|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Medea think she might not be able to trust Aegeus?
(a) The other kings may persuade him to break his word.
(b) She doesn't think any men are trustworthy.
(c) His wife might become jealous of Medea.
(d) He has lied to her in the past.
2. How long should it take the princess to die?
(a) She should die as soon as she comes into contact with the poison.
(b) It depends on how much poison she ingests.
(c) Several weeks of illness so it can't be traced.
(d) About two or three days.
3. What does the chorus think about Medea's plan for her children?
(a) That it makes perfect sense given the circumstance.
(b) That it's the only thing she could do.
(c) That she will not be able to carry it out in the moment.
(d) That she has lost her mind and must be stopped.
4. What happens when Medea puts her children's hands in Jason's?
(a) They stain Jason's hands with the ink from their lessons.
(b) Jason doesn't want to hold their hands.
(c) She tells them to go with him forever.
(d) She begins crying.
5. How well do Medea's enchantments appear to work in the play?
(a) The princess died but not her father.
(b) Pretty well, everyone gets very ill.
(c) Not at all, her reputation was overstated.
(d) Very well, the targets both die.
6. The chorus invokes what gods to stop Medea from harming her children?
(a) The gods of vengeance and peace.
(b) The gods of mercy and justice.
(c) The gods of motherhood and travelers.
(d) The gods of the earth and sun.
7. How does Jason react now that he thinks he's getting his way?
(a) He invites Medea to come to the feast.
(b) He dances with his children to teach them what to do at the wedding.
(c) He is very accommodating to Medea's feelings.
(d) He is suspicious of Medea's motives.
8. Who returns with the children after they go with Jason to plead their case?
(a) The Tutor.
(d) The Nurse.
9. What does the princess do after trying out her new gifts?
(a) Tells her courtiers to leave.
(b) Tries to get Jason to leave with her.
(c) Looks in the mirror at her "lifeless image".
(d) Hugs her father in joy.
10. What does Aegeus know when he swears the oath to Medea?
(a) A little bit about her plans but not enough to incriminate himself.
(b) Everything about her plans to kill Jason and his bride.
(c) That Medea is angry and might harm herself.
(d) Only that she is being exiled, not her plans for revenge.
11. What does Medea request from Aegeus?
(a) To allow her to make a new home in his land.
(b) The herbs to make her poison.
(c) Advice on what she should do next.
(d) Fabric to make a wedding dress for Jason's bride.
12. How does the poison affect Creon?
(a) He breaks out in boils all over his body.
(b) He has a psychotic break.
(c) His flesh falls from his bones.
(d) He vomits copiously.
13. Who does Medea beg Jason to enlist in supporting his plea to Creon?
(b) The princess.
(c) The Nurse.
(d) The Tutor.
14. Why does Medea say Jason should forgive her?
(a) She can harm him and his new wife if he doesn't.
(b) She was being a fool but sees better now.
(c) He is the father of her children.
(d) She is unable to control her emotions under duress.
15. What does the chorus think about Jason and Medea's futures once her plans are carried out?
(a) They will learn lessons about selfishness.
(b) They will both live lives full of pain.
(c) They will likely both be dead.
(d) They will be able to carry on and treat others better.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Medea have to do in order to stay with Aegeus?
2. After the deaths of Creon and the princess, what happens to Medea's plan for her children?
3. Why is Aegeus near Medea's house?
4. What does Medea give Jason for his bride?
5. What method does Medea use to win Jason over the second time she speaks with him?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)