|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What remark does the Chairman make about Sayuri's kimono?
(a) He thinks it suits Sayuri's skin tone perfectly.
(b) He doesn't care much for the color.
(c) It reminds him of a sunset.
(d) He remembers seeing it on Mameha.
2. What does Mameha say generous people don't do?
(a) Become okiya owners.
(b) Become patrons of geisha.
(c) Become geisha.
(d) Become teahouse owners.
3. What are "zori"?
4. What does Chiyo say regularly complicates the task of doing her chores?
(b) Sitting with Granny.
(c) Her need to cry.
(d) Her hunger.
5. In chapter 16, what does Mameha tell Sayuri that Pumpkin has won?
(a) A trip to Kyoto.
(b) A managing stake in the okiya.
(c) The apprentice's award.
(d) The geisha's award.
6. How does Mameha say Sayuri can make a good impression on Nobu?
(a) By being especially nice to the founder of Iwamura Electric.
(b) By behaving well when she meets him despite his looks.
(c) By continually pouring sake for him.
(d) By being especially nice to him.
7. How does Pumpkin react to Mameha's visit?
(a) She is angry because she knows Mameha is Hatsumomo's rival.
(b) She is the only one in the okiya not interested in Mameha's visit.
(c) She is eager to meet Mameha.
(d) She feels sorry for Chiyo because she thinks Chiyo is in trouble.
8. What excuse does Mameha make up for her visit?
(a) She says she was wondering about Chiyo's health.
(b) She says she wanted to see if the okiya was still having trouble with Chiyo.
(c) She says she came by to pay her respects to Mother after the loss of Granny.
(d) She says she forgot something the last time she visited.
9. What does Mr. Tanaka write has happened to Satsu?
(a) She has fallen ill.
(b) She has run off with Mr. Sugi's son.
(c) She has died.
(d) She has come back to Yoroido.
10. What does Mameha tell her maid to do with Chiyo when she sees her the first time after a long absence?
(a) Fix her hair.
(b) Put her in a kimono.
(c) Give her a bath.
(d) Give her some proper shoes.
11. What does Pumpkin leave the okiya to get for Hatsumomo in chapter 20?
(a) A shamisen.
(b) Her boyfriend.
(d) Hairpins she loaned to Korin.
12. Who repeatedly invites Sayuri to the Ichiriki Teahouse to entertain in chapter 19?
(a) Iwamura Electric.
(b) The Chairman.
13. After she learns that Mother will be adopting Pumpkin, how much time does Mameha say she and Sayuri have to ensure Sayuri's success?
(a) A few weeks.
(b) A year.
(c) A few months.
(d) A few days.
14. What does Hatsumomo's boyfriend do for a living?
(a) He is a cook at a noodle house.
(b) He is a photographer.
(c) He is a businessman.
(d) He is a construction worker.
15. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to show to men when she's filling their teacups?
(a) The nape of her neck.
(b) Her arm.
(c) More charm.
(d) More respect.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the pillow a geisha uses to protect her hairstyle filled with?
2. In which city was Nobu injured?
3. What does Uchida Kosaburo do for a living?
4. How does Sayuri say the young actor she met at the party died a few years after they met?
5. Who is Hatsumiyo?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)