|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jason offer Medea towards the end of their argument?
(a) A golden ring to sell for money.
(b) An opportunity to stay in the city.
(c) Money to support herself and the children.
2. Why is Medea being banished?
(a) Jason's new wife doesn't like having her around.
(b) Creon doesn't like her because she's a foreigner.
(c) She has had an affair and that is the punishment.
(d) Creon is afraid of her and what she'll do.
3. What does Jason think influences women's judgment?
(a) The sun, the moon, and the tides of the sea.
(b) Their inability to see reason.
(c) The warmth and intimacy of love..
(d) Other women and children.
4. What does Medea think about the way women are treated by men in Greece?
(a) They are treated well enough.
(b) They are treated with the same tolerance as children.
(c) They are treated very badly in general.
(d) They are treated worse than slaves.
5. Which character caused Medea's rage?
(a) The Nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creon, despite his actions, believe compassion leads to?
2. What does the Nurse feel is best for people?
3. When did Medea kill for Jason?
4. Why doesn't Creon trust Medea's reasons for allowing her to stay?
5. What country is the myth of Medea from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you agree or disagree with Creon's decision to banish Medea? Why or why not?
2. What is revealed in the argument between Medea and Jason about who loved their children more?
3. What is significant about the Tutor's statement "that everyone loves himself more than his neighbor"?
4. Why is it significant that Medea is overcome with tears when she puts the children's hands into Jason's?
5. How does the King of Corinth model the theme of selfishness that Euripides introduces in the first scene?
6. How is Jason's behavior different the second time he speaks with Medea?
7. What is the purpose of the chorus ending the play by commenting on the mysterious ways of the gods?
8. Why does Medea refuse to give Jason the bodies of their children?
9. What are the primary differences between Jason and Medea during their argument?
10. Why is Medea's position as an outsider in Corinth so important to her and the chorus?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)