|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a momoware?
2. What does Mameha say generous people don't do?
3. How does Hatsumomo manage to show up at every party Mameha and Sayuri are at?
4. Which element does Chiyo's mother have too much of in her personality?
5. What does Chiyo think she's seen in the maids' room when she returns to the okiya in chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Sayuri feels about the act of seducing the Minister.
2. What is Mother's reaction to her conversation with Mameha in chapter 11?
3. Why does Nobu say he's angry with Sayuri at the end of chapter 26?
4. What happens when Sayuri watches Mameha dance at the performance of "Dances of the Old Capital"?
5. What happens to change Dr. Crab's impression of Sayuri in chapter 19?
6. Explain what Mameha spends her time doing with Chiyo in chapter 13 and why.
7. Explain the mixed feelings Pumpkin seems to have on the event of her debut as an apprentice.
8. How does Mother deal with Hatsumomo's rage when the latter finds out that Mother won't be adopting Pumpkin?
9. Why doesn't Sayuri stop the Baron from undressing her at the end of chapter 22?
10. What is the apprentice's award?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail why her first meeting with the Chairman is a significant experience for Chiyo and describe what she decides to do based on this meeting.
Essay Topic 2
List several of the elements of style used by Arthur Golden throughout the novel and explain how they support the novel's major themes.
Essay Topic 3
Just prior to Chiyo being made an apprentice, Mameha teaches her something and then asks her to put it into practice on the street. Explain what Mameha has taught Chiyo and why this is important for Chiyo to be able to do as a geisha.
This section contains 1,961 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)