|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Yelov considered by his family?
2. With whom is Gurdjieff reunited at the monastery and what do they do together?
3. What do the two travelers do after their thirst for knowledge is satisfied ?
4. Where does Gurdjieff sell paper flowers and what else does he sell there?
5. Why did the expedition travel towards Bagdad instead of going as previously planned to the Persian Gulf?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Skridlov and Gurdjieff disguise themselves as and how?
2. Where does Ekim Bey show up four years after he first meets Gurdjieff and what happens there?
3. What do Gurdjieff and his friends decide to do together?
4. Where does Gurdjieff meet the Prince again after two years of thinking him dead?
5. What does Vitvitskaia do while she is living with the Prince's sister?
6. Why was Ekim Bey's father indebted to Gurdjieff?
7. Where is Yelov and what is he doing when Gurdjieff meets him?
8. What degree does Karpenko with?
9. Why does Prince Lubovedsky turn to spiritualism?
10. Whom does Gurdjieff promise the Prince to escort from Constantinople to Russia and what does he think of that person when he meets her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) How does Gurdjieff make money in Rome? What does he build to embellish his small business?
2) What does Vitvitskaia find she has an interest in and a talent for when she is living with prince Lubovedsky's sister? What experiments does she try?
3) How does Gurdjieff change his opinion of Vitivitskaia? Do you think the prince has more compassion and intuition than Gurdjieff because of immediate compassion and non-judgment of Vitvitskaia?
4) Choose one of the three topics and write about it.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe Gurdjieff's first tutor, Dean Borsh. What was his physical appearance? Why did people consider him odd?
2) List four of the ten principles that Gurdjieff's first tutor, Dean Borsh, believed children should be taught.
3) What does Gurdjieff do because he wasn't able to visit Dean Borsh during the last days before he died or be at the funeral?
4) Choose one of these topics and write about it.
Essay Topic 3
1) Who is Philos? Describe him? What is his relation to Gurdjieff? What are his talents?
2) Who is Soloviev? Describe him and tell a little of his history.
3) How does one find one's way through Turkestan since maps are almost useless?
4) Choose one of the three topics to write on.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)