|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Yelov considered by his family?
2. What did Gurdjieff and Ekim Bey do first when they ran out of money?
3. How did Gurdjieff meet Abram Yelov?
4. Whom do Gurdjieff and Skridlov meet in Afridis?
5. How did the Aisors make money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gurdjieff corner the local market in plaster casts?
2. Why does Prince Lubovedsky turn to spiritualism?
3. Where and when do Gurdjieff and Karpenko meet?
4. Whom does Gurdjieff promise the Prince to escort from Constantinople to Russia and what does he think of that person when he meets her?
5. What is the bond between Gurdjieff and Yelov?
6. From what people is Yelov descended and what characterizes these people?
7. Where does Gurdjieff meet the Prince again after two years of thinking him dead?
8. What do Gurdjieff and his friends decide to do together?
9. What does Vitvitskaia do while she is living with the Prince's sister?
10. What does Ekim Bey later study that brings in money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) How does Gurdjieff make money in Rome? What does he build to embellish his small business?
2) What does Vitvitskaia find she has an interest in and a talent for when she is living with prince Lubovedsky's sister? What experiments does she try?
3) How does Gurdjieff change his opinion of Vitivitskaia? Do you think the prince has more compassion and intuition than Gurdjieff because of immediate compassion and non-judgment of Vitvitskaia?
4) Choose one of the three topics and write about it.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the anecdote Gurdjieff tells entitled "The Conversation of the Two Sparrows". What is the lesson contained in the anecdote?
2) What did Gurdjieff think were the shortcomings of the contemporary literature of his day?
3) Recount the story of the family who died from eating poison sausages. Who caused that tragedy and how?
4) Choose one of the above questions and answer it in as much detail as possible.
Essay Topic 3
1) What was the former island of Haninn which Gurdjieff's father spoke of? Tell something about it.
2) What was the former Imastun Brotherhood? Describe them and what they did.
3) What were the four commandments Gurdjieff's father considered indispensable to a person from childhood to the age of maturity?
4) Choose one of the three topics to write about.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)