|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Tanaka write has happened to Satsu?
2. Sayuri compares Hatsumomo's beauty to that of an object someone had shown her some years after the story took place. What was the object?
3. What does Pumpkin leave the okiya to get for Hatsumomo in chapter 20?
4. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to show to men when she's filling their teacups?
5. Who announces Mameha's visit to Mother at the beginning of chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stories does Sayuri tell when it's her turn to play "Big Liar"?
2. Describe the momoware and its meaning.
3. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to do when talking with Nobu, and why?
4. What does the Chairman say he believes Sayuri's reason is for having seduced the Minister?
5. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
6. What happens to change Dr. Crab's impression of Sayuri in chapter 19?
7. What reason does Pumpkin give for having betrayed Sayuri?
8. Explain the story of Mameha's kimono in chapter 6.
9. How does Mameha get Dr. Crab to take notice of Sayuri?
10. Explain how Sayuri finds herself in a difficult situation when Mameha comes to the okiya to collect on her bet with Mother.
Essay Topic 1
Use a specific situation from the story to characterize the topic of exploitation as it recurs throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Nobu's character is used as a symbol of both ugliness and beauty throughout the novel using specific information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what is meant by the term "self-made man", which characteristics such a person might have, and why the characters of both Nobu and the Chairman fit into this category.
This section contains 2,041 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)