|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose graves does Chiyo see in the graveyard?
2. What word does Nobu use to characterize geisha naming traditions?
3. Which teahouse does Mameha entertain Dr. Crab at the end of chapter 20?
4. Why is Sayuri worried that Mameha wants Nobu to become her danna?
5. What does Kuniko say Taro is afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Chiyo's first impression of Hatsumomo?
2. What does Mameha tell Chiyo at the beginning of chapter 12 to do in regards to Hatsumomo?
3. How does Mameha get Dr. Crab to take notice of Sayuri?
4. What does Mameha tell Dr. Crab to make him doubt what Hatsumomo has told him?
5. Explain the story of Mameha's kimono in chapter 6.
6. What caused Nobu's injuries?
7. Explain what Mameha spends her time doing with Chiyo in chapter 13 and why.
8. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
9. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to do when talking with Nobu, and why?
10. Explain the deal that Mother and Mameha enter into regarding Chiyo at the end of chapter 11.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use a specific situation from the story to characterize the topic of exploitation as it recurs throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what is meant by the term "self-made man", which characteristics such a person might have, and why the characters of both Nobu and the Chairman fit into this category.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Arthur Golden uses symbols to further the plot in chapters 9 and 10 when Chiyo is trying to decide what to do with her future. Back up your description with several examples from the text, such as Chiyo's dream of the old man opening the window, the dead moth, the several wrapped packages, or Mameha's consultation of the almanac.
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)