|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are "zori"?
2. What are ekubo?
(a) Incense sticks.
(c) Crab cakes.
(d) Sweet rice cakes.
3. How does Mameha say Sayuri can make a good impression on Nobu?
(a) By being especially nice to him.
(b) By being especially nice to the founder of Iwamura Electric.
(c) By continually pouring sake for him.
(d) By behaving well when she meets him despite his looks.
4. What is hataki komi?
(a) A type of sake.
(b) The title of the best sumo wrestler.
(c) The sumo winner's prize.
(d) A sumo move.
5. What is the pillow a geisha uses to protect her hairstyle filled with?
(a) Barley hulls.
(d) Wheat chaff.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the ceremony performed that ties Pumpkin and Hatsumomo together as sisters?
2. What does Sayuri do when Hatsumomo arrives at the Ichiriki and finds her entertaining the Chairman alone?
3. What excuse does Mameha make up for her visit?
4. Who does Sayuri first believe she sees with Nobu?
5. What did Awajiumi do for a living before he began working at the Gion Registry Office?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sayuri come to the impression that the Chairman is in love with Pumpkin?
2. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
3. Explain how Satsu seems to be doing when Chiyo sees her in chapter 7.
4. What does Sayuri spend her time doing during her first week back in Gion after her years with the Arashinos?
5. Briefly explain the Chairman's relationship with Nobu.
6. What is the apprentice's award?
7. What caused Nobu's injuries?
8. How does the rumor get started that Hatsumomo has been declared mentally unstable?
9. What is Mother's reaction to her conversation with Mameha in chapter 11?
10. What does Sayuri say happened to Korin and why does she mention the story in chapter 28?
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)