|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has it been since Sayuri saw Nobu when the geisha districts are about to be closed down?
(a) Eight years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Four years.
2. Who doesn't seem to be paying attention when Sayuri begins her story about stopping to cry by the Shirakawa Stream?
(b) The Chairman.
(d) The Minister.
3. Who does Pumpkin remind Sayuri of when Sayuri realizes what Pumpkin has done?
(c) A demon.
4. Why does Sayuri decide to go ahead with her plan about the Minister and Nobu?
(a) She can't stand to look at Nobu.
(b) She feels that it's time to get back at Nobu.
(c) She feels that Nobu doesn't understand her.
(d) She feels that Nobu is just trying to demonstrate his power.
5. What does Dr. Crab leave for Sayuri as a gift?
(a) Chinese herbs.
(b) Her vial.
(c) A gold box.
(d) A jewel.
6. Which of the geisha Sayuri knew dies in Tokyo during the war?
7. What gift does the Baron present to Sayuri?
(a) An antique pair of shoes.
(b) An antique set of makeup brushes.
(c) An antique kimono.
(d) An antique hair ornament.
8. Why does the Baron say he has invited Sayuri to the party?
(a) To get even with Mameha.
(b) So that Sayuri would finally have a chance to see something other than Gion.
(c) So that all his friends could take pictures with her.
(d) So that all the men would have a chance to look at her.
9. Which of the following geisha was Dr. Crab not mizuage patron to?
10. What does Sayuri tell the Chairman he should do during their brief encounter in chapter 26?
(a) He should invite her to entertain at a party.
(b) He should be nicer to the apprentice geisha.
(c) He should arrange for her to see Nobu.
(d) He should be careful not to drink so much.
11. Where does Mother tell Sayuri she'll be going for the weekend?
(a) To Okinawa.
(b) To Osaka.
(c) To Hokkaido.
(d) To Amami Island.
12. What is the theme for the season's "Dances of the Old Capital"?
(a) The Gleaming Light of the Morning Sun.
(b) The Morning Sun on the Waves.
(c) Colors of the Four Seasons in Kyoto.
(d) Famous Places from the Tale of the Heike.
13. What does Mameha compare Sayuri to at the end of the Baron's party, just before her mizuage?
(a) A meal on the table.
(b) A succulent piece of fish.
(c) A juicy little piece of fruit.
(d) A tantalizing steak.
14. Whom does Sayuri say she's waiting for before she returns to Gion?
(b) The General.
15. What does Pumpkin say the Minister looks like?
(a) A big horse.
(b) A big pig.
(c) A big elephant.
(d) A big fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tachibana?
2. Why doesn't Nobu invite Sayuri in to the teahouse at the end of chapter 26?
3. Why isn't Pumpkin present the evening that Sayuri's dance moves the Chairman to tears?
4. Why does Mother suggest that Sayuri and Hatsumomo change rooms?
5. What do Sayuri and Nobu drink together after the Minister has left on the evening the Minister proposed himself as Sayuri's danna?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)