|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How well do Medea's enchantments appear to work in the play?
(a) Very well, the targets both die.
(b) Pretty well, everyone gets very ill.
(c) The princess died but not her father.
(d) Not at all, her reputation was overstated.
2. Why is Aegeus near Medea's house?
(a) He heard Medea had threatened the king.
(b) He came to cheer Medea up.
(c) He's on his way to see another friend.
(d) Jason asked him to stop by and talk to Medea.
3. To whom does Medea reveal her complete plan for revenge?
(b) The chorus.
4. What does Medea say is the only thing stronger than her sorrow?
(a) Her resolve.
(b) Her fury.
(c) Her love.
(d) Her magic.
5. What justification does Medea give for being upset when her children return from seeing their father?
(a) She can see their father in their faces.
(b) She misses having her whole family together.
(c) She is grieving that she will soon leave them behind.
(d) She is so happy that she weeps.
6. Why is Medea really crying when she sees her children with Jason?
(a) Probably because she knows she will kill them all soon.
(b) Probably because she is so angry but can't show it.
(c) Probably because she will miss them when she leaves them in Corinth.
(d) Probably because she imagines Jason's future family life and is grieving the loss of her own.
7. What does Medea have to do in order to stay with Aegeus?
(a) Translate the prophecy from the oracle.
(b) Kill Jason and his new wife.
(c) Make it to his kingdom on her own.
(d) Get Creon's permission.
8. What does Medea fear her enemies will do to her children?
(a) Kill them.
(b) Nothing, children are sacred in ancient Greece.
(c) Take them away from her.
(d) Sell them into slavery.
9. What does Medea promise Jason she will do after she sees him the second time?
(a) Go into exile as ordered.
(b) Take her children with her when she leaves.
(c) Beg Creon for forgiveness.
(d) Make a bouquet of flowers for his new wife.
10. How fast do the deaths happen?
(a) In a matter of a few minutes.
(b) Creon and the princess aren't dead yet.
(c) They were slow and painful.
(d) Pretty quickly.
11. How does Medea feel when she hears how her plan worked?
(a) She is angry that she was brought to this.
(b) She rejoices.
(c) She is remorseful.
(d) She has no reaction.
12. How does Jason feel about Medea's new decision?
(a) He thinks she is manipulating him again.
(b) He thinks she is lying in order to get something from him.
(c) He thinks she is doing the right thing.
(d) He thinks it is wonderful that she's stopped being stupid.
13. Why does Aegeus swear an oath to Medea?
(a) So she will heal his wife.
(b) To prove he is trustworthy.
(c) To keep her from poisoning his family.
(d) So she can call on him for assistance in the future.
14. Why did Aegeus visit the oracle?
(a) To get advice about a potential war.
(b) To learn how long he would live.
(c) To decide what to name his first child.
(d) To find out how his wife might have children.
15. What is an oracle?
(a) A king's advisor.
(b) A new weapon.
(c) A respected prophet.
(d) A teacher in the use of herbs and potions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Medea think she might not be able to trust Aegeus?
2. What character does the chorus have the most pity for?
3. How can Medea help Aegeus and his wife?
4. According to the chorus, who is the only other woman to have killed her own child?
5. What method does Medea use to win Jason over the second time she speaks with him?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)