|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Medea kill for Jason?
(a) Several times throughout their marriage.
(b) When he was trying to escape with the Golden Fleece.
(c) Aboard the Argo when they were attacked by sirens.
(d) Just before their first child was born.
2. What is the name of Jason's ship?
(a) The Golden Fleece.
(b) The Argo.
(c) The Labyrinth.
(d) The Nautilus.
3. According to the chorus, what does excessive love bring?
(a) Destruction of reason.
(b) Pain for everyone involved.
(c) Either great happiness or great despair.
(d) Dangerous passion and foolishness.
4. What has Creon's experience been with showing mercy?
(a) It makes him many new friends.
(b) It yields large rewards in terms of public opinion.
(c) It gets him into trouble.
(d) It makes him look weak.
5. How does Medea plan to exact her revenge?
(a) Acid trap.
(d) Hired assassin.
6. What characters interrupt the Nurse's monologue?
(a) Creon and his daughter.
(b) Aegeus and Creon.
(c) Jason and his lover.
(d) The Tutor and children.
7. What does Jason believe Medea gained by coming to his homeland?
(a) Money and Fame.
(b) Pain and Misfortune.
(c) Civilization and Honor.
(d) Status and Prestige.
8. Why does Medea promise she won't hurt Creon?
(a) He is only a father giving away his daughter to a good man.
(b) She is afraid of him and his soldiers.
(c) He has been a friend to her and she wouldn't betray his trust.
(d) He is too powerful and if she tried she would surely fail.
9. How did Medea save Jason's life?
(a) She killed a traitor among his men that was plotting his death.
(b) She convinced him to stop adventuring away from home.
(c) She discovered a leak aboard the Argo that could have drowned him.
(d) She enabled him to get the Golden Fleece and escape alive.
10. What does Medea say about the value of being clever?
(a) That it is the most important skill to get by in life and survive in a strange land.
(b) That it is something women learn from birth in order to survive the men they meet.
(c) That it is on par with being moral, and only matters in the eye of the beholder.
(d) That it hasn't helped her very much, earning her enemies rather than friends.
11. What does the chorus express about Medea's anger toward Jason?
(a) That it will give her the strength to survive.
(b) That he isn't worth it.
(c) That it won't accomplish anything.
(d) That it's perfectly appropriate.
12. What two characters are getting divorced?
(a) Jason and Medea.
(b) Aegeus and Medea.
(c) Medea and Creon.
(d) Jason and Hecate.
13. Whom does Jason intend to marry?
(a) Medea's cousin.
(b) Aegeus's sister.
(c) Creon's daughter.
14. What would the chorus like Medea to do when they first arrive?
(a) Go back to her homeland and leave her children behind.
(b) Come out so they can comfort her.
(c) Find a way to revenge herself against her husband.
(d) Stop crying and tend her children.
15. What supernatural ability is Medea said to have?
(a) The ability to foretell and change the future.
(b) It's not specifically said, but she is called a witch.
(c) The ability to curse people to die horribly.
(d) She is able to read thoughts and project her own.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first character to appear in the play?
2. Why would Medea like the gods to place a mark on men?
3. Medea longs to go to what place that she's forbidden to visit?
4. What has Jason said is his intent with regard to his children?
5. What does the chorus do when they learn of Medea's plans for revenge?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)