|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the fabric used to create an apprentice geisha's hairstyle?
2. Why does Mameha say Mother wants Chiyo to fail?
(a) Because Mother is partial to Hatsumomo.
(b) Because Mother has always been mean-spirited.
(c) Because Mother has never liked Chiyo.
(d) Because Mother will owe Mameha a lot of money if she does.
3. What does Uchida Kosaburo do for a living?
(a) He's a choreographer.
(b) He's a calligrapher.
(c) He's a poet.
(d) He's an artist.
4. Around which year does the narrator say Chiyo arrives in Kyoto?
5. What does Pumpkin say she'd rather drink when Hatsumomo insists she drink a beer with her at the beginning of chapter 20?
6. After she learns that Mother will be adopting Pumpkin, how much time does Mameha say she and Sayuri have to ensure Sayuri's success?
(a) A few days.
(b) A few months.
(c) A year.
(d) A few weeks.
7. What is hataki komi?
(a) The title of the best sumo wrestler.
(b) A type of sake.
(c) The sumo winner's prize.
(d) A sumo move.
8. Whose graves does Chiyo see in the graveyard?
(a) Her grandparents' graves.
(b) Her neighbors' graves.
(c) Her father's first family's graves.
(d) Her siblings' graves.
9. Why does Mameha say Hatsumomo is trying to make Pumpkin look good?
(a) So that Mother will adopt her.
(b) She cares about Pumpkin's success.
(c) It's a matter of her integrity as a geisha.
(d) To improve Hatsumomo's own reputation.
10. Who did Mameha's older sister have an affair with?
(a) The Prime Minister.
(b) The Emperor.
(c) Mameha's husband.
(d) A baron.
11. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to show to men when she's filling their teacups?
(a) More charm.
(b) More respect.
(c) The nape of her neck.
(d) Her arm.
12. Where is the ceremony performed that ties Pumpkin and Hatsumomo together as sisters?
(a) At the Nitta okiya.
(b) At the Mizuki Teahouse.
(c) At the Gion Shrine.
(d) By the Shirakawa Stream.
13. What is a momoware?
(a) A type of peach.
(b) An apprentice geisha's hairstyle.
(c) A hairpin.
(d) A kind of kimono.
14. Which element does Chiyo's mother have too much of in her personality?
15. Why does Mameha say Mother won't adopt Hatsumomo?
(a) Mother couldn't bear to transfer her power to Hatsumomo.
(b) Hatsumomo would steal Mother's fortune.
(c) Mother and Hatsumomo don't get along.
(d) Hatsumomo would probably find a way to do away with Mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chiyo say Hatsumomo is "like an empress" in the okiya?
2. What does Sayuri compare her encounter with the Chairman to at the beginning of chapter 19?
3. Sayuri compares Hatsumomo's beauty to that of an object someone had shown her some years after the story took place. What was the object?
4. Who repeatedly invites Sayuri to the Ichiriki Teahouse to entertain in chapter 19?
5. Who comes to get Chiyo and Satsu at the beginning of chapter 3?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)