|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who doesn't seem to be paying attention when Sayuri begins her story about stopping to cry by the Shirakawa Stream?
(a) The Chairman.
(d) The Minister.
2. What emotion does Sayuri say she felt along with worry, fear, and disgust while she was carrying out her plan with the Minister?
3. What is the exchange system by which everyday things are bought and sold in Gion called in the novel?
(a) The red market.
(b) The gray market.
(c) The housewives' market.
(d) The black market.
4. What is wrong with the vial belonging to Dr. Crab with Sayuri's name on it?
(a) "Ri" is spelled using the wrong character.
(b) "Sa" is spelled using the wrong character.
(c) "Sayu" is spelled using the wrong character.
(d) "Yu" is spelled using the wrong character.
5. What does Sayuri realize she is when the American soldiers roll through her village?
(a) Different from other women.
(d) A peasant.
6. What gift does the Baron present to Sayuri?
(a) An antique kimono.
(b) An antique hair ornament.
(c) An antique set of makeup brushes.
(d) An antique pair of shoes.
7. How does Mameha react to the news that Mother will be adopting Sayuri?
(a) She is surprisingly angry.
(b) She is pleased but reserved.
(c) She is afraid of what Hatsumomo will do now.
(d) She is thrilled.
8. How long does it take Auntie to respond to Sayuri's letter to Mother after Nobu's visit to the Arashino estate?
(a) A month.
(b) A week.
(c) Two days.
(d) Five days.
9. What does Arashino make?
(b) Hair ornaments.
(c) Rice cakes.
(d) Tea assortments.
10. What does Sayuri ask Auntie to do when she goes back to the okiya to get Nobu's piece of concrete?
(a) Call Pumpkin and ask her to come help.
(b) Call Mameha and ask for her advice.
(c) Call Nobu and tell him he can't be her danna.
(d) Call the Ichiriki and tell them she can't come back.
11. What does the Chairman present to the Baron as a gift?
(a) A gold pipe.
(b) A gold cane.
(c) A gold box.
(d) A gold sword.
12. Hatsumomo shows Mother and Sayuri her bowl and jokes that her food looks like Nobu's blistered skin. What is she eating?
(a) Dried peaches.
(b) A bowl of noodles.
(c) Mashed plums.
(d) Rice and red beans.
13. What does Pumpkin claim she knows Sayuri thinks she is?
14. What does Sayuri say women in New York think she is?
(a) A prostitute.
(b) A war hero.
(d) A simpleton.
15. Who designed the gardens at the Baron's estate?
(b) The Baron.
(c) The Baron's father.
(d) The Baron's grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic of conversation does Sayuri use at the beginning of chapter 25 to make an example of various geisha's talent for making conversation?
2. Which role does Mameha dance in "A Courtier Returns to His Wife"?
3. What does Sayuri jokingly tell the Minister that his piece of beef is?
4. How does the Baron plan to punish Mameha for embarrassing him?
5. Why does Mameha say she's arrived late the evening she and Pumpkin arrive to find the Chairman and Sayuri alone at the Ichiriki?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)