|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uchida Kosaburo do for a living?
(a) He's a choreographer.
(b) He's a poet.
(c) He's an artist.
(d) He's a calligrapher.
2. How does Pumpkin react to Mameha's visit?
(a) She feels sorry for Chiyo because she thinks Chiyo is in trouble.
(b) She is angry because she knows Mameha is Hatsumomo's rival.
(c) She is the only one in the okiya not interested in Mameha's visit.
(d) She is eager to meet Mameha.
3. What does Chiyo do at the end of chapter 13 that convinces Mameha that she is ready for her debut?
(a) She catches the attention of every geisha she passes.
(b) She makes a prominent man stop on the street to look at her.
(c) She makes a delivery boy drop his tray just by looking at him.
(d) She performs the tea ceremony perfectly all by herself.
4. In which city was Nobu injured?
(a) In Peking.
(b) In Tokyo.
(c) In Seoul.
(d) In Kyoto.
5. What did Chiyo hide under the house's foundation that she finds again in chapter 9?
(a) A tree branch.
(b) A hairpin.
(c) A coin.
(d) A moth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hatsumomo make sure Pumpkin and Chiyo never do again?
2. Where does Chiyo go after eating her shaved ice in chapter 9?
3. What is a momoware?
4. What is hataki komi?
5. In chapter 16, what does Mameha tell Sayuri that Pumpkin has won?
Short Essay Questions
1. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
2. Explain the story of Mameha's kimono in chapter 6.
3. Write a brief description of Chiyo's relationship with Auntie as shown in chapters 5 and 6.
4. Explain what Sayuri says in chapter 15 at the time of her debut about how she is beginning to feel about Hatsumomo's beauty.
5. What is Chiyo's first impression of Hatsumomo?
6. Explain what Mameha spends her time doing with Chiyo in chapter 13 and why.
7. What does Mameha tell Dr. Crab to make him doubt what Hatsumomo has told him?
8. How does Chiyo rationalize the visit with Mrs. Fidget, considering her hopes that Mr. Tanaka will adopt her and Satsu?
9. How does Chiyo feel about Mr. Tanaka when she first meets him?
10. Explain the deal that Mother and Mameha enter into regarding Chiyo at the end of chapter 11.
This section contains 1,370 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)