• It is mid-August in Alabama. Frankie Addams, age 12, feels like she doesn't belong anywhere. She has spent most of her summer in the kitchen with her 6 year-old cousin John Henry and the cook, Berenice, feeling hot, bored, and afraid.
• Frankie has a number of fears. For one thing, Frankie is sincerely afraid that she is going to grow to be over 9 feet tall.
• Until April of this year, Frankie had been like other people. She used to sleep in bed with her father, but it wasn't because she was afraid. Until April, she wasn't the kind of person to think of being afraid.
• In April, Frankie became concerned about the world, which was embroiled in World War II. To her, the world seemed to be cracked and broken beyond repair.
• On another April day, Frankie's father teased her and said she was too big to sleep with...
This section contains 3,155 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)