|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wound up with the girl, Gurdjieff or Karpenko?
(a) neither, they both lost interest in her
(b) Karpenko because he brought her sweets and flowers
(c) Gurdjieff because he played the guitar
(d) Another one of their friends who was a neighbor of hers
2. With whom is Gurdjieff reunited at the monastery and what do they do together?
(a) with Pogossian and they visit the waterfall daily
(b) with Vitvitskaia and they fall in love.
(c) with Prince Lubovesky and they watch a sacred dance
(d) with Ekim Bey and they collaborate on a book.
3. How did Gurdjieff meet Professor Skridlov?
(a) He worked for him in Armenia.
(b) He studied under him in Alexandropol.
(c) He studied under him in Kars.
(d) He became his guide in Egypt.
4. What did Gurdjieff and Karpenko decide to do in order to settle their dispute over the girl?
(a) fight a duel
(b) enter a singing contest where the winner would win her
(c) give her an ultimatum of choosing one of them
(d) ask for her hand in marriage
5. What did the dervish disapprove of that Gurdjieff did?
(a) He disapproved of Gurdjieff's way of speaking
(b) He disapproved Gurdjieff's practice of Hatha Yoga
(c) He disapproved of Gurdjieff's deceitfulness
(d) He disapproved of Gurdjieff's clothing
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Yelov's physical appearance?
2. What diploma did Karpenko obtain in Russia before becoming a member of the Seekers of Truth?
3. What are Soloviev's early vices?
4. Whom does Skridlov visit in Russia?
5. How does Skirdlov describe himself as he sits on mountaintop at the end of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Gurdjieff meet Professor Skridlov and under what circumstances?
2. What does Gurdjieff do in Rome to make money?
3. Why does Prince Lubovedsky turn to spiritualism?
4. What does Ekim Bey later study that brings in money?
5. What brings them together?
6. Why was Ekim Bey's father indebted to Gurdjieff?
7. Whom do Gurdjieff and his friends go out of their way to see on their journey?
8. What is the bond between Gurdjieff and Yelov?
9. How does Karpenko die?
10. Where does Ekim Bey show up four years after he first meets Gurdjieff and what happens there?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)