|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made-up story does Nobu tell when it's his turn to play "Big Liar"?
(a) He came home to find his white dog turning colors.
(b) He arrived at the office late yesterday.
(c) He has met a number of demons.
(d) There's a man living in his well.
2. What does the Chairman present to the Baron as a gift?
(a) A gold sword.
(b) A gold cane.
(c) A gold pipe.
(d) A gold box.
3. What does Arashino make?
(a) Tea assortments.
(c) Hair ornaments.
(d) Rice cakes.
4. What does Sayuri realize she is when the American soldiers roll through her village?
(a) A peasant.
(d) Different from other women.
5. Why isn't Pumpkin present the evening that Sayuri's dance moves the Chairman to tears?
(a) She's ill.
(b) She has other engagements.
(c) Nobu asked her not to come.
(d) She's tired.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Chairman say has left him alone at the Ichiriki?
2. How much did Sayuri's mizuage finally sell for?
3. Where does Mother tell Sayuri she'll be going for the weekend?
4. How many geisha were invited to the Iwamura Electric party Sayuri had been disinvited to at the end of chapter 24?
5. What does Sayuri learn from Yasuda Akira?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sayuri say in chapter 25 about geisha's talents for making conversation?
2. How does Sayuri come to the impression that the Chairman is in love with Pumpkin?
3. What does the Minister do that so angers Nobu at the end of chapter 32?
4. What does the Chairman say he believes Sayuri's reason is for having seduced the Minister?
5. What is Sayuri's impression of Pumpkin when she arrives at the Ichiriki to help entertain the Minister?
6. Describe Sayuri's encounter with Yasuda Akira and what she learns from it.
7. What causes Sayuri to begin talking to Dr. Crab about taking her clothes off?
8. What is the purpose of Nobu's visit to Sayuri at the Arashino estate?
9. What does Sayuri spend her time doing during her first week back in Gion after her years with the Arashinos?
10. What does Sayuri realize in thinking about Satsu while living with the Arashinos?
This section contains 1,388 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)