|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Aegeus near Medea's house?
(a) He came to cheer Medea up.
(b) He heard Medea had threatened the king.
(c) He's on his way to see another friend.
(d) Jason asked him to stop by and talk to Medea.
2. What does Medea request from Aegeus?
(a) To allow her to make a new home in his land.
(b) Advice on what she should do next.
(c) The herbs to make her poison.
(d) Fabric to make a wedding dress for Jason's bride.
3. When does Medea promise she will leave Corinth for good?
(a) Once her children are cared for.
(b) Before sunrise.
(c) After Jason's wedding.
(d) As soon as she can pack a bag.
4. How does Jason react now that he thinks he's getting his way?
(a) He is suspicious of Medea's motives.
(b) He is very accommodating to Medea's feelings.
(c) He dances with his children to teach them what to do at the wedding.
(d) He invites Medea to come to the feast.
5. Who is Aegeus?
(a) Jason's cousin.
(b) One of Creon's courtiers.
(c) An Argonaut.
(d) A friend of Medea's.
6. What does the chorus think about Medea's plan for her children?
(a) That she has lost her mind and must be stopped.
(b) That it makes perfect sense given the circumstance.
(c) That she will not be able to carry it out in the moment.
(d) That it's the only thing she could do.
7. Who tells Medea about Creon and his daughter?
(b) The Nurse.
(c) The Tutor.
(d) A messenger.
8. From whom were Medea's wedding gifts supposedly procured?
(a) The sun god.
(b) They are family heirlooms.
(c) An Asian queen.
9. What does the princess do after trying out her new gifts?
(a) Hugs her father in joy.
(b) Looks in the mirror at her "lifeless image".
(c) Tells her courtiers to leave.
(d) Tries to get Jason to leave with her.
10. What character does the chorus have the most pity for?
(b) The princess.
11. What does the princess do as soon as she receives her gifts from Medea?
(a) Throws them away.
(b) Puts them on.
(c) Kisses Jason.
(d) Sends a message to her father.
12. Why is Medea really crying when she sees her children with Jason?
(a) Probably because she knows she will kill them all soon.
(b) Probably because she imagines Jason's future family life and is grieving the loss of her own.
(c) Probably because she will miss them when she leaves them in Corinth.
(d) Probably because she is so angry but can't show it.
13. How does Medea feel when she hears how her plan worked?
(a) She is angry that she was brought to this.
(b) She rejoices.
(c) She is remorseful.
(d) She has no reaction.
14. Who returns with the children after they go with Jason to plead their case?
(b) The Tutor.
(d) The Nurse.
15. What role does Medea think she should play in Jason's new marriage?
(a) She should give away the groom.
(b) She should help to plan it.
(c) She should give away the bride.
(d) She should sew the dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Medea promise Jason she will do after she sees him the second time?
2. Why does Medea call her children out during her second scene with Jason?
3. What did Aegeus think of the oracle's reply to his question?
4. How does the poison affect Creon?
5. How does Jason feel about Medea's new decision?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)