|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chiyo first notice about Hatsumomo?
(a) Her superstition.
(b) Her cruelty.
(c) The small steps she takes when she walks.
(d) The beauty of her kimono.
2. What does the cook have in her hand when Mameha and Sayuri arrive at Mameha's former okiya?
(a) A knife.
(b) A plate.
(c) A fish.
(d) A kettle.
3. What does Chiyo break by falling off the roof?
(a) Her neck.
(b) Her leg.
(c) Her arm.
(d) Her back.
4. In chapter 16, what does Mameha claim Hatsumomo's behavior proves?
(a) That she is sincere.
(b) That she is evil.
(c) That she is cold-blooded.
(d) That she is desperate.
5. Where does Chiyo go after eating her shaved ice in chapter 9?
(a) To the okiya.
(b) To the school.
(c) To the stone wall.
(d) To the Gion shrine.
6. How does Sayuri say the young actor she met at the party died a few years after they met?
(a) He died of drug overdose.
(b) He was killed by a waitress.
(c) He fell off a bridge in Gion.
(d) He killed himself with a sword.
7. What are ohana?
(a) Incense sticks.
(b) A geisha's nightly fee.
(c) Offerings to the Teahouse mistress.
(d) Offerings to the geisha.
8. What color is the fabric used to create an apprentice geisha's hairstyle?
9. What is Chiyo asked to deliver to Hatsumomo in chapter 7?
(a) Her tortoiseshell hairpin.
(b) Her shamisen.
(c) Her brooch.
(d) Her obi.
10. In which city was Nobu injured?
(a) In Peking.
(b) In Seoul.
(c) In Kyoto.
(d) In Tokyo.
11. Where is the ceremony performed that ties Pumpkin and Hatsumomo together as sisters?
(a) At the Nitta okiya.
(b) At the Mizuki Teahouse.
(c) At the Gion Shrine.
(d) By the Shirakawa Stream.
12. What is hataki komi?
(a) The title of the best sumo wrestler.
(b) The sumo winner's prize.
(c) A sumo move.
(d) A type of sake.
13. What is the pillow a geisha uses to protect her hairstyle filled with?
(a) Wheat chaff.
(c) Barley hulls.
14. How does Mameha tell Sayuri to act when she meets the Doctor?
15. What are ekubo?
(a) Sweet rice cakes.
(b) Crab cakes.
(d) Incense sticks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mameha say generous people don't do?
2. Who is Hatsumiyo?
3. Why does Hatsumomo say Sayuri should say "Ah...ah..." at the beginning of chapter 15?
4. Who does Chiyo believe she hears saying her name in their sleep in chapter 8?
5. What does Hatsumomo say her paulownia wood is for?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)