|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, My Father.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state did Gurdjieff experience, according to Mullah Nassr Eddin's words, after many sleepless nights?
(a) "to feel oneself run over by a herd of camels"
(b) "to feel like death warmed over"
(c) "to feel oneself tired to the bone"
(d) "to feel oneself plunged in galoshes to the eyebrows"
2. What, in Gurdjieff's opinion, has harmed contemporary literature?
(a) the grammars of all languages
(b) readers who are easily taken in by inferior, sensational writing
(c) not enough good writers
(d) writers seeking fame rather than quality
3. How did the stories Gurdjieff's father told him influence him in his later life?
(a) they were a constant reminder of his father and his father's goodness
(b) he told them to his own children
(c) he remembered them when he suffered from insomnia
(d) they were a spiritualizing factor, enabling him to comprehend the incomprehensible
4. What tendency of his father's nature was defined by Gurdieff as virtuous?
(a) his father didn't take advantage of people's naivete or bad luck
(b) His father was extremely reliable in his business dealings
(c) His father was loyal to his family and friends
(d) His father never told a lie
5. Where did the second contest that Gurdjieff witnessed take place?
(a) Karabakh in Azerbaijan
(b) Baku in Turkey
(c) Istanbul in Turkey
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gurdjieff sum up the literature of his times?
2. How did Gurdjieff's father lose his fortune as the richest cattle owner in Armenia?
3. What was Gurdjieff's father forced to become because of life's circumstances?
4. How did Gurdjieff 's father react when misfortunes befell him?
5. Where did Gurdjieff''s father come from?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)