|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gurdjieff do in Rome?
2. Where does Prince Lubovedsky's search take him first?
3. What are Soloviev's early vices?
4. How did the Aisors make money?
5. Gurjieff didn't see Karpenko after the incident with the girl but when would he hear from him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gurdjieff do in Rome to make money?
2. What does Ekim Bey later study that brings in money?
3. Where does Ekim Bey show up four years after he first meets Gurdjieff and what happens there?
4. What brings them together?
5. Whom does Gurdjieff promise the Prince to escort from Constantinople to Russia and what does he think of that person when he meets her?
6. What does Gurdjieff remember about Yelov?
7. What was the main lesson Skridlov and Gurdjieff learned in the Monastery?
8. Where is Yelov and what is he doing when Gurdjieff meets him?
9. Whom do Gurdjieff and his friends go out of their way to see on their journey?
10. How does Gurdjieff corner the local market in plaster casts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Who is Abram Yelov, what does he do and where does Gurdjieff meet him? What do they have in common?
2) Describe Abram Yelov and the Aisor people he comes from.
3) What scheme for making money does Gurdjieff come up with in Tiflis? Do you think it was moral of Gurdjieff to carry out that scheme for making money?
4) Choose one of the above topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
1) How do Gurdjieff and Pogossian get passage on a ship to Egypt from the town of Smyrna (modern Izamr in Turkey)?
2) What does Pogossian decide to do when he and Gurdjieff arrive in the port of Alexandria, Egypt?
3) What does Gurdjieff decide to do in Egypt? What two men who become important in his life does he meet in Cairo? Under what circumstances?
4) Write on one of the three topics.
Essay Topic 3
1) What question comes up during the opening dinner for the New York City branch of the Institute for the Harmonious Development of Man? How does Gurfjieff answer the question?
2) To whom does Gurdjieff attribute his business acumen and why?
3) How does Gurdjieff lose all the money he amassed for his Institute?
4) Choose one of the three topics and write on it.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)