|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to a geisha who marries?
(a) Nothing, since geisha cannot marry.
(b) She is disgraced.
(c) They become legends.
(d) She no longer continues as a geisha.
2. What does Hatsumomo say her paulownia wood is for?
(a) For tying her obi.
(b) For drawing her eyebrows.
(c) For holding up her hair.
(d) For decorating her Noh mask.
3. What is hataki komi?
(a) The sumo winner's prize.
(b) The title of the best sumo wrestler.
(c) A sumo move.
(d) A type of sake.
4. What does Chiyo keep doing when she bows on the street with Mameha that causes Mameha to pull her into an alley and show her the proper way of bowing?
(a) She keeps stopping in place.
(b) She keeps making noises when she bows.
(c) She keeps pressing her hands together the wrong way.
(d) She keeps bowing too deeply.
5. What does Mameha say generous people don't do?
(a) Become patrons of geisha.
(b) Become geisha.
(c) Become okiya owners.
(d) Become teahouse owners.
6. What does Nobu say are the three most important things in life?
(a) War, business, and love.
(b) Sumo, business, and loyalty.
(c) Love, sumo, and business.
(d) Sumo, business, and war.
7. After she learns that Mother will be adopting Pumpkin, how much time does Mameha say she and Sayuri have to ensure Sayuri's success?
(a) A few weeks.
(b) A few months.
(c) A year.
(d) A few days.
8. Which element does Chiyo's mother have too much of in her personality?
9. What excuse does Mameha make up for her visit?
(a) She says she came by to pay her respects to Mother after the loss of Granny.
(b) She says she forgot something the last time she visited.
(c) She says she was wondering about Chiyo's health.
(d) She says she wanted to see if the okiya was still having trouble with Chiyo.
10. In which city was Nobu injured?
(a) In Peking.
(b) In Seoul.
(c) In Kyoto.
(d) In Tokyo.
11. In talking with Mother, what excuse does Chiyo make up for her presence in the entrance hall during Mameha's visit?
(a) She says she was trying to fold Hatsumomo's obi.
(b) She says she was trying to remove the dust from the altar.
(c) She says she was trying to buff a scratch out of the floorboards.
(d) She says she was trying to bring tea to Auntie.
12. What are ekubo?
(a) Incense sticks.
(b) Sweet rice cakes.
(c) Crab cakes.
13. What color do Mameha and her maid agree that Chiyo's eyes are on their visit to pay their respects to Granny?
(d) Blue grey.
14. What are "zori"?
15. What's wrong with the kimono Mameha wants Sayuri to put on near the beginning of chapter 18?
(a) It's torn.
(b) It's too small.
(c) It's faded.
(d) It has ink spilled on it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which element does Chiyo's father have too much of in his personality?
2. What does Mr. Tanaka deliver to Chiyo for her mother at the beginning of chapter 2?
3. What does Chiyo think she's seen in the maids' room when she returns to the okiya in chapter 7?
4. What is the cause of Granny's death?
5. Why does Mameha say Mother wants Chiyo to fail?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)