|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Chiyo go after eating her shaved ice in chapter 9?
(a) To the okiya.
(b) To the school.
(c) To the stone wall.
(d) To the Gion shrine.
2. What color do Mameha and her maid agree that Chiyo's eyes are on their visit to pay their respects to Granny?
(c) Blue grey.
3. Why does Chiyo say Hatsumomo is "like an empress" in the okiya?
(a) She has the most power.
(b) She is the most beautiful woman in the house.
(c) She earns the income for the whole house.
(d) She is a tyrant.
4. After she learns that Mother will be adopting Pumpkin, how much time does Mameha say she and Sayuri have to ensure Sayuri's success?
(a) A few months.
(b) A few weeks.
(c) A few days.
(d) A year.
5. At which teahouse does Chiyo's ceremony with Mameha take place?
(a) At the Kanzaki Teahouse.
(b) At the Ichiriki Teahouse.
(c) At the Kaiseki Teahouse.
(d) At the Ichikawa Teahouse.
6. What gift does Nobu present to Sayuri?
(a) A pair of chopsticks.
(b) A silk obi.
(c) A hair ornament.
(d) A decorative sake cup.
7. Who is Hatsumiyo?
(a) Mother's biological daughter.
(c) Mameha's older sister.
(d) Hatsumomo's biological sister.
8. Why does Hatsumomo say Sayuri should say "Ah...ah..." at the beginning of chapter 15?
(a) Because she wants to make fun of the sound of Sayuri's voice.
(b) Because she wants Sayuri to show off her tongue.
(c) Because she likes the sound of Sayuri's voice.
(d) Because her own voice isn't high enough.
9. How does Mameha say Sayuri can make a good impression on Nobu?
(a) By being especially nice to the founder of Iwamura Electric.
(b) By behaving well when she meets him despite his looks.
(c) By being especially nice to him.
(d) By continually pouring sake for him.
10. In talking with Mother, what excuse does Chiyo make up for her presence in the entrance hall during Mameha's visit?
(a) She says she was trying to remove the dust from the altar.
(b) She says she was trying to fold Hatsumomo's obi.
(c) She says she was trying to buff a scratch out of the floorboards.
(d) She says she was trying to bring tea to Auntie.
11. Who does Auntie say will end up in a jorou-ya if she ever gets what she deserves?
12. What is Chiyo asked to deliver to Hatsumomo in chapter 7?
(a) Her shamisen.
(b) Her tortoiseshell hairpin.
(c) Her obi.
(d) Her brooch.
13. In chapter 16, what does Mameha claim Hatsumomo's behavior proves?
(a) That she is desperate.
(b) That she is cold-blooded.
(c) That she is evil.
(d) That she is sincere.
14. Who does Chiyo believe she hears saying her name in their sleep in chapter 8?
(d) Mother's dog.
15. What are "zori"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a momoware?
2. What does Hatsumomo say her paulownia wood is for?
3. In chapter 16, what does Mameha tell Sayuri that Pumpkin has won?
4. Who does Sayuri first believe she sees with Nobu?
5. What does Mameha say generous people don't do?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)