|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Auntie say will end up in a jorou-ya if she ever gets what she deserves?
2. What does Chiyo think she's seen in the maids' room when she returns to the okiya in chapter 7?
(a) A rat.
(d) A cat.
3. What does Mr. Tanaka deliver to Chiyo for her mother at the beginning of chapter 2?
(a) Chinese herbs.
4. What gift does Nobu present to Sayuri?
(a) A silk obi.
(b) A decorative sake cup.
(c) A hair ornament.
(d) A pair of chopsticks.
5. What does Chiyo compare life to at the beginning of chapter 9 to make her point about change?
(a) A river.
(b) The ocean.
(c) A cherry blossom.
(d) A mountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is mizuage?
2. Why does Mameha say Mother won't adopt Hatsumomo?
3. How does Pumpkin react to Mameha's visit?
4. What does Mameha say generous people don't do?
5. How does Hatsumomo paint her lips?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does her meeting with the Chairman affect Chiyo?
2. Explain how Satsu seems to be doing when Chiyo sees her in chapter 7.
3. What is Mother's reaction to her conversation with Mameha in chapter 11?
4. Briefly explain the Chairman's relationship with Nobu.
5. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
6. What is Chiyo's first impression of Hatsumomo?
7. Write a brief description of Chiyo's relationship with Auntie as shown in chapters 5 and 6.
8. Explain what Mameha spends her time doing with Chiyo in chapter 13 and why.
9. Explain the story of Mameha's kimono in chapter 6.
10. Explain what Sayuri says in chapter 15 at the time of her debut about how she is beginning to feel about Hatsumomo's beauty.
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)