|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Auntie say will end up in a jorou-ya if she ever gets what she deserves?
2. What did Chiyo hide under the house's foundation that she finds again in chapter 9?
3. Which element does Chiyo's mother have too much of in her personality?
4. Why does Mameha say Mother wants Chiyo to fail?
5. What happens to a geisha who marries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
2. What is the apprentice's award?
3. Explain the story of Mameha's kimono in chapter 6.
4. Explain what Mameha spends her time doing with Chiyo in chapter 13 and why.
5. What is Mother's reaction to her conversation with Mameha in chapter 11?
6. Why does Mameha refuse to tell Sayuri about her plan?
7. Briefly explain the Chairman's relationship with Nobu.
8. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to do when talking with Nobu, and why?
9. What does Chiyo infer that Mameha is planning to do in regards to Hatsumomo, based on the conversation they have at Mameha's apartment in chapter 10?
10. How does Chiyo feel about Mr. Tanaka when she first meets him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapters 1-8, Chiyo frequently thinks about escaping. Describe the things she wants to escape from, as well as how her desires to escape evolve to become more and more concrete as the story develops.
Essay Topic 2
Recalling Nobu's explanation of what the sumo wrestlers were doing in chapter 17 and how it gave Mameha a good idea on how to destroy Hatsumomo, describe the parallels between sumo and the strategic thought necessary to be successful in life as a geisha.
Essay Topic 3
Using at least three different examples, explain how beauty takes on varying forms throughout the novel.
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)