|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What remark does the Chairman make about Sayuri's kimono?
(a) He remembers seeing it on Mameha.
(b) It reminds him of a sunset.
(c) He doesn't care much for the color.
(d) He thinks it suits Sayuri's skin tone perfectly.
2. What does Hatsumomo make sure Pumpkin and Chiyo never do again?
(a) Practice shamisen together.
(b) Do their chores together.
(c) Laugh together.
(d) Talk to each other.
3. After she learns that Mother will be adopting Pumpkin, how much time does Mameha say she and Sayuri have to ensure Sayuri's success?
(a) A few weeks.
(b) A year.
(c) A few days.
(d) A few months.
4. In which city was Nobu injured?
(a) In Seoul.
(b) In Peking.
(c) In Kyoto.
(d) In Tokyo.
5. What color is the fabric used to create an apprentice geisha's hairstyle?
6. What is the pillow a geisha uses to protect her hairstyle filled with?
(a) Wheat chaff.
(d) Barley hulls.
7. In chapter 16, what does Mameha claim Hatsumomo's behavior proves?
(a) That she is cold-blooded.
(b) That she is sincere.
(c) That she is desperate.
(d) That she is evil.
8. What is mizuage?
(a) An eel.
(b) A geisha's sexuality.
(c) A cave.
(d) A geisha's virginity.
9. Where does Chiyo go after eating her shaved ice in chapter 9?
(a) To the school.
(b) To the okiya.
(c) To the stone wall.
(d) To the Gion shrine.
10. What does Chiyo think she's seen in the maids' room when she returns to the okiya in chapter 7?
(c) A cat.
(d) A rat.
11. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to show to men when she's filling their teacups?
(a) Her arm.
(b) The nape of her neck.
(c) More charm.
(d) More respect.
12. What color do Mameha and her maid agree that Chiyo's eyes are on their visit to pay their respects to Granny?
(b) Blue grey.
13. In chapter 12 what does the narrator say she did NOT study?
(a) The art of flower arranging.
(b) The art of woodblock printing.
(c) The art of calligraphy.
(d) The art of Bunraku puppet theater.
14. Who repeatedly invites Sayuri to the Ichiriki Teahouse to entertain in chapter 19?
(c) Iwamura Electric.
(d) The Chairman.
15. How does Hatsumomo manage to show up at every party Mameha and Sayuri are at?
(a) She has bribed Pumpkin to find out about Sayuri's nightly engagements.
(b) She has bribed Mameha's maid to inform her of Mameha's schedule.
(c) She has bribed the maids in every teahouse to tell her when the two arrive.
(d) She has bribed Auntie to inform her of Sayuri's schedule.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hatsumomo say her paulownia wood is for?
2. What does Chiyo break by falling off the roof?
3. What excuse does Mameha make up for her visit?
4. What word does Nobu use to characterize geisha naming traditions?
5. Who is Hatsumiyo?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)