|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Sayuri first believe she sees with Nobu?
(a) Mr. Tanaka.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Mr. Bekku.
2. Which teahouse does Mameha entertain Dr. Crab at the end of chapter 20?
(a) At the Ichiriki.
(b) At the Yashino.
(c) At the Mizuki.
(d) At the Shirae.
3. What does Sayuri do when Hatsumomo arrives at the Ichiriki and finds her entertaining the Chairman alone?
(a) She leaves immediately.
(b) She lets Hatsumomo do all the entertaining.
(c) She acts bored.
(d) She spends all her time talking about Nobu.
4. What does Hatsumomo say her paulownia wood is for?
(a) For decorating her Noh mask.
(b) For drawing her eyebrows.
(c) For tying her obi.
(d) For holding up her hair.
5. Why does Chiyo say Hatsumomo is "like an empress" in the okiya?
(a) She has the most power.
(b) She is a tyrant.
(c) She is the most beautiful woman in the house.
(d) She earns the income for the whole house.
6. What is the cause of Granny's death?
(a) A bee sting.
(b) A bad fall.
(c) A space heater.
(d) A fire.
7. What's wrong with the kimono Mameha wants Sayuri to put on near the beginning of chapter 18?
(a) It's faded.
(b) It's too small.
(c) It has ink spilled on it.
(d) It's torn.
8. What does the cook have in her hand when Mameha and Sayuri arrive at Mameha's former okiya?
(a) A plate.
(b) A kettle.
(c) A fish.
(d) A knife.
9. What is Chiyo asked to deliver to Hatsumomo in chapter 7?
(a) Her shamisen.
(b) Her brooch.
(c) Her obi.
(d) Her tortoiseshell hairpin.
10. What does Pumpkin leave the okiya to get for Hatsumomo in chapter 20?
(a) Her boyfriend.
(b) Hairpins she loaned to Korin.
(c) A shamisen.
11. What does Chiyo break by falling off the roof?
(a) Her leg.
(b) Her back.
(c) Her neck.
(d) Her arm.
12. How does Hatsumomo paint her lips?
(a) She paints the full shape of both of the lips.
(b) She paints just the lower lip.
(c) She paints a pouty expression on the lower lip and the full shape of the upper lip.
(d) She paints a circle shape.
13. Who is waiting at Mameha's apartment for Sayuri when she arrives at the end of chapter 15?
(a) Mr. Tanaka.
(b) Mr. Bekku.
(c) Mr. Itchoda.
14. What happened the same month that Sayuri first met the Chairman?
(a) Iwamura Electric recruited Nobu.
(b) Nobu was injured in a bombing.
(c) The Chairman got married.
(d) Iwamura Electric celebrated its twentieth anniversary.
15. What problem does Sayuri have in trying to pour tea for the Chairman in chapter 17?
(a) She spills the tea on the Chairman.
(b) The Chairman says he doesn't like tea.
(c) The teapot is empty.
(d) She was supposed to pour tea for Nobu first.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sayuri say the young actor she met at the party died a few years after they met?
2. Why does Mameha say Mother wants Chiyo to fail?
3. Which element does Chiyo's father have too much of in his personality?
4. What does Chiyo say regularly complicates the task of doing her chores?
5. What are tsutsumi, okawa, and taiko?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)