|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was allowed access to Father Borsh's room?
(a) Any students at the Kars Military Cathedral
(b) Anyone seeking help or advice
(c) Gurdjieff and Gurdjieff's father
(d) Gurdjieff and Father Borsh's orderly
2. What did Gurdjieff propose to do in his second book, "Meetings with Remarkable Men"?
(a) build up his ego, describing all his accomplishments
(b) create a consciousness devoid of illusions in people like himself
(c) write an entertaining book, enjoyable to everyone
(d) write a sort of travel log of his travels through exotic lands
3. On their expedition in search of the school run by the Sarmoung Brotherhood what experience causes Gurdjieff and Pogossian
great fear but then hilarious laughter?
(a) fierce threatening dogs sit now quiety when they sit down
(b) a wide river crossing turns out to be extemely shallow
(c) two traveling bandits turn out to be friendly clowns
(d) threatening peasants suddenly start laughing
4. What did Sokolov teach Gurdjieff?
(a) physics and mathematics
(b) mathematics and geography
(c) Scripture and history
(d) anatomy and physiology
5. What was awakened in Gurdjieff while listening to Bogachevsky and his friends' discussions around the
(a) a feeling of inferiority when he compared himself with them
(b) an interest in mathematics
(c) an interest in becoming a member of the Essene Brotherhood
(d) an interest in abstract questions and spiritualism
6. What treasure did Gurdjieff secretly get from the Armenian priest?
(a) a copy he makes from an ancient map of "pre-sand Egypt"
(b) an ancient map of Armenian treasure caves
(c) an ancient parchment with esoteric secrets
(d) a copy of an ancient Armenian parchment
7. What was Gurdjieff's father forced to become because of life's circumstances?
(a) a professional carpenter
(b) a store keeper
(c) a fisherman
(d) a farmer
8. What subjects did Ponomarenko teach Gurdjieff?
(a) mathematics and history
(b) Russian and geography
(c) geography and history
(d) philosophy and Turkish
9. What position did Gurdjieff's first tutor hold?
(a) He was the dean of a university
(b) He was a priest in Gurdjieff's church
(c) He was dean of the Kars Military Cathedral
(d) He was bishop of the Kars Cathedral
10. Who was Vseslavsky?
(a) an army chaplain friend of Bogchevsky
(b) Bogachevsky's childhood friend
(c) Bogachevsky's brother-in-law
(d) a fellow-countryman of Bogachevsky and an army engineer
11. How does Gurdjieff sum up the literature of his times?
(a) "it's trendy"
(b) "it has no soul"
(c) "it's based on sensationalism"
(d) "it's quite varied"
12. What did Pogossian's parents do for a living?
(a) His father was a potter, his mother a seamstress.
(b) His father was a teacher, his mother a laundress.
(c) His father was a merchant, his mother a housewife.
(d) His father was a dyer, his mother an embroideress in gold
13. Why did Gurdjieff go to Alexandropol?
(a) to study with another tutor
(b) to earn money where he was known as a good craftsman
(c) to visit his family
(d) to go on a vacation after his first years of study
14. What was Father Borsh's view about a youth before he attained adulthood?
(a) He was responsible for his acts.
(b) He wasn't responsible for any of his acts
(c) He should be severely punished for wrong doing
(d) He was a non-entity.
15. Besides having an accident with a firearm, what other prediction of the fortuneteller came true about Gurdjieff?
(a) A large sore, a carbuncle, appeared on Gurdjieff's side
(b) A severe rash broke out all over Gurdjieff's body
(c) Gurdjieff came down with pneumonia.
(d) Gurdjieff fell ill with a high fever
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Father Borsh look like?
2. Where was Sarkis Pogossian born and of what race was he?
3. What was the title of the first book in Gurdjieff's series?
4. Why did the subject of spiritualism make a strong impression on Gurdjieff?
5. When was the Essene Brotherhood established?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)