Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Medea promise she won't hurt Creon?
(a) He has been a friend to her and she wouldn't betray his trust.
(b) She is afraid of him and his soldiers.
(c) He is too powerful and if she tried she would surely fail.
(d) He is only a father giving away his daughter to a good man.
2. Why does Medea say Creon's mercy was foolish?
(a) One day isn't enough time for her to take care of her children.
(b) Showing mercy is a sign of weakness.
(c) One day is enough time to exact her revenge.
(d) It gives her enough time to break up Jason and his new wife.
3. What has Creon's experience been with showing mercy?
(a) It gets him into trouble.
(b) It makes him look weak.
(c) It yields large rewards in terms of public opinion.
(d) It makes him many new friends.
4. What two characters are getting divorced?
(a) Jason and Medea.
(b) Medea and Creon.
(c) Aegeus and Medea.
(d) Jason and Hecate.
5. Which character caused Medea's rage?
(d) The Nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would Medea like the gods to place a mark on men?
2. Why does the Nurse send the children inside after hearing the Tutor's news?
3. Why does Jason claim Medea should think his plan is good?
4. Why does Medea believe Jason looked for another woman?
5. Who appears to check on Medea after hearing her cries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you agree or disagree with Creon's decision to banish Medea? Why or why not?
2. Does the Nurse find Medea sympathetic? Why or why not?
3. How is Jason's behavior different the second time he speaks with Medea?
4. Why do you think Euripides chooses to portray Jason as completely cavalier to the effect of his behavior on Medea?
5. What do you think the messenger means when he says the princess "smiled at the lifeless image of herself" in the mirror?
6. What is the significance, in the first scene, of the Nurse urging the children to hide from their mother until her anger has passed?
7. What motivates Medea to take her revenge further than killing Jason's bride?
8. Describe how the princess and Creon die.
9. Why would Medea believe that Jason was embarrassed by her?
10. Based on their conversation, do you find Medea's anger more justified? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)