|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color do Mameha and her maid agree that Chiyo's eyes are on their visit to pay their respects to Granny?
(c) Blue grey.
2. What does Mr. Tanaka write has happened to Satsu?
(a) She has come back to Yoroido.
(b) She has fallen ill.
(c) She has died.
(d) She has run off with Mr. Sugi's son.
3. In chapter 12 what does the narrator say she did NOT study?
(a) The art of flower arranging.
(b) The art of woodblock printing.
(c) The art of calligraphy.
(d) The art of Bunraku puppet theater.
4. What does the Baron make Mameha remove from its place in her apartment?
(a) Her dressing mirror.
(b) A rare ceramic vase.
(c) A painting of a landscape.
(d) A poem by Matsudaira Koichi.
5. What are "zori"?
6. What's wrong with the kimono Mameha wants Sayuri to put on near the beginning of chapter 18?
(a) It has ink spilled on it.
(b) It's faded.
(c) It's torn.
(d) It's too small.
7. What does Hatsumomo say her paulownia wood is for?
(a) For decorating her Noh mask.
(b) For holding up her hair.
(c) For drawing her eyebrows.
(d) For tying her obi.
8. Who is waiting at Mameha's apartment for Sayuri when she arrives at the end of chapter 15?
(a) Mr. Bekku.
(b) Mr. Itchoda.
(d) Mr. Tanaka.
9. In which city was Nobu injured?
(a) In Seoul.
(b) In Tokyo.
(c) In Kyoto.
(d) In Peking.
10. In chapter 16, what does Mameha tell Sayuri that Pumpkin has won?
(a) A managing stake in the okiya.
(b) A trip to Kyoto.
(c) The apprentice's award.
(d) The geisha's award.
11. What is Chiyo asked to deliver to Hatsumomo in chapter 7?
(a) Her tortoiseshell hairpin.
(b) Her brooch.
(c) Her shamisen.
(d) Her obi.
12. What does Dr. Crab accuse Mameha and Sayuri of doing?
(a) Exploiting him.
(b) Leading him on.
(c) Misleading him.
(d) Taking advantage of him.
13. Why does Hatsumomo say Mameha is trying to drive her out of Gion?
(a) Because Mameha is vengeful in character.
(b) Because Hatsumomo is more beautiful.
(c) Because Mameha has never liked Mother.
(d) Because Mameha has always hated Hatsumomo.
14. What are tsutsumi, okawa, and taiko?
(a) Kinds of dances.
(b) Kinds of songs.
(c) Kinds of stringed instruments.
(d) Kinds of drums.
15. What does Sayuri compare her encounter with the Chairman to at the beginning of chapter 19?
(a) A cherry blossom.
(b) An incense offering.
(c) A gentle stream.
(d) A temple bell.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Mother first offer Mameha on top of her usual fee for her services of being an older sister if Chiyo pays off her debts by twenty?
2. Why does Pumpkin have so much trouble in music class?
3. What does Chiyo compare life to at the beginning of chapter 9 to make her point about change?
4. What are ohana?
5. What does Mameha tell her maid to do with Chiyo when she sees her the first time after a long absence?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)