|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Awajiumi do for a living before he began working at the Gion Registry Office?
(a) He was a sumo wrestler.
(b) He was a fish merchant.
(c) He was a farmer.
(d) He was a geisha dresser.
2. What word does Nobu use to characterize geisha naming traditions?
3. What is the pillow a geisha uses to protect her hairstyle filled with?
(c) Wheat chaff.
(d) Barley hulls.
4. At which teahouse does Chiyo's ceremony with Mameha take place?
(a) At the Kanzaki Teahouse.
(b) At the Ichikawa Teahouse.
(c) At the Kaiseki Teahouse.
(d) At the Ichiriki Teahouse.
5. Why does Pumpkin have so much trouble in music class?
(a) She has a hard time paying attention.
(b) She can't sing.
(c) She can't read music.
(d) She doesn't have much of an ear.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pumpkin react to Mameha's visit?
2. What did Chiyo hide under the house's foundation that she finds again in chapter 9?
3. Who repeatedly invites Sayuri to the Ichiriki Teahouse to entertain in chapter 19?
4. What does Chiyo keep doing when she bows on the street with Mameha that causes Mameha to pull her into an alley and show her the proper way of bowing?
5. Why does Hatsumomo say Sayuri should say "Ah...ah..." at the beginning of chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chiyo rationalize the visit with Mrs. Fidget, considering her hopes that Mr. Tanaka will adopt her and Satsu?
2. What does Chiyo, as narrator, say about the art of arranging flowers in chapter 12?
3. How does Chiyo feel about Mr. Tanaka when she first meets him?
4. Why does Mameha refuse to tell Sayuri about her plan?
5. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
6. Explain the story of Mameha's kimono in chapter 6.
7. Describe the momoware and its meaning.
8. Explain the deal that Mother and Mameha enter into regarding Chiyo at the end of chapter 11.
9. Explain what Mameha spends her time doing with Chiyo in chapter 13 and why.
10. Explain what Sayuri says in chapter 15 at the time of her debut about how she is beginning to feel about Hatsumomo's beauty.
This section contains 1,369 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)