|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Medea promise Jason she will do after she sees him the second time?
2. How does Medea convince Jason to give her gifts to his new wife?
3. Who does Medea beg Jason to enlist in supporting his plea to Creon?
4. Why did Aegeus visit the oracle?
5. How does Medea feel when she hears how her plan worked?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure and role of the classical Greek play, being sure to address the following: Is there a particular format a tragedy was to follow; what did audiences expect to receive when going to see a play in ancient Greece; were the plays used primarily for storytelling, or was there also another purpose?
Essay Topic 2
It appears as though, sympathetic or not, Medea is representing a type of "Everywoman" character. Argue for whether you believe Medea does or does not effectively represent an "Everywoman", using specific supporting details from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Medea is an unusual character for her time, particularly given that she seems to control the atmosphere around her and is certainly in control of the action of the scenes she is in. Examine the power dynamics between Medea and the other characters in the play. Use specific details of Medea's relationship and power struggle with at least three other characters.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)