|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ekim Bey and Gurdjieff get permission to do from the police in Old Tashkent ?
(a) to hold seances in the town hall
(b) to hold healing services in a Mosque
(c) to sell religious relics in the outdoor marketplace
(d) to advertise on posters throughout the town.
2. What caused Yelov to lose his wealth as a book and stationery store owner?
(a) He lost everything through gambling
(b) A false friend swindled him.
(c) the Russian Revolution swept his riches away.
(d) He became ill and couldn't run his business.
3. What are Soloviev's early vices?
(a) lying and cheating in school
(b) street fighting and gambling
(c) drinking and stealing from his mother
(d) gluttony and cruelty to animals
4. Why does Prince Lubovedsky turn to spiritualism?
(a) He wants to become a medium
(b) His whole family is interested in spiritualism.
(c) his young wife dies in childbirth and he wants to contact her
(d) A fortune teller tells him he should.
5. How does Skirdlov describe himself as he sits on mountaintop at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) as a puny mortal
(b) as a devote mystic
(c) as a kind of God
(d) as an hysterical woman
6. What had Soloviev been at one time?
(a) a post office employee
(b) a priest
(c) a beggar
(d) a wealthy cattle herder
7. What was his father's profession?
(a) He was an educator at the military academy.
(b) He was a menial laborer.
(c) He was a cattle herder.
(d) He was a rich contractor.
8. What was Ekim Bey interested in?
(a) philosophy and psychology
(b) ancient languages
(c) hypnotism, the human psyche and magic tricks
(d) mathematics and engineering
9. What did Ekim Bey and Gurdjieff do when they reached Old Tashkent?
(a) Bey posed as a fakir and Gurdjieff as a sword swallower.
(b) They waited at the telegraph office for money to arrive
(c) They were given room and board with an old dervish.
(d) They sent another wire for money.
10. How old was the girl whom Gurdjieff and Karpenko fell in love with?
11. What does Gurdjieff do in Rome?
(a) He is a fisherman.
(b) He sells figurines
(c) He shines shoes
(d) He is a waiter at an inn.
12. What happened to Ekim Bey in Suram?
(a) He found an ancient Armenian manuscript.
(b) He became friends witih Gurdjieff and all his friends
(c) He caught pneumonia and nearly died.
(d) He lost a lot of money gambling
13. Who wound up with the girl, Gurdjieff or Karpenko?
(a) Karpenko because he brought her sweets and flowers
(b) neither, they both lost interest in her
(c) Another one of their friends who was a neighbor of hers
(d) Gurdjieff because he played the guitar
14. What diploma did Karpenko obtain in Russia before becoming a member of the Seekers of Truth?
(a) a diploma in psychology
(b) a diploma in foreign languages
(c) a diploma in mathematics
(d) a diploma as a mining engineer
15. What are Skirlov and Gurdjieff invited to visit by the man they meet in Afridis who speaks Greek with Gurdjieff?
(a) a secret school for whirling dervishes
(b) the isle of Patmos where St. John had a revelation
(c) a monastery run by the World Brotherhood deep in Asia
(d) an old Armenian shrine
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Skridlov visit in Russia?
2. Whom does Gurdjieff meet in a billiard hall in New Bukara and what transpires?
3. Whom do Gurdjieff and Skridlov meet in Afridis?
4. How did Gurdjieff meet Professor Skridlov?
5. Upon Yelov's suggestion what scheme did Gurdjieff devise for making a lot of money?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)