|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gurjieff didn't see Karpenko after the incident with the girl but when would he hear from him?
(a) He'd receive Christmas presents from him.
(b) He'd hear from him at Easter
(c) He'd receive letters every summer.
(d) He'd receive letters on birthdays and on his Saint's days
2. Where do Gurdjieff and Soloviev travel together?
(a) to the ruins near Alexandropol
(b) to Egypt.
(c) to an ancient monastery in the heart of Asia.
(d) to Russia
3. Upon Yelov's suggestion what scheme did Gurdjieff devise for making a lot of money?
(a) He sold old maps for high prices, saying they were rare
(b) He learned secret recipes and sold them to restaurants
(c) He performed magic tricks
(d) He slyly learned from an Italian how to make plaster casts
4. What are Soloviev's early vices?
(a) gluttony and cruelty to animals
(b) street fighting and gambling
(c) drinking and stealing from his mother
(d) lying and cheating in school
5. How did Yelov view his mother?
(a) He blamed her for his later failures.
(b) He cherished very tender feelings for her.
(c) He was indifferent toward her.
(d) He feared her hot temper.
6. What caused Yelov to lose his wealth as a book and stationery store owner?
(a) He lost everything through gambling
(b) He became ill and couldn't run his business.
(c) the Russian Revolution swept his riches away.
(d) A false friend swindled him.
7. Whom does Skridlov visit in Russia?
(a) his wife
(b) members of the Seekers of Truth
(c) his brother
(d) his two daughters
8. What do Gurdjieff and Skridlov do to be accepted in Bukara where Europeans are hated?
(a) They grow beards in order to pose as holy men
(b) They decide to convert to Islam
(c) They decide to disguise themselves as whirling dervishes
(d) They take lots of money to bribe people
9. What did the Seekers of Truth do at the end of the summer that Gurdjieff spent in Alexandropol?
(a) planned to join him in his experiments with vibrations
(b) planned to join him on a trip to Egypt
(c) planned a trip to Ani, the ancient Armenian captial with him
(d) threw Gurdjieff out of the group
10. Why was Tiflis a good city for Gurdjieff 's purposes?
(a) Many seances were held by mediums in the city.
(b) There were psychics there who understood phenomena.
(c) He was able to obtain any rare book in any language.
(d) There were many ruins around the city for him to explore.
11. How did the Aisors make money?
(a) They sold ancient Christian relics.
(b) They were farmers.
(c) They were book sellers.
(d) They were mostly shepherds.
12. Who wound up with the girl, Gurdjieff or Karpenko?
(a) Another one of their friends who was a neighbor of hers
(b) Karpenko because he brought her sweets and flowers
(c) Gurdjieff because he played the guitar
(d) neither, they both lost interest in her
13. How did Gurdjieff meet Professor Skridlov?
(a) He studied under him in Kars.
(b) He studied under him in Alexandropol.
(c) He worked for him in Armenia.
(d) He became his guide in Egypt.
14. Why did Gurdjieff stay in Ekim Bey's house?
(a) He was working as tutor to Ekim's younger brother.
(b) He was visiting because he was a friend of the family
(c) He was a servant in the Bey household.
(d) He had become ill after diving for Bey's father's chaplet
15. What was Gurdjieff doing when he first met Karpenko?
(a) He was a choir boy at the fortress cathedral.
(b) He was a craftsman in Alexandropol
(c) He was shining shoes in Rome.
(d) He was a tour guide in Egypt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was his father's profession?
2. How did Gurdjieff and Karpenko meet the girl they both fell in love with?
3. What was Abram Yelov's background?
4. How old was the girl whom Gurdjieff and Karpenko fell in love with?
5. Whom does Gurdjieff meet in a billiard hall in New Bukara and what transpires?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)