|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After she learns that Mother will be adopting Pumpkin, how much time does Mameha say she and Sayuri have to ensure Sayuri's success?
(a) A few months.
(b) A few days.
(c) A year.
(d) A few weeks.
2. What does Pumpkin leave the okiya to get for Hatsumomo in chapter 20?
(b) Her boyfriend.
(c) Hairpins she loaned to Korin.
(d) A shamisen.
3. Who does Auntie say will end up in a jorou-ya if she ever gets what she deserves?
4. Where does Chiyo go after eating her shaved ice in chapter 9?
(a) To the stone wall.
(b) To the Gion shrine.
(c) To the okiya.
(d) To the school.
5. Why does Mameha say Hatsumomo is trying to make Pumpkin look good?
(a) She cares about Pumpkin's success.
(b) To improve Hatsumomo's own reputation.
(c) So that Mother will adopt her.
(d) It's a matter of her integrity as a geisha.
6. What are ekubo?
(b) Incense sticks.
(c) Crab cakes.
(d) Sweet rice cakes.
7. What does Chiyo keep doing when she bows on the street with Mameha that causes Mameha to pull her into an alley and show her the proper way of bowing?
(a) She keeps bowing too deeply.
(b) She keeps stopping in place.
(c) She keeps pressing her hands together the wrong way.
(d) She keeps making noises when she bows.
8. Who repeatedly invites Sayuri to the Ichiriki Teahouse to entertain in chapter 19?
(a) Iwamura Electric.
(b) The Chairman.
9. Who does Sayuri first believe she sees with Nobu?
(a) Mr. Bekku.
(c) Mr. Tanaka.
(d) Her sister.
10. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to show to men when she's filling their teacups?
(a) More charm.
(b) The nape of her neck.
(c) Her arm.
(d) More respect.
11. Who comes to get Chiyo and Satsu at the beginning of chapter 3?
(a) Their father.
(b) Mrs. Fidget.
(c) Mr. Tanaka.
(d) Mr. Tanaka's assistant.
12. Around which year does the narrator say Chiyo arrives in Kyoto?
13. Why does Mameha say Mother wants Chiyo to fail?
(a) Because Mother will owe Mameha a lot of money if she does.
(b) Because Mother has always been mean-spirited.
(c) Because Mother has never liked Chiyo.
(d) Because Mother is partial to Hatsumomo.
14. What does Dr. Crab accuse Mameha and Sayuri of doing?
(a) Misleading him.
(b) Taking advantage of him.
(c) Exploiting him.
(d) Leading him on.
15. What happened the same month that Sayuri first met the Chairman?
(a) Nobu was injured in a bombing.
(b) The Chairman got married.
(c) Iwamura Electric celebrated its twentieth anniversary.
(d) Iwamura Electric recruited Nobu.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose graves does Chiyo see in the graveyard?
2. What does Kuniko say Taro is afraid of?
3. Who is Hatsumiyo?
4. What is the cause of Granny's death?
5. Who did Mameha's older sister have an affair with?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)