|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sayuri say the young actor she met at the party died a few years after they met?
(a) He killed himself with a sword.
(b) He fell off a bridge in Gion.
(c) He was killed by a waitress.
(d) He died of drug overdose.
2. What does the cook have in her hand when Mameha and Sayuri arrive at Mameha's former okiya?
(a) A plate.
(b) A fish.
(c) A knife.
(d) A kettle.
3. What does Mameha tell her maid to do with Chiyo when she sees her the first time after a long absence?
(a) Fix her hair.
(b) Give her some proper shoes.
(c) Put her in a kimono.
(d) Give her a bath.
4. Around which year does the narrator say Chiyo arrives in Kyoto?
5. Which element does Chiyo's mother have too much of in her personality?
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 16, what does Mameha tell Sayuri that Pumpkin has won?
2. What does Dr. Crab accuse Mameha and Sayuri of doing?
3. Sayuri compares Hatsumomo's beauty to that of an object someone had shown her some years after the story took place. What was the object?
4. What does Pumpkin leave the okiya to get for Hatsumomo in chapter 20?
5. How much does Mother first offer Mameha on top of her usual fee for her services of being an older sister if Chiyo pays off her debts by twenty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Write a brief description of Chiyo's relationship with Auntie as shown in chapters 5 and 6.
2. What does Pumpkin reveal that Hatsumomo has said to Dr. Crab to ruin Sayuri's chances with him?
3. What is Chiyo's first impression of Hatsumomo?
4. What does Mameha tell Dr. Crab to make him doubt what Hatsumomo has told him?
5. What does Chiyo, as narrator, say about the art of arranging flowers in chapter 12?
6. How does Chiyo feel about Mr. Tanaka when she first meets him?
7. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
8. Explain the deal that Mother and Mameha enter into regarding Chiyo at the end of chapter 11.
9. Why does Pumpkin decline to run away from the okiya with Chiyo?
10. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)