|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What's wrong with the kimono Mameha wants Sayuri to put on near the beginning of chapter 18?
2. Which teahouse does Mameha entertain Dr. Crab at the end of chapter 20?
3. Why does Mameha say Hatsumomo is trying to make Pumpkin look good?
4. Why does Mameha say Mother wants Chiyo to fail?
5. What remark does the Chairman make about Sayuri's kimono?
Short Essay Questions
1. Write a brief description of Chiyo's relationship with Auntie as shown in chapters 5 and 6.
2. How does Chiyo rationalize the visit with Mrs. Fidget, considering her hopes that Mr. Tanaka will adopt her and Satsu?
3. Why does Mameha refuse to tell Sayuri about her plan?
4. What is Mother's reaction to her conversation with Mameha in chapter 11?
5. How does Chiyo feel about Mr. Tanaka when she first meets him?
6. Describe the momoware and its meaning.
7. Explain how Sayuri gets her new name.
8. Briefly explain the Chairman's relationship with Nobu.
9. What is the apprentice's award?
10. How does her meeting with the Chairman affect Chiyo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use a specific situation from the story to characterize the topic of exploitation as it recurs throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Just prior to Chiyo being made an apprentice, Mameha teaches her something and then asks her to put it into practice on the street. Explain what Mameha has taught Chiyo and why this is important for Chiyo to be able to do as a geisha.
Essay Topic 3
Using at least three different examples, explain how beauty takes on varying forms throughout the novel.
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)