|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Medea call her children out during her second scene with Jason?
(a) To tell their father what they learned during their lessons.
(b) So he can say goodbye to them before they leave the country.
(c) So that she won't attack him.
(d) To remind him of his love for his children.
2. Why is Aegeus going to see his friend?
(a) To decide which man his daughter should marry.
(b) To place a wager on the next gladiator fights.
(c) To get another opinion about the oracle's prophecy.
(d) To discuss politics.
3. What prophecy does the Messenger offer?
(a) Medea has brought herself nothing but sorrow.
(b) Medea will be hunted to the ends of the earth.
(c) Medea will not be able to finish her revenge.
(d) Medea will find a better life with Aegeus.
4. How does Medea plan to kill the princess?
(a) A poisoned dress and crown.
(b) Attacking her after the ceremony.
(c) Poisoned wine during the banquet.
(d) Slipping ground glass into her meal.
5. How well do Medea's enchantments appear to work in the play?
(a) Not at all, her reputation was overstated.
(b) Very well, the targets both die.
(c) The princess died but not her father.
(d) Pretty well, everyone gets very ill.
6. How did the princess first feel when Jason asked her to spare his children?
7. Why does Aegeus swear an oath to Medea?
(a) So she can call on him for assistance in the future.
(b) So she will heal his wife.
(c) To keep her from poisoning his family.
(d) To prove he is trustworthy.
8. Who does Medea beg Jason to enlist in supporting his plea to Creon?
(a) The Nurse.
(b) The Tutor.
(d) The princess.
9. What does Medea request from Aegeus?
(a) To allow her to make a new home in his land.
(b) Advice on what she should do next.
(c) Fabric to make a wedding dress for Jason's bride.
(d) The herbs to make her poison.
10. What plot problem does Aegeus solve in his scene?
(a) Introducing the concept of prophecies and oracles.
(b) Giving Medea a place to run to after her revenge.
(c) Proving that Medea actually does have friends.
(d) Showing that not all men are selfish.
11. Is Medea always firmly resolved that she should kill her children?
(a) Yes, she knows it's the only way to hurt Jason.
(b) No, she wavers back and forth over what she should do.
(c) No, she is afraid that she won't be able to do it.
(d) Yes, she has always hated being a mother.
12. Which women do the chorus believe are the luckiest?
(a) Those without children.
(b) Those without husbands.
(c) Those with children.
(d) Those pledged to remain chaste.
13. Where does the princess start bleeding from?
(a) Her hands.
(c) Her feet.
(d) Her head.
14. Who returns with the children after they go with Jason to plead their case?
(a) The Tutor.
(d) The Nurse.
15. What does the chorus think about Jason and Medea's futures once her plans are carried out?
(a) They will be able to carry on and treat others better.
(b) They will learn lessons about selfishness.
(c) They will both live lives full of pain.
(d) They will likely both be dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Medea give Jason for his bride?
2. How fast do the deaths happen?
3. How does Jason react now that he thinks he's getting his way?
4. What did Aegeus think of the oracle's reply to his question?
5. How can Medea help Aegeus and his wife?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)