|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did people think Dean Borsh was peculiar?
(a) His views were odd and though rich, he lived in one room.
(b) He was afraid of cats.
(c) He wore outlandish clothes.
(d) He spoke in riddles.
2. Who was Kouzmin?
(a) an artillery officer and pyrotechnical expert
(b) the abbot of the chief monastery of the Essene Brotherhood
(c) a fellow member of the Essene Brotherhood
(d) Dean Bosh's friend
3. When did Gurdjieff meet Bogachevsky?
(a) when Bogachevsky was young and about to become a priest
(b) when Bogachevsky was ill
(c) when Gurdjieff traveled to Russia
(d) when Bogachevsky was old and intending to retire
4. With whom did Gurdjieff's father carry on long conversations about philosophy and theology?
(a) with his close friend, Ivan Ivanovich
(b) with Gurdjieff himself
(c) with Gurdjieff's first tutor, Dean Borsh
(d) with his brother, Gurdjieff's beloved uncle
5. How did Gurdjieff view his father?
(a) like a fool whom he had no respect for
(b) like a friend who was somewhat beneath him
(c) like an older brother who instilled high ideals in him
(d) like a very stern patriarch whom he feared
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the chief monastery of the Essene Brotherhood situated?
2. How does Gurdjieff sum up the literature of his times?
3. What did Krestovsky teach Gurdjieff?
4. What is the title of the anecdote Gurdjieff uses to show the inferiority of modern life to ancient wisdom showing that modern life and literature are poison to the human race.
5. According to Father Borsh what two things should a priest be able to do for the members of his flock?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gurdjieff mean by "word prostitution" in his criticism of contemporary literature?
2. Who was Gurdjieff's first tutor and what position did he hold?
3. Why did people consider Father Borsh peculiar?
4. What important discovery did Gurdjieff and Pogossian make in the rubble of the underground passages of the ancient churches near Alexandropol?
5. Describe an ashokh.
6. What happened two years later when Pogossian returned to Kars where was was to be ordained?
7. What is a gornakh?
8. What did Father Borsh devote his spare time to?
9. What was the story of Gilgamesh?
10. Which two animals does Gurdjieff think each man should embody and why?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)