|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Medea always firmly resolved that she should kill her children?
2. How long should it take the princess to die?
3. What does the poison do to the princess's body?
4. What does Medea want to know about the deaths she caused?
5. Why does Medea call her children out during her second scene with Jason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure and role of the classical Greek play, being sure to address the following: Is there a particular format a tragedy was to follow; what did audiences expect to receive when going to see a play in ancient Greece; were the plays used primarily for storytelling, or was there also another purpose?
Essay Topic 2
The chorus plays an integral role within "Medea" and many classic Greek plays. Discuss this role, considering the following: What was the primary function of the chorus; how were the lines of the chorus delivered, and why was that delivery used; what is the interaction between the audience and the chorus?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author portray women throughout the play? Use at least three character examples (either onstage or discussed) and examine whether this portrayal matches the attitudes of ancient Greece or is a departure from social norms.
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)