|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What finally happens to Vitvitskaia?
(a) She has a child out of wedlock and raises it in Russia.
(b) She takes ill on a journey and dies in Samara.
(c) She travels to North America and settles there.
(d) She marries a wealthy book dealer in Moscow.
2. What had Soloviev been at one time?
(a) a beggar
(b) a wealthy cattle herder
(c) a priest
(d) a post office employee
3. Gurjieff didn't see Karpenko after the incident with the girl but when would he hear from him?
(a) He'd receive letters every summer.
(b) He'd hear from him at Easter
(c) He'd receive letters on birthdays and on his Saint's days
(d) He'd receive Christmas presents from him.
4. Whom does Skridlov visit in Russia?
(a) his brother
(b) his two daughters
(c) his wife
(d) members of the Seekers of Truth
5. What was one of Yelov's peculiar habits?
(a) humming constantly
(b) reciting ancient Greek poems to everyone he met
(c) hitching up his trousers
(d) twitching his ears
6. Upon Yelov's suggestion what scheme did Gurdjieff devise for making a lot of money?
(a) He sold old maps for high prices, saying they were rare
(b) He learned secret recipes and sold them to restaurants
(c) He slyly learned from an Italian how to make plaster casts
(d) He performed magic tricks
7. Why did Gurdjieff stay in Ekim Bey's house?
(a) He was working as tutor to Ekim's younger brother.
(b) He was a servant in the Bey household.
(c) He was visiting because he was a friend of the family
(d) He had become ill after diving for Bey's father's chaplet
8. What religion do Gurdjieff and Skridlov want to find out about?
9. What school was Ekim Bey attending when Gurdjieff met him?
(a) a cathedral choir school in Kars
(b) a military school in Germany
(c) a school of higher eduction in Russia
(d) a school for whirlling dervishes in Turkey
10. How did Gurdjieff meet Professor Skridlov?
(a) He became his guide in Egypt.
(b) He studied under him in Alexandropol.
(c) He studied under him in Kars.
(d) He worked for him in Armenia.
11. How old was the girl whom Gurdjieff and Karpenko fell in love with?
12. When did Gurdjieff meet Karpenko?
(a) in Alexandropol
(b) in Russia when he was middle-aged
(c) during his childhood in Kars
(d) on his trip to Egypt
13. Who wound up with the girl, Gurdjieff or Karpenko?
(a) neither, they both lost interest in her
(b) Karpenko because he brought her sweets and flowers
(c) Another one of their friends who was a neighbor of hers
(d) Gurdjieff because he played the guitar
14. How was Yelov considered by his family?
(a) as the baby of the family
(b) as the black sheep
(c) as the favorite son
(d) as the best-educated in the family
15. How and where did Karpenko meet an untimely death?
(a) on a trip across the Gobi desert he was bitten by a camel
(b) on a trip through the Himalayas he was wounded by natives
(c) on a trip through the Himalayas he died in an avalanche
(d) on a trip to Egypt he was bitten by an asp
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the conclusions Gurdjieff came to which he shares with the reader at the end of Chapter 8?
2. What were Yelov and Pogossian forever doing to each other?
3. Where does Prince Lubovedsky's search take him first?
4. Where do Gurdjieff and Soloviev travel together?
5. How does Gurdjieff's opinion about Vitvitskaia change?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)