|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Aegeus going to see his friend?
2. Whom else does Medea decide to kill after Aegeus leaves?
3. What happens when Medea puts her children's hands in Jason's?
4. What role does Medea think she should play in Jason's new marriage?
5. Who decides on the oath Aegeus swears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author portray women throughout the play? Use at least three character examples (either onstage or discussed) and examine whether this portrayal matches the attitudes of ancient Greece or is a departure from social norms.
Essay Topic 2
Medea has been a reviled character as long as the myth has been known, and yet Euripides clearly attempts to make the character sympathetic. Discuss the various methods the author uses to elicit audience sympathy for Medea, using specific details and examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Medea is largely reviled as a character because of her decision to kill her children. Discuss the motivation behind her decision to commit filicide, and whether the author sufficiently justifies her actions to make her a heroine with whom audiences can identify.
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)