|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does Nobu present to Sayuri?
(a) A hair ornament.
(b) A silk obi.
(c) A decorative sake cup.
(d) A pair of chopsticks.
2. Why does Mameha say Mother wants Chiyo to fail?
(a) Because Mother will owe Mameha a lot of money if she does.
(b) Because Mother has always been mean-spirited.
(c) Because Mother has never liked Chiyo.
(d) Because Mother is partial to Hatsumomo.
3. What is Chiyo asked to deliver to Hatsumomo in chapter 7?
(a) Her obi.
(b) Her tortoiseshell hairpin.
(c) Her brooch.
(d) Her shamisen.
4. Where is the ceremony performed that ties Pumpkin and Hatsumomo together as sisters?
(a) At the Nitta okiya.
(b) By the Shirakawa Stream.
(c) At the Gion Shrine.
(d) At the Mizuki Teahouse.
5. Where does Chiyo go after eating her shaved ice in chapter 9?
(a) To the Gion shrine.
(b) To the okiya.
(c) To the school.
(d) To the stone wall.
6. What does Hatsumomo make sure Pumpkin and Chiyo never do again?
(a) Talk to each other.
(b) Do their chores together.
(c) Laugh together.
(d) Practice shamisen together.
7. What are ekubo?
(a) Sweet rice cakes.
(b) Crab cakes.
(c) Incense sticks.
8. In which city was Nobu injured?
(a) In Tokyo.
(b) In Seoul.
(c) In Kyoto.
(d) In Peking.
9. What does Dr. Crab accuse Mameha and Sayuri of doing?
(a) Leading him on.
(b) Exploiting him.
(c) Taking advantage of him.
(d) Misleading him.
10. What does Mameha say generous people don't do?
(a) Become teahouse owners.
(b) Become okiya owners.
(c) Become patrons of geisha.
(d) Become geisha.
11. Why does Hatsumomo say Sayuri should say "Ah...ah..." at the beginning of chapter 15?
(a) Because her own voice isn't high enough.
(b) Because she likes the sound of Sayuri's voice.
(c) Because she wants Sayuri to show off her tongue.
(d) Because she wants to make fun of the sound of Sayuri's voice.
12. What is mizuage?
(a) A cave.
(b) A geisha's sexuality.
(c) A geisha's virginity.
(d) An eel.
13. What does Mr. Tanaka write has happened to Satsu?
(a) She has fallen ill.
(b) She has run off with Mr. Sugi's son.
(c) She has come back to Yoroido.
(d) She has died.
14. What are tsutsumi, okawa, and taiko?
(a) Kinds of songs.
(b) Kinds of stringed instruments.
(c) Kinds of dances.
(d) Kinds of drums.
15. What are ohana?
(a) Offerings to the geisha.
(b) A geisha's nightly fee.
(c) Offerings to the Teahouse mistress.
(d) Incense sticks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sayuri say she felt happened to Chiyo?
2. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to show to men when she's filling their teacups?
3. What is a momoware?
4. How much does Mother first offer Mameha on top of her usual fee for her services of being an older sister if Chiyo pays off her debts by twenty?
5. What does Chiyo first notice about Hatsumomo?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)