|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Soloviev's early vices?
(a) drinking and stealing from his mother
(b) gluttony and cruelty to animals
(c) lying and cheating in school
(d) street fighting and gambling
2. How did Gurdjieff meet Professor Skridlov?
(a) He studied under him in Kars.
(b) He became his guide in Egypt.
(c) He worked for him in Armenia.
(d) He studied under him in Alexandropol.
3. How did Yelov view his mother?
(a) He blamed her for his later failures.
(b) He feared her hot temper.
(c) He cherished very tender feelings for her.
(d) He was indifferent toward her.
4. What were the Aisors called?
(b) "stealers of crosses"
(c) the lost people of Ur
5. What did Gurdjieff and Karpenko decide to do in order to settle their dispute over the girl?
(a) enter a singing contest where the winner would win her
(b) ask for her hand in marriage
(c) give her an ultimatum of choosing one of them
(d) fight a duel
6. What caused Yelov to lose his wealth as a book and stationery store owner?
(a) the Russian Revolution swept his riches away.
(b) A false friend swindled him.
(c) He became ill and couldn't run his business.
(d) He lost everything through gambling
7. How did Gurdjieff and Karpenko meet the girl they both fell in love with?
(a) She attended the same school they attended.
(b) She was the sister of one of their friends.
(c) She was the daughter of their tutor.
(d) She sold flowers in the marketplace.
8. For whom is Gurdjieff working when he first meets Prince Ludbovedsky?
(a) for Dean Borsh
(b) for his father
(c) for the English on a ship anchored at Alexandria
(d) for the Russian archaeologist Skridlov
9. What town, inaccessible to Europeans, do Skridlov and Gurdjieff want to go to after visiting Bukara?
10. Where do Gurdjieff and Soloviev travel together?
(a) to Egypt.
(b) to the ruins near Alexandropol
(c) to an ancient monastery in the heart of Asia.
(d) to Russia
11. How does Gurdjieff earn money in Constantinople?
(a) selling sausages
(b) diving for coins tossed from ships
(c) selling Christian relics
(d) telling fortunes
12. What was Ekim Bey interested in?
(a) philosophy and psychology
(b) ancient languages
(c) hypnotism, the human psyche and magic tricks
(d) mathematics and engineering
13. What school was Ekim Bey attending when Gurdjieff met him?
(a) a military school in Germany
(b) a school of higher eduction in Russia
(c) a school for whirlling dervishes in Turkey
(d) a cathedral choir school in Kars
14. What was Gurdjieff doing in Alexandropol when Karpenko stopped off to see him?
(a) studying the influence of vibrations on living things
(b) studying ancient languages
(c) studying spiritualism
(d) studying to be a hypnotist
15. Where does Prince Lubovedsky's search take him first?
(a) to the Gobi desert
(b) to Kars
(c) to Egypt
(d) to Alexandropol
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Skirdlov describe himself as he sits on mountaintop at the end of Chapter 10?
2. What happened to Ekim Bey in Suram?
3. What did the dervish disapprove of that Gurdjieff did?
4. What does Gurdjieff agree to do for Prince Lubovedsky?
5. What does Gurdjieff learn from the dervish?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)