|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chorus do when they learn of Medea's plans for revenge?
(a) Argue with Medea about her plans.
(b) Promise to keep them secret.
(c) Protest that she is out of her mind.
(d) Send someone to warn the King.
2. Why is Medea being banished?
(a) She has had an affair and that is the punishment.
(b) Creon doesn't like her because she's a foreigner.
(c) Jason's new wife doesn't like having her around.
(d) Creon is afraid of her and what she'll do.
3. What bargain does Medea strike with Creon?
(a) That she can stay one more day.
(b) That she can stay as a servant to Creon.
(c) That her children must leave but she can stay.
(d) That she doesn't have to leave for a year.
4. What attitude does Jason have towards Medea when he appears?
5. Who appears to check on Medea after hearing her cries?
(b) The chorus.
(d) Medea's children.
6. In the time the play was written, what would the audience have typically known before coming to the theater?
(a) The story of the play.
(b) When to applaud.
(c) The names of the actors involved.
(d) The end of the story.
7. According to the chorus, what does excessive love bring?
(a) Either great happiness or great despair.
(b) Pain for everyone involved.
(c) Dangerous passion and foolishness.
(d) Destruction of reason.
8. What goddess does Medea invoke as she plans her revenge?
9. Why would Medea like the gods to place a mark on men?
(a) To denote their status as lower than women.
(b) To distinguish those that can be trusted from those that can't.
(c) To remind women none is trustworthy.
(d) To prevent them from telling lies.
10. Who explains why Medea is crying to the chorus?
(b) The boys.
(c) The Nurse.
(d) The Tutor.
11. What does Medea think about women who have been wronged by a lover?
(a) They are capable of extreme violence.
(b) They need support from the government to get by.
(c) They are weak victims that need protection.
(d) They are at fault for not pleasing their man.
12. Which character caused Medea's rage?
(d) The Nurse.
13. What is Jason's reaction to the plan involving Medea?
(a) He doesn't know what's being plotted.
(b) He wants to come up with a better plan.
(c) He is furious and stands up for his wife.
(d) He is ready to go along with it.
14. What does the Nurse feel is best for people?
(a) Moderation in all things.
(b) Getting anger out so it doesn't fester.
(c) Expressing feelings openly and without reserve.
(d) Open and honest communication.
15. What supernatural ability is Medea said to have?
(a) The ability to curse people to die horribly.
(b) The ability to foretell and change the future.
(c) It's not specifically said, but she is called a witch.
(d) She is able to read thoughts and project her own.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Medea plan to take revenge against?
2. What does Medea think about Jason's argument for his actions?
3. What has Jason agreed to do while Medea and her children are in exile?
4. Why does Medea first consent to leave her home and meet with the chorus?
5. What has Creon's experience been with showing mercy?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)