|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Medea think she should play in Jason's new marriage?
2. Who returns with the children after they go with Jason to plead their case?
3. When does Medea promise she will leave Corinth for good?
4. Why is Aegeus near Medea's house?
5. How well do Medea's enchantments appear to work in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Medea has been a reviled character as long as the myth has been known, and yet Euripides clearly attempts to make the character sympathetic. Discuss the various methods the author uses to elicit audience sympathy for Medea, using specific details and examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Medea is an unusual character for her time, particularly given that she seems to control the atmosphere around her and is certainly in control of the action of the scenes she is in. Examine the power dynamics between Medea and the other characters in the play. Use specific details of Medea's relationship and power struggle with at least three other characters.
Essay Topic 3
Aegeus introduces the concept of an oracle to the play. Examine the role of the oracle and the important role this concept plays within the context of the play.
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)