Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mameha say Mother won't adopt Hatsumomo?
2. What are tsutsumi, okawa, and taiko?
3. In talking with Mother, what excuse does Chiyo make up for her presence in the entrance hall during Mameha's visit?
4. In chapter 16, what does Mameha claim Hatsumomo's behavior proves?
5. Which element does Chiyo's mother have too much of in her personality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Pumpkin give for having betrayed Sayuri?
2. How does the rumor get started that Hatsumomo has been declared mentally unstable?
3. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
4. Write a brief description of Chiyo's relationship with Auntie as shown in chapters 5 and 6.
5. Explain how Sayuri finds herself in a difficult situation when Mameha comes to the okiya to collect on her bet with Mother.
6. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
7. What is the purpose of Nobu's visit to Sayuri at the Arashino estate?
8. Why does Pumpkin decline to run away from the okiya with Chiyo?
9. What stories does Sayuri tell when it's her turn to play "Big Liar"?
10. What is Sayuri's impression of Pumpkin when she arrives at the Ichiriki to help entertain the Minister?
In chapters 1-8, Chiyo frequently thinks about escaping. Describe the things she wants to escape from, as well as how her desires to escape evolve to become more and more concrete as the story develops.
Use a specific situation from the story to characterize the topic of exploitation as it recurs throughout the novel.
Using at least three different examples, explain how beauty takes on varying forms throughout the novel.
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)