|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to a geisha who marries?
2. What does Kuniko say Taro is afraid of?
3. Why does Hatsumomo say Sayuri should say "Ah...ah..." at the beginning of chapter 15?
4. What does Sayuri compare herself to in explaining to Pumpkin the desperate situation she's in?
5. How does Pumpkin react to Mameha's visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the momoware and its meaning.
2. What is Mother's reaction to her conversation with Mameha in chapter 11?
3. How does Mameha get Dr. Crab to take notice of Sayuri?
4. Explain the story of Mameha's kimono in chapter 6.
5. What happens to change Dr. Crab's impression of Sayuri in chapter 19?
6. Explain what Sayuri says in chapter 15 at the time of her debut about how she is beginning to feel about Hatsumomo's beauty.
7. Explain what Mameha spends her time doing with Chiyo in chapter 13 and why.
8. Explain the deal that Mother and Mameha enter into regarding Chiyo at the end of chapter 11.
9. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
10. What caused Nobu's injuries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the wide range of thoughts and emotions Chiyo faces when finds out that Mr. Tanaka isn't planning to adopt her and her sister and explain how these emotions recur throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail why her first meeting with the Chairman is a significant experience for Chiyo and describe what she decides to do based on this meeting.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some aspects of the feudal age of Japan that you think are relevant to the story and explain why there is an underlying theme of conflict between the feudal age and the self-made man.
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)