|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What attitude does Jason have towards Medea when he appears?
2. What country is the myth of Medea from?
3. What does the Nurse feel is best for people?
(a) Getting anger out so it doesn't fester.
(b) Moderation in all things.
(c) Open and honest communication.
(d) Expressing feelings openly and without reserve.
4. Why doesn't Creon trust Medea's reasons for allowing her to stay?
(a) She sounds too angry to be able to live there peacefully.
(b) He thinks she is clever enough to be manipulative.
(c) They don't sound real to him.
(d) He has heard stories about her and thinks she is a liar.
5. Who appears to check on Medea after hearing her cries?
(a) The chorus.
(b) Medea's children.
6. What reaction does the Nurse have to Medea's pain?
(a) She sympathizes but wants Medea to stop crying.
(b) She tells Medea it's her own fault.
(c) She pities Medea.
(d) She thinks Medea is too emotional.
7. What word best describes Medea's emotional reaction to Creon?
8. According to the chorus, what does excessive love bring?
(a) Either great happiness or great despair.
(b) Destruction of reason.
(c) Pain for everyone involved.
(d) Dangerous passion and foolishness.
9. Why does Jason say dealing with Medea is hopeless?
(a) She won't ever tell him what she really thinks.
(b) He loves her too much to hurt her.
(c) She is too stubborn and outspoken.
(d) He can't understand her through her thick accent.
10. Why does Medea believe Jason looked for another woman?
(a) He is embarrassed by Medea.
(b) They are no longer intimate.
(c) He isn't able to have more children with Medea.
(d) He wants to marry into money.
11. What has Jason said is his intent with regard to his children?
(a) He wants them to be shipped back to Medea's homeland.
(b) He doesn't intend to help support them.
(c) He intends to move them in with him and his new wife.
(d) He wants to send them away for military training.
12. What is the Nurse's reaction when she learns what Jason thinks about the plan involving Medea?
(a) She doesn't really care.
(b) She is upset for Medea.
(c) She is enraged.
(d) She is surprised.
13. What does Jason offer Medea towards the end of their argument?
(a) A golden ring to sell for money.
(b) An opportunity to stay in the city.
(c) Money to support herself and the children.
14. To whom does the Nurse say Medea cries for comfort?
(a) Her children.
(b) The servants.
(d) The gods.
15. What does Jason think influences women's judgment?
(a) Their inability to see reason.
(b) Other women and children.
(c) The warmth and intimacy of love..
(d) The sun, the moon, and the tides of the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Creon sympathetic as a character?
2. What prevents Medea from returning to her homeland?
3. How does Medea plan to exact her revenge?
4. What does Creon, despite his actions, believe compassion leads to?
5. Why does the author emphasize several times that Medea is a "stranger in a strange land"?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)