|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Medea say Jason should forgive her?
2. What title does Aegeus hold?
3. What does Medea promise Jason she will do after she sees him the second time?
4. How does Medea convince Jason to give her gifts to his new wife?
5. Which women do the chorus believe are the luckiest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Medea's decision to kill her children does not come easily, and she has a very intense monologue in which she debates her decision. Analyze the content of the monologue, and the justification for Medea's ultimate decision.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author portray women throughout the play? Use at least three character examples (either onstage or discussed) and examine whether this portrayal matches the attitudes of ancient Greece or is a departure from social norms.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structure and role of the classical Greek play, being sure to address the following: Is there a particular format a tragedy was to follow; what did audiences expect to receive when going to see a play in ancient Greece; were the plays used primarily for storytelling, or was there also another purpose?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)