|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mameha say Mother wants Chiyo to fail?
2. What gift does Nobu present to Sayuri?
3. What does Kuniko say Taro is afraid of?
4. Where is the ceremony performed that ties Pumpkin and Hatsumomo together as sisters?
5. What excuse does Mameha make up for her visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chiyo rationalize the visit with Mrs. Fidget, considering her hopes that Mr. Tanaka will adopt her and Satsu?
2. Why does Pumpkin decline to run away from the okiya with Chiyo?
3. What is the apprentice's award?
4. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
5. Explain what Mameha spends her time doing with Chiyo in chapter 13 and why.
6. What does Mameha tell Dr. Crab to make him doubt what Hatsumomo has told him?
7. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to do when talking with Nobu, and why?
8. What is Chiyo's first impression of Hatsumomo?
9. Describe the momoware and its meaning.
10. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Nobu's character is used as a symbol of both ugliness and beauty throughout the novel using specific information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Using at least three different examples, explain how beauty takes on varying forms throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the wide range of thoughts and emotions Chiyo faces when finds out that Mr. Tanaka isn't planning to adopt her and her sister and explain how these emotions recur throughout the novel.
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)