|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character does the chorus have the most pity for?
(b) The princess.
2. Which women do the chorus believe are the luckiest?
(a) Those with children.
(b) Those without husbands.
(c) Those pledged to remain chaste.
(d) Those without children.
3. What excuse does Medea give for her tears when she is looking at Jason with her children?
(a) That she is imagining them reaching out to heaven in the distant future.
(b) That she remembers when Jason held her own hand so tenderly.
(c) That her children's love is so pure it makes her weep.
(d) That she will miss having her family all together.
4. How long does it take the poison to start working?
(a) It is almost immediate.
(b) A few hours.
(c) The poison doesn't work.
(d) Less than an hour.
5. How does Medea feel when she hears how her plan worked?
(a) She has no reaction.
(b) She is remorseful.
(c) She is angry that she was brought to this.
(d) She rejoices.
6. Who tells Medea about Creon and his daughter?
(a) A messenger.
(c) The Tutor.
(d) The Nurse.
7. What did Aegeus think of the oracle's reply to his question?
(a) He didn't understand it.
(b) He thinks it's probably wrong.
(c) He was frightened.
(d) He believes it must be true.
8. What does Jason tell his children when he sees them?
(a) He is making plans for their care.
(b) That they will have a new mother soon.
(c) He will miss them when they leave forever.
(d) To mind their Nurse and mother.
9. What occupies the majority of Part 6?
(a) Medea's goodbye to her family.
(b) The story about Medea's revenge.
(c) Medea killing her children.
(d) The chorus encouraging Medea to flea before she is caught.
10. What does the chorus think about Medea's plan for her children?
(a) That she has lost her mind and must be stopped.
(b) That it's the only thing she could do.
(c) That it makes perfect sense given the circumstance.
(d) That she will not be able to carry it out in the moment.
11. How does the chorus feel about Jason after hearing of the deaths?
(a) That he may not recover from his grief.
(b) That he deserves the pain.
(c) That he will need comfort from friends.
(d) That he should have seen through Medea.
12. Why does Medea say Jason should forgive her?
(a) She is unable to control her emotions under duress.
(b) He is the father of her children.
(c) She was being a fool but sees better now.
(d) She can harm him and his new wife if he doesn't.
13. Why is Medea so happy when Aegeus leaves?
(a) He promised not to tell her plans to Creon.
(b) Now she can carry out her revenge.
(c) She feels better after speaking with a friend.
(d) She is secretly in love with him.
14. What might motivate the kings to come after Medea even if she's under Aegeus' protection?
(a) To get revenge against her for killing Jason and the princess.
(b) A desire to claim her sorcery for their own uses.
(c) Hatred for all foreigners.
(d) Jealousy over her beauty and resources being used by Aegeus.
15. What wins the princess over to being willing to help Jason's children?
(a) Her gifts from Medea.
(b) Jason's compelling argument.
(c) Her love for Jason.
(d) Creon's advice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Medea fear her enemies will do to her children?
2. Why does Medea think she might not be able to trust Aegeus?
3. What prophecy does the Messenger offer?
4. From whom were Medea's wedding gifts supposedly procured?
5. What method does Medea use to win Jason over the second time she speaks with him?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)