|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 12 what does the narrator say she did NOT study?
(a) The art of Bunraku puppet theater.
(b) The art of calligraphy.
(c) The art of woodblock printing.
(d) The art of flower arranging.
2. What are tsutsumi, okawa, and taiko?
(a) Kinds of drums.
(b) Kinds of dances.
(c) Kinds of songs.
(d) Kinds of stringed instruments.
3. What does the Baron make Mameha remove from its place in her apartment?
(a) Her dressing mirror.
(b) A painting of a landscape.
(c) A poem by Matsudaira Koichi.
(d) A rare ceramic vase.
4. What does Dr. Crab accuse Mameha and Sayuri of doing?
(a) Leading him on.
(b) Taking advantage of him.
(c) Misleading him.
(d) Exploiting him.
5. What is a momoware?
(a) A hairpin.
(b) An apprentice geisha's hairstyle.
(c) A kind of kimono.
(d) A type of peach.
Short Answer Questions
1. After she learns that Mother will be adopting Pumpkin, how much time does Mameha say she and Sayuri have to ensure Sayuri's success?
2. What does Mr. Tanaka deliver to Chiyo for her mother at the beginning of chapter 2?
3. What does Uchida Kosaburo do for a living?
4. Why does Mameha say Hatsumomo is trying to make Pumpkin look good?
5. What is the cause of Granny's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mameha get Dr. Crab to take notice of Sayuri?
2. How does her meeting with the Chairman affect Chiyo?
3. How does Hatsumomo destroy Sayuri's debut in chapter 15?
4. Explain the story of Mameha's kimono in chapter 6.
5. What does Mameha tell Dr. Crab to make him doubt what Hatsumomo has told him?
6. How does Chiyo feel about Mr. Tanaka when she first meets him?
7. What does Mameha tell Chiyo at the beginning of chapter 12 to do in regards to Hatsumomo?
8. Briefly explain the Chairman's relationship with Nobu.
9. What does Pumpkin reveal that Hatsumomo has said to Dr. Crab to ruin Sayuri's chances with him?
10. How does Chiyo rationalize the visit with Mrs. Fidget, considering her hopes that Mr. Tanaka will adopt her and Satsu?
This section contains 1,324 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)