|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Yelov have a great talent for?
(a) doing magic tricks
(b) learning languages
(c) making speeches
(d) writing poetry
2. How does Gurdjieff's opinion about Vitvitskaia change?
(a) It changes from liking her to disliking her.
(b) It changes from indifference to romantic involvement.
(c) It changes from critical judgment to praise of her virtue.
(d) It changes to one of fear of her powers which he feels are evil
3. How does Skirdlov describe himself as he sits on mountaintop at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) as a kind of God
(b) as a puny mortal
(c) as an hysterical woman
(d) as a devote mystic
4. What was one of Yelov's peculiar habits?
(a) twitching his ears
(b) humming constantly
(c) hitching up his trousers
(d) reciting ancient Greek poems to everyone he met
5. What do Gurdjieff and Skridlov do to be accepted in Bukara where Europeans are hated?
(a) They grow beards in order to pose as holy men
(b) They decide to disguise themselves as whirling dervishes
(c) They take lots of money to bribe people
(d) They decide to convert to Islam
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Seekers of Truth do at the end of the summer that Gurdjieff spent in Alexandropol?
2. What does Gurdjieff learn from the dervish?
3. What did Ekim Bey write in a later letter to Gurdjieff?
4. What does Gurdjieff agree to do for Prince Lubovedsky?
5. What are Soloviev's early vices?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Gurdjieff meet Ekim Bey and under what circumstances?
2. Where does Gurdjieff meet the Prince again after two years of thinking him dead?
3. Why does Prince Lubovedsky turn to spiritualism?
4. When does Gurdjieff meet Skridlov for the second time and what happens?
5. What was the main lesson Skridlov and Gurdjieff learned in the Monastery?
6. What does Gurdjieff do in Rome to make money?
7. From what people is Yelov descended and what characterizes these people?
8. Where is Yelov and what is he doing when Gurdjieff meets him?
9. How does Karpenko die?
10. What does Vitvitskaia do while she is living with the Prince's sister?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)