|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Sayuri and Nobu stop to look at on the way to the restroom in chapter 21?
(a) The pond.
(c) The cherry blossoms.
(d) The Baron's kimono collection.
2. What does Sayuri tell the Chairman he should do during their brief encounter in chapter 26?
(a) He should be careful not to drink so much.
(b) He should arrange for her to see Nobu.
(c) He should invite her to entertain at a party.
(d) He should be nicer to the apprentice geisha.
3. From whom does Iwamura Electric secure a loan?
(a) The Nitta okiya.
(b) Mitsubishi Bank.
(c) Mitsuyaga Bank.
(d) Toyota Bank.
4. What topic of conversation does Sayuri use at the beginning of chapter 25 to make an example of various geisha's talent for making conversation?
(a) The kimono.
(c) The cherry blossoms.
(d) The weather.
5. Who doesn't seem to be paying attention when Sayuri begins her story about stopping to cry by the Shirakawa Stream?
(b) The Minister.
(d) The Chairman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years have passed since the Chairman told Sayuri about his feelings by the end of the narration?
2. What gift does the Baron present to Sayuri?
3. Where does Sayuri find herself as soon after seeing the Chairman open the door to the theater as she can remember anything?
4. Why doesn't Nobu invite Sayuri in to the teahouse at the end of chapter 26?
5. Why does Sayuri say she believes the Chairman has come to the Ichiriki after the incident with the Chairman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Chairman say he believes Sayuri's reason is for having seduced the Minister?
2. What is the purpose of Nobu's visit to Sayuri at the Arashino estate?
3. Describe Sayuri's first encounter with Pumpkin after her return to Gion following the end of the war.
4. What does the Minister do that so angers Nobu at the end of chapter 32?
5. What reason does Pumpkin give for having betrayed Sayuri?
6. Why doesn't Nobu like the Baron?
7. What happens when Sayuri watches Mameha dance at the performance of "Dances of the Old Capital"?
8. Describe how Sayuri feels about the act of seducing the Minister.
9. Explain the disagreement Hatsumomo and Sayuri have about the brooch in chapter 27.
10. Describe Sayuri's encounter with Yasuda Akira and what she learns from it.
This section contains 1,540 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)