|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chiyo say regularly complicates the task of doing her chores?
(a) Her hunger.
(b) Sitting with Granny.
(c) Her need to cry.
2. What problem does Sayuri have in trying to pour tea for the Chairman in chapter 17?
(a) She was supposed to pour tea for Nobu first.
(b) She spills the tea on the Chairman.
(c) The Chairman says he doesn't like tea.
(d) The teapot is empty.
3. What does Chiyo first notice about Hatsumomo?
(a) The small steps she takes when she walks.
(b) Her cruelty.
(c) The beauty of her kimono.
(d) Her superstition.
4. Who repeatedly invites Sayuri to the Ichiriki Teahouse to entertain in chapter 19?
(a) The Chairman.
(b) Iwamura Electric.
5. Which element does Chiyo's father have too much of in his personality?
6. What does Sayuri say she felt happened to Chiyo?
(a) Mameha had destroyed her.
(b) Hatsumomo had destroyed her.
(c) Sayuri had destroyed her.
(d) Gion had destroyed her.
7. What word does Nobu use to characterize geisha naming traditions?
8. What does Chiyo keep doing when she bows on the street with Mameha that causes Mameha to pull her into an alley and show her the proper way of bowing?
(a) She keeps bowing too deeply.
(b) She keeps stopping in place.
(c) She keeps pressing her hands together the wrong way.
(d) She keeps making noises when she bows.
9. How does Mameha tell Sayuri to act when she meets the Doctor?
10. How does Hatsumomo paint her lips?
(a) She paints just the lower lip.
(b) She paints the full shape of both of the lips.
(c) She paints a pouty expression on the lower lip and the full shape of the upper lip.
(d) She paints a circle shape.
11. What does the cook have in her hand when Mameha and Sayuri arrive at Mameha's former okiya?
(a) A knife.
(b) A kettle.
(c) A plate.
(d) A fish.
12. What does the Baron make Mameha remove from its place in her apartment?
(a) A rare ceramic vase.
(b) Her dressing mirror.
(c) A poem by Matsudaira Koichi.
(d) A painting of a landscape.
13. What does Pumpkin leave the okiya to get for Hatsumomo in chapter 20?
(b) Hairpins she loaned to Korin.
(c) Her boyfriend.
(d) A shamisen.
14. Who does Sayuri first believe she sees with Nobu?
(a) Mr. Bekku.
(c) Mr. Tanaka.
(d) Her sister.
15. What is mizuage?
(a) A cave.
(b) A geisha's sexuality.
(c) A geisha's virginity.
(d) An eel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Mother first offer Mameha on top of her usual fee for her services of being an older sister if Chiyo pays off her debts by twenty?
2. What are ohana?
3. What remark does the Chairman make about Sayuri's kimono?
4. What are "zori"?
5. What does Chiyo compare life to at the beginning of chapter 9 to make her point about change?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)