|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Jason intend to marry?
(b) Medea's cousin.
(c) Aegeus's sister.
(d) Creon's daughter.
2. What supernatural ability is Medea said to have?
(a) It's not specifically said, but she is called a witch.
(b) She is able to read thoughts and project her own.
(c) The ability to foretell and change the future.
(d) The ability to curse people to die horribly.
3. What is the Tutor's belief about people?
(a) They generally are just trying to get along without trouble.
(b) They want to find personal peace at whatever cost.
(c) They are good at heart and want to help others.
(d) They all love themselves more than others.
4. What is the Nurse's reaction when she learns what Jason thinks about the plan involving Medea?
(a) She is enraged.
(b) She doesn't really care.
(c) She is upset for Medea.
(d) She is surprised.
5. What does Jason believe Medea gained by coming to his homeland?
(a) Pain and Misfortune.
(b) Civilization and Honor.
(c) Money and Fame.
(d) Status and Prestige.
6. Who does Medea plan to take revenge against?
(a) Jason, his new wife, and Creon.
(b) Jason, the Nurse, and the Tutor.
(c) The Nurse, Jason, and the chorus.
(d) Her children, Creon and Aegeus.
7. What bargain does Medea strike with Creon?
(a) That her children must leave but she can stay.
(b) That she doesn't have to leave for a year.
(c) That she can stay as a servant to Creon.
(d) That she can stay one more day.
8. What did Medea persuade the king's daughters to do in order to let Jason leave with the Fleece?
(a) Kill their father.
(b) Lie to the town police.
(c) Bribe an official to let him out of the city.
(d) Help Jason hide from the guards.
9. What prevents Creon from helping Medea or seeing her point of view?
(a) His beliefs about women and their role in society.
(b) His strong friendship with Jason.
(c) His love for his daughter and desire to see her happy.
(d) His desire to rid his kingdom of a foreign menace.
10. Why does Medea claim she is refusing Jason's money?
(a) She can get money from her family instead.
(b) She can provide adequately for herself.
(c) He doesn't have enough to give her.
(d) Money gained from a bad man is no good.
11. Who orders Medea to leave with her children?
(b) The Nurse.
12. In the time the play was written, what would the audience have typically known before coming to the theater?
(a) The names of the actors involved.
(b) When to applaud.
(c) The story of the play.
(d) The end of the story.
13. Why does the Nurse think Medea will refuse to exit her home?
(a) She doesn't really like the women of the chorus.
(b) She is too angry.
(c) She is afraid to go outside.
(d) She doesn't want anyone to see her tear-stained face.
14. What function does the chorus's ode serve after the fight between Medea and Creon?
(a) It gives time for a scene change.
(b) It offers more exposition to explain what is happening.
(c) It illuminates the subtext behind the relationship between the two.
(d) It gives the audience a breather from the intensity of the scene.
15. What does the chorus comment that they can hear in Medea's cries?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Medea save Jason's life?
2. Who does Medea curse when she hears the news about the plans for her and her children?
3. What does the chorus express about Medea's anger toward Jason?
4. What does Medea think about Jason's argument for his actions?
5. Why is Medea glad to see Jason at first?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)