|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Chiyo asked to deliver to Hatsumomo in chapter 7?
(a) Her obi.
(b) Her brooch.
(c) Her shamisen.
(d) Her tortoiseshell hairpin.
2. Whose graves does Chiyo see in the graveyard?
(a) Her neighbors' graves.
(b) Her grandparents' graves.
(c) Her father's first family's graves.
(d) Her siblings' graves.
3. What does Sayuri compare herself to in explaining to Pumpkin the desperate situation she's in?
(a) A zucchini.
(b) A cockroach.
(c) A maid.
(d) An ant.
4. In which city was Nobu injured?
(a) In Seoul.
(b) In Tokyo.
(c) In Kyoto.
(d) In Peking.
5. What does Sayuri say she felt happened to Chiyo?
(a) Mameha had destroyed her.
(b) Sayuri had destroyed her.
(c) Gion had destroyed her.
(d) Hatsumomo had destroyed her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are ohana?
2. What is the pillow a geisha uses to protect her hairstyle filled with?
3. Which element does Chiyo's father have too much of in his personality?
4. What are "zori"?
5. What does Chiyo break by falling off the roof?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chiyo infer that Mameha is planning to do in regards to Hatsumomo, based on the conversation they have at Mameha's apartment in chapter 10?
2. What does Mameha tell Dr. Crab to make him doubt what Hatsumomo has told him?
3. What does Pumpkin reveal that Hatsumomo has said to Dr. Crab to ruin Sayuri's chances with him?
4. How does Hatsumomo destroy Sayuri's debut in chapter 15?
5. How does her meeting with the Chairman affect Chiyo?
6. Explain the deal that Mother and Mameha enter into regarding Chiyo at the end of chapter 11.
7. What caused Nobu's injuries?
8. How does Chiyo feel about Mr. Tanaka when she first meets him?
9. Explain how Satsu seems to be doing when Chiyo sees her in chapter 7.
10. Why does Pumpkin decline to run away from the okiya with Chiyo?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)