|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Gurdjieff's youngest niece supposed to do for him?
(a) see that his Arabian coffee did not become cold in the cup
(b) bring him cold drinks
(c) sing to him while he sat under the trees
(d) fan him with a palm fan while he was working in the heat.
2. What kind of education was Father Borsh in favor of having Gurdjieff pursue?
(a) a medical education
(b) the priesthood
(c) a practical education in woodworking
(d) a military education
3. Why did Gurdjieff go to Alexandropol?
(a) to earn money where he was known as a good craftsman
(b) to go on a vacation after his first years of study
(c) to study with another tutor
(d) to visit his family
4. What did Sokolov teach Gurdjieff?
(a) anatomy and physiology
(b) physics and mathematics
(c) Scripture and history
(d) mathematics and geography
5. Who was Vseslavsky?
(a) Bogachevsky's brother-in-law
(b) a fellow-countryman of Bogachevsky and an army engineer
(c) Bogachevsky's childhood friend
(d) an army chaplain friend of Bogchevsky
6. What did Gurdjieff propose to do in his second book, "Meetings with Remarkable Men"?
(a) write a sort of travel log of his travels through exotic lands
(b) create a consciousness devoid of illusions in people like himself
(c) build up his ego, describing all his accomplishments
(d) write an entertaining book, enjoyable to everyone
7. When did Gurdjieff meet Pogossian and become friends with him?
(a) in Paldevan during his vacation
(b) in Kars during his childhood
(c) when Pogossian was finishing his seminary studies
(d) in Baku on a trip
8. In which towns did Gurdjieff's family live during his childhood?
(a) Kabul and Baku
(b) Alexandropol and Kars
(c) Karabakh and Alexandropol
(d) Baku and Van
9. Between what ages did Father Borsh feel a male was fully developed?
(a) between the ages of nineteen and twenty-two
(b) between the ages of nineteen and twenty-one
(c) between the ages of eighteen and twenty
(d) between the ages of twenty and twenty-three
10. With whom did Bogachevsky share lodgings?
(b) Dean Borsh
11. How many books had Gurdjieff first planned to write ?
12. What subjects did Ponomarenko teach Gurdjieff?
(a) philosophy and Turkish
(b) mathematics and history
(c) Russian and geography
(d) geography and history
13. What phenomenon do Bogachevsky and his friends experiment with?
(a) "table turning"--laying hands on a table and asking it questions
(b) disappearing rabbits
(c) summoning spirits from the dead using a medium
(d) divining people's names by holding their hands
14. How does Gurdjieff sum up the literature of his times?
(a) "it's based on sensationalism"
(b) "it has no soul"
(c) "it's trendy"
(d) "it's quite varied"
15. What did Father Borsh think that the gratification of lust before adulthood would do to a youth?
(a) make a man of him
(b) turn him into a monstrosity
(c) stunt his growth
(d) drive him insane
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Gurdjieff 's father react when misfortunes befell him?
2. Gurdjieff read books on various subjects written in what languages?
3. In whose house did Gurdjieff and Pogossian stay in the city of N?
4. What was Ani?
5. According to Gurdjieff, contemporary literature falls into which three categories?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)