|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Medea convince Jason to give her gifts to his new wife?
(a) She claims she can't let go of Jason until she passes the items along.
(b) She says it will help convince the princess to let the children stay.
(c) She says it's the only way to keep her from attending the wedding.
(d) She says the gifts are a symbol of her goodwill and refusing would insult her.
2. From whom were Medea's wedding gifts supposedly procured?
(a) An Asian queen.
(c) They are family heirlooms.
(d) The sun god.
3. What excuse does Medea give for her tears when she is looking at Jason with her children?
(a) That she remembers when Jason held her own hand so tenderly.
(b) That her children's love is so pure it makes her weep.
(c) That she is imagining them reaching out to heaven in the distant future.
(d) That she will miss having her family all together.
4. How does Jason react now that he thinks he's getting his way?
(a) He invites Medea to come to the feast.
(b) He is suspicious of Medea's motives.
(c) He dances with his children to teach them what to do at the wedding.
(d) He is very accommodating to Medea's feelings.
5. Why did Aegeus visit the oracle?
(a) To find out how his wife might have children.
(b) To get advice about a potential war.
(c) To decide what to name his first child.
(d) To learn how long he would live.
6. How can Medea help Aegeus and his wife?
(a) She will let them adopt her children since they can't conceive.
(b) She is a very good housekeeper.
(c) She knows how to translate the prophecy.
(d) She can enable them to conceive a child.
7. What does the chorus think about Medea's plan for her children?
(a) That she will not be able to carry it out in the moment.
(b) That she has lost her mind and must be stopped.
(c) That it's the only thing she could do.
(d) That it makes perfect sense given the circumstance.
8. Whom else does Medea decide to kill after Aegeus leaves?
(a) Her maid.
(b) Her children.
(c) The Tutor.
(d) The Nurse.
9. How does Jason feel about Medea's new decision?
(a) He thinks she is manipulating him again.
(b) He thinks she is doing the right thing.
(c) He thinks it is wonderful that she's stopped being stupid.
(d) He thinks she is lying in order to get something from him.
10. According to the chorus, who is the only other woman to have killed her own child?
11. How well do Medea's enchantments appear to work in the play?
(a) Very well, the targets both die.
(b) Not at all, her reputation was overstated.
(c) Pretty well, everyone gets very ill.
(d) The princess died but not her father.
12. Why does Medea think she might not be able to trust Aegeus?
(a) His wife might become jealous of Medea.
(b) She doesn't think any men are trustworthy.
(c) He has lied to her in the past.
(d) The other kings may persuade him to break his word.
13. What does Medea want to know about the deaths she caused?
(a) How well the poison worked.
(b) If they were seen by a lot of people.
(c) If everyone knows she is responsible.
(d) Whether they were agonizing.
14. How is Creon poisoned?
(a) Poison in his food.
(b) By putting on the crown.
(c) A glass of poisoned wine.
(d) By embracing his daughter.
15. Why is Medea so happy when Aegeus leaves?
(a) He promised not to tell her plans to Creon.
(b) Now she can carry out her revenge.
(c) She is secretly in love with him.
(d) She feels better after speaking with a friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupies the majority of Part 6?
2. Why does Aegeus swear an oath to Medea?
3. Why is Aegeus going to see his friend?
4. Who does Medea beg Jason to enlist in supporting his plea to Creon?
5. What did Aegeus think of the oracle's reply to his question?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)