|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which women do the chorus believe are the luckiest?
2. Why is Medea advised to flee Corinth?
3. Who does Medea beg Jason to enlist in supporting his plea to Creon?
4. How does Medea appear to Aegeus?
5. What might motivate the kings to come after Medea even if she's under Aegeus' protection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Medea invokes the goddess Hecate as she formulates her plan for revenge. Examine why Euripides chooses to link this goddess with his protagonist, being sure to cover the following points; What is Hecate known for; why would Medea turn to this particular goddess; are there similarities between Medea and Hecate; does invoking this goddess alter how the audience views Medea?
Essay Topic 2
Aegeus introduces the concept of an oracle to the play. Examine the role of the oracle and the important role this concept plays within the context of the play.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author portray women throughout the play? Use at least three character examples (either onstage or discussed) and examine whether this portrayal matches the attitudes of ancient Greece or is a departure from social norms.
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)