|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who doesn't seem to be paying attention when Sayuri begins her story about stopping to cry by the Shirakawa Stream?
(b) The Minister.
(d) The Chairman.
2. What is Sayuri's primary job at the Arashinos?
(a) Gathering roots.
(b) Dying fabrics.
3. What does the Chairman present to the Baron as a gift?
(a) A gold box.
(b) A gold sword.
(c) A gold pipe.
(d) A gold cane.
4. Who tells Sayuri that everything is fine after the Baron has misused her?
(c) The Chairman.
(d) Mr. Itchoda.
5. What does Pumpkin claim she knows Sayuri thinks she is?
6. Who does Mother insist Nobu's ruby was for?
7. What does Sayuri say women in New York think she is?
(a) A prostitute.
(c) A simpleton.
(d) A war hero.
8. What does the apprentice Sayuri meets before her performance tell her about Nobu?
(a) He has been very kind to her.
(b) He has fallen ill.
(c) He has decided to stay away from Gion.
(d) He constantly compares her to Sayuri.
9. What does Mameha do during the war?
(a) She works in a hospital.
(b) She becomes a kimono maker.
(c) She begins selling tea on the grey market.
(d) She continues to entertain in Gion.
10. Who or what does the Admiral say he seeks to defeat in chapter 27?
(a) His enemy's confidence.
(b) His enemy's honor.
(c) All enemies of Japan.
(d) All enemies of the Emperor.
11. How many years have passed since the Chairman told Sayuri about his feelings by the end of the narration?
12. What does Sayuri say about her life since the Chairman became her danna?
(a) Her life has become richer.
(b) Her life has become isolated.
(c) Her life has become monotonous.
(d) Her life has become pleasant.
13. Why does the Baron say he has invited Sayuri to the party?
(a) So that all the men would have a chance to look at her.
(b) To get even with Mameha.
(c) So that Sayuri would finally have a chance to see something other than Gion.
(d) So that all his friends could take pictures with her.
14. What do Sayuri and Nobu drink together after the Minister has left on the evening the Minister proposed himself as Sayuri's danna?
15. What is the Suruya?
(a) The stream that runs through Gion.
(b) The teahouse where Sayuri meets the General.
(c) The inn where Sayuri meets the General.
(d) The teahouse where Nobu prefers to spend his evenings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Pumpkin claim the fish spoke in her story at the Ichiriki?
2. What does Sayuri notice about the Chairman during the many weeks of entertaining the Minister?
3. Why doesn't Nobu invite Sayuri in to the teahouse at the end of chapter 26?
4. Who designed the gardens at the Baron's estate?
5. How much did Sayuri's mizuage finally sell for?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)