|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are ohana?
(a) Offerings to the Teahouse mistress.
(b) Incense sticks.
(c) Offerings to the geisha.
(d) A geisha's nightly fee.
2. Why does Pumpkin have so much trouble in music class?
(a) She doesn't have much of an ear.
(b) She can't sing.
(c) She has a hard time paying attention.
(d) She can't read music.
3. What does Chiyo do at the end of chapter 13 that convinces Mameha that she is ready for her debut?
(a) She performs the tea ceremony perfectly all by herself.
(b) She makes a delivery boy drop his tray just by looking at him.
(c) She makes a prominent man stop on the street to look at her.
(d) She catches the attention of every geisha she passes.
4. What happened the same month that Sayuri first met the Chairman?
(a) The Chairman got married.
(b) Iwamura Electric recruited Nobu.
(c) Nobu was injured in a bombing.
(d) Iwamura Electric celebrated its twentieth anniversary.
5. What is hataki komi?
(a) A type of sake.
(b) The sumo winner's prize.
(c) The title of the best sumo wrestler.
(d) A sumo move.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a momoware?
2. Who does Chiyo believe she hears saying her name in their sleep in chapter 8?
3. Why does Hatsumomo say Sayuri should say "Ah...ah..." at the beginning of chapter 15?
4. What does Sayuri do when Hatsumomo arrives at the Ichiriki and finds her entertaining the Chairman alone?
5. Who did Mameha's older sister have an affair with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Mameha spends her time doing with Chiyo in chapter 13 and why.
2. Explain the mixed feelings Pumpkin seems to have on the event of her debut as an apprentice.
3. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
4. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
5. How does Hatsumomo destroy Sayuri's debut in chapter 15?
6. How does Mameha get Dr. Crab to take notice of Sayuri?
7. What does Chiyo infer that Mameha is planning to do in regards to Hatsumomo, based on the conversation they have at Mameha's apartment in chapter 10?
8. What is the apprentice's award?
9. What does Mameha tell Dr. Crab to make him doubt what Hatsumomo has told him?
10. Explain how Sayuri gets her new name.
This section contains 1,402 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)