|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hatsumomo's boyfriend do for a living?
2. Around which year does the narrator say Chiyo arrives in Kyoto?
3. What color is the fabric used to create an apprentice geisha's hairstyle?
4. Who does Chiyo believe she hears saying her name in their sleep in chapter 8?
5. How does Hatsumomo manage to show up at every party Mameha and Sayuri are at?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pumpkin decline to run away from the okiya with Chiyo?
2. Why does Mameha refuse to tell Sayuri about her plan?
3. Explain the deal that Mother and Mameha enter into regarding Chiyo at the end of chapter 11.
4. Explain the story of Mameha's kimono in chapter 6.
5. What does Chiyo infer that Mameha is planning to do in regards to Hatsumomo, based on the conversation they have at Mameha's apartment in chapter 10?
6. What does Chiyo, as narrator, say about the art of arranging flowers in chapter 12?
7. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
8. What caused Nobu's injuries?
9. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
10. Explain how Sayuri gets her new name.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characterization of men in the novel as opposed to the characterization of women, and back up your answers with specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what is meant by the term "self-made man", which characteristics such a person might have, and why the characters of both Nobu and the Chairman fit into this category.
Essay Topic 3
In looking back on her life as an older woman in New York, Sayuri talks about change as well as constants throughout her life. Explain which things these are and describe Sayuri's view of how her life has changed over time.
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)