|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom else does Medea decide to kill after Aegeus leaves?
(a) The Tutor.
(b) Her children.
(c) Her maid.
(d) The Nurse.
2. When does Medea promise she will leave Corinth for good?
(a) After Jason's wedding.
(b) Before sunrise.
(c) Once her children are cared for.
(d) As soon as she can pack a bag.
3. From whom were Medea's wedding gifts supposedly procured?
(a) They are family heirlooms.
(b) The sun god.
(d) An Asian queen.
4. Why doesn't Aegeus want to risk offending Creon?
(a) Because he is a fellow king.
(b) Because Creon has a large army.
(c) Because they are related.
(d) Because they've been friends since childhood.
5. What is an oracle?
(a) A new weapon.
(b) A teacher in the use of herbs and potions.
(c) A respected prophet.
(d) A king's advisor.
6. To whom does Medea reveal her complete plan for revenge?
(a) The chorus.
7. How does Medea feel when she hears how her plan worked?
(a) She is angry that she was brought to this.
(b) She has no reaction.
(c) She is remorseful.
(d) She rejoices.
8. The chorus invokes what gods to stop Medea from harming her children?
(a) The gods of vengeance and peace.
(b) The gods of mercy and justice.
(c) The gods of the earth and sun.
(d) The gods of motherhood and travelers.
9. How fast do the deaths happen?
(a) Pretty quickly.
(b) In a matter of a few minutes.
(c) They were slow and painful.
(d) Creon and the princess aren't dead yet.
10. Why does Medea call her children out during her second scene with Jason?
(a) To remind him of his love for his children.
(b) So that she won't attack him.
(c) So he can say goodbye to them before they leave the country.
(d) To tell their father what they learned during their lessons.
11. What did Aegeus think of the oracle's reply to his question?
(a) He was frightened.
(b) He believes it must be true.
(c) He didn't understand it.
(d) He thinks it's probably wrong.
12. What excuse does Medea give for her tears when she is looking at Jason with her children?
(a) That she will miss having her family all together.
(b) That she is imagining them reaching out to heaven in the distant future.
(c) That she remembers when Jason held her own hand so tenderly.
(d) That her children's love is so pure it makes her weep.
13. Why does the chorus feel how it does for the princess?
(a) She didn't do anything to deserve her death.
(b) She wasn't in control of anything that happened.
(c) She was the favorite child of the crown and loved by her people.
(d) She tried to send Jason back to Medea but he refused.
14. What prophecy does the Messenger offer?
(a) Medea has brought herself nothing but sorrow.
(b) Medea will not be able to finish her revenge.
(c) Medea will find a better life with Aegeus.
(d) Medea will be hunted to the ends of the earth.
15. What plot problem does Aegeus solve in his scene?
(a) Giving Medea a place to run to after her revenge.
(b) Introducing the concept of prophecies and oracles.
(c) Proving that Medea actually does have friends.
(d) Showing that not all men are selfish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chorus think about Medea's plan for her children?
2. Which women do the chorus believe are the luckiest?
3. What does the poison do to the princess's body?
4. Who tells Medea about Creon and his daughter?
5. Why is Medea advised to flee Corinth?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)