|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Crab accuse Mameha and Sayuri of doing?
2. What does Mother tell Chiyo that Granny spends her whole day doing?
3. What does Mameha tell her maid to do with Chiyo when she sees her the first time after a long absence?
4. What are "zori"?
5. What happened the same month that Sayuri first met the Chairman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Chiyo's first impression of Hatsumomo?
2. How does Hatsumomo destroy Sayuri's debut in chapter 15?
3. Why does Mameha refuse to tell Sayuri about her plan?
4. Briefly explain the Chairman's relationship with Nobu.
5. What happens to change Dr. Crab's impression of Sayuri in chapter 19?
6. What does Pumpkin reveal that Hatsumomo has said to Dr. Crab to ruin Sayuri's chances with him?
7. Explain what Sayuri says in chapter 15 at the time of her debut about how she is beginning to feel about Hatsumomo's beauty.
8. Explain how Satsu seems to be doing when Chiyo sees her in chapter 7.
9. Write a brief description of Chiyo's relationship with Auntie as shown in chapters 5 and 6.
10. How does her meeting with the Chairman affect Chiyo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail why her first meeting with the Chairman is a significant experience for Chiyo and describe what she decides to do based on this meeting.
Essay Topic 2
Use a specific situation from the story to characterize the topic of exploitation as it recurs throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Just prior to Chiyo being made an apprentice, Mameha teaches her something and then asks her to put it into practice on the street. Explain what Mameha has taught Chiyo and why this is important for Chiyo to be able to do as a geisha.
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)