|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chiyo do at the end of chapter 13 that convinces Mameha that she is ready for her debut?
(a) She catches the attention of every geisha she passes.
(b) She makes a prominent man stop on the street to look at her.
(c) She makes a delivery boy drop his tray just by looking at him.
(d) She performs the tea ceremony perfectly all by herself.
2. How does Mameha tell Sayuri to act when she meets the Doctor?
3. Why does Mameha say Mother wants Chiyo to fail?
(a) Because Mother will owe Mameha a lot of money if she does.
(b) Because Mother is partial to Hatsumomo.
(c) Because Mother has always been mean-spirited.
(d) Because Mother has never liked Chiyo.
4. What is mizuage?
(a) A geisha's virginity.
(b) A geisha's sexuality.
(c) A cave.
(d) An eel.
5. What does Chiyo break by falling off the roof?
(a) Her back.
(b) Her leg.
(c) Her arm.
(d) Her neck.
Short Answer Questions
1. In talking with Mother, what excuse does Chiyo make up for her presence in the entrance hall during Mameha's visit?
2. Who is waiting at Mameha's apartment for Sayuri when she arrives at the end of chapter 15?
3. What did Awajiumi do for a living before he began working at the Gion Registry Office?
4. Around which year does the narrator say Chiyo arrives in Kyoto?
5. What does Sayuri do when Hatsumomo arrives at the Ichiriki and finds her entertaining the Chairman alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Sayuri feels about the act of seducing the Minister.
2. What does Sayuri say in chapter 25 about geisha's talents for making conversation?
3. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
4. How does Sayuri come to the impression that the Chairman is in love with Pumpkin?
5. What is Chiyo's first impression of Hatsumomo?
6. What does Mameha tell Chiyo at the beginning of chapter 12 to do in regards to Hatsumomo?
7. What does Chiyo, as narrator, say about the art of arranging flowers in chapter 12?
8. Describe Sayuri's first encounter with Pumpkin after her return to Gion following the end of the war.
9. Why doesn't Sayuri stop the Baron from undressing her at the end of chapter 22?
10. What does the Minister do that so angers Nobu at the end of chapter 32?
This section contains 1,451 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)