|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 12 what does the narrator say she did NOT study?
(a) The art of calligraphy.
(b) The art of flower arranging.
(c) The art of Bunraku puppet theater.
(d) The art of woodblock printing.
2. What is the cause of Granny's death?
(a) A bee sting.
(b) A space heater.
(c) A fire.
(d) A bad fall.
3. Why does Chiyo say Hatsumomo is "like an empress" in the okiya?
(a) She earns the income for the whole house.
(b) She is the most beautiful woman in the house.
(c) She is a tyrant.
(d) She has the most power.
4. What does Sayuri say she felt happened to Chiyo?
(a) Mameha had destroyed her.
(b) Gion had destroyed her.
(c) Hatsumomo had destroyed her.
(d) Sayuri had destroyed her.
5. What word does Nobu use to characterize geisha naming traditions?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sayuri do when Hatsumomo arrives at the Ichiriki and finds her entertaining the Chairman alone?
2. What does Chiyo break by falling off the roof?
3. What does Pumpkin say she'd rather drink when Hatsumomo insists she drink a beer with her at the beginning of chapter 20?
4. What color do Mameha and her maid agree that Chiyo's eyes are on their visit to pay their respects to Granny?
5. What does Mr. Tanaka deliver to Chiyo for her mother at the beginning of chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sayuri experience her mizuage?
2. Explain what Sayuri says in chapter 15 at the time of her debut about how she is beginning to feel about Hatsumomo's beauty.
3. Explain the disagreement Hatsumomo and Sayuri have about the brooch in chapter 27.
4. Explain what Mameha spends her time doing with Chiyo in chapter 13 and why.
5. Explain how Sayuri gets her new name.
6. Why doesn't Nobu like the Baron?
7. Explain why Sayuri needs to leave Gion after the Chairman becomes her danna and what arrangements are made for her to do so.
8. Briefly explain the Chairman's relationship with Nobu.
9. What does Sayuri say in chapter 25 about geisha's talents for making conversation?
10. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to do when talking with Nobu, and why?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)