|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 29.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are ohana?
(a) Offerings to the Teahouse mistress.
(b) Incense sticks.
(c) Offerings to the geisha.
(d) A geisha's nightly fee.
2. What does Sayuri tell the Chairman he should do during their brief encounter in chapter 26?
(a) He should be nicer to the apprentice geisha.
(b) He should arrange for her to see Nobu.
(c) He should be careful not to drink so much.
(d) He should invite her to entertain at a party.
3. What are tsutsumi, okawa, and taiko?
(a) Kinds of dances.
(b) Kinds of stringed instruments.
(c) Kinds of songs.
(d) Kinds of drums.
4. What kind of General is the General Junnosuke?
(a) A ruthless General.
(b) A Korean General.
(c) A high ranked General.
(d) A low ranked General.
5. Why does Hatsumomo say Sayuri should say "Ah...ah..." at the beginning of chapter 15?
(a) Because she likes the sound of Sayuri's voice.
(b) Because she wants to make fun of the sound of Sayuri's voice.
(c) Because her own voice isn't high enough.
(d) Because she wants Sayuri to show off her tongue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mameha tell her maid to do with Chiyo when she sees her the first time after a long absence?
2. What event is Sayuri referring to when she states: "...there did finally come a time when even the pinpoint of light in which we'd managed to keep ourselves suddenly went out" in chapter 28?
3. What does Sayuri compare herself to in explaining to Pumpkin the desperate situation she's in?
4. In chapter 12 what does the narrator say she did NOT study?
5. What happens to a geisha who marries?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)