|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Aegeus want to risk offending Creon?
(a) Because Creon has a large army.
(b) Because they've been friends since childhood.
(c) Because he is a fellow king.
(d) Because they are related.
2. What does Medea request from Aegeus?
(a) Advice on what she should do next.
(b) The herbs to make her poison.
(c) Fabric to make a wedding dress for Jason's bride.
(d) To allow her to make a new home in his land.
3. Who does Medea beg Jason to enlist in supporting his plea to Creon?
(a) The Tutor.
(b) The Nurse.
(c) The princess.
4. How can Medea help Aegeus and his wife?
(a) She knows how to translate the prophecy.
(b) She can enable them to conceive a child.
(c) She is a very good housekeeper.
(d) She will let them adopt her children since they can't conceive.
5. What title does Aegeus hold?
6. Why is Medea really crying when she sees her children with Jason?
(a) Probably because she will miss them when she leaves them in Corinth.
(b) Probably because she knows she will kill them all soon.
(c) Probably because she imagines Jason's future family life and is grieving the loss of her own.
(d) Probably because she is so angry but can't show it.
7. What does the chorus think about Medea's plan for her children?
(a) That it's the only thing she could do.
(b) That she will not be able to carry it out in the moment.
(c) That she has lost her mind and must be stopped.
(d) That it makes perfect sense given the circumstance.
8. Who is Aegeus?
(a) A friend of Medea's.
(b) One of Creon's courtiers.
(c) Jason's cousin.
(d) An Argonaut.
9. How does Medea appear to Aegeus?
10. To whom does Medea reveal her complete plan for revenge?
(c) The chorus.
11. How does Medea feel when she hears how her plan worked?
(a) She has no reaction.
(b) She is angry that she was brought to this.
(c) She is remorseful.
(d) She rejoices.
12. Why is Aegeus near Medea's house?
(a) He came to cheer Medea up.
(b) Jason asked him to stop by and talk to Medea.
(c) He's on his way to see another friend.
(d) He heard Medea had threatened the king.
13. What prophecy does the Messenger offer?
(a) Medea has brought herself nothing but sorrow.
(b) Medea will be hunted to the ends of the earth.
(c) Medea will find a better life with Aegeus.
(d) Medea will not be able to finish her revenge.
14. Who returns with the children after they go with Jason to plead their case?
(b) The Nurse.
(d) The Tutor.
15. How does Medea convince Jason to give her gifts to his new wife?
(a) She says it will help convince the princess to let the children stay.
(b) She claims she can't let go of Jason until she passes the items along.
(c) She says it's the only way to keep her from attending the wedding.
(d) She says the gifts are a symbol of her goodwill and refusing would insult her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Medea advised to flee Corinth?
2. After the deaths of Creon and the princess, what happens to Medea's plan for her children?
3. How does the chorus feel about Jason after hearing of the deaths?
4. What does Medea give Jason for his bride?
5. When does Medea promise she will leave Corinth for good?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)