|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Medea have to do in order to stay with Aegeus?
(a) Get Creon's permission.
(b) Make it to his kingdom on her own.
(c) Kill Jason and his new wife.
(d) Translate the prophecy from the oracle.
2. Why does Medea say Jason should forgive her?
(a) He is the father of her children.
(b) She is unable to control her emotions under duress.
(c) She was being a fool but sees better now.
(d) She can harm him and his new wife if he doesn't.
3. What does the poison do to the princess's body?
(a) Nothing other than making her fall asleep.
(b) Causes her flesh to fall off her bones.
(c) Causes boils to appear on her skin.
(d) Makes her contort in pain.
4. How long does it take the poison to start working?
(a) It is almost immediate.
(b) Less than an hour.
(c) The poison doesn't work.
(d) A few hours.
5. Why is Medea advised to flee Corinth?
(a) The borders will soon be closed to travelers.
(b) The army is being mobilized to execute her on sight.
(c) Everyone knows she is responsible for the deaths.
(d) She was supposed to leave before sunrise.
6. What does Jason tell his children when he sees them?
(a) That they will have a new mother soon.
(b) He will miss them when they leave forever.
(c) To mind their Nurse and mother.
(d) He is making plans for their care.
7. What might motivate the kings to come after Medea even if she's under Aegeus' protection?
(a) A desire to claim her sorcery for their own uses.
(b) To get revenge against her for killing Jason and the princess.
(c) Hatred for all foreigners.
(d) Jealousy over her beauty and resources being used by Aegeus.
8. When does Medea promise she will leave Corinth for good?
(a) After Jason's wedding.
(b) Before sunrise.
(c) As soon as she can pack a bag.
(d) Once her children are cared for.
9. What does the princess do after trying out her new gifts?
(a) Tells her courtiers to leave.
(b) Hugs her father in joy.
(c) Tries to get Jason to leave with her.
(d) Looks in the mirror at her "lifeless image".
10. From whom were Medea's wedding gifts supposedly procured?
(b) The sun god.
(c) They are family heirlooms.
(d) An Asian queen.
11. Whom else does Medea decide to kill after Aegeus leaves?
(a) Her maid.
(b) The Tutor.
(c) The Nurse.
(d) Her children.
12. How did the princess first feel when Jason asked her to spare his children?
13. How can Medea help Aegeus and his wife?
(a) She knows how to translate the prophecy.
(b) She is a very good housekeeper.
(c) She will let them adopt her children since they can't conceive.
(d) She can enable them to conceive a child.
14. How does Medea appear to Aegeus?
15. How does Jason feel about Medea's new decision?
(a) He thinks she is doing the right thing.
(b) He thinks she is manipulating him again.
(c) He thinks she is lying in order to get something from him.
(d) He thinks it is wonderful that she's stopped being stupid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Medea so happy when Aegeus leaves?
2. How does Medea plan to kill the princess?
3. What justification does Medea give for being upset when her children return from seeing their father?
4. How does the chorus feel about Jason after hearing of the deaths?
5. Why is Aegeus near Medea's house?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)