|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who decides on the oath Aegeus swears?
(a) The oracle.
2. How does Medea appear to Aegeus?
3. What does Medea request from Aegeus?
(a) The herbs to make her poison.
(b) To allow her to make a new home in his land.
(c) Advice on what she should do next.
(d) Fabric to make a wedding dress for Jason's bride.
4. How is Creon poisoned?
(a) By embracing his daughter.
(b) Poison in his food.
(c) By putting on the crown.
(d) A glass of poisoned wine.
5. Why does Medea think she might not be able to trust Aegeus?
(a) His wife might become jealous of Medea.
(b) She doesn't think any men are trustworthy.
(c) The other kings may persuade him to break his word.
(d) He has lied to her in the past.
6. Why is Aegeus going to see his friend?
(a) To discuss politics.
(b) To place a wager on the next gladiator fights.
(c) To get another opinion about the oracle's prophecy.
(d) To decide which man his daughter should marry.
7. From whom were Medea's wedding gifts supposedly procured?
(a) The sun god.
(b) An Asian queen.
(c) They are family heirlooms.
8. Who is Aegeus?
(a) One of Creon's courtiers.
(b) An Argonaut.
(c) Jason's cousin.
(d) A friend of Medea's.
9. What method does Medea use to win Jason over the second time she speaks with him?
(a) Flattery and lies.
(b) An appeal to decency.
(c) Sincere remorse.
(d) Sexual temptation.
10. Which women do the chorus believe are the luckiest?
(a) Those without children.
(b) Those without husbands.
(c) Those pledged to remain chaste.
(d) Those with children.
11. What does Medea promise Jason she will do after she sees him the second time?
(a) Take her children with her when she leaves.
(b) Beg Creon for forgiveness.
(c) Go into exile as ordered.
(d) Make a bouquet of flowers for his new wife.
12. What role does Medea think she should play in Jason's new marriage?
(a) She should give away the bride.
(b) She should give away the groom.
(c) She should help to plan it.
(d) She should sew the dress.
13. How does the chorus feel about Jason after hearing of the deaths?
(a) That he should have seen through Medea.
(b) That he will need comfort from friends.
(c) That he deserves the pain.
(d) That he may not recover from his grief.
14. Why does Medea say Jason should forgive her?
(a) She can harm him and his new wife if he doesn't.
(b) He is the father of her children.
(c) She is unable to control her emotions under duress.
(d) She was being a fool but sees better now.
15. How can Medea help Aegeus and his wife?
(a) She will let them adopt her children since they can't conceive.
(b) She knows how to translate the prophecy.
(c) She can enable them to conceive a child.
(d) She is a very good housekeeper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an oracle?
2. What title does Aegeus hold?
3. The chorus invokes what gods to stop Medea from harming her children?
4. How does Jason feel about Medea's new decision?
5. What prophecy does the Messenger offer?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)