|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who announces Mameha's visit to Mother at the beginning of chapter 11?
2. What does Sayuri do when Hatsumomo arrives at the Ichiriki and finds her entertaining the Chairman alone?
(a) She spends all her time talking about Nobu.
(b) She leaves immediately.
(c) She acts bored.
(d) She lets Hatsumomo do all the entertaining.
3. What did Chiyo hide under the house's foundation that she finds again in chapter 9?
(a) A hairpin.
(b) A tree branch.
(c) A moth.
(d) A coin.
4. What does Nobu say are the three most important things in life?
(a) Love, sumo, and business.
(b) Sumo, business, and war.
(c) War, business, and love.
(d) Sumo, business, and loyalty.
5. Who comes to get Chiyo and Satsu at the beginning of chapter 3?
(a) Their father.
(b) Mr. Tanaka's assistant.
(c) Mrs. Fidget.
(d) Mr. Tanaka.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 12 what does the narrator say she did NOT study?
2. What did Awajiumi do for a living before he began working at the Gion Registry Office?
3. Who is Hatsumiyo?
4. What does the cook have in her hand when Mameha and Sayuri arrive at Mameha's former okiya?
5. What does Pumpkin leave the okiya to get for Hatsumomo in chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chiyo infer that Mameha is planning to do in regards to Hatsumomo, based on the conversation they have at Mameha's apartment in chapter 10?
2. What does Chiyo, as narrator, say about the art of arranging flowers in chapter 12?
3. How does Mameha get Dr. Crab to take notice of Sayuri?
4. What caused Nobu's injuries?
5. Describe the momoware and its meaning.
6. Briefly explain the Chairman's relationship with Nobu.
7. Explain what Sayuri says in chapter 15 at the time of her debut about how she is beginning to feel about Hatsumomo's beauty.
8. Explain the story of Mameha's kimono in chapter 6.
9. How does Chiyo rationalize the visit with Mrs. Fidget, considering her hopes that Mr. Tanaka will adopt her and Satsu?
10. Explain the deal that Mother and Mameha enter into regarding Chiyo at the end of chapter 11.
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)