|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ekim Bey and Gurdjieff do when they reached Old Tashkent?
(a) They sent another wire for money.
(b) They were given room and board with an old dervish.
(c) They waited at the telegraph office for money to arrive
(d) Bey posed as a fakir and Gurdjieff as a sword swallower.
2. How did Gurdjieff meet Abram Yelov?
(a) Yelov was the friend of a friend.
(b) Yelov came to Gurdjieff's aid during a fight.
(c) Yelov was living in the same inn that Gurdjieff lived in
(d) Yelov traded books and Gurdjieff bought books from him
3. Who wound up with the girl, Gurdjieff or Karpenko?
(a) Karpenko because he brought her sweets and flowers
(b) Another one of their friends who was a neighbor of hers
(c) Gurdjieff because he played the guitar
(d) neither, they both lost interest in her
4. What were the Aisors called?
(b) the lost people of Ur
(d) "stealers of crosses"
5. Why does Prince Lubovedsky turn to spiritualism?
(a) His whole family is interested in spiritualism.
(b) He wants to become a medium
(c) A fortune teller tells him he should.
(d) his young wife dies in childbirth and he wants to contact her
6. Where does Gurdjieff meet Professor Skridlov for the second time and what do they do?
(a) They meet on Patmos and explore antiquities.
(b) They meet in Armenia and search for old parchments.
(c) They meet in Thebes and they excavate a tomb together.
(d) THey meet in Russia and discuss their travels.
7. What unique journey do the Seekers of the Truth make at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) They cross the Gobi desert in a unique way.
(b) They travel once more to Egypt and discover treasure.
(c) They travel to the caves of the Tibetans
(d) They cross the Black Sea
8. What did the Seekers of Truth do at the end of the summer that Gurdjieff spent in Alexandropol?
(a) threw Gurdjieff out of the group
(b) planned to join him on a trip to Egypt
(c) planned to join him in his experiments with vibrations
(d) planned a trip to Ani, the ancient Armenian captial with him
9. How and where did Karpenko meet an untimely death?
(a) on a trip through the Himalayas he was wounded by natives
(b) on a trip through the Himalayas he died in an avalanche
(c) on a trip to Egypt he was bitten by an asp
(d) on a trip across the Gobi desert he was bitten by a camel
10. What did Gurdjieff and Karpenko decide to do in order to settle their dispute over the girl?
(a) give her an ultimatum of choosing one of them
(b) fight a duel
(c) enter a singing contest where the winner would win her
(d) ask for her hand in marriage
11. Where do Gurdjieff and Ekim Bey first meet?
(a) in Alexandropol
(b) n Kars
(c) In Constantinople
(d) In Egypt
12. What did Yelov have a great talent for?
(a) learning languages
(b) writing poetry
(c) making speeches
(d) doing magic tricks
13. What are Soloviev's early vices?
(a) street fighting and gambling
(b) gluttony and cruelty to animals
(c) drinking and stealing from his mother
(d) lying and cheating in school
14. What does Gurdjieff do in Rome?
(a) He is a waiter at an inn.
(b) He shines shoes
(c) He sells figurines
(d) He is a fisherman.
15. What did the dervish disapprove of that Gurdjieff did?
(a) He disapproved of Gurdjieff's clothing
(b) He disapproved of Gurdjieff's deceitfulness
(c) He disapproved of Gurdjieff's way of speaking
(d) He disapproved Gurdjieff's practice of Hatha Yoga
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Abram Yelov's background?
2. How does Skirdlov describe himself as he sits on mountaintop at the end of Chapter 10?
3. For whom is Gurdjieff working when he first meets Prince Ludbovedsky?
4. What did Yelov think about his father?
5. What do the two travelers do after their thirst for knowledge is satisfied ?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)