|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hatsumomo's boyfriend do for a living?
(a) He is a construction worker.
(b) He is a photographer.
(c) He is a businessman.
(d) He is a cook at a noodle house.
2. Who announces Mameha's visit to Mother at the beginning of chapter 11?
3. Where does Chiyo go after eating her shaved ice in chapter 9?
(a) To the Gion shrine.
(b) To the okiya.
(c) To the school.
(d) To the stone wall.
4. What problem does Sayuri have in trying to pour tea for the Chairman in chapter 17?
(a) The Chairman says he doesn't like tea.
(b) The teapot is empty.
(c) She spills the tea on the Chairman.
(d) She was supposed to pour tea for Nobu first.
5. Why does Hatsumomo say Sayuri should say "Ah...ah..." at the beginning of chapter 15?
(a) Because her own voice isn't high enough.
(b) Because she wants to make fun of the sound of Sayuri's voice.
(c) Because she wants Sayuri to show off her tongue.
(d) Because she likes the sound of Sayuri's voice.
6. Who does Sayuri first believe she sees with Nobu?
(a) Mr. Tanaka.
(b) Mr. Bekku.
(d) Her sister.
7. After she learns that Mother will be adopting Pumpkin, how much time does Mameha say she and Sayuri have to ensure Sayuri's success?
(a) A few days.
(b) A few weeks.
(c) A few months.
(d) A year.
8. What are tsutsumi, okawa, and taiko?
(a) Kinds of dances.
(b) Kinds of drums.
(c) Kinds of stringed instruments.
(d) Kinds of songs.
9. What does Kuniko say Taro is afraid of?
10. What word does Nobu use to characterize geisha naming traditions?
11. What does Chiyo keep doing when she bows on the street with Mameha that causes Mameha to pull her into an alley and show her the proper way of bowing?
(a) She keeps stopping in place.
(b) She keeps bowing too deeply.
(c) She keeps pressing her hands together the wrong way.
(d) She keeps making noises when she bows.
12. What did Chiyo hide under the house's foundation that she finds again in chapter 9?
(a) A hairpin.
(b) A tree branch.
(c) A moth.
(d) A coin.
13. Why does Mameha say Hatsumomo is trying to make Pumpkin look good?
(a) She cares about Pumpkin's success.
(b) So that Mother will adopt her.
(c) To improve Hatsumomo's own reputation.
(d) It's a matter of her integrity as a geisha.
14. What remark does the Chairman make about Sayuri's kimono?
(a) He doesn't care much for the color.
(b) He remembers seeing it on Mameha.
(c) It reminds him of a sunset.
(d) He thinks it suits Sayuri's skin tone perfectly.
15. Which teahouse does Mameha entertain Dr. Crab at the end of chapter 20?
(a) At the Ichiriki.
(b) At the Yashino.
(c) At the Shirae.
(d) At the Mizuki.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which element does Chiyo's father have too much of in his personality?
2. How does Mameha say Sayuri can make a good impression on Nobu?
3. In which city was Nobu injured?
4. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to show to men when she's filling their teacups?
5. Sayuri compares Hatsumomo's beauty to that of an object someone had shown her some years after the story took place. What was the object?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)