|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Baron make Mameha remove from its place in her apartment?
(a) Her dressing mirror.
(b) A poem by Matsudaira Koichi.
(c) A rare ceramic vase.
(d) A painting of a landscape.
2. Who is waiting at Mameha's apartment for Sayuri when she arrives at the end of chapter 15?
(a) Mr. Bekku.
(c) Mr. Tanaka.
(d) Mr. Itchoda.
3. What does Dr. Crab accuse Mameha and Sayuri of doing?
(a) Exploiting him.
(b) Leading him on.
(c) Misleading him.
(d) Taking advantage of him.
4. Who is Hatsumiyo?
(b) Mameha's older sister.
(c) Hatsumomo's biological sister.
(d) Mother's biological daughter.
5. What does Chiyo break by falling off the roof?
(a) Her back.
(b) Her arm.
(c) Her leg.
(d) Her neck.
6. Which teahouse does Mameha entertain Dr. Crab at the end of chapter 20?
(a) At the Shirae.
(b) At the Ichiriki.
(c) At the Mizuki.
(d) At the Yashino.
7. Sayuri compares Hatsumomo's beauty to that of an object someone had shown her some years after the story took place. What was the object?
(a) A spur.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A sword.
(d) A whip.
8. What is hataki komi?
(a) A type of sake.
(b) The sumo winner's prize.
(c) The title of the best sumo wrestler.
(d) A sumo move.
9. What does Uchida Kosaburo do for a living?
(a) He's a calligrapher.
(b) He's an artist.
(c) He's a poet.
(d) He's a choreographer.
10. What is Chiyo asked to deliver to Hatsumomo in chapter 7?
(a) Her brooch.
(b) Her obi.
(c) Her shamisen.
(d) Her tortoiseshell hairpin.
11. Why does Hatsumomo say Sayuri should say "Ah...ah..." at the beginning of chapter 15?
(a) Because she wants Sayuri to show off her tongue.
(b) Because her own voice isn't high enough.
(c) Because she wants to make fun of the sound of Sayuri's voice.
(d) Because she likes the sound of Sayuri's voice.
12. What does Mameha tell her maid to do with Chiyo when she sees her the first time after a long absence?
(a) Give her a bath.
(b) Fix her hair.
(c) Give her some proper shoes.
(d) Put her in a kimono.
13. How does Pumpkin react to Mameha's visit?
(a) She is the only one in the okiya not interested in Mameha's visit.
(b) She feels sorry for Chiyo because she thinks Chiyo is in trouble.
(c) She is eager to meet Mameha.
(d) She is angry because she knows Mameha is Hatsumomo's rival.
14. What does Kuniko say Taro is afraid of?
15. What does Mr. Tanaka write has happened to Satsu?
(a) She has run off with Mr. Sugi's son.
(b) She has come back to Yoroido.
(c) She has fallen ill.
(d) She has died.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sayuri worried that Mameha wants Nobu to become her danna?
2. What did Awajiumi do for a living before he began working at the Gion Registry Office?
3. In chapter 16, what does Mameha claim Hatsumomo's behavior proves?
4. What does Hatsumomo's boyfriend do for a living?
5. What does Sayuri do when Hatsumomo arrives at the Ichiriki and finds her entertaining the Chairman alone?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)