|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Medea think Jason is a coward?
(a) He should have talked to her before going to another woman.
(b) He is too afraid of Creon to speak up for Medea.
(c) He wasn't willing to stand up for Medea with the other Greeks.
(d) She was the only reason he got the Golden Fleece.
2. Why doesn't Creon trust Medea's reasons for allowing her to stay?
(a) He has heard stories about her and thinks she is a liar.
(b) He thinks she is clever enough to be manipulative.
(c) She sounds too angry to be able to live there peacefully.
(d) They don't sound real to him.
3. What has Creon's experience been with showing mercy?
(a) It yields large rewards in terms of public opinion.
(b) It makes him look weak.
(c) It gets him into trouble.
(d) It makes him many new friends.
4. Why is Medea being banished?
(a) She has had an affair and that is the punishment.
(b) Creon doesn't like her because she's a foreigner.
(c) Creon is afraid of her and what she'll do.
(d) Jason's new wife doesn't like having her around.
5. What is the Tutor's belief about people?
(a) They want to find personal peace at whatever cost.
(b) They are good at heart and want to help others.
(c) They generally are just trying to get along without trouble.
(d) They all love themselves more than others.
6. What does the Nurse fear at the beginning of the play?
(a) Medea will take violent revenge.
(b) The children will be upset when they see their parents fighting.
(c) Jason will kill Medea for being too contrary.
(d) She will lose her job in the divorce.
7. Why does Medea feel immigrant women need to work particularly hard?
(a) They don't have the same rights as citizens.
(b) They are never fully welcome or at home.
(c) They don't know the language and have to overcome the barrier.
(d) They are looked down on as second-class citizens.
8. Who explains why Medea is crying to the chorus?
(a) The Nurse.
(b) The Tutor.
(d) The boys.
9. Why does Medea have no choice but to trust Jason?
(a) He is the only person that speaks her language.
(b) He can get her out of the country alive.
(c) She needs to provide for her children.
(d) A spell was placed on him that makes him tell the truth.
10. What does the chorus do when they learn of Medea's plans for revenge?
(a) Protest that she is out of her mind.
(b) Send someone to warn the King.
(c) Argue with Medea about her plans.
(d) Promise to keep them secret.
11. What does Jason think influences women's judgment?
(a) The warmth and intimacy of love..
(b) The sun, the moon, and the tides of the sea.
(c) Their inability to see reason.
(d) Other women and children.
12. Who orders Medea to leave with her children?
(a) The Nurse.
13. What function does the chorus's ode serve after the fight between Medea and Creon?
(a) It offers more exposition to explain what is happening.
(b) It gives time for a scene change.
(c) It gives the audience a breather from the intensity of the scene.
(d) It illuminates the subtext behind the relationship between the two.
14. What reaction does the Nurse have to Medea's pain?
(a) She tells Medea it's her own fault.
(b) She sympathizes but wants Medea to stop crying.
(c) She pities Medea.
(d) She thinks Medea is too emotional.
15. What two characters are getting divorced?
(a) Medea and Creon.
(b) Aegeus and Medea.
(c) Jason and Medea.
(d) Jason and Hecate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first character to appear in the play?
2. Who does Medea plan to take revenge against?
3. Which character caused Medea's rage?
4. Why does Medea say Creon's mercy was foolish?
5. What does the Nurse feel is best for people?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)