|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Hatsumiyo?
(a) Mother's biological daughter.
(b) Hatsumomo's biological sister.
(d) Mameha's older sister.
2. How does Mameha say Sayuri can make a good impression on Nobu?
(a) By continually pouring sake for him.
(b) By being especially nice to him.
(c) By being especially nice to the founder of Iwamura Electric.
(d) By behaving well when she meets him despite his looks.
3. What does Chiyo think she's seen in the maids' room when she returns to the okiya in chapter 7?
(c) A cat.
(d) A rat.
4. What is Chiyo asked to deliver to Hatsumomo in chapter 7?
(a) Her tortoiseshell hairpin.
(b) Her obi.
(c) Her brooch.
(d) Her shamisen.
5. What does Hatsumomo say her paulownia wood is for?
(a) For tying her obi.
(b) For holding up her hair.
(c) For drawing her eyebrows.
(d) For decorating her Noh mask.
6. What does Sayuri say she felt happened to Chiyo?
(a) Hatsumomo had destroyed her.
(b) Gion had destroyed her.
(c) Sayuri had destroyed her.
(d) Mameha had destroyed her.
7. Why does Mameha say Mother won't adopt Hatsumomo?
(a) Mother couldn't bear to transfer her power to Hatsumomo.
(b) Hatsumomo would steal Mother's fortune.
(c) Hatsumomo would probably find a way to do away with Mother.
(d) Mother and Hatsumomo don't get along.
8. What does Chiyo break by falling off the roof?
(a) Her arm.
(b) Her leg.
(c) Her back.
(d) Her neck.
9. What does Mameha tell Sayuri to show to men when she's filling their teacups?
(a) More charm.
(b) More respect.
(c) Her arm.
(d) The nape of her neck.
10. What gift does Nobu present to Sayuri?
(a) A silk obi.
(b) A hair ornament.
(c) A pair of chopsticks.
(d) A decorative sake cup.
11. Who announces Mameha's visit to Mother at the beginning of chapter 11?
12. What does Sayuri compare herself to in explaining to Pumpkin the desperate situation she's in?
(a) A maid.
(b) A cockroach.
(c) An ant.
(d) A zucchini.
13. What excuse does Mameha make up for her visit?
(a) She says she came by to pay her respects to Mother after the loss of Granny.
(b) She says she wanted to see if the okiya was still having trouble with Chiyo.
(c) She says she forgot something the last time she visited.
(d) She says she was wondering about Chiyo's health.
14. What does Chiyo first notice about Hatsumomo?
(a) The small steps she takes when she walks.
(b) The beauty of her kimono.
(c) Her superstition.
(d) Her cruelty.
15. How much does Mother first offer Mameha on top of her usual fee for her services of being an older sister if Chiyo pays off her debts by twenty?
(a) 30 percent.
(b) 60 percent.
(c) 25 percent.
(d) 10 percent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a momoware?
2. What does Nobu say are the three most important things in life?
3. Around which year does the narrator say Chiyo arrives in Kyoto?
4. Who comes to get Chiyo and Satsu at the beginning of chapter 3?
5. Who repeatedly invites Sayuri to the Ichiriki Teahouse to entertain in chapter 19?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)