|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Medea glad to see Jason at first?
(a) She wants the opportunity to kill him face-to-face.
(b) Because she needs his advice on where to go.
(c) She thinks she can convince him to come back to her.
(d) So she can finally vent her anger in person.
2. What is the name of Jason's ship?
(a) The Labyrinth.
(b) The Golden Fleece.
(c) The Nautilus.
(d) The Argo.
3. What attitude does Jason have towards Medea when he appears?
4. What characters interrupt the Nurse's monologue?
(a) The Tutor and children.
(b) Creon and his daughter.
(c) Aegeus and Creon.
(d) Jason and his lover.
5. Why does Medea believe Jason looked for another woman?
(a) He isn't able to have more children with Medea.
(b) He wants to marry into money.
(c) He is embarrassed by Medea.
(d) They are no longer intimate.
6. What does Jason believe Medea gained by coming to his homeland?
(a) Civilization and Honor.
(b) Status and Prestige.
(c) Pain and Misfortune.
(d) Money and Fame.
7. What does Jason think influences women's judgment?
(a) Their inability to see reason.
(b) Other women and children.
(c) The warmth and intimacy of love..
(d) The sun, the moon, and the tides of the sea.
8. Why doesn't Creon trust Medea's reasons for allowing her to stay?
(a) She sounds too angry to be able to live there peacefully.
(b) They don't sound real to him.
(c) He thinks she is clever enough to be manipulative.
(d) He has heard stories about her and thinks she is a liar.
9. What does Medea think about Jason's argument for his actions?
(a) He is just making excuses for his bad behavior.
(b) He has a point about getting more money.
(c) He is doing what he needs to save his honor.
(d) He could have had a mistress without getting a divorce.
10. When did Medea kill for Jason?
(a) When he was trying to escape with the Golden Fleece.
(b) Just before their first child was born.
(c) Aboard the Argo when they were attacked by sirens.
(d) Several times throughout their marriage.
11. Why does Medea first consent to leave her home and meet with the chorus?
(a) She is afraid if she stays inside any longer she will go mad.
(b) She wants to find out if they have information about where to find Jason.
(c) It's important to foreigners to keep up good relations with the locals.
(d) She needs friends to comfort her and help her plan for the future.
12. Who does Medea plan to take revenge against?
(a) Her children, Creon and Aegeus.
(b) Jason, the Nurse, and the Tutor.
(c) Jason, his new wife, and Creon.
(d) The Nurse, Jason, and the chorus.
13. After the chorus first arrives, what prayer does Medea send to the gods?
(a) That she be killed soon to relieve her pain.
(b) That she be allowed to see Jason's life destroyed.
(c) That she forget her love so she can go on.
(d) That the woman Jason is leaving her for be punished.
14. What does the chorus tell Medea about men?
(a) They are never satisfied with just one woman.
(b) They betray women all the time.
(c) They are dangerous to love.
(d) They tend to stray but always come back.
15. Who appears to check on Medea after hearing her cries?
(b) Medea's children.
(d) The chorus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Medea claim she is refusing Jason's money?
2. What does Medea say about the value of being clever?
3. What prevents Medea from returning to her homeland?
4. What does Medea think about women who have been wronged by a lover?
5. Why does Jason claim Medea should think his plan is good?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)