|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uchida Kosaburo do for a living?
(a) He's an artist.
(b) He's a calligrapher.
(c) He's a choreographer.
(d) He's a poet.
2. Why does Mameha say Mother won't adopt Hatsumomo?
(a) Mother and Hatsumomo don't get along.
(b) Mother couldn't bear to transfer her power to Hatsumomo.
(c) Hatsumomo would probably find a way to do away with Mother.
(d) Hatsumomo would steal Mother's fortune.
3. What does the Baron make Mameha remove from its place in her apartment?
(a) A poem by Matsudaira Koichi.
(b) A rare ceramic vase.
(c) A painting of a landscape.
(d) Her dressing mirror.
4. What gift does Nobu present to Sayuri?
(a) A silk obi.
(b) A pair of chopsticks.
(c) A hair ornament.
(d) A decorative sake cup.
5. Who does Sayuri first believe she sees with Nobu?
(a) Her sister.
(c) Mr. Bekku.
(d) Mr. Tanaka.
6. Who repeatedly invites Sayuri to the Ichiriki Teahouse to entertain in chapter 19?
(a) The Chairman.
(d) Iwamura Electric.
7. What does Chiyo do at the end of chapter 13 that convinces Mameha that she is ready for her debut?
(a) She makes a prominent man stop on the street to look at her.
(b) She makes a delivery boy drop his tray just by looking at him.
(c) She performs the tea ceremony perfectly all by herself.
(d) She catches the attention of every geisha she passes.
8. How does Hatsumomo manage to show up at every party Mameha and Sayuri are at?
(a) She has bribed Pumpkin to find out about Sayuri's nightly engagements.
(b) She has bribed the maids in every teahouse to tell her when the two arrive.
(c) She has bribed Auntie to inform her of Sayuri's schedule.
(d) She has bribed Mameha's maid to inform her of Mameha's schedule.
9. In chapter 12 what does the narrator say she did NOT study?
(a) The art of flower arranging.
(b) The art of woodblock printing.
(c) The art of calligraphy.
(d) The art of Bunraku puppet theater.
10. What color do Mameha and her maid agree that Chiyo's eyes are on their visit to pay their respects to Granny?
(b) Blue grey.
11. How does Mameha say Sayuri can make a good impression on Nobu?
(a) By continually pouring sake for him.
(b) By being especially nice to him.
(c) By behaving well when she meets him despite his looks.
(d) By being especially nice to the founder of Iwamura Electric.
12. Where is the ceremony performed that ties Pumpkin and Hatsumomo together as sisters?
(a) At the Nitta okiya.
(b) At the Mizuki Teahouse.
(c) At the Gion Shrine.
(d) By the Shirakawa Stream.
13. What does Chiyo say regularly complicates the task of doing her chores?
(a) Sitting with Granny.
(c) Her hunger.
(d) Her need to cry.
14. Around which year does the narrator say Chiyo arrives in Kyoto?
15. What does Chiyo break by falling off the roof?
(a) Her leg.
(b) Her neck.
(c) Her arm.
(d) Her back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is mizuage?
2. What does Hatsumomo say her paulownia wood is for?
3. What is the pillow a geisha uses to protect her hairstyle filled with?
4. What does Sayuri say she felt happened to Chiyo?
5. What does Kuniko say Taro is afraid of?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)