|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Ekim Bey.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the subject of spiritualism make a strong impression on Gurdjieff?
(a) because of the recent death of his favorite sister
(b) because he wanted to take part in a seance
(c) because he wanted to believe in immortality
(d) because his dead sister appeared to him in a dream
2. In whose house did Gurdjieff and Pogossian stay in the city of N?
(a) in the house of an Armenian priest
(b) in the house of an Armenian farmer
(c) in the house of a Kurdish shepherd
(d) in the house of a Russian prince
3. How did the stories Gurdjieff's father told him influence him in his later life?
(a) he remembered them when he suffered from insomnia
(b) they were a spiritualizing factor, enabling him to comprehend the incomprehensible
(c) he told them to his own children
(d) they were a constant reminder of his father and his father's goodness
4. What did Yelov have a great talent for?
(a) making speeches
(b) writing poetry
(c) learning languages
(d) doing magic tricks
5. What is one of the conclusions Gurdjieff came to which he shares with the reader at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) no one in Europe knows or has any idea about Asia
(b) he liked living in Kars the best
(c) Europians are superior to Asians
(d) none of his many friends have the answers to his questions
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Ekim Bey in Suram?
2. What did Father Borsh look like?
3. What does Gurdjieff learn from the dervish?
4. Why does Gurdjieff criticize newspaper literary critics?
5. What was awakened in Gurdjieff while listening to Bogachevsky and his friends' discussions around the samovar?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)