|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which element does Chiyo's mother have too much of in her personality?
2. Why does Mameha say Mother wants Chiyo to fail?
(a) Because Mother has never liked Chiyo.
(b) Because Mother has always been mean-spirited.
(c) Because Mother will owe Mameha a lot of money if she does.
(d) Because Mother is partial to Hatsumomo.
3. How does Mameha tell Sayuri to act when she meets the Doctor?
4. How does Sayuri say the young actor she met at the party died a few years after they met?
(a) He fell off a bridge in Gion.
(b) He killed himself with a sword.
(c) He was killed by a waitress.
(d) He died of drug overdose.
5. Which teahouse does Mameha entertain Dr. Crab at the end of chapter 20?
(a) At the Mizuki.
(b) At the Shirae.
(c) At the Yashino.
(d) At the Ichiriki.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the pillow a geisha uses to protect her hairstyle filled with?
2. Why is Sayuri worried that Mameha wants Nobu to become her danna?
3. What is hataki komi?
4. What happens to a geisha who marries?
5. Who did Mameha's older sister have an affair with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Write a brief description of Chiyo's relationship with Auntie as shown in chapters 5 and 6.
2. What consequences do Chiyo's failed attempt to escape bear?
3. How does Hatsumomo destroy Sayuri's debut in chapter 15?
4. Why does Pumpkin decline to run away from the okiya with Chiyo?
5. How does her meeting with the Chairman affect Chiyo?
6. How does Chiyo feel about Mr. Tanaka when she first meets him?
7. What caused Nobu's injuries?
8. What is Mother's reaction to her conversation with Mameha in chapter 11?
9. How does Mameha get Dr. Crab to take notice of Sayuri?
10. What does Mameha tell Chiyo at the beginning of chapter 12 to do in regards to Hatsumomo?
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)