|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Medea fear her enemies will do to her children?
(a) Kill them.
(b) Take them away from her.
(c) Sell them into slavery.
(d) Nothing, children are sacred in ancient Greece.
2. What wins the princess over to being willing to help Jason's children?
(a) Her gifts from Medea.
(b) Creon's advice.
(c) Jason's compelling argument.
(d) Her love for Jason.
3. How does Medea react to the news that her children can stay in Corinth?
(a) She appears upset.
(b) She goes into hysterics.
(c) She is very happy.
(d) She has very little reaction.
4. What does Medea promise Jason she will do after she sees him the second time?
(a) Take her children with her when she leaves.
(b) Beg Creon for forgiveness.
(c) Make a bouquet of flowers for his new wife.
(d) Go into exile as ordered.
5. What happens when Medea puts her children's hands in Jason's?
(a) They stain Jason's hands with the ink from their lessons.
(b) Jason doesn't want to hold their hands.
(c) She begins crying.
(d) She tells them to go with him forever.
6. What does the princess do as soon as she receives her gifts from Medea?
(a) Sends a message to her father.
(b) Kisses Jason.
(c) Puts them on.
(d) Throws them away.
7. What plot problem does Aegeus solve in his scene?
(a) Showing that not all men are selfish.
(b) Introducing the concept of prophecies and oracles.
(c) Proving that Medea actually does have friends.
(d) Giving Medea a place to run to after her revenge.
8. How well do Medea's enchantments appear to work in the play?
(a) Very well, the targets both die.
(b) Not at all, her reputation was overstated.
(c) Pretty well, everyone gets very ill.
(d) The princess died but not her father.
9. Who tells Medea about Creon and his daughter?
(a) The Nurse.
(b) A messenger.
(d) The Tutor.
10. Why is Medea so happy when Aegeus leaves?
(a) He promised not to tell her plans to Creon.
(b) Now she can carry out her revenge.
(c) She feels better after speaking with a friend.
(d) She is secretly in love with him.
11. Is Medea always firmly resolved that she should kill her children?
(a) Yes, she knows it's the only way to hurt Jason.
(b) No, she is afraid that she won't be able to do it.
(c) Yes, she has always hated being a mother.
(d) No, she wavers back and forth over what she should do.
12. After the deaths of Creon and the princess, what happens to Medea's plan for her children?
(a) It is stalled because Jason returns to stop her.
(b) She decides Jason has suffered enough and will let her children live.
(c) She becomes even more resolved to carry it out.
(d) It unravels because she is immediately captured by soldiers.
13. When does Medea promise she will leave Corinth for good?
(a) After Jason's wedding.
(b) Once her children are cared for.
(c) Before sunrise.
(d) As soon as she can pack a bag.
14. What does Medea say is the only thing stronger than her sorrow?
(a) Her resolve.
(b) Her fury.
(c) Her love.
(d) Her magic.
15. According to the chorus, who is the only other woman to have killed her own child?
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Medea think she should play in Jason's new marriage?
2. What does Jason agree to ask Creon on Medea's behalf?
3. Who is Aegeus?
4. How long does it take the poison to start working?
5. How does Medea plan to kill the princess?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)