|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gurdjieff learn from the dervish?
2. What was Gurdjieff doing when he first met Karpenko?
3. What was Gurdjieff doing in Alexandropol when Karpenko stopped off to see him?
4. How did Yelov view his mother?
5. What was Abram Yelov's background?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Gurdjieff meet Skridlov for the second time and what happens?
2. From what people is Yelov descended and what characterizes these people?
3. What does Ekim Bey later study that brings in money?
4. What does Vitvitskaia do while she is living with the Prince's sister?
5. Where does Gurdjieff meet Ekim Bey and under what circumstances?
6. Where does Ekim Bey show up four years after he first meets Gurdjieff and what happens there?
7. How does Gurdjieff corner the local market in plaster casts?
8. Where is Yelov and what is he doing when Gurdjieff meets him?
9. What do Skridlov and Gurdjieff disguise themselves as and how?
10. Why was Ekim Bey's father indebted to Gurdjieff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe Gurdjieff's theories about translation of languages.
2) Why does Gurdjieff think grammars have harmed contemporary literature?
3) What are some of Gurdjieff's theories about translation of languages and thinking in one language while attempting to speak another?
4) Choose one of the three topics to write about.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe Abram Yelov: his physical appearance, his peculiarities and his relationship with his parents and friends.
2) What eventually happens to Yelov? How does he become wealthy? How does he lose his fortune? Where does he finally settle?
3) What did Abram Yelov's father do for a living? What did his mother do?
4) Choose one of the three topics and write on it.
Essay Topic 3
1) Who is Piotr Karpenko? When does Gurdjieff meet him and how do they become close friends?
2) Who is Professor Skridlov? What is he a professor of? What do he and Gurdjieff do together in Egypt?
3) What do Gurdjieff and Skridlov do in order to travel to Kafiristan and Bukara where Euopeans were hated but where they wanted to find out about Islam?
4) Choose one of the three topics to write on.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)