|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which element does Chiyo's mother have too much of in her personality?
2. Who announces Mameha's visit to Mother at the beginning of chapter 11?
3. What does Sayuri say she felt happened to Chiyo?
4. What is a momoware?
5. Where does Chiyo go after eating her shaved ice in chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mameha tell Chiyo at the beginning of chapter 12 to do in regards to Hatsumomo?
2. What is the apprentice's award?
3. Explain the mixed feelings Pumpkin seems to have on the event of her debut as an apprentice.
4. Explain the deal that Mother and Mameha enter into regarding Chiyo at the end of chapter 11.
5. Explain how Sayuri gets her new name.
6. Why does Mameha refuse to tell Sayuri about her plan?
7. What does Pumpkin reveal that Hatsumomo has said to Dr. Crab to ruin Sayuri's chances with him?
8. How does Chiyo feel about Mr. Tanaka when she first meets him?
9. How does her meeting with the Chairman affect Chiyo?
10. Describe the momoware and its meaning.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some aspects of the feudal age of Japan that you think are relevant to the story and explain why there is an underlying theme of conflict between the feudal age and the self-made man.
Essay Topic 2
Just prior to Chiyo being made an apprentice, Mameha teaches her something and then asks her to put it into practice on the street. Explain what Mameha has taught Chiyo and why this is important for Chiyo to be able to do as a geisha.
Essay Topic 3
Recall chapter 22 in which Sayuri watches Mameha dance in "A Courtier Returns to His Wife" and Mother tells Sayuri she will be adopting her. At this point in the story, explain how the author touches on the topic of loss by depicting several of the characters dealing with their own losses by describing who has lost what and how each character copes.
This section contains 1,358 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)