|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chiyo hide under the house's foundation that she finds again in chapter 9?
(a) A moth.
(b) A coin.
(c) A tree branch.
(d) A hairpin.
2. At which teahouse does Chiyo's ceremony with Mameha take place?
(a) At the Kanzaki Teahouse.
(b) At the Kaiseki Teahouse.
(c) At the Ichiriki Teahouse.
(d) At the Ichikawa Teahouse.
3. Around which year does the narrator say Chiyo arrives in Kyoto?
4. What does Chiyo break by falling off the roof?
(a) Her arm.
(b) Her neck.
(c) Her leg.
(d) Her back.
5. Which teahouse does Mameha entertain Dr. Crab at the end of chapter 20?
(a) At the Ichiriki.
(b) At the Yashino.
(c) At the Mizuki.
(d) At the Shirae.
6. What problem does Sayuri have in trying to pour tea for the Chairman in chapter 17?
(a) She spills the tea on the Chairman.
(b) The teapot is empty.
(c) She was supposed to pour tea for Nobu first.
(d) The Chairman says he doesn't like tea.
7. What is the pillow a geisha uses to protect her hairstyle filled with?
(c) Barley hulls.
(d) Wheat chaff.
8. Who does Auntie say will end up in a jorou-ya if she ever gets what she deserves?
9. In which city was Nobu injured?
(a) In Peking.
(b) In Kyoto.
(c) In Tokyo.
(d) In Seoul.
10. Why does Chiyo say Hatsumomo is "like an empress" in the okiya?
(a) She has the most power.
(b) She is the most beautiful woman in the house.
(c) She earns the income for the whole house.
(d) She is a tyrant.
11. What are "zori"?
12. Who did Mameha's older sister have an affair with?
(a) Mameha's husband.
(b) The Emperor.
(c) The Prime Minister.
(d) A baron.
13. What excuse does Mameha make up for her visit?
(a) She says she wanted to see if the okiya was still having trouble with Chiyo.
(b) She says she was wondering about Chiyo's health.
(c) She says she forgot something the last time she visited.
(d) She says she came by to pay her respects to Mother after the loss of Granny.
14. What does Chiyo compare life to at the beginning of chapter 9 to make her point about change?
(a) A river.
(b) A mountain.
(c) A cherry blossom.
(d) The ocean.
15. Why does Mameha say Mother won't adopt Hatsumomo?
(a) Hatsumomo would steal Mother's fortune.
(b) Hatsumomo would probably find a way to do away with Mother.
(c) Mother and Hatsumomo don't get along.
(d) Mother couldn't bear to transfer her power to Hatsumomo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened the same month that Sayuri first met the Chairman?
2. What does Pumpkin say she'd rather drink when Hatsumomo insists she drink a beer with her at the beginning of chapter 20?
3. How does Hatsumomo paint her lips?
4. How does Pumpkin react to Mameha's visit?
5. What color is the fabric used to create an apprentice geisha's hairstyle?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)