|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sayuri say she felt happened to Chiyo?
(a) Gion had destroyed her.
(b) Hatsumomo had destroyed her.
(c) Mameha had destroyed her.
(d) Sayuri had destroyed her.
2. Around which year does the narrator say Chiyo arrives in Kyoto?
3. What did Awajiumi do for a living before he began working at the Gion Registry Office?
(a) He was a sumo wrestler.
(b) He was a farmer.
(c) He was a geisha dresser.
(d) He was a fish merchant.
4. Which teahouse does Mameha entertain Dr. Crab at the end of chapter 20?
(a) At the Mizuki.
(b) At the Shirae.
(c) At the Yashino.
(d) At the Ichiriki.
5. What does the Baron make Mameha remove from its place in her apartment?
(a) A rare ceramic vase.
(b) Her dressing mirror.
(c) A painting of a landscape.
(d) A poem by Matsudaira Koichi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the pillow a geisha uses to protect her hairstyle filled with?
2. What does Nobu say are the three most important things in life?
3. What does Hatsumomo make sure Pumpkin and Chiyo never do again?
4. Who is waiting at Mameha's apartment for Sayuri when she arrives at the end of chapter 15?
5. How much does Mother first offer Mameha on top of her usual fee for her services of being an older sister if Chiyo pays off her debts by twenty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the apprentice's award?
2. What is Chiyo's first impression of Hatsumomo?
3. Explain the deal that Mother and Mameha enter into regarding Chiyo at the end of chapter 11.
4. How does Mameha get Dr. Crab to take notice of Sayuri?
5. Explain how Sayuri gets her new name.
6. What does Mameha tell Dr. Crab to make him doubt what Hatsumomo has told him?
7. What does Chiyo, as narrator, say about the art of arranging flowers in chapter 12?
8. Write a brief description of Chiyo's relationship with Auntie as shown in chapters 5 and 6.
9. What does Pumpkin reveal that Hatsumomo has said to Dr. Crab to ruin Sayuri's chances with him?
10. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to do when talking with Nobu, and why?
This section contains 1,308 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)