|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Medea beg Jason to enlist in supporting his plea to Creon?
(b) The Tutor.
(c) The Nurse.
(d) The princess.
2. Where does the princess start bleeding from?
(a) Her head.
(c) Her feet.
(d) Her hands.
3. Why does the chorus feel how it does for the princess?
(a) She was the favorite child of the crown and loved by her people.
(b) She wasn't in control of anything that happened.
(c) She didn't do anything to deserve her death.
(d) She tried to send Jason back to Medea but he refused.
4. Why is Aegeus near Medea's house?
(a) He came to cheer Medea up.
(b) He heard Medea had threatened the king.
(c) He's on his way to see another friend.
(d) Jason asked him to stop by and talk to Medea.
5. What does the poison do to the princess's body?
(a) Causes boils to appear on her skin.
(b) Makes her contort in pain.
(c) Causes her flesh to fall off her bones.
(d) Nothing other than making her fall asleep.
6. Who is Aegeus?
(a) One of Creon's courtiers.
(b) Jason's cousin.
(c) A friend of Medea's.
(d) An Argonaut.
7. How does the poison affect Creon?
(a) He has a psychotic break.
(b) He vomits copiously.
(c) His flesh falls from his bones.
(d) He breaks out in boils all over his body.
8. How does Medea convince Jason to give her gifts to his new wife?
(a) She claims she can't let go of Jason until she passes the items along.
(b) She says it's the only way to keep her from attending the wedding.
(c) She says the gifts are a symbol of her goodwill and refusing would insult her.
(d) She says it will help convince the princess to let the children stay.
9. How does Medea feel when she hears how her plan worked?
(a) She is angry that she was brought to this.
(b) She rejoices.
(c) She is remorseful.
(d) She has no reaction.
10. Why is Medea so happy when Aegeus leaves?
(a) She feels better after speaking with a friend.
(b) He promised not to tell her plans to Creon.
(c) Now she can carry out her revenge.
(d) She is secretly in love with him.
11. What does Medea give Jason for his bride?
(a) A bouquet for his bride.
(b) A final kiss to remember her.
(c) An enchanted dress and crown.
(d) The promise that she will not seek revenge.
12. Why does Medea say Jason should forgive her?
(a) She was being a fool but sees better now.
(b) He is the father of her children.
(c) She can harm him and his new wife if he doesn't.
(d) She is unable to control her emotions under duress.
13. How is Creon poisoned?
(a) By embracing his daughter.
(b) Poison in his food.
(c) By putting on the crown.
(d) A glass of poisoned wine.
14. What does the chorus think about Jason and Medea's futures once her plans are carried out?
(a) They will likely both be dead.
(b) They will learn lessons about selfishness.
(c) They will both live lives full of pain.
(d) They will be able to carry on and treat others better.
15. Why does Aegeus swear an oath to Medea?
(a) So she will heal his wife.
(b) So she can call on him for assistance in the future.
(c) To prove he is trustworthy.
(d) To keep her from poisoning his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title does Aegeus hold?
2. What does Medea fear her enemies will do to her children?
3. When does Medea promise she will leave Corinth for good?
4. Which women do the chorus believe are the luckiest?
5. Why doesn't Aegeus want to risk offending Creon?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)