|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chiyo first notice about Hatsumomo?
2. Why does Hatsumomo say Mameha is trying to drive her out of Gion?
3. What are tsutsumi, okawa, and taiko?
4. What does Sayuri do when Hatsumomo arrives at the Ichiriki and finds her entertaining the Chairman alone?
5. What does Mother tell Chiyo that Granny spends her whole day doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pumpkin reveal that Hatsumomo has said to Dr. Crab to ruin Sayuri's chances with him?
2. Why does Pumpkin decline to run away from the okiya with Chiyo?
3. How does Hatsumomo destroy Sayuri's debut in chapter 15?
4. What happens to change Dr. Crab's impression of Sayuri in chapter 19?
5. What does Chiyo infer that Mameha is planning to do in regards to Hatsumomo, based on the conversation they have at Mameha's apartment in chapter 10?
6. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
7. Write a brief description of Chiyo's relationship with Auntie as shown in chapters 5 and 6.
8. Explain what Sayuri says in chapter 15 at the time of her debut about how she is beginning to feel about Hatsumomo's beauty.
9. What is Chiyo's first impression of Hatsumomo?
10. What does Mameha tell Dr. Crab to make him doubt what Hatsumomo has told him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the wide range of thoughts and emotions Chiyo faces when finds out that Mr. Tanaka isn't planning to adopt her and her sister and explain how these emotions recur throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some aspects of the feudal age of Japan that you think are relevant to the story and explain why there is an underlying theme of conflict between the feudal age and the self-made man.
Essay Topic 3
Just prior to Chiyo being made an apprentice, Mameha teaches her something and then asks her to put it into practice on the street. Explain what Mameha has taught Chiyo and why this is important for Chiyo to be able to do as a geisha.
This section contains 1,297 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)