|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character has the strongest position in Part 3?
2. What would the chorus like Medea to do when they first arrive?
(a) Stop crying and tend her children.
(b) Find a way to revenge herself against her husband.
(c) Go back to her homeland and leave her children behind.
(d) Come out so they can comfort her.
3. What is the purpose of the first section of the play?
(a) To introduce every character in the play.
(b) To make the audience laugh before the tragedy begins.
(c) To offer background information.
(d) To apologize for any parts the audience may not like.
4. Why does the author emphasize several times that Medea is a "stranger in a strange land"?
(a) It makes her character more sympathetic.
(b) It makes it easier to see why she doesn't have many friends.
(c) It shows that she might not understand that murder is illegal.
(d) It reveals that Jason probably left her due to cultural differences.
5. Why doesn't Creon trust Medea's reasons for allowing her to stay?
(a) She sounds too angry to be able to live there peacefully.
(b) They don't sound real to him.
(c) He thinks she is clever enough to be manipulative.
(d) He has heard stories about her and thinks she is a liar.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Medea think women generally feel?
2. To whom does the Nurse say Medea cries for comfort?
3. Why does Medea believe Jason looked for another woman?
4. Why does Medea think Jason is a coward?
5. What does Medea think about women who have been wronged by a lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the chorus have pity for the princess? Is it justified by the text?
2. Why is it significant that Medea is overcome with tears when she puts the children's hands into Jason's?
3. What makes Medea's anger and despair seem so untoward to the Chorus?
4. Based on their conversation, do you find Medea's anger more justified? Why or why not?
5. Do you agree or disagree with Creon's decision to banish Medea? Why or why not?
6. What similarities are evident in the characters of Jason and Medea?
7. What literary function does the Nurse serve by opening the play?
8. Why does the King of Corinth think it is a good idea to send Medea into exile?
9. Why does Medea refuse to give Jason the bodies of their children?
10. Does the descriptions of the poison's effect lend credence to the idea that it was magical in nature?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)