|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sayuri compares Hatsumomo's beauty to that of an object someone had shown her some years after the story took place. What was the object?
2. How much does Mother first offer Mameha on top of her usual fee for her services of being an older sister if Chiyo pays off her debts by twenty?
3. Why does Mameha say Hatsumomo is trying to make Pumpkin look good?
4. Who repeatedly invites Sayuri to the Ichiriki Teahouse to entertain in chapter 19?
5. What does Chiyo compare life to at the beginning of chapter 9 to make her point about change?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Satsu seems to be doing when Chiyo sees her in chapter 7.
2. What does Mameha tell Dr. Crab to make him doubt what Hatsumomo has told him?
3. Explain the story of Mameha's kimono in chapter 6.
4. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
5. How does Chiyo feel about Mr. Tanaka when she first meets him?
6. Explain the mixed feelings Pumpkin seems to have on the event of her debut as an apprentice.
7. What is Chiyo's first impression of Hatsumomo?
8. Describe the momoware and its meaning.
9. What is the apprentice's award?
10. Why does Pumpkin decline to run away from the okiya with Chiyo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Arthur Golden uses symbols to further the plot in chapters 9 and 10 when Chiyo is trying to decide what to do with her future. Back up your description with several examples from the text, such as Chiyo's dream of the old man opening the window, the dead moth, the several wrapped packages, or Mameha's consultation of the almanac.
Essay Topic 2
Recalling Nobu's explanation of what the sumo wrestlers were doing in chapter 17 and how it gave Mameha a good idea on how to destroy Hatsumomo, describe the parallels between sumo and the strategic thought necessary to be successful in life as a geisha.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the wide range of thoughts and emotions Chiyo faces when finds out that Mr. Tanaka isn't planning to adopt her and her sister and explain how these emotions recur throughout the novel.
This section contains 1,336 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)