|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Awajiumi do for a living before he began working at the Gion Registry Office?
2. What does Sayuri compare her encounter with the Chairman to at the beginning of chapter 19?
3. After she learns that Mother will be adopting Pumpkin, how much time does Mameha say she and Sayuri have to ensure Sayuri's success?
4. How much does Mother first offer Mameha on top of her usual fee for her services of being an older sister if Chiyo pays off her debts by twenty?
5. What does Uchida Kosaburo do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mameha refuse to tell Sayuri about her plan?
2. What is Chiyo's first impression of Hatsumomo?
3. Explain how Sayuri gets her new name.
4. What does Pumpkin reveal that Hatsumomo has said to Dr. Crab to ruin Sayuri's chances with him?
5. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
6. What happens to change Dr. Crab's impression of Sayuri in chapter 19?
7. What is Mother's reaction to her conversation with Mameha in chapter 11?
8. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
9. Explain how Satsu seems to be doing when Chiyo sees her in chapter 7.
10. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to do when talking with Nobu, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the wide range of thoughts and emotions Chiyo faces when finds out that Mr. Tanaka isn't planning to adopt her and her sister and explain how these emotions recur throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail why her first meeting with the Chairman is a significant experience for Chiyo and describe what she decides to do based on this meeting.
Essay Topic 3
In looking back on her life as an older woman in New York, Sayuri talks about change as well as constants throughout her life. Explain which things these are and describe Sayuri's view of how her life has changed over time.
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)