|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Tanaka deliver to Chiyo for her mother at the beginning of chapter 2?
(a) Chinese herbs.
2. How does Hatsumomo manage to show up at every party Mameha and Sayuri are at?
(a) She has bribed Mameha's maid to inform her of Mameha's schedule.
(b) She has bribed Pumpkin to find out about Sayuri's nightly engagements.
(c) She has bribed Auntie to inform her of Sayuri's schedule.
(d) She has bribed the maids in every teahouse to tell her when the two arrive.
3. What is the pillow a geisha uses to protect her hairstyle filled with?
(a) Barley hulls.
(b) Wheat chaff.
4. Why does Hatsumomo say Sayuri should say "Ah...ah..." at the beginning of chapter 15?
(a) Because her own voice isn't high enough.
(b) Because she wants to make fun of the sound of Sayuri's voice.
(c) Because she likes the sound of Sayuri's voice.
(d) Because she wants Sayuri to show off her tongue.
5. What excuse does Mameha make up for her visit?
(a) She says she wanted to see if the okiya was still having trouble with Chiyo.
(b) She says she came by to pay her respects to Mother after the loss of Granny.
(c) She says she was wondering about Chiyo's health.
(d) She says she forgot something the last time she visited.
6. Why does Mameha say Mother wants Chiyo to fail?
(a) Because Mother has always been mean-spirited.
(b) Because Mother is partial to Hatsumomo.
(c) Because Mother will owe Mameha a lot of money if she does.
(d) Because Mother has never liked Chiyo.
7. What does Uchida Kosaburo do for a living?
(a) He's a choreographer.
(b) He's an artist.
(c) He's a calligrapher.
(d) He's a poet.
8. Around which year does the narrator say Chiyo arrives in Kyoto?
9. Which teahouse does Mameha entertain Dr. Crab at the end of chapter 20?
(a) At the Yashino.
(b) At the Ichiriki.
(c) At the Shirae.
(d) At the Mizuki.
10. What does Kuniko say Taro is afraid of?
11. What does Pumpkin say she'd rather drink when Hatsumomo insists she drink a beer with her at the beginning of chapter 20?
12. Why does Mameha say Hatsumomo is trying to make Pumpkin look good?
(a) It's a matter of her integrity as a geisha.
(b) So that Mother will adopt her.
(c) She cares about Pumpkin's success.
(d) To improve Hatsumomo's own reputation.
13. Whose graves does Chiyo see in the graveyard?
(a) Her grandparents' graves.
(b) Her siblings' graves.
(c) Her father's first family's graves.
(d) Her neighbors' graves.
14. What are "zori"?
15. How does Hatsumomo paint her lips?
(a) She paints a pouty expression on the lower lip and the full shape of the upper lip.
(b) She paints the full shape of both of the lips.
(c) She paints just the lower lip.
(d) She paints a circle shape.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sayuri first believe she sees with Nobu?
2. What does Hatsumomo's boyfriend do for a living?
3. Which element does Chiyo's mother have too much of in her personality?
4. Sayuri compares Hatsumomo's beauty to that of an object someone had shown her some years after the story took place. What was the object?
5. In chapter 12 what does the narrator say she did NOT study?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)