Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mameha say Mother won't adopt Hatsumomo?
2. What are tsutsumi, okawa, and taiko?
3. In talking with Mother, what excuse does Chiyo make up for her presence in the entrance hall during Mameha's visit?
4. In chapter 16, what does Mameha claim Hatsumomo's behavior proves?
5. Which element does Chiyo's mother have too much of in her personality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Pumpkin give for having betrayed Sayuri?
2. How does the rumor get started that Hatsumomo has been declared mentally unstable?
3. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
4. Write a brief description of Chiyo's relationship with Auntie as shown in chapters 5 and 6.
5. Explain how Sayuri finds herself in a difficult situation when Mameha comes to the okiya to collect on her bet with Mother.
6. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
7. What is the purpose of Nobu's visit to Sayuri at the Arashino estate?
8. Why does Pumpkin decline to run away from the okiya with Chiyo?
9. What stories does Sayuri tell when it's her turn to play "Big Liar"?
10. What is Sayuri's impression of Pumpkin when she arrives at the Ichiriki to help entertain the Minister?
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail why her first meeting with the Chairman is a significant experience for Chiyo and describe what she decides to do based on this meeting.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her time in the okiya, Chiyo faces a great deal of adversity. Describe the difficulties she faces and the strategies she develops to deal with these difficulties.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what is meant by the term "self-made man", which characteristics such a person might have, and why the characters of both Nobu and the Chairman fit into this category.
This section contains 1,446 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)