|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Medea think she might not be able to trust Aegeus?
(a) He has lied to her in the past.
(b) She doesn't think any men are trustworthy.
(c) His wife might become jealous of Medea.
(d) The other kings may persuade him to break his word.
2. Is Medea always firmly resolved that she should kill her children?
(a) Yes, she knows it's the only way to hurt Jason.
(b) No, she wavers back and forth over what she should do.
(c) Yes, she has always hated being a mother.
(d) No, she is afraid that she won't be able to do it.
3. What excuse does Medea give for her tears when she is looking at Jason with her children?
(a) That she is imagining them reaching out to heaven in the distant future.
(b) That she remembers when Jason held her own hand so tenderly.
(c) That she will miss having her family all together.
(d) That her children's love is so pure it makes her weep.
4. How long does it take the poison to start working?
(a) A few hours.
(b) Less than an hour.
(c) It is almost immediate.
(d) The poison doesn't work.
5. Why is Aegeus near Medea's house?
(a) He's on his way to see another friend.
(b) He heard Medea had threatened the king.
(c) Jason asked him to stop by and talk to Medea.
(d) He came to cheer Medea up.
6. What does the chorus think about Medea's plan for her children?
(a) That it's the only thing she could do.
(b) That she has lost her mind and must be stopped.
(c) That it makes perfect sense given the circumstance.
(d) That she will not be able to carry it out in the moment.
7. What does the princess do as soon as she receives her gifts from Medea?
(a) Kisses Jason.
(b) Throws them away.
(c) Puts them on.
(d) Sends a message to her father.
8. The chorus invokes what gods to stop Medea from harming her children?
(a) The gods of motherhood and travelers.
(b) The gods of vengeance and peace.
(c) The gods of the earth and sun.
(d) The gods of mercy and justice.
9. How does Medea feel when she hears how her plan worked?
(a) She rejoices.
(b) She has no reaction.
(c) She is remorseful.
(d) She is angry that she was brought to this.
10. What does Jason tell his children when he sees them?
(a) That they will have a new mother soon.
(b) He is making plans for their care.
(c) To mind their Nurse and mother.
(d) He will miss them when they leave forever.
11. How does Medea appear to Aegeus?
12. How does the poison affect Creon?
(a) His flesh falls from his bones.
(b) He has a psychotic break.
(c) He breaks out in boils all over his body.
(d) He vomits copiously.
13. What happens when Medea puts her children's hands in Jason's?
(a) She tells them to go with him forever.
(b) She begins crying.
(c) They stain Jason's hands with the ink from their lessons.
(d) Jason doesn't want to hold their hands.
14. Why did Aegeus visit the oracle?
(a) To find out how his wife might have children.
(b) To get advice about a potential war.
(c) To learn how long he would live.
(d) To decide what to name his first child.
15. Whom else does Medea decide to kill after Aegeus leaves?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her maid.
(c) The Tutor.
(d) The Nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the chorus, who is the only other woman to have killed her own child?
2. From whom were Medea's wedding gifts supposedly procured?
3. Why does Medea say Jason should forgive her?
4. What occupies the majority of Part 6?
5. What plot problem does Aegeus solve in his scene?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)