|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Aegeus?
(a) A friend of Medea's.
(b) One of Creon's courtiers.
(c) Jason's cousin.
(d) An Argonaut.
2. How well do Medea's enchantments appear to work in the play?
(a) Very well, the targets both die.
(b) Not at all, her reputation was overstated.
(c) The princess died but not her father.
(d) Pretty well, everyone gets very ill.
3. Why doesn't Aegeus want to risk offending Creon?
(a) Because Creon has a large army.
(b) Because he is a fellow king.
(c) Because they are related.
(d) Because they've been friends since childhood.
4. What does Medea promise Jason she will do after she sees him the second time?
(a) Go into exile as ordered.
(b) Make a bouquet of flowers for his new wife.
(c) Take her children with her when she leaves.
(d) Beg Creon for forgiveness.
5. Why does Medea call her children out during her second scene with Jason?
(a) To remind him of his love for his children.
(b) So that she won't attack him.
(c) So he can say goodbye to them before they leave the country.
(d) To tell their father what they learned during their lessons.
6. What might motivate the kings to come after Medea even if she's under Aegeus' protection?
(a) Hatred for all foreigners.
(b) A desire to claim her sorcery for their own uses.
(c) Jealousy over her beauty and resources being used by Aegeus.
(d) To get revenge against her for killing Jason and the princess.
7. What does Medea give Jason for his bride?
(a) An enchanted dress and crown.
(b) A final kiss to remember her.
(c) A bouquet for his bride.
(d) The promise that she will not seek revenge.
8. How does Medea appear to Aegeus?
9. How did the princess first feel when Jason asked her to spare his children?
10. How can Medea help Aegeus and his wife?
(a) She can enable them to conceive a child.
(b) She knows how to translate the prophecy.
(c) She is a very good housekeeper.
(d) She will let them adopt her children since they can't conceive.
11. Who tells Medea about Creon and his daughter?
(a) The Nurse.
(b) The Tutor.
(d) A messenger.
12. How is Creon poisoned?
(a) By embracing his daughter.
(b) A glass of poisoned wine.
(c) Poison in his food.
(d) By putting on the crown.
13. Whom else does Medea decide to kill after Aegeus leaves?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her maid.
(c) The Nurse.
(d) The Tutor.
14. Why does Medea say Jason should forgive her?
(a) She can harm him and his new wife if he doesn't.
(b) He is the father of her children.
(c) She was being a fool but sees better now.
(d) She is unable to control her emotions under duress.
15. Why did Aegeus visit the oracle?
(a) To learn how long he would live.
(b) To get advice about a potential war.
(c) To find out how his wife might have children.
(d) To decide what to name his first child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Medea request from Aegeus?
2. From whom were Medea's wedding gifts supposedly procured?
3. Is Medea always firmly resolved that she should kill her children?
4. What occupies the majority of Part 6?
5. To whom does Medea reveal her complete plan for revenge?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)