|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Is Medea always firmly resolved that she should kill her children?
(a) No, she is afraid that she won't be able to do it.
(b) Yes, she has always hated being a mother.
(c) No, she wavers back and forth over what she should do.
(d) Yes, she knows it's the only way to hurt Jason.
2. Why did Aegeus visit the oracle?
(a) To decide what to name his first child.
(b) To learn how long he would live.
(c) To find out how his wife might have children.
(d) To get advice about a potential war.
3. Who tells Medea about Creon and his daughter?
(a) A messenger.
(c) The Tutor.
(d) The Nurse.
4. What does Medea promise Jason she will do after she sees him the second time?
(a) Beg Creon for forgiveness.
(b) Take her children with her when she leaves.
(c) Make a bouquet of flowers for his new wife.
(d) Go into exile as ordered.
5. What does the princess do as soon as she receives her gifts from Medea?
(a) Kisses Jason.
(b) Throws them away.
(c) Puts them on.
(d) Sends a message to her father.
6. The chorus invokes what gods to stop Medea from harming her children?
(a) The gods of vengeance and peace.
(b) The gods of motherhood and travelers.
(c) The gods of the earth and sun.
(d) The gods of mercy and justice.
7. How well do Medea's enchantments appear to work in the play?
(a) Not at all, her reputation was overstated.
(b) The princess died but not her father.
(c) Very well, the targets both die.
(d) Pretty well, everyone gets very ill.
8. Whom else does Medea decide to kill after Aegeus leaves?
(a) Her maid.
(b) Her children.
(c) The Tutor.
(d) The Nurse.
9. What does Medea fear her enemies will do to her children?
(a) Sell them into slavery.
(b) Nothing, children are sacred in ancient Greece.
(c) Kill them.
(d) Take them away from her.
10. How does Jason feel about Medea's new decision?
(a) He thinks she is manipulating him again.
(b) He thinks it is wonderful that she's stopped being stupid.
(c) He thinks she is doing the right thing.
(d) He thinks she is lying in order to get something from him.
11. What character does the chorus have the most pity for?
(b) The princess.
12. How long does it take the poison to start working?
(a) A few hours.
(b) Less than an hour.
(c) The poison doesn't work.
(d) It is almost immediate.
13. What is an oracle?
(a) A king's advisor.
(b) A respected prophet.
(c) A new weapon.
(d) A teacher in the use of herbs and potions.
14. How can Medea help Aegeus and his wife?
(a) She will let them adopt her children since they can't conceive.
(b) She knows how to translate the prophecy.
(c) She can enable them to conceive a child.
(d) She is a very good housekeeper.
15. What does Medea say is the only thing stronger than her sorrow?
(a) Her love.
(b) Her fury.
(c) Her resolve.
(d) Her magic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Medea think she should play in Jason's new marriage?
2. Why is Medea so happy when Aegeus leaves?
3. How does Medea plan to kill the princess?
4. What prophecy does the Messenger offer?
5. According to the chorus, who is the only other woman to have killed her own child?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)