|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mameha tell Sayuri to act when she meets the Doctor?
2. What did Chiyo hide under the house's foundation that she finds again in chapter 9?
(a) A tree branch.
(b) A coin.
(c) A moth.
(d) A hairpin.
3. What does Chiyo compare life to at the beginning of chapter 9 to make her point about change?
(a) A cherry blossom.
(b) A river.
(c) A mountain.
(d) The ocean.
4. What gift does Nobu present to Sayuri?
(a) A hair ornament.
(b) A pair of chopsticks.
(c) A silk obi.
(d) A decorative sake cup.
5. Whose graves does Chiyo see in the graveyard?
(a) Her siblings' graves.
(b) Her father's first family's graves.
(c) Her grandparents' graves.
(d) Her neighbors' graves.
6. What does Chiyo keep doing when she bows on the street with Mameha that causes Mameha to pull her into an alley and show her the proper way of bowing?
(a) She keeps stopping in place.
(b) She keeps pressing her hands together the wrong way.
(c) She keeps making noises when she bows.
(d) She keeps bowing too deeply.
7. Why does Pumpkin have so much trouble in music class?
(a) She has a hard time paying attention.
(b) She doesn't have much of an ear.
(c) She can't read music.
(d) She can't sing.
8. Which element does Chiyo's mother have too much of in her personality?
9. What did Awajiumi do for a living before he began working at the Gion Registry Office?
(a) He was a farmer.
(b) He was a fish merchant.
(c) He was a sumo wrestler.
(d) He was a geisha dresser.
10. What happens to a geisha who marries?
(a) They become legends.
(b) She is disgraced.
(c) She no longer continues as a geisha.
(d) Nothing, since geisha cannot marry.
11. What is a momoware?
(a) An apprentice geisha's hairstyle.
(b) A hairpin.
(c) A type of peach.
(d) A kind of kimono.
12. How does Sayuri say the young actor she met at the party died a few years after they met?
(a) He died of drug overdose.
(b) He killed himself with a sword.
(c) He fell off a bridge in Gion.
(d) He was killed by a waitress.
13. Why does Mameha say Hatsumomo is trying to make Pumpkin look good?
(a) She cares about Pumpkin's success.
(b) It's a matter of her integrity as a geisha.
(c) To improve Hatsumomo's own reputation.
(d) So that Mother will adopt her.
14. Which teahouse does Mameha entertain Dr. Crab at the end of chapter 20?
(a) At the Yashino.
(b) At the Ichiriki.
(c) At the Mizuki.
(d) At the Shirae.
15. Why is Sayuri worried that Mameha wants Nobu to become her danna?
(a) It would ruin her chances of any relationship with the Chairman.
(b) She is worried what Hatsumomo will think.
(c) She can't stand to look at his face.
(d) She doesn't think she will ever have sufficient status to have a man like Nobu as a danna.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 12 what does the narrator say she did NOT study?
2. What problem does Sayuri have in trying to pour tea for the Chairman in chapter 17?
3. How does Hatsumomo paint her lips?
4. What is the cause of Granny's death?
5. How does Hatsumomo manage to show up at every party Mameha and Sayuri are at?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)