|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chiyo think she's seen in the maids' room when she returns to the okiya in chapter 7?
(b) A rat.
(d) A cat.
2. Who did Mameha's older sister have an affair with?
(a) The Emperor.
(b) Mameha's husband.
(c) The Prime Minister.
(d) A baron.
3. After she learns that Mother will be adopting Pumpkin, how much time does Mameha say she and Sayuri have to ensure Sayuri's success?
(a) A few months.
(b) A year.
(c) A few days.
(d) A few weeks.
4. What does Hatsumomo make sure Pumpkin and Chiyo never do again?
(a) Do their chores together.
(b) Practice shamisen together.
(c) Talk to each other.
(d) Laugh together.
5. Who comes to get Chiyo and Satsu at the beginning of chapter 3?
(a) Mr. Tanaka.
(b) Their father.
(c) Mrs. Fidget.
(d) Mr. Tanaka's assistant.
6. What does Hatsumomo say her paulownia wood is for?
(a) For holding up her hair.
(b) For decorating her Noh mask.
(c) For tying her obi.
(d) For drawing her eyebrows.
7. What is a momoware?
(a) An apprentice geisha's hairstyle.
(b) A type of peach.
(c) A hairpin.
(d) A kind of kimono.
8. How does Sayuri say the young actor she met at the party died a few years after they met?
(a) He fell off a bridge in Gion.
(b) He was killed by a waitress.
(c) He killed himself with a sword.
(d) He died of drug overdose.
9. Who announces Mameha's visit to Mother at the beginning of chapter 11?
10. What does Dr. Crab accuse Mameha and Sayuri of doing?
(a) Misleading him.
(b) Leading him on.
(c) Taking advantage of him.
(d) Exploiting him.
11. Why does Mother say Chiyo should be punished for ruining Mameha's kimono?
(a) Chiyo has hated Hatsumomo from the beginning and must have thought the kimono was hers.
(b) Ruining the kimono was Chiyo's idea.
(c) They can't very well punish Hatsumomo.
(d) Chiyo was holding the brush.
12. What happened the same month that Sayuri first met the Chairman?
(a) Iwamura Electric celebrated its twentieth anniversary.
(b) Nobu was injured in a bombing.
(c) Iwamura Electric recruited Nobu.
(d) The Chairman got married.
13. Why does Chiyo say Hatsumomo is "like an empress" in the okiya?
(a) She has the most power.
(b) She is a tyrant.
(c) She earns the income for the whole house.
(d) She is the most beautiful woman in the house.
14. What are ohana?
(a) Offerings to the Teahouse mistress.
(b) A geisha's nightly fee.
(c) Incense sticks.
(d) Offerings to the geisha.
15. Who does Sayuri first believe she sees with Nobu?
(b) Mr. Bekku.
(c) Mr. Tanaka.
(d) Her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sayuri say she felt happened to Chiyo?
2. What are "zori"?
3. What does Chiyo break by falling off the roof?
4. What does Mameha tell her maid to do with Chiyo when she sees her the first time after a long absence?
5. Around which year does the narrator say Chiyo arrives in Kyoto?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)