|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state did Gurdjieff experience, according to Mullah Nassr Eddin's words, after many sleepless nights?
(a) "to feel oneself plunged in galoshes to the eyebrows"
(b) "to feel like death warmed over"
(c) "to feel oneself tired to the bone"
(d) "to feel oneself run over by a herd of camels"
2. What did Pogossian look like?
(a) He was small, dark and clean-shaven.
(b) He was tall, fair-haired with a full beard.
(c) He was of medium height, dark , with a small moustache.
(d) He was fat with a ruddy complexion and wore glasses.
3. What did Sokolov teach Gurdjieff?
(a) physics and mathematics
(b) anatomy and physiology
(c) mathematics and geography
(d) Scripture and history
4. What is the title of the anecdote Gurdjieff uses to show the inferiority of modern life to ancient wisdom showing that modern life and literature are poison to the human race.
(a) "The Conversation of Two Crows"
(b) "The Conversation of the Two Sparrows"
(c) "The Conversation of Two Robins"
(d) "The Conversation of Two Swallows"
5. Gurdjieff read books on various subjects written in what languages?
(a) Greek, Turkish and Latin
(b) Greek, Armenian and Russian
(c) Greek, Hebrew and Turko-Tartar
(d) Aramaic, Hebrew and Greek
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Gurdjieff's father forced to become because of life's circumstances?
2. What would Gurdjieff's father do on evenings before Sundays and holidays?
3. Between what ages did Father Borsh feel females were fully developed?
4. What does Pogossian decide to do when they arrive in Alexandria?
5. How does Gurdjieff first meet Dean Borsh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experiment did Bogachevsky and his friends make to prove the validity of spiritualism?
2. What did Father Borsh, Gurdjieff's first tutor, think of the experiment in spiritualism using the table?
3. Describe the Essene Brotherhood.
4. What are Gurdjiefff's thoughts on the grammars of different languages, who composes them and alters them?
5. Why did people consider Father Borsh peculiar?
6. What was the relationship between Gurdjieff's father and Dean Borsh?
7. What does Gurdjieff mean by "word prostitution" in his criticism of contemporary literature?
8. What does Gurdjieff criticize contemporary people for and why?
9. On their expedition to find the Sarmoung Brotherhood what other precious treasure does Gurdjieff find?
10. What did Father Borsh do sometimes for a rest?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)