|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After she learns that Mother will be adopting Pumpkin, how much time does Mameha say she and Sayuri have to ensure Sayuri's success?
2. What are ohana?
3. Who comes to get Chiyo and Satsu at the beginning of chapter 3?
4. What does Chiyo break by falling off the roof?
5. Why does Mameha say Hatsumomo is trying to make Pumpkin look good?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the story of Mameha's kimono in chapter 6.
2. Explain the deal that Mother and Mameha enter into regarding Chiyo at the end of chapter 11.
3. Describe the momoware and its meaning.
4. How does her meeting with the Chairman affect Chiyo?
5. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
6. Explain what Mameha spends her time doing with Chiyo in chapter 13 and why.
7. What does Chiyo, as narrator, say about the art of arranging flowers in chapter 12?
8. Write a brief description of Chiyo's relationship with Auntie as shown in chapters 5 and 6.
9. Explain the mixed feelings Pumpkin seems to have on the event of her debut as an apprentice.
10. What is Chiyo's first impression of Hatsumomo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Just prior to Chiyo being made an apprentice, Mameha teaches her something and then asks her to put it into practice on the street. Explain what Mameha has taught Chiyo and why this is important for Chiyo to be able to do as a geisha.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Nobu's character is used as a symbol of both ugliness and beauty throughout the novel using specific information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In chapters 1-8, Chiyo frequently thinks about escaping. Describe the things she wants to escape from, as well as how her desires to escape evolve to become more and more concrete as the story develops.
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)