|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are "zori"?
2. In which city was Nobu injured?
3. What does the cook have in her hand when Mameha and Sayuri arrive at Mameha's former okiya?
4. Who does Auntie say will end up in a jorou-ya if she ever gets what she deserves?
5. How does Pumpkin react to Mameha's visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pumpkin reveal that Hatsumomo has said to Dr. Crab to ruin Sayuri's chances with him?
2. Why does Pumpkin decline to run away from the okiya with Chiyo?
3. Explain what Mameha spends her time doing with Chiyo in chapter 13 and why.
4. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to do when talking with Nobu, and why?
5. Write a brief description of Chiyo's relationship with Auntie as shown in chapters 5 and 6.
6. What is Chiyo's first impression of Hatsumomo?
7. Explain the deal that Mother and Mameha enter into regarding Chiyo at the end of chapter 11.
8. What does Chiyo infer that Mameha is planning to do in regards to Hatsumomo, based on the conversation they have at Mameha's apartment in chapter 10?
9. What is Mother's reaction to her conversation with Mameha in chapter 11?
10. Explain what Sayuri says in chapter 15 at the time of her debut about how she is beginning to feel about Hatsumomo's beauty.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Recall chapter 22 in which Sayuri watches Mameha dance in "A Courtier Returns to His Wife" and Mother tells Sayuri she will be adopting her. At this point in the story, explain how the author touches on the topic of loss by depicting several of the characters dealing with their own losses by describing who has lost what and how each character copes.
Essay Topic 2
Define what it means to "grow up", and, using the rites of passage found in the book, explain the events that happen that lead to Sayuri "growing up".
Essay Topic 3
Explain in detail why her first meeting with the Chairman is a significant experience for Chiyo and describe what she decides to do based on this meeting.
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)