|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jason say dealing with Medea is hopeless?
(a) She won't ever tell him what she really thinks.
(b) He can't understand her through her thick accent.
(c) She is too stubborn and outspoken.
(d) He loves her too much to hurt her.
2. What character has the strongest position in Part 3?
3. Who appears to check on Medea after hearing her cries?
(a) The chorus.
(b) Medea's children.
4. What bargain does Medea strike with Creon?
(a) That she doesn't have to leave for a year.
(b) That she can stay one more day.
(c) That she can stay as a servant to Creon.
(d) That her children must leave but she can stay.
5. Why does Medea first consent to leave her home and meet with the chorus?
(a) She needs friends to comfort her and help her plan for the future.
(b) She wants to find out if they have information about where to find Jason.
(c) She is afraid if she stays inside any longer she will go mad.
(d) It's important to foreigners to keep up good relations with the locals.
6. What choice does Jason claim Medea will regret in the future?
(a) Arranging to go back to her homeland.
(b) Threatening the King.
(c) Staying in a kingdom nearby.
(d) Refusing his money.
7. Whom does Jason intend to marry?
(a) Creon's daughter.
(c) Medea's cousin.
(d) Aegeus's sister.
8. What does Jason offer Medea towards the end of their argument?
(a) An opportunity to stay in the city.
(b) A golden ring to sell for money.
(d) Money to support herself and the children.
9. Medea longs to go to what place that she's forbidden to visit?
(a) Her homeland.
(c) Creon's palace.
10. What two characters are getting divorced?
(a) Jason and Medea.
(b) Jason and Hecate.
(c) Medea and Creon.
(d) Aegeus and Medea.
11. What has Jason said is his intent with regard to his children?
(a) He wants them to be shipped back to Medea's homeland.
(b) He intends to move them in with him and his new wife.
(c) He wants to send them away for military training.
(d) He doesn't intend to help support them.
12. Who explains why Medea is crying to the chorus?
(b) The Tutor.
(c) The boys.
(d) The Nurse.
13. To whom does the Nurse say Medea cries for comfort?
(b) Her children.
(c) The servants.
(d) The gods.
14. What does Jason say he has done on Medea's behalf?
(a) Tried to intercede with Creon.
(b) Encouraged the neighbors to befriend her.
(c) Convinced his new wife Medea is harmless.
(d) Taken her from a barbaric land.
15. Why does Medea think Jason is a coward?
(a) He wasn't willing to stand up for Medea with the other Greeks.
(b) She was the only reason he got the Golden Fleece.
(c) He should have talked to her before going to another woman.
(d) He is too afraid of Creon to speak up for Medea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creon, despite his actions, believe compassion leads to?
2. What is Jason's reaction to the plan involving Medea?
3. Why doesn't Creon trust Medea's reasons for allowing her to stay?
4. Why does the Nurse send the children inside after hearing the Tutor's news?
5. What stands in the way of Medea enacting her plans immediately?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)