|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hatsumomo shows Mother and Sayuri her bowl and jokes that her food looks like Nobu's blistered skin. What is she eating?
(a) A bowl of noodles.
(b) Dried peaches.
(c) Rice and red beans.
(d) Mashed plums.
2. How does Mameha react to the news that Mother will be adopting Sayuri?
(a) She is surprisingly angry.
(b) She is pleased but reserved.
(c) She is thrilled.
(d) She is afraid of what Hatsumomo will do now.
3. What does Dr. Crab leave for Sayuri as a gift?
(a) Her vial.
(b) A jewel.
(c) Chinese herbs.
(d) A gold box.
4. Who does the Chairman say has left him alone at the Ichiriki?
(b) The mistress.
(d) The maid.
5. Who passes out the tips after the geisha party at the beginning of chapter 25?
(a) The host.
(b) The top geisha.
(c) The host's wife.
(d) The maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mother insist Nobu's ruby was for?
2. How many years have passed since the Chairman told Sayuri about his feelings by the end of the narration?
3. How much did Sayuri's mizuage finally sell for?
4. Why does Mother suggest that Sayuri and Hatsumomo change rooms?
5. What does Pumpkin claim she knows Sayuri thinks she is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Sayuri and Nobu discuss when they see each other again after so many years in chapter 28?
2. Why doesn't Sayuri stop the Baron from undressing her at the end of chapter 22?
3. What does Sayuri think about on her way to Hakone?
4. What does the Chairman say he believes Sayuri's reason is for having seduced the Minister?
5. Explain how Sayuri finds herself in a difficult situation when Mameha comes to the okiya to collect on her bet with Mother.
6. What happens when Sayuri watches Mameha dance at the performance of "Dances of the Old Capital"?
7. What does the Minister do that so angers Nobu at the end of chapter 32?
8. What does Sayuri spend her time doing during her first week back in Gion after her years with the Arashinos?
9. What does Sayuri realize in thinking about Satsu while living with the Arashinos?
10. Describe how Sayuri feels about the act of seducing the Minister.
This section contains 1,537 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)