|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the poison affect Creon?
2. How does Medea convince Jason to give her gifts to his new wife?
3. How does Medea react to the news that her children can stay in Corinth?
4. How does Jason react now that he thinks he's getting his way?
5. What happens when Medea puts her children's hands in Jason's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shed light on how the "deus ex machina" mechanic is used by the author to change the audience's perception of Medea and her behavior. Does this seem natural within the play or contrived? Is it effective as a method for changing the audience's perception of the character?
Essay Topic 2
It appears as though, sympathetic or not, Medea is representing a type of "Everywoman" character. Argue for whether you believe Medea does or does not effectively represent an "Everywoman", using specific supporting details from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
"Medea" is a very difficult play to read and produce because the subject material is so horrific to audiences. Examine what it is about filicide that makes it so much worse than other types of violence within a family unit. Does this help or hinder the development of themes within the play?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)