|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sokolov teach Gurdjieff?
(a) mathematics and geography
(b) anatomy and physiology
(c) Scripture and history
(d) physics and mathematics
2. How did the stories Gurdjieff's father told him influence him in his later life?
(a) he remembered them when he suffered from insomnia
(b) they were a constant reminder of his father and his father's goodness
(c) he told them to his own children
(d) they were a spiritualizing factor, enabling him to comprehend the incomprehensible
3. What state did Gurdjieff experience, according to Mullah Nassr Eddin's words, after many sleepless nights?
(a) "to feel oneself run over by a herd of camels"
(b) "to feel oneself tired to the bone"
(c) "to feel oneself plunged in galoshes to the eyebrows"
(d) "to feel like death warmed over"
4. What did the Yezidis believe?
(a) they will some day take over the world
(b) they are the chosen-ones and have special powers
(c) they cannot leave a circle that is drawn around them
(d) they are suseptible to many diseases
5. What is it impossible to do even if one is an excellent linguist?
(a) think in a foreign language while speaking one's native tongue
(b) speak more than five languages fluently
(c) dream in a foreign language
(d) speak like a native in a foreign language.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Kouzmin?
2. With whom did Gurdjieff's father carry on long conversations about philosophy and theology?
3. How does Gurdjieff sum up the literature of his times?
4. How many books had Gurdjieff first planned to write ?
5. How did Gurdjieff 's father react when misfortunes befell him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gurdjieff go to Alexandropol?
2. When and where did Gurdjieff meet Pogossian?
3. Who was Gurdjieff's first tutor and what position did he hold?
4. Describe an ashokh.
5. What are Gurdjiefff's thoughts on the grammars of different languages, who composes them and alters them?
6. What was the relationship between Gurdjieff's father and Dean Borsh?
7. Describe the Essene Brotherhood.
8. What was Gurdjieff's father's view on the aim of life?
9. What does Gurdjieff criticize contemporary people for and why?
10. What is a gornakh?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)