|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the "Sarmoung"?
(a) A famous esoteric school which Gurdjieff and Pogassian seek
(b) A garment worn by an Armenian priest
(c) A city in ancient Mesopotamia
(d) An ancient scroll from the Dead Sea.
2. What did Bogachevsky counsel men to do in order to live a moral life?
(a) a man should study many subjects and become educated
(b) a man should follow his own conscience and not heed others
(c) a man should try to please others
(d) a man should travel the world and observe people
3. In whose house did Gurdjieff and Pogossian stay in the city of N?
(a) in the house of a Kurdish shepherd
(b) in the house of an Armenian farmer
(c) in the house of a Russian prince
(d) in the house of an Armenian priest
4. On their expedition in search of the school run by the Sarmoung Brotherhood what experience causes Gurdjieff and Pogossian
great fear but then hilarious laughter?
(a) threatening peasants suddenly start laughing
(b) a wide river crossing turns out to be extemely shallow
(c) two traveling bandits turn out to be friendly clowns
(d) fierce threatening dogs sit now quiety when they sit down
5. When did Gurdjieff meet Pogossian and become friends with him?
(a) in Kars during his childhood
(b) in Paldevan during his vacation
(c) in Baku on a trip
(d) when Pogossian was finishing his seminary studies
6. What is it impossible to do even if one is an excellent linguist?
(a) speak more than five languages fluently
(b) speak like a native in a foreign language.
(c) dream in a foreign language
(d) think in a foreign language while speaking one's native tongue
7. What subjects did Ponomarenko teach Gurdjieff?
(a) philosophy and Turkish
(b) mathematics and history
(c) Russian and geography
(d) geography and history
8. What legend did Gurdjieff's father and Dean Borsh discuss all night while Gurdjieff and his uncle listened to them?
(a) the legend of the "Flood before the Flood"
(b) the legend of "the Secret of the Gobi Desert"
(c) the legend of "the Creation of the World"
(d) the legend of " The Lost City of Babul"
9. Where did the second contest that Gurdjieff witnessed take place?
(a) Karabakh in Azerbaijan
(b) Istanbul in Turkey
(c) Baku in Turkey
10. With whom did Bogachevsky share lodgings?
(c) Dean Borsh
11. When did Gurdjieff meet Bogachevsky?
(a) when Bogachevsky was old and intending to retire
(b) when Bogachevsky was young and about to become a priest
(c) when Gurdjieff traveled to Russia
(d) when Bogachevsky was ill
12. What did Pogossian's parents do for a living?
(a) His father was a dyer, his mother an embroideress in gold
(b) His father was a teacher, his mother a laundress.
(c) His father was a merchant, his mother a housewife.
(d) His father was a potter, his mother a seamstress.
13. What did Dean Borsh teach Gurdjieff?
(a) history and other subjects
(b) Scripture and other subjects
(c) mathematics and other subjects
(d) geography and other subjects
14. What was Gurdjieff's youngest niece supposed to do for him?
(a) see that his Arabian coffee did not become cold in the cup
(b) sing to him while he sat under the trees
(c) bring him cold drinks
(d) fan him with a palm fan while he was working in the heat.
15. In which towns did Gurdjieff's family live during his childhood?
(a) Kabul and Baku
(b) Baku and Van
(c) Karabakh and Alexandropol
(d) Alexandropol and Kars
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Kouzmin?
2. What did Father Borsh think that the gratification of lust before adulthood would do to a youth?
3. How does Gurdjieff first meet Dean Borsh?
4. What did Sokolov teach Gurdjieff?
5. What was Ani?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)