|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hatsumomo manage to show up at every party Mameha and Sayuri are at?
2. What does Chiyo say regularly complicates the task of doing her chores?
3. What does Hatsumomo's boyfriend do for a living?
4. What are "zori"?
5. How does Mameha tell Sayuri to act when she meets the Doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
2. What is Chiyo's first impression of Hatsumomo?
3. What does Chiyo infer that Mameha is planning to do in regards to Hatsumomo, based on the conversation they have at Mameha's apartment in chapter 10?
4. Explain what Sayuri says in chapter 15 at the time of her debut about how she is beginning to feel about Hatsumomo's beauty.
5. How does Mameha get Dr. Crab to take notice of Sayuri?
6. What caused Nobu's injuries?
7. How does Chiyo feel about Mr. Tanaka when she first meets him?
8. What is Mother's reaction to her conversation with Mameha in chapter 11?
9. What does Mameha tell Chiyo at the beginning of chapter 12 to do in regards to Hatsumomo?
10. What is the apprentice's award?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her time in the okiya, Chiyo faces a great deal of adversity. Describe the difficulties she faces and the strategies she develops to deal with these difficulties.
Essay Topic 2
Define what it means to "grow up", and, using the rites of passage found in the book, explain the events that happen that lead to Sayuri "growing up".
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characterization of men in the novel as opposed to the characterization of women, and back up your answers with specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)