|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chiyo break by falling off the roof?
(a) Her arm.
(b) Her leg.
(c) Her neck.
(d) Her back.
2. What does Hatsumomo say her paulownia wood is for?
(a) For decorating her Noh mask.
(b) For drawing her eyebrows.
(c) For holding up her hair.
(d) For tying her obi.
3. Who does Sayuri first believe she sees with Nobu?
(a) Mr. Bekku.
(b) Mr. Tanaka.
(d) Her sister.
4. Why does Chiyo say Hatsumomo is "like an empress" in the okiya?
(a) She has the most power.
(b) She is a tyrant.
(c) She is the most beautiful woman in the house.
(d) She earns the income for the whole house.
5. What's wrong with the kimono Mameha wants Sayuri to put on near the beginning of chapter 18?
(a) It's too small.
(b) It's faded.
(c) It has ink spilled on it.
(d) It's torn.
6. Why does Pumpkin have so much trouble in music class?
(a) She can't sing.
(b) She has a hard time paying attention.
(c) She can't read music.
(d) She doesn't have much of an ear.
7. What does Mr. Tanaka deliver to Chiyo for her mother at the beginning of chapter 2?
(c) Chinese herbs.
8. What does Sayuri compare herself to in explaining to Pumpkin the desperate situation she's in?
(a) A cockroach.
(b) A zucchini.
(c) An ant.
(d) A maid.
9. What does Kuniko say Taro is afraid of?
10. What did Awajiumi do for a living before he began working at the Gion Registry Office?
(a) He was a fish merchant.
(b) He was a geisha dresser.
(c) He was a sumo wrestler.
(d) He was a farmer.
11. Who comes to get Chiyo and Satsu at the beginning of chapter 3?
(a) Mr. Tanaka.
(b) Their father.
(c) Mrs. Fidget.
(d) Mr. Tanaka's assistant.
12. What happens to a geisha who marries?
(a) She no longer continues as a geisha.
(b) Nothing, since geisha cannot marry.
(c) They become legends.
(d) She is disgraced.
13. Which element does Chiyo's father have too much of in his personality?
14. How does Mameha say Sayuri can make a good impression on Nobu?
(a) By being especially nice to him.
(b) By continually pouring sake for him.
(c) By behaving well when she meets him despite his looks.
(d) By being especially nice to the founder of Iwamura Electric.
15. Why is Sayuri worried that Mameha wants Nobu to become her danna?
(a) She is worried what Hatsumomo will think.
(b) It would ruin her chances of any relationship with the Chairman.
(c) She doesn't think she will ever have sufficient status to have a man like Nobu as a danna.
(d) She can't stand to look at his face.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Crab accuse Mameha and Sayuri of doing?
2. What does Chiyo do at the end of chapter 13 that convinces Mameha that she is ready for her debut?
3. Who repeatedly invites Sayuri to the Ichiriki Teahouse to entertain in chapter 19?
4. What are ohana?
5. At which teahouse does Chiyo's ceremony with Mameha take place?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)