the Doctor?
3. Why does Hatsumomo say Mameha is trying to drive her out of Gion?
4. What does Chiyo think she's seen in the maids' room when she returns to the okiya in chapter 7?
5. What does Chiyo first notice about Hatsumomo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pumpkin reveal that Hatsumomo has said to Dr. Crab to ruin Sayuri's chances with him?
2. What does Mameha tell Dr. Crab to make him doubt what Hatsumomo has told him?
3. What happens to change Dr. Crab's impression of Sayuri in chapter 19?
4. Write a brief description of Chiyo's relationship with Auntie as shown in chapters 5 and 6.
5. What does Mameha tell Chiyo at the beginning of chapter 12 to do in regards to Hatsumomo?
6. Briefly explain the Chairman's relationship with Nobu.
7. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
8. What is the apprentice's award?
9. How does Chiyo rationalize the visit with Mrs. Fidget, considering her hopes that Mr. Tanaka will adopt her and Satsu?
10. What does Chiyo, as narrator, say about the art of arranging flowers in chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Arthur Golden uses symbols to further the plot in chapters 9 and 10 when Chiyo is trying to decide what to do with her future. Back up your description with several examples from the text, such as Chiyo's dream of the old man opening the window, the dead moth, the several wrapped packages, or Mameha's consultation of the almanac.
Essay Topic 2
In looking back on her life as an older woman in New York, Sayuri talks about change as well as constants throughout her life. Explain which things these are and describe Sayuri's view of how her life has changed over time.
Essay Topic 3
Explain in detail why her first meeting with the Chairman is a significant experience for Chiyo and describe what she decides to do based on this meeting.
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)