|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mameha say Sayuri can make a good impression on Nobu?
(a) By being especially nice to him.
(b) By continually pouring sake for him.
(c) By behaving well when she meets him despite his looks.
(d) By being especially nice to the founder of Iwamura Electric.
2. What does Uchida Kosaburo do for a living?
(a) He's an artist.
(b) He's a poet.
(c) He's a calligrapher.
(d) He's a choreographer.
3. What are tsutsumi, okawa, and taiko?
(a) Kinds of stringed instruments.
(b) Kinds of dances.
(c) Kinds of drums.
(d) Kinds of songs.
4. Who comes to get Chiyo and Satsu at the beginning of chapter 3?
(a) Mr. Tanaka's assistant.
(b) Mr. Tanaka.
(c) Mrs. Fidget.
(d) Their father.
5. What does Nobu say are the three most important things in life?
(a) Sumo, business, and loyalty.
(b) Love, sumo, and business.
(c) Sumo, business, and war.
(d) War, business, and love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Mameha make up for her visit?
2. What does the Baron make Mameha remove from its place in her apartment?
3. In chapter 16, what does Mameha tell Sayuri that Pumpkin has won?
4. Around which year does the narrator say Chiyo arrives in Kyoto?
5. In chapter 16, what does Mameha claim Hatsumomo's behavior proves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the momoware and its meaning.
2. Explain what Sayuri says in chapter 15 at the time of her debut about how she is beginning to feel about Hatsumomo's beauty.
3. Why does Pumpkin decline to run away from the okiya with Chiyo?
4. What happens to change Dr. Crab's impression of Sayuri in chapter 19?
5. Why does Nobu say he's angry with Sayuri at the end of chapter 26?
6. What does Sayuri realize she can do to keep Nobu out of her life forever?
7. What does Sayuri think about on her way to Hakone?
8. Explain how Satsu seems to be doing when Chiyo sees her in chapter 7.
9. What caused Nobu's injuries?
10. Explain what Mameha spends her time doing with Chiyo in chapter 13 and why.
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)