|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Medea being banished?
(a) Jason's new wife doesn't like having her around.
(b) Creon is afraid of her and what she'll do.
(c) She has had an affair and that is the punishment.
(d) Creon doesn't like her because she's a foreigner.
2. What would the chorus like Medea to do when they first arrive?
(a) Go back to her homeland and leave her children behind.
(b) Come out so they can comfort her.
(c) Find a way to revenge herself against her husband.
(d) Stop crying and tend her children.
3. Why does Medea claim she is refusing Jason's money?
(a) She can get money from her family instead.
(b) He doesn't have enough to give her.
(c) Money gained from a bad man is no good.
(d) She can provide adequately for herself.
4. What has Jason said is his intent with regard to his children?
(a) He wants them to be shipped back to Medea's homeland.
(b) He wants to send them away for military training.
(c) He intends to move them in with him and his new wife.
(d) He doesn't intend to help support them.
5. To whom does the Nurse say Medea cries for comfort?
(a) The servants.
(b) The gods.
(c) Her children.
6. What theme, central to the play, does the chorus frequently reiterate?
(a) That men always betray women.
(b) That marriages are doomed to fail.
(c) That children are weapons against a mother.
(d) That women cannot be trusted.
7. When did Medea kill for Jason?
(a) When he was trying to escape with the Golden Fleece.
(b) Aboard the Argo when they were attacked by sirens.
(c) Just before their first child was born.
(d) Several times throughout their marriage.
8. What prevents Medea from returning to her homeland?
(a) Her pride.
(b) She is forbidden from returning by Creon.
(c) There is no ship that will go there.
(d) She is a criminal there.
9. What does Jason think influences women's judgment?
(a) The sun, the moon, and the tides of the sea.
(b) Their inability to see reason.
(c) The warmth and intimacy of love..
(d) Other women and children.
10. What is the purpose of the first section of the play?
(a) To apologize for any parts the audience may not like.
(b) To introduce every character in the play.
(c) To offer background information.
(d) To make the audience laugh before the tragedy begins.
11. Whom does Jason intend to marry?
(a) Aegeus's sister.
(c) Creon's daughter.
(d) Medea's cousin.
12. What does the Nurse fear at the beginning of the play?
(a) She will lose her job in the divorce.
(b) The children will be upset when they see their parents fighting.
(c) Medea will take violent revenge.
(d) Jason will kill Medea for being too contrary.
13. What does the chorus comment that they can hear in Medea's cries?
14. What attitude does Jason have towards Medea when he appears?
15. In the time the play was written, what would the audience have typically known before coming to the theater?
(a) The story of the play.
(b) When to applaud.
(c) The end of the story.
(d) The names of the actors involved.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the author emphasize several times that Medea is a "stranger in a strange land"?
2. What is the name of Jason's ship?
3. What does Medea think about women who have been wronged by a lover?
4. What two characters are getting divorced?
5. What does Jason say he has done on Medea's behalf?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)