|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Awajiumi do for a living before he began working at the Gion Registry Office?
2. What does the cook have in her hand when Mameha and Sayuri arrive at Mameha's former okiya?
3. What does Pumpkin leave the okiya to get for Hatsumomo in chapter 20?
4. What does Chiyo first notice about Hatsumomo?
5. Why does Mother say Chiyo should be punished for ruining Mameha's kimono?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the story of Mameha's kimono in chapter 6.
2. What is the apprentice's award?
3. What does Mameha tell Dr. Crab to make him doubt what Hatsumomo has told him?
4. What does Mameha tell Chiyo at the beginning of chapter 12 to do in regards to Hatsumomo?
5. Why does Mameha refuse to tell Sayuri about her plan?
6. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
7. What does Chiyo, as narrator, say about the art of arranging flowers in chapter 12?
8. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
9. What does Pumpkin reveal that Hatsumomo has said to Dr. Crab to ruin Sayuri's chances with him?
10. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to do when talking with Nobu, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the wide range of thoughts and emotions Chiyo faces when finds out that Mr. Tanaka isn't planning to adopt her and her sister and explain how these emotions recur throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Use a specific situation from the story to characterize the topic of exploitation as it recurs throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Just prior to Chiyo being made an apprentice, Mameha teaches her something and then asks her to put it into practice on the street. Explain what Mameha has taught Chiyo and why this is important for Chiyo to be able to do as a geisha.
This section contains 1,358 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)