|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who decides on the oath Aegeus swears?
(a) The oracle.
2. How does Medea react to the news that her children can stay in Corinth?
(a) She is very happy.
(b) She has very little reaction.
(c) She goes into hysterics.
(d) She appears upset.
3. What title does Aegeus hold?
4. How did the princess first feel when Jason asked her to spare his children?
5. What might motivate the kings to come after Medea even if she's under Aegeus' protection?
(a) To get revenge against her for killing Jason and the princess.
(b) A desire to claim her sorcery for their own uses.
(c) Hatred for all foreigners.
(d) Jealousy over her beauty and resources being used by Aegeus.
6. How does Medea plan to kill the princess?
(a) Poisoned wine during the banquet.
(b) A poisoned dress and crown.
(c) Slipping ground glass into her meal.
(d) Attacking her after the ceremony.
7. How can Medea help Aegeus and his wife?
(a) She can enable them to conceive a child.
(b) She is a very good housekeeper.
(c) She will let them adopt her children since they can't conceive.
(d) She knows how to translate the prophecy.
8. What did Aegeus think of the oracle's reply to his question?
(a) He was frightened.
(b) He didn't understand it.
(c) He believes it must be true.
(d) He thinks it's probably wrong.
9. How long should it take the princess to die?
(a) It depends on how much poison she ingests.
(b) About two or three days.
(c) She should die as soon as she comes into contact with the poison.
(d) Several weeks of illness so it can't be traced.
10. After the deaths of Creon and the princess, what happens to Medea's plan for her children?
(a) It is stalled because Jason returns to stop her.
(b) She becomes even more resolved to carry it out.
(c) She decides Jason has suffered enough and will let her children live.
(d) It unravels because she is immediately captured by soldiers.
11. How does the chorus feel about Jason after hearing of the deaths?
(a) That he should have seen through Medea.
(b) That he may not recover from his grief.
(c) That he will need comfort from friends.
(d) That he deserves the pain.
12. What does Medea fear her enemies will do to her children?
(a) Nothing, children are sacred in ancient Greece.
(b) Take them away from her.
(c) Kill them.
(d) Sell them into slavery.
13. What wins the princess over to being willing to help Jason's children?
(a) Creon's advice.
(b) Her gifts from Medea.
(c) Her love for Jason.
(d) Jason's compelling argument.
14. How does Medea convince Jason to give her gifts to his new wife?
(a) She claims she can't let go of Jason until she passes the items along.
(b) She says it will help convince the princess to let the children stay.
(c) She says the gifts are a symbol of her goodwill and refusing would insult her.
(d) She says it's the only way to keep her from attending the wedding.
15. Why is Aegeus going to see his friend?
(a) To decide which man his daughter should marry.
(b) To get another opinion about the oracle's prophecy.
(c) To discuss politics.
(d) To place a wager on the next gladiator fights.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Medea think she should play in Jason's new marriage?
2. What does Medea promise Jason she will do after she sees him the second time?
3. Who returns with the children after they go with Jason to plead their case?
4. What does Jason agree to ask Creon on Medea's behalf?
5. What does Medea request from Aegeus?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)