|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nobu say are the three most important things in life?
(a) Sumo, business, and loyalty.
(b) Sumo, business, and war.
(c) Love, sumo, and business.
(d) War, business, and love.
2. How does Mameha tell Sayuri to act when she meets the Doctor?
3. After she learns that Mother will be adopting Pumpkin, how much time does Mameha say she and Sayuri have to ensure Sayuri's success?
(a) A few days.
(b) A few weeks.
(c) A year.
(d) A few months.
4. What is the cause of Granny's death?
(a) A fire.
(b) A bad fall.
(c) A space heater.
(d) A bee sting.
5. What does Chiyo think she's seen in the maids' room when she returns to the okiya in chapter 7?
(a) A cat.
(c) A rat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Tanaka write has happened to Satsu?
2. What is mizuage?
3. What does Mameha say generous people don't do?
4. What does Pumpkin say she'd rather drink when Hatsumomo insists she drink a beer with her at the beginning of chapter 20?
5. What is hataki komi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mameha refuse to tell Sayuri about her plan?
2. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
3. Describe the momoware and its meaning.
4. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to do when talking with Nobu, and why?
5. How does Hatsumomo destroy Sayuri's debut in chapter 15?
6. Explain the story of Mameha's kimono in chapter 6.
7. How does Mameha get Dr. Crab to take notice of Sayuri?
8. How does Chiyo feel about Mr. Tanaka when she first meets him?
9. What does Mameha tell Dr. Crab to make him doubt what Hatsumomo has told him?
10. Write a brief description of Chiyo's relationship with Auntie as shown in chapters 5 and 6.
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)