|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which element does Chiyo's mother have too much of in her personality?
2. What does Uchida Kosaburo do for a living?
(a) He's a calligrapher.
(b) He's an artist.
(c) He's a choreographer.
(d) He's a poet.
3. What is hataki komi?
(a) A sumo move.
(b) A type of sake.
(c) The sumo winner's prize.
(d) The title of the best sumo wrestler.
4. Around which year does the narrator say Chiyo arrives in Kyoto?
5. What are ohana?
(a) A geisha's nightly fee.
(b) Offerings to the geisha.
(c) Offerings to the Teahouse mistress.
(d) Incense sticks.
6. What is a momoware?
(a) A type of peach.
(b) An apprentice geisha's hairstyle.
(c) A kind of kimono.
(d) A hairpin.
7. Who does Chiyo believe she hears saying her name in their sleep in chapter 8?
(c) Mother's dog.
8. What does Chiyo first notice about Hatsumomo?
(a) The beauty of her kimono.
(b) The small steps she takes when she walks.
(c) Her cruelty.
(d) Her superstition.
9. Why does Pumpkin have so much trouble in music class?
(a) She can't sing.
(b) She doesn't have much of an ear.
(c) She has a hard time paying attention.
(d) She can't read music.
10. What are tsutsumi, okawa, and taiko?
(a) Kinds of stringed instruments.
(b) Kinds of dances.
(c) Kinds of drums.
(d) Kinds of songs.
11. What does Hatsumomo say her paulownia wood is for?
(a) For decorating her Noh mask.
(b) For holding up her hair.
(c) For tying her obi.
(d) For drawing her eyebrows.
12. At which teahouse does Chiyo's ceremony with Mameha take place?
(a) At the Ichiriki Teahouse.
(b) At the Kanzaki Teahouse.
(c) At the Kaiseki Teahouse.
(d) At the Ichikawa Teahouse.
13. What does Chiyo say regularly complicates the task of doing her chores?
(a) Her hunger.
(c) Sitting with Granny.
(d) Her need to cry.
14. What does Sayuri compare herself to in explaining to Pumpkin the desperate situation she's in?
(a) A zucchini.
(b) A maid.
(c) An ant.
(d) A cockroach.
15. How much does Mother first offer Mameha on top of her usual fee for her services of being an older sister if Chiyo pays off her debts by twenty?
(a) 25 percent.
(b) 30 percent.
(c) 10 percent.
(d) 60 percent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mameha say Mother won't adopt Hatsumomo?
2. What does Kuniko say Taro is afraid of?
3. Who does Sayuri first believe she sees with Nobu?
4. Where is the ceremony performed that ties Pumpkin and Hatsumomo together as sisters?
5. Why does Mother say Chiyo should be punished for ruining Mameha's kimono?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)