|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mameha say Hatsumomo is trying to make Pumpkin look good?
(a) It's a matter of her integrity as a geisha.
(b) To improve Hatsumomo's own reputation.
(c) She cares about Pumpkin's success.
(d) So that Mother will adopt her.
2. Why does Hatsumomo say Sayuri should say "Ah...ah..." at the beginning of chapter 15?
(a) Because her own voice isn't high enough.
(b) Because she wants to make fun of the sound of Sayuri's voice.
(c) Because she wants Sayuri to show off her tongue.
(d) Because she likes the sound of Sayuri's voice.
3. What does Chiyo first notice about Hatsumomo?
(a) The beauty of her kimono.
(b) Her cruelty.
(c) Her superstition.
(d) The small steps she takes when she walks.
4. In chapter 16, what does Mameha claim Hatsumomo's behavior proves?
(a) That she is evil.
(b) That she is cold-blooded.
(c) That she is desperate.
(d) That she is sincere.
5. What does Kuniko say Taro is afraid of?
6. What does Mother tell Chiyo that Granny spends her whole day doing?
(b) Thinking of ways to help Hatsumomo.
(c) Thinking of ways to hurt Hatsumomo.
(d) Wasting time.
7. Who does Auntie say will end up in a jorou-ya if she ever gets what she deserves?
8. How does Hatsumomo manage to show up at every party Mameha and Sayuri are at?
(a) She has bribed Auntie to inform her of Sayuri's schedule.
(b) She has bribed Pumpkin to find out about Sayuri's nightly engagements.
(c) She has bribed the maids in every teahouse to tell her when the two arrive.
(d) She has bribed Mameha's maid to inform her of Mameha's schedule.
9. What does Pumpkin say she'd rather drink when Hatsumomo insists she drink a beer with her at the beginning of chapter 20?
10. What is the pillow a geisha uses to protect her hairstyle filled with?
(b) Wheat chaff.
(c) Barley hulls.
11. What word does Nobu use to characterize geisha naming traditions?
12. What does the cook have in her hand when Mameha and Sayuri arrive at Mameha's former okiya?
(a) A knife.
(b) A plate.
(c) A fish.
(d) A kettle.
13. What does Chiyo think she's seen in the maids' room when she returns to the okiya in chapter 7?
(a) A cat.
(d) A rat.
14. What happened the same month that Sayuri first met the Chairman?
(a) Iwamura Electric recruited Nobu.
(b) The Chairman got married.
(c) Nobu was injured in a bombing.
(d) Iwamura Electric celebrated its twentieth anniversary.
15. What color is the fabric used to create an apprentice geisha's hairstyle?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Tanaka deliver to Chiyo for her mother at the beginning of chapter 2?
2. How does Mameha tell Sayuri to act when she meets the Doctor?
3. Who repeatedly invites Sayuri to the Ichiriki Teahouse to entertain in chapter 19?
4. What is hataki komi?
5. How does Mameha say Sayuri can make a good impression on Nobu?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)