|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Hatsumiyo?
(b) Mameha's older sister.
(c) Hatsumomo's biological sister.
(d) Mother's biological daughter.
2. What remark does the Chairman make about Sayuri's kimono?
(a) He doesn't care much for the color.
(b) He remembers seeing it on Mameha.
(c) He thinks it suits Sayuri's skin tone perfectly.
(d) It reminds him of a sunset.
3. In which city was Nobu injured?
(a) In Peking.
(b) In Seoul.
(c) In Kyoto.
(d) In Tokyo.
4. What does Kuniko say Taro is afraid of?
5. Why does Hatsumomo say Sayuri should say "Ah...ah..." at the beginning of chapter 15?
(a) Because she wants Sayuri to show off her tongue.
(b) Because she wants to make fun of the sound of Sayuri's voice.
(c) Because her own voice isn't high enough.
(d) Because she likes the sound of Sayuri's voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chiyo do at the end of chapter 13 that convinces Mameha that she is ready for her debut?
2. How does Mameha tell Sayuri to act when she meets the Doctor?
3. What does Chiyo break by falling off the roof?
4. Who does Sayuri first believe she sees with Nobu?
5. What does Hatsumomo's boyfriend do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sayuri's first encounter with Pumpkin after her return to Gion following the end of the war.
2. What reason does Pumpkin give for having betrayed Sayuri?
3. What is the apprentice's award?
4. What does Mameha tell Chiyo at the beginning of chapter 12 to do in regards to Hatsumomo?
5. What is the purpose of Nobu's visit to Sayuri at the Arashino estate?
6. What does Chiyo, as narrator, say about the art of arranging flowers in chapter 12?
7. What does Sayuri realize in thinking about Satsu while living with the Arashinos?
8. Why doesn't Sayuri stop the Baron from undressing her at the end of chapter 22?
9. Explain what Mameha spends her time doing with Chiyo in chapter 13 and why.
10. What does Mameha tell Dr. Crab to make him doubt what Hatsumomo has told him?
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)