|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How well do Medea's enchantments appear to work in the play?
2. How does the chorus feel about Jason after hearing of the deaths?
3. Which women do the chorus believe are the luckiest?
4. What might motivate the kings to come after Medea even if she's under Aegeus' protection?
5. What wins the princess over to being willing to help Jason's children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Medea's power as a sorceress is reinforced at several junctures throughout the play. Examine how her magical ability influences the believability and sympathetic qualities of the character.
Essay Topic 2
Creon has a small amount of time on-stage, and yet his presence is important throughout the play. Discuss the importance of Creon as a character and thematic support within the play.
Essay Topic 3
Medea invokes the goddess Hecate as she formulates her plan for revenge. Examine why Euripides chooses to link this goddess with his protagonist, being sure to cover the following points; What is Hecate known for; why would Medea turn to this particular goddess; are there similarities between Medea and Hecate; does invoking this goddess alter how the audience views Medea?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)