|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nobu say are the three most important things in life?
2. What does the Baron make Mameha remove from its place in her apartment?
3. What word does Nobu use to characterize geisha naming traditions?
4. How does Pumpkin react to Mameha's visit?
5. What does Chiyo think she's seen in the maids' room when she returns to the okiya in chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Chiyo's first impression of Hatsumomo?
2. Why does Pumpkin decline to run away from the okiya with Chiyo?
3. Explain how Sayuri gets her new name.
4. Briefly explain the Chairman's relationship with Nobu.
5. How does Chiyo feel about Mr. Tanaka when she first meets him?
6. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
7. Explain what Sayuri says in chapter 15 at the time of her debut about how she is beginning to feel about Hatsumomo's beauty.
8. Explain what Mameha spends her time doing with Chiyo in chapter 13 and why.
9. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to do when talking with Nobu, and why?
10. How does Hatsumomo destroy Sayuri's debut in chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the Baron's forceful undressing of her as an example, describe Sayuri's inability to defend herself and explain how this inability relates to Nobu and what angers him throughout his friendship with Sayuri.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what is meant by the term "self-made man", which characteristics such a person might have, and why the characters of both Nobu and the Chairman fit into this category.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what a "plot device" is and describe how the Chairman can be considered a plot device, using specific details from the novel.
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)