|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mameha say Mother won't adopt Hatsumomo?
(a) Hatsumomo would steal Mother's fortune.
(b) Mother and Hatsumomo don't get along.
(c) Hatsumomo would probably find a way to do away with Mother.
(d) Mother couldn't bear to transfer her power to Hatsumomo.
2. What are tsutsumi, okawa, and taiko?
(a) Kinds of drums.
(b) Kinds of songs.
(c) Kinds of stringed instruments.
(d) Kinds of dances.
3. In talking with Mother, what excuse does Chiyo make up for her presence in the entrance hall during Mameha's visit?
(a) She says she was trying to bring tea to Auntie.
(b) She says she was trying to fold Hatsumomo's obi.
(c) She says she was trying to buff a scratch out of the floorboards.
(d) She says she was trying to remove the dust from the altar.
4. In chapter 16, what does Mameha claim Hatsumomo's behavior proves?
(a) That she is sincere.
(b) That she is cold-blooded.
(c) That she is desperate.
(d) That she is evil.
5. Which element does Chiyo's mother have too much of in her personality?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chiyo break by falling off the roof?
2. What does Mother tell Chiyo that Granny spends her whole day doing?
3. Why does Hatsumomo say Sayuri should say "Ah...ah..." at the beginning of chapter 15?
4. Who is waiting at Mameha's apartment for Sayuri when she arrives at the end of chapter 15?
5. What are ohana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Pumpkin give for having betrayed Sayuri?
2. How does the rumor get started that Hatsumomo has been declared mentally unstable?
3. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
4. Write a brief description of Chiyo's relationship with Auntie as shown in chapters 5 and 6.
5. Explain how Sayuri finds herself in a difficult situation when Mameha comes to the okiya to collect on her bet with Mother.
6. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
7. What is the purpose of Nobu's visit to Sayuri at the Arashino estate?
8. Why does Pumpkin decline to run away from the okiya with Chiyo?
9. What stories does Sayuri tell when it's her turn to play "Big Liar"?
10. What is Sayuri's impression of Pumpkin when she arrives at the Ichiriki to help entertain the Minister?
This section contains 1,488 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)