|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the first section of the play?
(a) To introduce every character in the play.
(b) To offer background information.
(c) To make the audience laugh before the tragedy begins.
(d) To apologize for any parts the audience may not like.
2. What plans are made regarding Medea in order to facilitate the wedding?
(a) To execute her on false charges.
(b) To banish her to a nunnery.
(c) To send her and her children into exile.
(d) To set her up in a country estate she may not leave.
3. Why does Medea believe Jason looked for another woman?
(a) He wants to marry into money.
(b) They are no longer intimate.
(c) He isn't able to have more children with Medea.
(d) He is embarrassed by Medea.
4. What did Medea persuade the king's daughters to do in order to let Jason leave with the Fleece?
(a) Kill their father.
(b) Lie to the town police.
(c) Help Jason hide from the guards.
(d) Bribe an official to let him out of the city.
5. Why would Medea like the gods to place a mark on men?
(a) To remind women none is trustworthy.
(b) To denote their status as lower than women.
(c) To distinguish those that can be trusted from those that can't.
(d) To prevent them from telling lies.
6. What does Medea say about the value of being clever?
(a) That it is the most important skill to get by in life and survive in a strange land.
(b) That it hasn't helped her very much, earning her enemies rather than friends.
(c) That it is on par with being moral, and only matters in the eye of the beholder.
(d) That it is something women learn from birth in order to survive the men they meet.
7. What prevents Medea from returning to her homeland?
(a) Her pride.
(b) There is no ship that will go there.
(c) She is forbidden from returning by Creon.
(d) She is a criminal there.
8. Who explains why Medea is crying to the chorus?
(b) The boys.
(c) The Tutor.
(d) The Nurse.
9. When did Medea kill for Jason?
(a) When he was trying to escape with the Golden Fleece.
(b) Aboard the Argo when they were attacked by sirens.
(c) Just before their first child was born.
(d) Several times throughout their marriage.
10. How does Medea think women generally feel?
(a) Fearful and vengeful.
(b) Comforted and happy.
(c) Fearful and defenseless.
(d) Happy and maternal.
11. What does the Nurse feel is best for people?
(a) Moderation in all things.
(b) Open and honest communication.
(c) Expressing feelings openly and without reserve.
(d) Getting anger out so it doesn't fester.
12. Medea longs to go to what place that she's forbidden to visit?
(a) Creon's palace.
(b) Her homeland.
13. What does Jason offer Medea towards the end of their argument?
(a) An opportunity to stay in the city.
(c) A golden ring to sell for money.
(d) Money to support herself and the children.
14. In the time the play was written, what would the audience have typically known before coming to the theater?
(a) When to applaud.
(b) The story of the play.
(c) The end of the story.
(d) The names of the actors involved.
15. What does Jason claim motivated him to leave Medea for the princess?
(a) He needs money to pay his debts.
(b) A desire to better support his family.
(c) He wants a prettier wife.
(d) It's the only way for him to advance socially.
Short Answer Questions
1. What goddess does Medea invoke as she plans her revenge?
2. Why does Jason claim Medea should think his plan is good?
3. What does the Nurse fear at the beginning of the play?
4. What country is the myth of Medea from?
5. Why does Medea first consent to leave her home and meet with the chorus?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)