|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to get Chiyo and Satsu at the beginning of chapter 3?
2. What does Chiyo first notice about Hatsumomo?
3. Whose graves does Chiyo see in the graveyard?
4. What does Chiyo say regularly complicates the task of doing her chores?
5. What are "zori"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mother's reaction to her conversation with Mameha in chapter 11?
2. Write a brief description of Chiyo's relationship with Auntie as shown in chapters 5 and 6.
3. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
4. Explain the mixed feelings Pumpkin seems to have on the event of her debut as an apprentice.
5. How does Hatsumomo destroy Sayuri's debut in chapter 15?
6. Explain how Satsu seems to be doing when Chiyo sees her in chapter 7.
7. Explain the story of Mameha's kimono in chapter 6.
8. How does Chiyo rationalize the visit with Mrs. Fidget, considering her hopes that Mr. Tanaka will adopt her and Satsu?
9. Why does Pumpkin decline to run away from the okiya with Chiyo?
10. What does Mameha tell Chiyo at the beginning of chapter 12 to do in regards to Hatsumomo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characterization of men in the novel as opposed to the characterization of women, and back up your answers with specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the wide range of thoughts and emotions Chiyo faces when finds out that Mr. Tanaka isn't planning to adopt her and her sister and explain how these emotions recur throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Use a specific situation from the story to characterize the topic of exploitation as it recurs throughout the novel.
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)