|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the fabric used to create an apprentice geisha's hairstyle?
2. What does Chiyo keep doing when she bows on the street with Mameha that causes Mameha to pull her into an alley and show her the proper way of bowing?
3. What is hataki komi?
4. What word does Nobu use to characterize geisha naming traditions?
5. Whose graves does Chiyo see in the graveyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Sayuri says in chapter 15 at the time of her debut about how she is beginning to feel about Hatsumomo's beauty.
2. Why does Pumpkin decline to run away from the okiya with Chiyo?
3. What is the apprentice's award?
4. What does Chiyo infer that Mameha is planning to do in regards to Hatsumomo, based on the conversation they have at Mameha's apartment in chapter 10?
5. Explain the story of Mameha's kimono in chapter 6.
6. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
7. Explain how Sayuri gets her new name.
8. How does Chiyo feel about Mr. Tanaka when she first meets him?
9. How does her meeting with the Chairman affect Chiyo?
10. What caused Nobu's injuries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the Baron's forceful undressing of her as an example, describe Sayuri's inability to defend herself and explain how this inability relates to Nobu and what angers him throughout his friendship with Sayuri.
Essay Topic 2
In chapters 1-8, Chiyo frequently thinks about escaping. Describe the things she wants to escape from, as well as how her desires to escape evolve to become more and more concrete as the story develops.
Essay Topic 3
List several of the elements of style used by Arthur Golden throughout the novel and explain how they support the novel's major themes.
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)