|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Imastun brethren study?
2. Where did Gurdjieff witness his third ashokh contest?
3. What was Ani?
4. How old was Dean Borsh when he first taught Gurdjieff and visited his father to discuss religious and historical subjects?
5. How did Gurdjieff and Pogossian secure passage on a ship to Egypt?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and where did Gurdjieff meet Pogossian?
2. What was Gurdjieff's father's view on the aim of life?
3. What experiment did Bogachevsky and his friends make to prove the validity of spiritualism?
4. What did Father Borsh devote his spare time to?
5. What does Gurdjieff criticize contemporary people for and why?
6. Describe an ashokh.
7. What did Father Borsh, Gurdjieff's first tutor, think of the experiment in spiritualism using the table?
8. What was the relationship between Gurdjieff's father and Dean Borsh?
9. Which two animals does Gurdjieff think each man should embody and why?
10. What did Gurdjieff's father do on evenings before Sundays and holidays?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Discuss why Gurdjieff thought newspaper critics were unreliable.
2) Which two animals does Gurdjieff think every man and woman should embody and why?
3) What are the three types of modern literature Gurdjieff describes? How does he criticize them?
4) Choose one of the three topics and write on it.
Essay Topic 2
1) Who is Piotr Karpenko? When does Gurdjieff meet him and how do they become close friends?
2) Who is Professor Skridlov? What is he a professor of? What do he and Gurdjieff do together in Egypt?
3) What do Gurdjieff and Skridlov do in order to travel to Kafiristan and Bukara where Euopeans were hated but where they wanted to find out about Islam?
4) Choose one of the three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe the situation of the European painter who was so highly praised by a German newspaper. Was he really a great painter? What happened in the story?
2) How did a literary critic cause the suicide of a young couple?
3) Describe the music critic Gurdjieff judges as a phony in the book. Why does Gurdjieff feel the man has no right to be a music critic?
4) Choose one of the three questions and answer in as much detail as possible.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)