|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the chorus, who is the only other woman to have killed her own child?
2. Is Medea always firmly resolved that she should kill her children?
(a) No, she is afraid that she won't be able to do it.
(b) Yes, she has always hated being a mother.
(c) Yes, she knows it's the only way to hurt Jason.
(d) No, she wavers back and forth over what she should do.
3. What does Medea have to do in order to stay with Aegeus?
(a) Get Creon's permission.
(b) Kill Jason and his new wife.
(c) Make it to his kingdom on her own.
(d) Translate the prophecy from the oracle.
4. What happens when Medea puts her children's hands in Jason's?
(a) Jason doesn't want to hold their hands.
(b) She begins crying.
(c) She tells them to go with him forever.
(d) They stain Jason's hands with the ink from their lessons.
5. Who decides on the oath Aegeus swears?
(a) The oracle.
6. How does Medea feel when she hears how her plan worked?
(a) She has no reaction.
(b) She rejoices.
(c) She is remorseful.
(d) She is angry that she was brought to this.
7. What does the chorus think about Jason and Medea's futures once her plans are carried out?
(a) They will be able to carry on and treat others better.
(b) They will both live lives full of pain.
(c) They will likely both be dead.
(d) They will learn lessons about selfishness.
8. How does Medea plan to kill the princess?
(a) A poisoned dress and crown.
(b) Slipping ground glass into her meal.
(c) Poisoned wine during the banquet.
(d) Attacking her after the ceremony.
9. What does Jason tell his children when he sees them?
(a) He will miss them when they leave forever.
(b) That they will have a new mother soon.
(c) He is making plans for their care.
(d) To mind their Nurse and mother.
10. Why did Aegeus visit the oracle?
(a) To decide what to name his first child.
(b) To learn how long he would live.
(c) To find out how his wife might have children.
(d) To get advice about a potential war.
11. How does Medea convince Jason to give her gifts to his new wife?
(a) She says the gifts are a symbol of her goodwill and refusing would insult her.
(b) She claims she can't let go of Jason until she passes the items along.
(c) She says it's the only way to keep her from attending the wedding.
(d) She says it will help convince the princess to let the children stay.
12. Why does the chorus feel how it does for the princess?
(a) She wasn't in control of anything that happened.
(b) She didn't do anything to deserve her death.
(c) She was the favorite child of the crown and loved by her people.
(d) She tried to send Jason back to Medea but he refused.
13. Why is Aegeus going to see his friend?
(a) To place a wager on the next gladiator fights.
(b) To discuss politics.
(c) To get another opinion about the oracle's prophecy.
(d) To decide which man his daughter should marry.
14. What does Medea give Jason for his bride?
(a) A final kiss to remember her.
(b) The promise that she will not seek revenge.
(c) An enchanted dress and crown.
(d) A bouquet for his bride.
15. What prophecy does the Messenger offer?
(a) Medea has brought herself nothing but sorrow.
(b) Medea will be hunted to the ends of the earth.
(c) Medea will not be able to finish her revenge.
(d) Medea will find a better life with Aegeus.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the princess first feel when Jason asked her to spare his children?
2. What does Aegeus know when he swears the oath to Medea?
3. How can Medea help Aegeus and his wife?
4. Whom else does Medea decide to kill after Aegeus leaves?
5. How does the chorus feel about Jason after hearing of the deaths?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)