|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sayuri compares Hatsumomo's beauty to that of an object someone had shown her some years after the story took place. What was the object?
(a) A whip.
(b) A spur.
(c) A sword.
(d) A pistol.
2. What does Hatsumomo say her paulownia wood is for?
(a) For holding up her hair.
(b) For drawing her eyebrows.
(c) For decorating her Noh mask.
(d) For tying her obi.
3. How does Hatsumomo manage to show up at every party Mameha and Sayuri are at?
(a) She has bribed the maids in every teahouse to tell her when the two arrive.
(b) She has bribed Pumpkin to find out about Sayuri's nightly engagements.
(c) She has bribed Mameha's maid to inform her of Mameha's schedule.
(d) She has bribed Auntie to inform her of Sayuri's schedule.
4. Where does Chiyo go after eating her shaved ice in chapter 9?
(a) To the school.
(b) To the stone wall.
(c) To the okiya.
(d) To the Gion shrine.
5. Why does Hatsumomo say Sayuri should say "Ah...ah..." at the beginning of chapter 15?
(a) Because she likes the sound of Sayuri's voice.
(b) Because she wants Sayuri to show off her tongue.
(c) Because her own voice isn't high enough.
(d) Because she wants to make fun of the sound of Sayuri's voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Mother first offer Mameha on top of her usual fee for her services of being an older sister if Chiyo pays off her debts by twenty?
2. Who does Chiyo believe she hears saying her name in their sleep in chapter 8?
3. Who is waiting at Mameha's apartment for Sayuri when she arrives at the end of chapter 15?
4. After she learns that Mother will be adopting Pumpkin, how much time does Mameha say she and Sayuri have to ensure Sayuri's success?
5. At which teahouse does Chiyo's ceremony with Mameha take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Mameha spends her time doing with Chiyo in chapter 13 and why.
2. How does Chiyo rationalize the visit with Mrs. Fidget, considering her hopes that Mr. Tanaka will adopt her and Satsu?
3. Explain the deal that Mother and Mameha enter into regarding Chiyo at the end of chapter 11.
4. Why does Mameha refuse to tell Sayuri about her plan?
5. Explain the story of Mameha's kimono in chapter 6.
6. How does Chiyo feel about Mr. Tanaka when she first meets him?
7. Briefly explain the Chairman's relationship with Nobu.
8. What does Chiyo infer that Mameha is planning to do in regards to Hatsumomo, based on the conversation they have at Mameha's apartment in chapter 10?
9. How does her meeting with the Chairman affect Chiyo?
10. What is "mizuage" and what does it have to do with Mameha's plan to help Sayuri succeed?
This section contains 1,447 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)