|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 12 what does the narrator say she did NOT study?
(a) The art of Bunraku puppet theater.
(b) The art of flower arranging.
(c) The art of calligraphy.
(d) The art of woodblock printing.
2. Sayuri compares Hatsumomo's beauty to that of an object someone had shown her some years after the story took place. What was the object?
(a) A spur.
(b) A whip.
(c) A sword.
(d) A pistol.
3. Where is the ceremony performed that ties Pumpkin and Hatsumomo together as sisters?
(a) At the Mizuki Teahouse.
(b) At the Nitta okiya.
(c) By the Shirakawa Stream.
(d) At the Gion Shrine.
4. How does Pumpkin react to Mameha's visit?
(a) She is the only one in the okiya not interested in Mameha's visit.
(b) She feels sorry for Chiyo because she thinks Chiyo is in trouble.
(c) She is eager to meet Mameha.
(d) She is angry because she knows Mameha is Hatsumomo's rival.
5. Whose graves does Chiyo see in the graveyard?
(a) Her father's first family's graves.
(b) Her siblings' graves.
(c) Her grandparents' graves.
(d) Her neighbors' graves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem does Sayuri have in trying to pour tea for the Chairman in chapter 17?
2. What's wrong with the kimono Mameha wants Sayuri to put on near the beginning of chapter 18?
3. What did Awajiumi do for a living before he began working at the Gion Registry Office?
4. What does Chiyo do at the end of chapter 13 that convinces Mameha that she is ready for her debut?
5. What happens to a geisha who marries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Mameha spends her time doing with Chiyo in chapter 13 and why.
2. Explain how Satsu seems to be doing when Chiyo sees her in chapter 7.
3. Describe the momoware and its meaning.
4. How does Chiyo feel about Mr. Tanaka when she first meets him?
5. What happens to change Dr. Crab's impression of Sayuri in chapter 19?
6. Explain how Sayuri gets her new name.
7. How does her meeting with the Chairman affect Chiyo?
8. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
9. What caused Nobu's injuries?
10. How does Chiyo rationalize the visit with Mrs. Fidget, considering her hopes that Mr. Tanaka will adopt her and Satsu?
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)