|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aegeus know when he swears the oath to Medea?
(a) That Medea is angry and might harm herself.
(b) Only that she is being exiled, not her plans for revenge.
(c) A little bit about her plans but not enough to incriminate himself.
(d) Everything about her plans to kill Jason and his bride.
2. How can Medea help Aegeus and his wife?
(a) She will let them adopt her children since they can't conceive.
(b) She knows how to translate the prophecy.
(c) She can enable them to conceive a child.
(d) She is a very good housekeeper.
3. What happens when Medea puts her children's hands in Jason's?
(a) She tells them to go with him forever.
(b) Jason doesn't want to hold their hands.
(c) They stain Jason's hands with the ink from their lessons.
(d) She begins crying.
4. How long should it take the princess to die?
(a) About two or three days.
(b) Several weeks of illness so it can't be traced.
(c) It depends on how much poison she ingests.
(d) She should die as soon as she comes into contact with the poison.
5. How does the poison affect Creon?
(a) His flesh falls from his bones.
(b) He vomits copiously.
(c) He breaks out in boils all over his body.
(d) He has a psychotic break.
6. Why is Aegeus going to see his friend?
(a) To decide which man his daughter should marry.
(b) To place a wager on the next gladiator fights.
(c) To discuss politics.
(d) To get another opinion about the oracle's prophecy.
7. Whom else does Medea decide to kill after Aegeus leaves?
(a) The Tutor.
(b) Her maid.
(c) Her children.
(d) The Nurse.
8. What title does Aegeus hold?
9. What might motivate the kings to come after Medea even if she's under Aegeus' protection?
(a) To get revenge against her for killing Jason and the princess.
(b) Hatred for all foreigners.
(c) A desire to claim her sorcery for their own uses.
(d) Jealousy over her beauty and resources being used by Aegeus.
10. Why is Medea so happy when Aegeus leaves?
(a) She feels better after speaking with a friend.
(b) She is secretly in love with him.
(c) He promised not to tell her plans to Creon.
(d) Now she can carry out her revenge.
11. What does Medea give Jason for his bride?
(a) An enchanted dress and crown.
(b) A final kiss to remember her.
(c) The promise that she will not seek revenge.
(d) A bouquet for his bride.
12. How does Jason react now that he thinks he's getting his way?
(a) He invites Medea to come to the feast.
(b) He is very accommodating to Medea's feelings.
(c) He dances with his children to teach them what to do at the wedding.
(d) He is suspicious of Medea's motives.
13. Who returns with the children after they go with Jason to plead their case?
(a) The Tutor.
(b) The Nurse.
14. What is an oracle?
(a) A teacher in the use of herbs and potions.
(b) A respected prophet.
(c) A new weapon.
(d) A king's advisor.
15. How did the princess first feel when Jason asked her to spare his children?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Medea fear her enemies will do to her children?
2. Is Medea always firmly resolved that she should kill her children?
3. What prophecy does the Messenger offer?
4. What excuse does Medea give for her tears when she is looking at Jason with her children?
5. What plot problem does Aegeus solve in his scene?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)