|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chiyo hide under the house's foundation that she finds again in chapter 9?
(a) A moth.
(b) A hairpin.
(c) A tree branch.
(d) A coin.
2. In which city was Nobu injured?
(a) In Tokyo.
(b) In Seoul.
(c) In Peking.
(d) In Kyoto.
3. At which teahouse does Chiyo's ceremony with Mameha take place?
(a) At the Kanzaki Teahouse.
(b) At the Kaiseki Teahouse.
(c) At the Ichikawa Teahouse.
(d) At the Ichiriki Teahouse.
4. Who comes to get Chiyo and Satsu at the beginning of chapter 3?
(a) Mr. Tanaka.
(b) Mrs. Fidget.
(c) Their father.
(d) Mr. Tanaka's assistant.
5. What color is the fabric used to create an apprentice geisha's hairstyle?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Mother first offer Mameha on top of her usual fee for her services of being an older sister if Chiyo pays off her debts by twenty?
2. Why does Mameha say Mother wants Chiyo to fail?
3. Why does Hatsumomo say Mameha is trying to drive her out of Gion?
4. Who does Auntie say will end up in a jorou-ya if she ever gets what she deserves?
5. Where does Chiyo go after eating her shaved ice in chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chiyo infer that Mameha is planning to do in regards to Hatsumomo, based on the conversation they have at Mameha's apartment in chapter 10?
2. Explain how Sayuri gets her new name.
3. What does Mameha tell Chiyo at the beginning of chapter 12 to do in regards to Hatsumomo?
4. What is Chiyo's first impression of Hatsumomo?
5. Explain what Sayuri says in chapter 15 at the time of her debut about how she is beginning to feel about Hatsumomo's beauty.
6. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to do when talking with Nobu, and why?
7. Explain the deal that Mother and Mameha enter into regarding Chiyo at the end of chapter 11.
8. What happens to change Dr. Crab's impression of Sayuri in chapter 19?
9. Explain what Mameha spends her time doing with Chiyo in chapter 13 and why.
10. Why does Pumpkin decline to run away from the okiya with Chiyo?
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)