|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jason's reaction to the plan involving Medea?
(a) He doesn't know what's being plotted.
(b) He is ready to go along with it.
(c) He is furious and stands up for his wife.
(d) He wants to come up with a better plan.
2. How does Medea think women generally feel?
(a) Comforted and happy.
(b) Happy and maternal.
(c) Fearful and defenseless.
(d) Fearful and vengeful.
3. What does Jason say he has done on Medea's behalf?
(a) Convinced his new wife Medea is harmless.
(b) Taken her from a barbaric land.
(c) Tried to intercede with Creon.
(d) Encouraged the neighbors to befriend her.
4. Who does Medea plan to take revenge against?
(a) Her children, Creon and Aegeus.
(b) The Nurse, Jason, and the chorus.
(c) Jason, the Nurse, and the Tutor.
(d) Jason, his new wife, and Creon.
5. Who orders Medea to leave with her children?
(d) The Nurse.
6. Who does Medea curse when she hears the news about the plans for her and her children?
(a) Aegeus and Jason.
(b) Jason and his lover.
(c) Creon and his daughter.
(d) Jason and her children.
7. To whom does the Nurse say Medea cries for comfort?
(a) Her children.
(b) The gods.
(d) The servants.
8. After the chorus first arrives, what prayer does Medea send to the gods?
(a) That she be allowed to see Jason's life destroyed.
(b) That she forget her love so she can go on.
(c) That the woman Jason is leaving her for be punished.
(d) That she be killed soon to relieve her pain.
9. What has Jason said is his intent with regard to his children?
(a) He doesn't intend to help support them.
(b) He wants to send them away for military training.
(c) He intends to move them in with him and his new wife.
(d) He wants them to be shipped back to Medea's homeland.
10. Why does Medea believe Jason looked for another woman?
(a) He isn't able to have more children with Medea.
(b) He wants to marry into money.
(c) They are no longer intimate.
(d) He is embarrassed by Medea.
11. Why is Medea being banished?
(a) Creon doesn't like her because she's a foreigner.
(b) Jason's new wife doesn't like having her around.
(c) She has had an affair and that is the punishment.
(d) Creon is afraid of her and what she'll do.
12. What does the chorus comment that they can hear in Medea's cries?
13. What does Medea think about the way women are treated by men in Greece?
(a) They are treated worse than slaves.
(b) They are treated well enough.
(c) They are treated very badly in general.
(d) They are treated with the same tolerance as children.
14. What makes Creon sympathetic as a character?
(a) His love for his daughter.
(b) His struggle to be compassionate.
(c) His desire to rule his people fairly.
(d) His being victimized for something he didn't do.
15. Why doesn't Creon trust Medea's reasons for allowing her to stay?
(a) He has heard stories about her and thinks she is a liar.
(b) They don't sound real to him.
(c) He thinks she is clever enough to be manipulative.
(d) She sounds too angry to be able to live there peacefully.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bargain does Medea strike with Creon?
2. What attitude does Jason have towards Medea when he appears?
3. What is the purpose of the first section of the play?
4. What does Jason believe Medea gained by coming to his homeland?
5. According to the chorus, what does excessive love bring?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)