|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon Yelov's suggestion what scheme did Gurdjieff devise for making a lot of money?
2. What did Gurdjieff and Yelov have in common?
3. How did Gurdjieff and Karpenko meet the girl they both fell in love with?
4. What did Gurdjieff and Karpenko decide to do in order to settle their dispute over the girl?
5. Why did Soloviev leave his home town when he was in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Gurdjieff meet Prince Lubovedsky and what do they have in common?
2. How does Gurdjieff corner the local market in plaster casts?
3. What does Gurdjieff do in Rome to make money?
4. When does Gurdjieff meet Skridlov for the second time and what happens?
5. Whom do Gurdjieff and his friends go out of their way to see on their journey?
6. What brings them together?
7. Why does Prince Lubovedsky turn to spiritualism?
8. Whom does Gurdjieff promise the Prince to escort from Constantinople to Russia and what does he think of that person when he meets her?
9. Where does Gurdjieff meet the Prince again after two years of thinking him dead?
10. What does Yelov comment on that gives Gurdjieff an idea for making more money.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Who is Philos? Describe him? What is his relation to Gurdjieff? What are his talents?
2) Who is Soloviev? Describe him and tell a little of his history.
3) How does one find one's way through Turkestan since maps are almost useless?
4) Choose one of the three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss why Gurdjieff thought newspaper critics were unreliable.
2) Which two animals does Gurdjieff think every man and woman should embody and why?
3) What are the three types of modern literature Gurdjieff describes? How does he criticize them?
4) Choose one of the three topics and write on it.
Essay Topic 3
1) What was the former island of Haninn which Gurdjieff's father spoke of? Tell something about it.
2) What was the former Imastun Brotherhood? Describe them and what they did.
3) What were the four commandments Gurdjieff's father considered indispensable to a person from childhood to the age of maturity?
4) Choose one of the three topics to write about.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)