|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is hataki komi?
(a) A sumo move.
(b) The title of the best sumo wrestler.
(c) A type of sake.
(d) The sumo winner's prize.
2. Who announces Mameha's visit to Mother at the beginning of chapter 11?
3. What does Mameha say generous people don't do?
(a) Become geisha.
(b) Become okiya owners.
(c) Become patrons of geisha.
(d) Become teahouse owners.
4. Sayuri compares Hatsumomo's beauty to that of an object someone had shown her some years after the story took place. What was the object?
(a) A pistol.
(b) A whip.
(c) A spur.
(d) A sword.
5. What does Uchida Kosaburo do for a living?
(a) He's a choreographer.
(b) He's a poet.
(c) He's an artist.
(d) He's a calligrapher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hatsumomo make sure Pumpkin and Chiyo never do again?
2. What are tsutsumi, okawa, and taiko?
3. What are "zori"?
4. What does Dr. Crab accuse Mameha and Sayuri of doing?
5. What's wrong with the kimono Mameha wants Sayuri to put on near the beginning of chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Satsu seems to be doing when Chiyo sees her in chapter 7.
2. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
3. What caused Nobu's injuries?
4. Explain the deal that Mother and Mameha enter into regarding Chiyo at the end of chapter 11.
5. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
6. What is the apprentice's award?
7. What does Chiyo, as narrator, say about the art of arranging flowers in chapter 12?
8. What does Pumpkin reveal that Hatsumomo has said to Dr. Crab to ruin Sayuri's chances with him?
9. Why does Pumpkin decline to run away from the okiya with Chiyo?
10. Write a brief description of Chiyo's relationship with Auntie as shown in chapters 5 and 6.
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)