|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wound up with the girl, Gurdjieff or Karpenko?
2. How does Skirdlov describe himself as he sits on mountaintop at the end of Chapter 10?
3. What did the group do when they reached Bagdad?
4. With whom is Gurdjieff reunited at the monastery and what do they do together?
5. What do the two travelers do after their thirst for knowledge is satisfied ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Gurdjieff meet the Prince again after two years of thinking him dead?
2. Why does Prince Lubovedsky turn to spiritualism?
3. Where does Gurdjieff meet Prince Lubovedsky and what do they have in common?
4. What is the bond between Gurdjieff and Yelov?
5. What brings them together?
6. Where and when do Gurdjieff and Karpenko meet?
7. From what people is Yelov descended and what characterizes these people?
8. What does Gurdjieff do in Rome to make money?
9. How does Gurdjieff corner the local market in plaster casts?
10. What does Yelov comment on that gives Gurdjieff an idea for making more money.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe Gurdjieff's first tutor, Dean Borsh. What was his physical appearance? Why did people consider him odd?
2) List four of the ten principles that Gurdjieff's first tutor, Dean Borsh, believed children should be taught.
3) What does Gurdjieff do because he wasn't able to visit Dean Borsh during the last days before he died or be at the funeral?
4) Choose one of these topics and write about it.
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss why Gurdjieff thought newspaper critics were unreliable.
2) Which two animals does Gurdjieff think every man and woman should embody and why?
3) What are the three types of modern literature Gurdjieff describes? How does he criticize them?
4) Choose one of the three topics and write on it.
Essay Topic 3
1) Besides having Bogachevsky ( Father Evlissi) as a tutor how else does Gurdjieff benefit from his acquaintance with him?
2) What is "table turning" ? Describe it in as much detail as possible. Did Dean Borsh believe in it?
3) What does Gurdjieff's aunt warn him about? Were her warnings justified?
4) Choose one of the three topics and write about it.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)