|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Dean Borsh when he first taught Gurdjieff and visited his father to discuss religious and historical subjects?
2. What did Gurdjieff dream of specializing in?
(a) He dreamed of technical specialization.
(b) He dreamed of medical specialization.
(c) He dreamed of becoming a writer.
(d) He dreamed of the spiritual specialization of the priesthood.
3. When did Gurdjieff meet Pogossian and become friends with him?
(a) when Pogossian was finishing his seminary studies
(b) in Baku on a trip
(c) in Paldevan during his vacation
(d) in Kars during his childhood
4. Gurdjieff changed his custom of drinking armagnac from liqueur glasses to drinking from what kind of glass?
(b) wine glasses
(c) shot glasses
(d) champagne glasses
5. When did Gurdjieff meet Bogachevsky?
(a) when Bogachevsky was old and intending to retire
(b) when Bogachevsky was young and about to become a priest
(c) when Bogachevsky was ill
(d) when Gurdjieff traveled to Russia
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Father Borsh's view about a youth before he attained adulthood?
2. Why does Gurdjieff criticize newspaper literary critics?
3. What did Gurdjieff propose to do in his second book, "Meetings with Remarkable Men"?
4. Who was Vseslavsky?
5. What state did Gurdjieff experience, according to Mullah Nassr Eddin's words, after many sleepless nights?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did people consider Father Borsh peculiar?
2. What does Gurdjieff criticize contemporary people for and why?
3. Why did Gurdjieff and Pogossian become good friends?
4. According to Gurdjieff into what three categories does contemporary literature fall and how does he describe them?
5. What does Gurdjieff mean by "word prostitution" in his criticism of contemporary literature?
6. What did Father Borsh, Gurdjieff's first tutor, think of the experiment in spiritualism using the table?
7. Why do Gurdjieff and Pogossian travel to Alexandropol?
8. Describe Father Borsh.
9. Describe the Essene Brotherhood.
10. What experiment did Bogachevsky and his friends make to prove the validity of spiritualism?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)