|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uchida Kosaburo do for a living?
(a) He's a calligrapher.
(b) He's a poet.
(c) He's an artist.
(d) He's a choreographer.
2. At which teahouse does Chiyo's ceremony with Mameha take place?
(a) At the Ichikawa Teahouse.
(b) At the Ichiriki Teahouse.
(c) At the Kaiseki Teahouse.
(d) At the Kanzaki Teahouse.
3. What does Sayuri compare her encounter with the Chairman to at the beginning of chapter 19?
(a) A gentle stream.
(b) A cherry blossom.
(c) A temple bell.
(d) An incense offering.
4. Why does Chiyo say Hatsumomo is "like an empress" in the okiya?
(a) She earns the income for the whole house.
(b) She has the most power.
(c) She is a tyrant.
(d) She is the most beautiful woman in the house.
5. In chapter 12 what does the narrator say she did NOT study?
(a) The art of flower arranging.
(b) The art of Bunraku puppet theater.
(c) The art of calligraphy.
(d) The art of woodblock printing.
6. What is mizuage?
(a) A geisha's sexuality.
(b) A cave.
(c) An eel.
(d) A geisha's virginity.
7. What does Sayuri say she felt happened to Chiyo?
(a) Gion had destroyed her.
(b) Hatsumomo had destroyed her.
(c) Mameha had destroyed her.
(d) Sayuri had destroyed her.
8. What does the Baron make Mameha remove from its place in her apartment?
(a) A poem by Matsudaira Koichi.
(b) Her dressing mirror.
(c) A rare ceramic vase.
(d) A painting of a landscape.
9. What does Mr. Tanaka write has happened to Satsu?
(a) She has come back to Yoroido.
(b) She has died.
(c) She has fallen ill.
(d) She has run off with Mr. Sugi's son.
10. How does Hatsumomo manage to show up at every party Mameha and Sayuri are at?
(a) She has bribed Auntie to inform her of Sayuri's schedule.
(b) She has bribed Mameha's maid to inform her of Mameha's schedule.
(c) She has bribed Pumpkin to find out about Sayuri's nightly engagements.
(d) She has bribed the maids in every teahouse to tell her when the two arrive.
11. How does Mameha say Sayuri can make a good impression on Nobu?
(a) By being especially nice to the founder of Iwamura Electric.
(b) By continually pouring sake for him.
(c) By behaving well when she meets him despite his looks.
(d) By being especially nice to him.
12. Which teahouse does Mameha entertain Dr. Crab at the end of chapter 20?
(a) At the Yashino.
(b) At the Ichiriki.
(c) At the Shirae.
(d) At the Mizuki.
13. What is Chiyo asked to deliver to Hatsumomo in chapter 7?
(a) Her shamisen.
(b) Her obi.
(c) Her brooch.
(d) Her tortoiseshell hairpin.
14. Who did Mameha's older sister have an affair with?
(a) The Prime Minister.
(b) Mameha's husband.
(c) The Emperor.
(d) A baron.
15. In chapter 16, what does Mameha tell Sayuri that Pumpkin has won?
(a) A trip to Kyoto.
(b) A managing stake in the okiya.
(c) The apprentice's award.
(d) The geisha's award.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to get Chiyo and Satsu at the beginning of chapter 3?
2. How does Pumpkin react to Mameha's visit?
3. Sayuri compares Hatsumomo's beauty to that of an object someone had shown her some years after the story took place. What was the object?
4. What gift does Nobu present to Sayuri?
5. Why does Mameha say Mother wants Chiyo to fail?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)