|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has the literature of contemporary civilization to give according to Gurdjieff?
(a) the development of "lies"
(b) the development of "superficiality in everyday life"
(c) the development of "word prostitution"
(d) the development of "an illusory view of life"
2. Why did the subject of spiritualism make a strong impression on Gurdjieff?
(a) because of the recent death of his favorite sister
(b) because his dead sister appeared to him in a dream
(c) because he wanted to take part in a seance
(d) because he wanted to believe in immortality
3. In which towns did Gurdjieff's family live during his childhood?
(a) Alexandropol and Kars
(b) Kabul and Baku
(c) Baku and Van
(d) Karabakh and Alexandropol
4. How many books had Gurdjieff first planned to write ?
5. What is the title of the anecdote Gurdjieff uses to show the inferiority of modern life to ancient wisdom showing that modern life and literature are poison to the human race.
(a) "The Conversation of Two Swallows"
(b) "The Conversation of the Two Sparrows"
(c) "The Conversation of Two Crows"
(d) "The Conversation of Two Robins"
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose house did Gurdjieff and Pogossian stay in the city of N?
2. Gurdjieff intended to write his book in accordance with what counsel for living employed by Mullah Nassr Eddin?
3. What did Father Borsh look like?
4. How does Gurdjieff remember Pogossian?
5. What is it impossible to do even if one is an excellent linguist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did people consider Father Borsh peculiar?
2. What did Gurdjieff's father do on evenings before Sundays and holidays?
3. Describe Father Borsh.
4. What is Gurdjieff's criticism of contemporary journalism?
5. What was Gurdjieff's father's view on the aim of life?
6. Why do Gurdjieff and Pogossian travel to Alexandropol?
7. What experiment did Bogachevsky and his friends make to prove the validity of spiritualism?
8. What did Father Borsh devote his spare time to?
9. What does Gurdjieff mean by "word prostitution" in his criticism of contemporary literature?
10. On their expedition to find the Sarmoung Brotherhood what other precious treasure does Gurdjieff find?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)