|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Nobu say he has known Sayuri?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) All his life.
(c) Ten years.
(d) All her life.
2. Who doesn't seem to be paying attention when Sayuri begins her story about stopping to cry by the Shirakawa Stream?
(b) The Chairman.
(c) The Minister.
3. Where is the Baron's party next week going to be?
(a) At the Ichiriki.
(b) In Hakone.
(c) In Gion.
(d) In Kyoto.
4. What do Sayuri and Nobu stop to look at on the way to the restroom in chapter 21?
(a) The cherry blossoms.
(b) The pond.
(d) The Baron's kimono collection.
5. How long does it take Auntie to respond to Sayuri's letter to Mother after Nobu's visit to the Arashino estate?
(a) A week.
(b) A month.
(c) Two days.
(d) Five days.
6. Where does the Baron seduce Sayuri?
(a) In his garden.
(b) In his bedroom.
(c) In his dressing room.
(d) In his entrance hall.
7. Which of the following geisha was Dr. Crab not mizuage patron to?
8. Where does Sayuri say she and the Chairman spend a few days before continuing on to New York?
(a) In France.
(b) On Fiji.
(c) On Hawaii.
(d) In Singapore.
9. What does Sayuri notice about the Chairman during the many weeks of entertaining the Minister?
(a) He hides his emotions so that no one can tell what he's feeling.
(b) He isn't as good of friends with Nobu as she thought.
(c) He doesn't look exactly the way she remembered him.
(d) He isn't as kind as she thought.
10. What has Sayuri written on the front page of her journal?
(b) "Nitta okiya".
(d) "I hate Hatsumomo".
11. Who is Tachibana?
(a) Sayuri's new dresser.
(b) The Chairman.
(c) A koto player.
(d) A Kabuki actor.
12. Why does Sayuri decide to go ahead with her plan about the Minister and Nobu?
(a) She can't stand to look at Nobu.
(b) She feels that it's time to get back at Nobu.
(c) She feels that Nobu is just trying to demonstrate his power.
(d) She feels that Nobu doesn't understand her.
13. Who does the Chairman say has left him alone at the Ichiriki?
(c) The maid.
(d) The mistress.
14. Why does Pumpkin say she brought the Chairman instead of Nobu to the theater?
(a) Sayuri had once taken something important from her when Mother adopted her.
(b) She had misunderstood Sayuri.
(c) Nobu had refused to go with her.
(d) She was getting back at Sayuri for calling her Pumpkin.
15. What is Sayuri's primary job at the Arashinos?
(c) Gathering roots.
(d) Dying fabrics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sayuri ask Auntie to do when she goes back to the okiya to get Nobu's piece of concrete?
2. How does Mameha react to the news that Mother will be adopting Sayuri?
3. How many geisha were invited to the Iwamura Electric party Sayuri had been disinvited to at the end of chapter 24?
4. What does Sayuri do during her costume change in chapter 23?
5. Whom does Sayuri say she's waiting for before she returns to Gion?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)