|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reaction does the Nurse have to Medea's pain?
2. Who does Medea curse when she hears the news about the plans for her and her children?
3. What did Medea persuade the king's daughters to do in order to let Jason leave with the Fleece?
4. What does the chorus express about Medea's anger toward Jason?
5. Why does Jason say dealing with Medea is hopeless?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the Tutor's statement "that everyone loves himself more than his neighbor"?
2. Medea comments that the only thing stronger than her sorrow is her fury. Is the author making a point here about women in general, or is this merely the character affirming the decision she has made?
3. Is Creon's naming of Medea as a "clever witch" supposed to be taken literally or figuratively?
4. Why does the author make sure to establish the fact that women are treated poorly by men?
5. Given that the audience would typically know the story before going to a play, why do you think the author chose to begin the play with heavy exposition?
6. Why does the King of Corinth think it is a good idea to send Medea into exile?
7. Analyze Medea's monologue in which she vacillates between killing her children and sparing their lives.
8. What is the significance, in the first scene, of the Nurse urging the children to hide from their mother until her anger has passed?
9. Why does Medea refuse to give Jason the bodies of their children?
10. What makes Medea's anger and despair seem so untoward to the Chorus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Medea" is a very difficult play to read and produce because the subject material is so horrific to audiences. Examine what it is about filicide that makes it so much worse than other types of violence within a family unit. Does this help or hinder the development of themes within the play?
Essay Topic 2
Medea's power as a sorceress is reinforced at several junctures throughout the play. Examine how her magical ability influences the believability and sympathetic qualities of the character.
Essay Topic 3
How is betrayal handled as a theme in the play? Be sure to include specific details of which characters betray one another, and whether there are patterns at play. What point is the author trying to make about betrayal?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)