|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 17", where do Memed and Jabbar go after their escape?
2. Why is Big Osman traveling around town in "Chapter 23"?
3. How does Lame Ali help Memed rescue Hatche from prison in "Chapter 25"?
4. What does Poor Ali do in "Chapter 22" while spending time with Memed?
5. Who took over the Turkomen tribes after World War I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Big Osman meets Memed for the first time?
2. What story does Horali tell Memed and Jabbar in "Chapter 20"?
3. How does Yellow Bakir defend his village?
4. What is Memed's visit with Hatche like in the prison?
5. What happens when Abdi decides to write a letter to Ahmed?
6. What does Abdi tell Ali Safa about Memed in "Chapter 16"?
7. How is Memed able to visit Hatche in prison?
8. In "Chapter 27", what is Ali Safa's main concern?
9. In "Chapter 16", what story does Abdi tell Ali Safa's wife?
10. How does Horali die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship of the villages to character development? Consider the relationships between the villages as well.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of wealth in "Memed, My Hawk"? Consider how wealth is measured and how the class system is organized.
Essay Topic 3
Research the landlord system and feudal land ownership. How does this system affect the development of the characters and plot? What is the author's message about land ownership?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)