|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mameha tell Sayuri to act when she meets the Doctor?
2. Who does Auntie say will end up in a jorou-ya if she ever gets what she deserves?
3. What does Nobu say are the three most important things in life?
(a) War, business, and love.
(b) Sumo, business, and loyalty.
(c) Sumo, business, and war.
(d) Love, sumo, and business.
4. Who comes to get Chiyo and Satsu at the beginning of chapter 3?
(a) Mr. Tanaka's assistant.
(b) Their father.
(c) Mrs. Fidget.
(d) Mr. Tanaka.
5. What did Awajiumi do for a living before he began working at the Gion Registry Office?
(a) He was a farmer.
(b) He was a fish merchant.
(c) He was a geisha dresser.
(d) He was a sumo wrestler.
Short Answer Questions
1. Around which year does the narrator say Chiyo arrives in Kyoto?
2. Who did Mameha's older sister have an affair with?
3. Which element does Chiyo's mother have too much of in her personality?
4. What does Uchida Kosaburo do for a living?
5. What does Pumpkin say she'd rather drink when Hatsumomo insists she drink a beer with her at the beginning of chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Chiyo's first impression of Hatsumomo?
2. What is Mother's reaction to her conversation with Mameha in chapter 11?
3. Explain what Sayuri says in chapter 15 at the time of her debut about how she is beginning to feel about Hatsumomo's beauty.
4. What does Mameha tell Dr. Crab to make him doubt what Hatsumomo has told him?
5. How does Chiyo feel about Mr. Tanaka when she first meets him?
6. How does Mameha get Dr. Crab to take notice of Sayuri?
7. Explain how Satsu seems to be doing when Chiyo sees her in chapter 7.
8. What happens to change Dr. Crab's impression of Sayuri in chapter 19?
9. How does Chiyo rationalize the visit with Mrs. Fidget, considering her hopes that Mr. Tanaka will adopt her and Satsu?
10. How does her meeting with the Chairman affect Chiyo?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)