|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Gurdjieff go to Alexandropol?
2. When did Gurdjieff meet Pogossian and become friends with him?
3. What was the "Sarmoung"?
4. What did Father Borsh think that the gratification of lust before adulthood would do to a youth?
5. What had Gurdjieff's family first intended him to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened two years later when Pogossian returned to Kars where was was to be ordained?
2. Why did Gurdjieff go to Alexandropol?
3. Why do Gurdjieff and Pogossian travel to Alexandropol?
4. Describe an ashokh.
5. What did Father Borsh, Gurdjieff's first tutor, think of the experiment in spiritualism using the table?
6. What important discovery did Gurdjieff and Pogossian make in the rubble of the underground passages of the ancient churches near Alexandropol?
7. What was the relationship between Gurdjieff's father and Dean Borsh?
8. What does Gurdjieff criticize contemporary people for and why?
9. Describe Bogachevsky.
10. What did Gurdjieff's father do on evenings before Sundays and holidays?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe Abram Yelov: his physical appearance, his peculiarities and his relationship with his parents and friends.
2) What eventually happens to Yelov? How does he become wealthy? How does he lose his fortune? Where does he finally settle?
3) What did Abram Yelov's father do for a living? What did his mother do?
4) Choose one of the three topics and write on it.
Essay Topic 2
1) Who is Philos? Describe him? What is his relation to Gurdjieff? What are his talents?
2) Who is Soloviev? Describe him and tell a little of his history.
3) How does one find one's way through Turkestan since maps are almost useless?
4) Choose one of the three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe the situation of the European painter who was so highly praised by a German newspaper. Was he really a great painter? What happened in the story?
2) How did a literary critic cause the suicide of a young couple?
3) Describe the music critic Gurdjieff judges as a phony in the book. Why does Gurdjieff feel the man has no right to be a music critic?
4) Choose one of the three questions and answer in as much detail as possible.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)