|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sayuri compare herself to in explaining to Pumpkin the desperate situation she's in?
(a) An ant.
(b) A maid.
(c) A zucchini.
(d) A cockroach.
2. What does Mr. Tanaka write has happened to Satsu?
(a) She has come back to Yoroido.
(b) She has died.
(c) She has run off with Mr. Sugi's son.
(d) She has fallen ill.
3. After she learns that Mother will be adopting Pumpkin, how much time does Mameha say she and Sayuri have to ensure Sayuri's success?
(a) A year.
(b) A few weeks.
(c) A few days.
(d) A few months.
4. Around which year does the narrator say Chiyo arrives in Kyoto?
5. Where does Chiyo go after eating her shaved ice in chapter 9?
(a) To the Gion shrine.
(b) To the stone wall.
(c) To the school.
(d) To the okiya.
6. In chapter 12 what does the narrator say she did NOT study?
(a) The art of woodblock printing.
(b) The art of Bunraku puppet theater.
(c) The art of flower arranging.
(d) The art of calligraphy.
7. What does Chiyo keep doing when she bows on the street with Mameha that causes Mameha to pull her into an alley and show her the proper way of bowing?
(a) She keeps bowing too deeply.
(b) She keeps pressing her hands together the wrong way.
(c) She keeps making noises when she bows.
(d) She keeps stopping in place.
8. Who does Chiyo believe she hears saying her name in their sleep in chapter 8?
(a) Mother's dog.
9. What happened the same month that Sayuri first met the Chairman?
(a) Iwamura Electric celebrated its twentieth anniversary.
(b) The Chairman got married.
(c) Iwamura Electric recruited Nobu.
(d) Nobu was injured in a bombing.
10. In chapter 16, what does Mameha claim Hatsumomo's behavior proves?
(a) That she is cold-blooded.
(b) That she is desperate.
(c) That she is sincere.
(d) That she is evil.
11. What word does Nobu use to characterize geisha naming traditions?
12. What does Sayuri say she felt happened to Chiyo?
(a) Sayuri had destroyed her.
(b) Hatsumomo had destroyed her.
(c) Mameha had destroyed her.
(d) Gion had destroyed her.
13. Who repeatedly invites Sayuri to the Ichiriki Teahouse to entertain in chapter 19?
(c) Iwamura Electric.
(d) The Chairman.
14. What did Awajiumi do for a living before he began working at the Gion Registry Office?
(a) He was a sumo wrestler.
(b) He was a farmer.
(c) He was a fish merchant.
(d) He was a geisha dresser.
15. What does the cook have in her hand when Mameha and Sayuri arrive at Mameha's former okiya?
(a) A fish.
(b) A plate.
(c) A kettle.
(d) A knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mother tell Chiyo that Granny spends her whole day doing?
2. Who does Sayuri first believe she sees with Nobu?
3. What excuse does Mameha make up for her visit?
4. What does Chiyo say regularly complicates the task of doing her chores?
5. What gift does Nobu present to Sayuri?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)