Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mameha say Mother won't adopt Hatsumomo?
2. What are tsutsumi, okawa, and taiko?
3. In talking with Mother, what excuse does Chiyo make up for her presence in the entrance hall during Mameha's visit?
4. In chapter 16, what does Mameha claim Hatsumomo's behavior proves?
5. Which element does Chiyo's mother have too much of in her personality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Pumpkin give for having betrayed Sayuri?
2. How does the rumor get started that Hatsumomo has been declared mentally unstable?
3. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
4. Write a brief description of Chiyo's relationship with Auntie as shown in chapters 5 and 6.
5. Explain how Sayuri finds herself in a difficult situation when Mameha comes to the okiya to collect on her bet with Mother.
6. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
7. What is the purpose of Nobu's visit to Sayuri at the Arashino estate?
8. Why does Pumpkin decline to run away from the okiya with Chiyo?
9. What stories does Sayuri tell when it's her turn to play "Big Liar"?
10. What is Sayuri's impression of Pumpkin when she arrives at the Ichiriki to help entertain the Minister?
Essay Topic 1
Explain what a "plot device" is and describe how the Chairman can be considered a plot device, using specific details from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Nobu's character is used as a symbol of both ugliness and beauty throughout the novel using specific information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Define what it means to "grow up", and, using the rites of passage found in the book, explain the events that happen that lead to Sayuri "growing up".
This section contains 1,435 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)