|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Aegeus want to risk offending Creon?
(a) Because they are related.
(b) Because they've been friends since childhood.
(c) Because he is a fellow king.
(d) Because Creon has a large army.
2. When does Medea promise she will leave Corinth for good?
(a) As soon as she can pack a bag.
(b) Once her children are cared for.
(c) After Jason's wedding.
(d) Before sunrise.
3. What wins the princess over to being willing to help Jason's children?
(a) Her love for Jason.
(b) Her gifts from Medea.
(c) Creon's advice.
(d) Jason's compelling argument.
4. Why does Medea say Jason should forgive her?
(a) She can harm him and his new wife if he doesn't.
(b) She was being a fool but sees better now.
(c) She is unable to control her emotions under duress.
(d) He is the father of her children.
5. Where does the princess start bleeding from?
(b) Her feet.
(c) Her hands.
(d) Her head.
6. Who tells Medea about Creon and his daughter?
(a) The Tutor.
(b) The Nurse.
(d) A messenger.
7. What does Medea promise Jason she will do after she sees him the second time?
(a) Make a bouquet of flowers for his new wife.
(b) Beg Creon for forgiveness.
(c) Go into exile as ordered.
(d) Take her children with her when she leaves.
8. What did Aegeus think of the oracle's reply to his question?
(a) He didn't understand it.
(b) He thinks it's probably wrong.
(c) He believes it must be true.
(d) He was frightened.
9. The chorus invokes what gods to stop Medea from harming her children?
(a) The gods of mercy and justice.
(b) The gods of vengeance and peace.
(c) The gods of the earth and sun.
(d) The gods of motherhood and travelers.
10. How does Jason feel about Medea's new decision?
(a) He thinks it is wonderful that she's stopped being stupid.
(b) He thinks she is lying in order to get something from him.
(c) He thinks she is manipulating him again.
(d) He thinks she is doing the right thing.
11. What plot problem does Aegeus solve in his scene?
(a) Proving that Medea actually does have friends.
(b) Showing that not all men are selfish.
(c) Introducing the concept of prophecies and oracles.
(d) Giving Medea a place to run to after her revenge.
12. What might motivate the kings to come after Medea even if she's under Aegeus' protection?
(a) Jealousy over her beauty and resources being used by Aegeus.
(b) A desire to claim her sorcery for their own uses.
(c) Hatred for all foreigners.
(d) To get revenge against her for killing Jason and the princess.
13. Why is Aegeus going to see his friend?
(a) To place a wager on the next gladiator fights.
(b) To discuss politics.
(c) To decide which man his daughter should marry.
(d) To get another opinion about the oracle's prophecy.
14. Is Medea always firmly resolved that she should kill her children?
(a) Yes, she has always hated being a mother.
(b) No, she is afraid that she won't be able to do it.
(c) Yes, she knows it's the only way to hurt Jason.
(d) No, she wavers back and forth over what she should do.
15. Who does Medea beg Jason to enlist in supporting his plea to Creon?
(a) The princess.
(b) The Tutor.
(c) The Nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. How well do Medea's enchantments appear to work in the play?
2. What title does Aegeus hold?
3. Who decides on the oath Aegeus swears?
4. Which women do the chorus believe are the luckiest?
5. Why does Aegeus swear an oath to Medea?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)