|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subjects did Ponomarenko teach Gurdjieff?
2. What was the title of the introduction Gurdjieff had originally planned for the thirtieth book?
3. Where is the chief monastery of the Essene Brotherhood situated?
4. When did Gurdjieff meet Pogossian and become friends with him?
5. What has the literature of contemporary civilization to give according to Gurdjieff?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gurdjieff criticize contemporary people for and why?
2. How did Gurdjieff happen to see the famous ashokhs of those days?
3. What is Gurdjieff's criticism of contemporary journalism?
4. Why do Gurdjieff and Pogossian travel to Alexandropol?
5. According to Gurdjieff into what three categories does contemporary literature fall and how does he describe them?
6. Why did people consider Father Borsh peculiar?
7. Describe Bogachevsky.
8. What important discovery did Gurdjieff and Pogossian make in the rubble of the underground passages of the ancient churches near Alexandropol?
9. When and where did Gurdjieff meet Pogossian?
10. Which two animals does Gurdjieff think each man should embody and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) How does Gurdjieff make money in Rome? What does he build to embellish his small business?
2) What does Vitvitskaia find she has an interest in and a talent for when she is living with prince Lubovedsky's sister? What experiments does she try?
3) How does Gurdjieff change his opinion of Vitivitskaia? Do you think the prince has more compassion and intuition than Gurdjieff because of immediate compassion and non-judgment of Vitvitskaia?
4) Choose one of the three topics and write about it.
Essay Topic 2
1) What was the former island of Haninn which Gurdjieff's father spoke of? Tell something about it.
2) What was the former Imastun Brotherhood? Describe them and what they did.
3) What were the four commandments Gurdjieff's father considered indispensable to a person from childhood to the age of maturity?
4) Choose one of the three topics to write about.
Essay Topic 3
1) Who is Abram Yelov, what does he do and where does Gurdjieff meet him? What do they have in common?
2) Describe Abram Yelov and the Aisor people he comes from.
3) What scheme for making money does Gurdjieff come up with in Tiflis? Do you think it was moral of Gurdjieff to carry out that scheme for making money?
4) Choose one of the above topics to write on.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)