|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the chorus feel how it does for the princess?
(a) She tried to send Jason back to Medea but he refused.
(b) She was the favorite child of the crown and loved by her people.
(c) She didn't do anything to deserve her death.
(d) She wasn't in control of anything that happened.
2. How does Medea react to the news that her children can stay in Corinth?
(a) She has very little reaction.
(b) She appears upset.
(c) She is very happy.
(d) She goes into hysterics.
3. Why did Aegeus visit the oracle?
(a) To get advice about a potential war.
(b) To learn how long he would live.
(c) To find out how his wife might have children.
(d) To decide what to name his first child.
4. Who does Medea beg Jason to enlist in supporting his plea to Creon?
(a) The princess.
(b) The Nurse.
(c) The Tutor.
5. What does the chorus think about Medea's plan for her children?
(a) That it makes perfect sense given the circumstance.
(b) That she has lost her mind and must be stopped.
(c) That she will not be able to carry it out in the moment.
(d) That it's the only thing she could do.
6. What prophecy does the Messenger offer?
(a) Medea will find a better life with Aegeus.
(b) Medea will be hunted to the ends of the earth.
(c) Medea will not be able to finish her revenge.
(d) Medea has brought herself nothing but sorrow.
7. What plot problem does Aegeus solve in his scene?
(a) Showing that not all men are selfish.
(b) Proving that Medea actually does have friends.
(c) Giving Medea a place to run to after her revenge.
(d) Introducing the concept of prophecies and oracles.
8. How can Medea help Aegeus and his wife?
(a) She will let them adopt her children since they can't conceive.
(b) She knows how to translate the prophecy.
(c) She can enable them to conceive a child.
(d) She is a very good housekeeper.
9. Why doesn't Aegeus want to risk offending Creon?
(a) Because Creon has a large army.
(b) Because he is a fellow king.
(c) Because they've been friends since childhood.
(d) Because they are related.
10. What happens when Medea puts her children's hands in Jason's?
(a) She begins crying.
(b) They stain Jason's hands with the ink from their lessons.
(c) She tells them to go with him forever.
(d) Jason doesn't want to hold their hands.
11. How does Medea convince Jason to give her gifts to his new wife?
(a) She says it's the only way to keep her from attending the wedding.
(b) She claims she can't let go of Jason until she passes the items along.
(c) She says it will help convince the princess to let the children stay.
(d) She says the gifts are a symbol of her goodwill and refusing would insult her.
12. Why does Medea call her children out during her second scene with Jason?
(a) So he can say goodbye to them before they leave the country.
(b) To tell their father what they learned during their lessons.
(c) To remind him of his love for his children.
(d) So that she won't attack him.
13. What does Jason agree to ask Creon on Medea's behalf?
(a) For the children to be allowed to stay.
(b) To be allowed to attend the wedding.
(c) For extra time before the exile starts.
(d) For money to compensate her for her loss.
14. How does Jason feel about Medea's new decision?
(a) He thinks it is wonderful that she's stopped being stupid.
(b) He thinks she is lying in order to get something from him.
(c) He thinks she is manipulating him again.
(d) He thinks she is doing the right thing.
15. What does Aegeus know when he swears the oath to Medea?
(a) That Medea is angry and might harm herself.
(b) Only that she is being exiled, not her plans for revenge.
(c) Everything about her plans to kill Jason and his bride.
(d) A little bit about her plans but not enough to incriminate himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Medea want to know about the deaths she caused?
2. The chorus invokes what gods to stop Medea from harming her children?
3. How does Jason react now that he thinks he's getting his way?
4. How fast do the deaths happen?
5. What does the princess do after trying out her new gifts?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)