|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Jason agreed to do while Medea and her children are in exile?
2. What makes Creon sympathetic as a character?
3. What attitude does Jason have towards Medea when he appears?
4. How does Medea think women generally feel?
5. What is the Nurse's reaction when she learns what Jason thinks about the plan involving Medea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is there merit to Medea's final justification to the chorus about why she must kill her children? Why or why not?
2. The ode from the chorus after Medea's monologue seems a bit misplaced, as though they are not speaking about Medea at all. What do you think is the purpose of this choral piece?
3. Is Creon's naming of Medea as a "clever witch" supposed to be taken literally or figuratively?
4. What literary function does the Nurse serve by opening the play?
5. Why does the King of Corinth think it is a good idea to send Medea into exile?
6. Knowing her plans for her children, why do you think Medea asks Jason to beg Creon to allow them to stay?
7. What makes Medea's comment about Jason living as a nobody particularly cutting?
8. Medea is clearly a very proud character, so what do you think motivates her to beg Creon on her knees for more time before being forced into exile?
9. What does the author mean with the quote "no other soul can hold so many thoughts of blood"?
10. What is significant about the way Creon encountered the poison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how "deus ex machina" is used in classical Greek plays. What is the purpose of the mechanic? How common is it? Why would an author choose to use this mechanic?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use the structure of the play to his benefit by using the audience's imagination when dealing with horrific acts? Argue for or against this structure as effective, drawing on details from the text and the research you have done over the course of the play's analysis into classical Greek plays.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least two methods of delivering exposition throughout the play, and argue for which method is the most efficient and best connects with the audience.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)