|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would the chorus like Medea to do when they first arrive?
(a) Find a way to revenge herself against her husband.
(b) Go back to her homeland and leave her children behind.
(c) Stop crying and tend her children.
(d) Come out so they can comfort her.
2. What is Jason's reaction to the plan involving Medea?
(a) He is ready to go along with it.
(b) He is furious and stands up for his wife.
(c) He wants to come up with a better plan.
(d) He doesn't know what's being plotted.
3. What will happen if Medea and her children are in Corinth at sunrise in two days?
(a) They will be allowed to stay for the festival.
(b) They will be forcibly banished.
(c) They will be killed.
(d) Jason will have to claim them as his family.
4. Why does the Nurse think Medea will refuse to exit her home?
(a) She is too angry.
(b) She doesn't really like the women of the chorus.
(c) She doesn't want anyone to see her tear-stained face.
(d) She is afraid to go outside.
5. Who is the first character to appear in the play?
(c) The Nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jason's mission when he and Medea met?
2. Who appears to check on Medea after hearing her cries?
3. What goddess does Medea invoke as she plans her revenge?
4. Who explains why Medea is crying to the chorus?
5. What does the Nurse fear at the beginning of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Medea's anger and despair seem so untoward to the Chorus?
2. How does the King of Corinth model the theme of selfishness that Euripides introduces in the first scene?
3. What is significant about the Tutor's statement "that everyone loves himself more than his neighbor"?
4. Is Creon's naming of Medea as a "clever witch" supposed to be taken literally or figuratively?
5. What is revealed in the argument between Medea and Jason about who loved their children more?
6. Does the Nurse find Medea sympathetic? Why or why not?
7. Why would people want to harm the children for Medea's crimes?
8. Does Jason's sudden concern for his children in the final scene seem consistent with the rest of the play? Why or why not?
9. Why do you think the chorus is made entirely of Corinthian women?
10. Why is it significant that Medea is overcome with tears when she puts the children's hands into Jason's?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)