|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In talking with Mother, what excuse does Chiyo make up for her presence in the entrance hall during Mameha's visit?
2. What gift does Nobu present to Sayuri?
3. What does Chiyo compare life to at the beginning of chapter 9 to make her point about change?
4. Why does Mother say Chiyo should be punished for ruining Mameha's kimono?
5. What does Chiyo break by falling off the roof?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mameha tell Dr. Crab to make him doubt what Hatsumomo has told him?
2. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
3. How does her meeting with the Chairman affect Chiyo?
4. Why does Pumpkin decline to run away from the okiya with Chiyo?
5. What does Mameha tell Chiyo at the beginning of chapter 12 to do in regards to Hatsumomo?
6. What is Chiyo's first impression of Hatsumomo?
7. How does Chiyo feel about Mr. Tanaka when she first meets him?
8. What is the apprentice's award?
9. Explain how Satsu seems to be doing when Chiyo sees her in chapter 7.
10. Explain the mixed feelings Pumpkin seems to have on the event of her debut as an apprentice.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Just prior to Chiyo being made an apprentice, Mameha teaches her something and then asks her to put it into practice on the street. Explain what Mameha has taught Chiyo and why this is important for Chiyo to be able to do as a geisha.
Essay Topic 2
Sayuri experiences several ceremonies throughout her time as a geisha. Describe these ceremonies and their purpose, and explain how Sayuri feels about each of them.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Nobu's character is used as a symbol of both ugliness and beauty throughout the novel using specific information from the text.
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)