|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did Gurdjieff's father carry on long conversations about philosophy and theology?
(a) with his brother, Gurdjieff's beloved uncle
(b) with his close friend, Ivan Ivanovich
(c) with Gurdjieff himself
(d) with Gurdjieff's first tutor, Dean Borsh
2. What did Father Borsh think that the gratification of lust before adulthood would do to a youth?
(a) make a man of him
(b) turn him into a monstrosity
(c) drive him insane
(d) stunt his growth
3. What did Pogossian's parents do for a living?
(a) His father was a potter, his mother a seamstress.
(b) His father was a teacher, his mother a laundress.
(c) His father was a merchant, his mother a housewife.
(d) His father was a dyer, his mother an embroideress in gold
4. What was an ashokh which Gurdjieff's father was?
(a) a bard who composed, recited or sang songs, poems, etc.
(b) a farmer owning a large herd of either cattle or sheep
(c) a musician who played an instrument unique to Turkey
(d) a skilled craftsman in many countries of the Transcaucasia
5. What treasure did Gurdjieff secretly get from the Armenian priest?
(a) a copy of an ancient Armenian parchment
(b) an ancient map of Armenian treasure caves
(c) a copy he makes from an ancient map of "pre-sand Egypt"
(d) an ancient parchment with esoteric secrets
6. What did Bogachevsky counsel men to do in order to live a moral life?
(a) a man should travel the world and observe people
(b) a man should study many subjects and become educated
(c) a man should follow his own conscience and not heed others
(d) a man should try to please others
7. What language did the bards sing when they competed in contests?
8. Besides having an accident with a firearm, what other prediction of the fortuneteller came true about Gurdjieff?
(a) Gurdjieff came down with pneumonia.
(b) Gurdjieff fell ill with a high fever
(c) A large sore, a carbuncle, appeared on Gurdjieff's side
(d) A severe rash broke out all over Gurdjieff's body
9. What does Pogossian decide to do when they arrive in Alexandria?
(a) He decides to become a tour guide along with Gurdjieff
(b) He decides to steal the copy of "pre-sand Egypt"
(c) He decides to stay on the ship, working in the engine room
(d) He decides to return home to Turkey
10. What was Gurdjieff's father forced to become because of life's circumstances?
(a) a professional carpenter
(b) a fisherman
(c) a store keeper
(d) a farmer
11. What did Krestovsky teach Gurdjieff?
(a) anatomy and psychology
(b) history and geography
(c) Scripture and Russian
(d) mathematics and physiology
12. According to Father Borsh what two things should a priest be able to do for the members of his flock?
(a) teach them Scripture and pray for them
(b) give them Holy Communion and perform marriages etc.
(c) care for their souls and cure their physical diseases
(d) be an example for them of holiness and teach Scripture
13. What did Sokolov teach Gurdjieff?
(a) mathematics and geography
(b) Scripture and history
(c) physics and mathematics
(d) anatomy and physiology
14. How does Gurdjieff remember Pogossian?
(a) as a simple man with a deep faith
(b) as a fellow adventurer who never achieved his goals
(c) as a lazy but dear friend
(d) as a workaholic who became a wealthy ship owner
15. What did Pogossian do after graduating from the seminary?
(a) He became a teacher at the seminary.
(b) He married and became a priest with his own parish.
(c) He worked with Gurdjieff at the railway station as a locksmith
(d) He left the church and studied languages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Gurdjieff's family first intended him to be?
2. Between what ages did Father Borsh feel females were fully developed?
3. When did Gurdjieff meet Pogossian and become friends with him?
4. What was Gurdjieff's purpose in traveling to Echmiadzin?
5. What legend did Gurdjieff's father and Dean Borsh discuss all night while Gurdjieff and his uncle listened to them?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)