|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Medea say Jason should forgive her?
2. According to the chorus, who is the only other woman to have killed her own child?
3. How does Medea plan to kill the princess?
4. How does Jason feel about Medea's new decision?
5. Is Medea always firmly resolved that she should kill her children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family dynamics in "Medea" run the gamut from casual disinterest to compassionate love and then violent attachment. Examine the varying natures of family within the context of the play, using at least two families as examples. Why does the author choose to create these dynamics? What point is he making?
Essay Topic 2
Medea's decision to kill her children does not come easily, and she has a very intense monologue in which she debates her decision. Analyze the content of the monologue, and the justification for Medea's ultimate decision.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how "deus ex machina" is used in classical Greek plays. What is the purpose of the mechanic? How common is it? Why would an author choose to use this mechanic?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)