|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the fortuneteller whom Gurdjieff's aunt consulted?
2. What was the title of the introduction Gurdjieff had originally planned for the thirtieth book?
3. What treasure did Gurdjieff secretly get from the Armenian priest?
4. What did Pogossian do after graduating from the seminary?
5. On their expedition in search of the school run by the Sarmoung Brotherhood what experience causes Gurdjieff and Pogossian great fear but then hilarious laughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bogachevsky.
2. What did Gurdjieff's father do on evenings before Sundays and holidays?
3. What did Father Borsh, Gurdjieff's first tutor, think of the experiment in spiritualism using the table?
4. Why did people consider Father Borsh peculiar?
5. What is a gornakh?
6. What did Father Borsh devote his spare time to?
7. How did Gurdjieff happen to see the famous ashokhs of those days?
8. What was Gurdjieff's father's view on the aim of life?
9. What was the story of Gilgamesh?
10. What is Gurdjieff's criticism of contemporary journalism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the situation of the European painter who was so highly praised by a German newspaper. Was he really a great painter? What happened in the story?
2) How did a literary critic cause the suicide of a young couple?
3) Describe the music critic Gurdjieff judges as a phony in the book. Why does Gurdjieff feel the man has no right to be a music critic?
4) Choose one of the three questions and answer in as much detail as possible.
Essay Topic 2
1) Who is Piotr Karpenko? When does Gurdjieff meet him and how do they become close friends?
2) Who is Professor Skridlov? What is he a professor of? What do he and Gurdjieff do together in Egypt?
3) What do Gurdjieff and Skridlov do in order to travel to Kafiristan and Bukara where Euopeans were hated but where they wanted to find out about Islam?
4) Choose one of the three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe the anecdote Gurdjieff tells entitled "The Conversation of the Two Sparrows". What is the lesson contained in the anecdote?
2) What did Gurdjieff think were the shortcomings of the contemporary literature of his day?
3) Recount the story of the family who died from eating poison sausages. Who caused that tragedy and how?
4) Choose one of the above questions and answer it in as much detail as possible.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)