|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are ohana?
2. How much does Mother first offer Mameha on top of her usual fee for her services of being an older sister if Chiyo pays off her debts by twenty?
3. After she learns that Mother will be adopting Pumpkin, how much time does Mameha say she and Sayuri have to ensure Sayuri's success?
4. What does Pumpkin say she'd rather drink when Hatsumomo insists she drink a beer with her at the beginning of chapter 20?
5. What does the cook have in her hand when Mameha and Sayuri arrive at Mameha's former okiya?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Chiyo's first impression of Hatsumomo?
2. Why doesn't Sayuri stop the Baron from undressing her at the end of chapter 22?
3. How does Mameha get Dr. Crab to take notice of Sayuri?
4. Explain the story of Mameha's kimono in chapter 6.
5. What is Sayuri's impression of Pumpkin when she arrives at the Ichiriki to help entertain the Minister?
6. Explain the disagreement Hatsumomo and Sayuri have about the brooch in chapter 27.
7. Why does Nobu say he's angry with Sayuri at the end of chapter 26?
8. Explain what Sayuri says in chapter 15 at the time of her debut about how she is beginning to feel about Hatsumomo's beauty.
9. How does Sayuri come to the impression that the Chairman is in love with Pumpkin?
10. Describe how Sayuri feels about the act of seducing the Minister.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Just prior to Chiyo being made an apprentice, Mameha teaches her something and then asks her to put it into practice on the street. Explain what Mameha has taught Chiyo and why this is important for Chiyo to be able to do as a geisha.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the wide range of thoughts and emotions Chiyo faces when finds out that Mr. Tanaka isn't planning to adopt her and her sister and explain how these emotions recur throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In looking back on her life as an older woman in New York, Sayuri talks about change as well as constants throughout her life. Explain which things these are and describe Sayuri's view of how her life has changed over time.
This section contains 1,935 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)