|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Medea promise Jason she will do after she sees him the second time?
(a) Take her children with her when she leaves.
(b) Go into exile as ordered.
(c) Make a bouquet of flowers for his new wife.
(d) Beg Creon for forgiveness.
2. How does Medea convince Jason to give her gifts to his new wife?
(a) She claims she can't let go of Jason until she passes the items along.
(b) She says it will help convince the princess to let the children stay.
(c) She says it's the only way to keep her from attending the wedding.
(d) She says the gifts are a symbol of her goodwill and refusing would insult her.
3. Who does Medea beg Jason to enlist in supporting his plea to Creon?
(a) The Tutor.
(b) The princess.
(c) The Nurse.
4. Why did Aegeus visit the oracle?
(a) To learn how long he would live.
(b) To decide what to name his first child.
(c) To get advice about a potential war.
(d) To find out how his wife might have children.
5. How does Medea feel when she hears how her plan worked?
(a) She is remorseful.
(b) She rejoices.
(c) She is angry that she was brought to this.
(d) She has no reaction.
6. Why does the chorus feel how it does for the princess?
(a) She wasn't in control of anything that happened.
(b) She was the favorite child of the crown and loved by her people.
(c) She tried to send Jason back to Medea but he refused.
(d) She didn't do anything to deserve her death.
7. Why does Medea think she might not be able to trust Aegeus?
(a) The other kings may persuade him to break his word.
(b) His wife might become jealous of Medea.
(c) She doesn't think any men are trustworthy.
(d) He has lied to her in the past.
8. What did Aegeus think of the oracle's reply to his question?
(a) He believes it must be true.
(b) He didn't understand it.
(c) He was frightened.
(d) He thinks it's probably wrong.
9. What does Medea fear her enemies will do to her children?
(a) Take them away from her.
(b) Sell them into slavery.
(c) Nothing, children are sacred in ancient Greece.
(d) Kill them.
10. Who decides on the oath Aegeus swears?
(a) The oracle.
11. What role does Medea think she should play in Jason's new marriage?
(a) She should sew the dress.
(b) She should give away the groom.
(c) She should give away the bride.
(d) She should help to plan it.
12. How did the princess first feel when Jason asked her to spare his children?
13. Why does Medea say Jason should forgive her?
(a) She can harm him and his new wife if he doesn't.
(b) She is unable to control her emotions under duress.
(c) She was being a fool but sees better now.
(d) He is the father of her children.
14. What does Medea request from Aegeus?
(a) Advice on what she should do next.
(b) Fabric to make a wedding dress for Jason's bride.
(c) The herbs to make her poison.
(d) To allow her to make a new home in his land.
15. From whom were Medea's wedding gifts supposedly procured?
(a) The sun god.
(b) An Asian queen.
(d) They are family heirlooms.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Medea appear to Aegeus?
2. The chorus invokes what gods to stop Medea from harming her children?
3. What excuse does Medea give for her tears when she is looking at Jason with her children?
4. How does Jason react now that he thinks he's getting his way?
5. What does Aegeus know when he swears the oath to Medea?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)