|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What might motivate the kings to come after Medea even if she's under Aegeus' protection?
(a) A desire to claim her sorcery for their own uses.
(b) Hatred for all foreigners.
(c) Jealousy over her beauty and resources being used by Aegeus.
(d) To get revenge against her for killing Jason and the princess.
2. How does the poison affect Creon?
(a) His flesh falls from his bones.
(b) He has a psychotic break.
(c) He vomits copiously.
(d) He breaks out in boils all over his body.
3. How fast do the deaths happen?
(a) In a matter of a few minutes.
(b) They were slow and painful.
(c) Creon and the princess aren't dead yet.
(d) Pretty quickly.
4. From whom were Medea's wedding gifts supposedly procured?
(b) An Asian queen.
(c) The sun god.
(d) They are family heirlooms.
5. What justification does Medea give for being upset when her children return from seeing their father?
(a) She can see their father in their faces.
(b) She is grieving that she will soon leave them behind.
(c) She misses having her whole family together.
(d) She is so happy that she weeps.
6. What does Jason agree to ask Creon on Medea's behalf?
(a) For extra time before the exile starts.
(b) For money to compensate her for her loss.
(c) To be allowed to attend the wedding.
(d) For the children to be allowed to stay.
7. Who is Aegeus?
(a) An Argonaut.
(b) A friend of Medea's.
(c) Jason's cousin.
(d) One of Creon's courtiers.
8. What method does Medea use to win Jason over the second time she speaks with him?
(a) Flattery and lies.
(b) An appeal to decency.
(c) Sexual temptation.
(d) Sincere remorse.
9. What does Medea give Jason for his bride?
(a) An enchanted dress and crown.
(b) A bouquet for his bride.
(c) A final kiss to remember her.
(d) The promise that she will not seek revenge.
10. Why does Medea think she might not be able to trust Aegeus?
(a) He has lied to her in the past.
(b) The other kings may persuade him to break his word.
(c) She doesn't think any men are trustworthy.
(d) His wife might become jealous of Medea.
11. What prophecy does the Messenger offer?
(a) Medea will not be able to finish her revenge.
(b) Medea will find a better life with Aegeus.
(c) Medea has brought herself nothing but sorrow.
(d) Medea will be hunted to the ends of the earth.
12. What does Medea have to do in order to stay with Aegeus?
(a) Get Creon's permission.
(b) Make it to his kingdom on her own.
(c) Kill Jason and his new wife.
(d) Translate the prophecy from the oracle.
13. What plot problem does Aegeus solve in his scene?
(a) Proving that Medea actually does have friends.
(b) Giving Medea a place to run to after her revenge.
(c) Introducing the concept of prophecies and oracles.
(d) Showing that not all men are selfish.
14. Where does the princess start bleeding from?
(a) Her hands.
(b) Her feet.
(d) Her head.
15. What does the princess do after trying out her new gifts?
(a) Tries to get Jason to leave with her.
(b) Tells her courtiers to leave.
(c) Hugs her father in joy.
(d) Looks in the mirror at her "lifeless image".
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take the poison to start working?
2. What does the chorus think about Medea's plan for her children?
3. What does Medea say is the only thing stronger than her sorrow?
4. Why is Medea so happy when Aegeus leaves?
5. How does Medea plan to kill the princess?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)