Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mameha say Mother won't adopt Hatsumomo?
(a) Hatsumomo would steal Mother's fortune.
(b) Mother and Hatsumomo don't get along.
(c) Hatsumomo would probably find a way to do away with Mother.
(d) Mother couldn't bear to transfer her power to Hatsumomo.
2. What are tsutsumi, okawa, and taiko?
(a) Kinds of drums.
(b) Kinds of songs.
(c) Kinds of stringed instruments.
(d) Kinds of dances.
3. In talking with Mother, what excuse does Chiyo make up for her presence in the entrance hall during Mameha's visit?
(a) She says she was trying to bring tea to Auntie.
(b) She says she was trying to fold Hatsumomo's obi.
(c) She says she was trying to buff a scratch out of the floorboards.
(d) She says she was trying to remove the dust from the altar.
4. In chapter 16, what does Mameha claim Hatsumomo's behavior proves?
(a) That she is sincere.
(b) That she is cold-blooded.
(c) That she is desperate.
(d) That she is evil.
5. Which element does Chiyo's mother have too much of in her personality?
6. What does Chiyo break by falling off the roof?
(a) Her back.
(b) Her arm.
(c) Her leg.
(d) Her neck.
7. What does Mother tell Chiyo that Granny spends her whole day doing?
(a) Wasting time.
(c) Thinking of ways to help Hatsumomo.
(d) Thinking of ways to hurt Hatsumomo.
8. Why does Hatsumomo say Sayuri should say "Ah...ah..." at the beginning of chapter 15?
(a) Because she wants Sayuri to show off her tongue.
(b) Because she wants to make fun of the sound of Sayuri's voice.
(c) Because she likes the sound of Sayuri's voice.
(d) Because her own voice isn't high enough.
9. Who is waiting at Mameha's apartment for Sayuri when she arrives at the end of chapter 15?
(b) Mr. Itchoda.
(c) Mr. Bekku.
(d) Mr. Tanaka.
10. What are ohana?
(a) Offerings to the geisha.
(b) Offerings to the Teahouse mistress.
(c) Incense sticks.
(d) A geisha's nightly fee.
11. Who does Auntie say will end up in a jorou-ya if she ever gets what she deserves?
12. Why does Mameha say Hatsumomo is trying to make Pumpkin look good?
(a) So that Mother will adopt her.
(b) It's a matter of her integrity as a geisha.
(c) She cares about Pumpkin's success.
(d) To improve Hatsumomo's own reputation.
13. How does Sayuri say the young actor she met at the party died a few years after they met?
(a) He was killed by a waitress.
(b) He killed himself with a sword.
(c) He died of drug overdose.
(d) He fell off a bridge in Gion.
14. What is mizuage?
(a) A cave.
(b) A geisha's virginity.
(c) A geisha's sexuality.
(d) An eel.
15. How does Mameha say Sayuri can make a good impression on Nobu?
(a) By continually pouring sake for him.
(b) By being especially nice to him.
(c) By behaving well when she meets him despite his looks.
(d) By being especially nice to the founder of Iwamura Electric.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chiyo say regularly complicates the task of doing her chores?
2. What does Chiyo think she's seen in the maids' room when she returns to the okiya in chapter 7?
3. What does Dr. Crab accuse Mameha and Sayuri of doing?
4. What are "zori"?
5. What does Mameha say generous people don't do?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)