|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Gurdjieff and Pogossian happen to meet?
2. What, in Gurdjieff's opinion, has harmed contemporary literature?
3. What had Gurdjieff promised himself to do after completing his first series of writing?
4. Who was allowed access to Father Borsh's room?
5. What was Gurdjieff's youngest niece supposed to do for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gurdjieff and Pogossian become good friends?
2. Who was Gurdjieff's first tutor and what position did he hold?
3. What did Father Borsh, Gurdjieff's first tutor, think of the experiment in spiritualism using the table?
4. Describe the Essene Brotherhood.
5. Which two animals does Gurdjieff think each man should embody and why?
6. What does Gurdjieff mean by "word prostitution" in his criticism of contemporary literature?
7. What was the story of Gilgamesh?
8. Describe an ashokh.
9. What did Father Borsh do sometimes for a rest?
10. What does Gurdjieff criticize contemporary people for and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Who is Abram Yelov, what does he do and where does Gurdjieff meet him? What do they have in common?
2) Describe Abram Yelov and the Aisor people he comes from.
3) What scheme for making money does Gurdjieff come up with in Tiflis? Do you think it was moral of Gurdjieff to carry out that scheme for making money?
4) Choose one of the above topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
1) How does Gurdjieff make money in Rome? What does he build to embellish his small business?
2) What does Vitvitskaia find she has an interest in and a talent for when she is living with prince Lubovedsky's sister? What experiments does she try?
3) How does Gurdjieff change his opinion of Vitivitskaia? Do you think the prince has more compassion and intuition than Gurdjieff because of immediate compassion and non-judgment of Vitvitskaia?
4) Choose one of the three topics and write about it.
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss why Gurdjieff thought newspaper critics were unreliable.
2) Which two animals does Gurdjieff think every man and woman should embody and why?
3) What are the three types of modern literature Gurdjieff describes? How does he criticize them?
4) Choose one of the three topics and write on it.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)