|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chorus comment that they can hear in Medea's cries?
2. What does Jason say he has done on Medea's behalf?
(a) Encouraged the neighbors to befriend her.
(b) Taken her from a barbaric land.
(c) Tried to intercede with Creon.
(d) Convinced his new wife Medea is harmless.
3. Who does Medea plan to take revenge against?
(a) Jason, the Nurse, and the Tutor.
(b) Her children, Creon and Aegeus.
(c) Jason, his new wife, and Creon.
(d) The Nurse, Jason, and the chorus.
4. Why does Medea claim she is refusing Jason's money?
(a) Money gained from a bad man is no good.
(b) She can provide adequately for herself.
(c) He doesn't have enough to give her.
(d) She can get money from her family instead.
5. To whom does the Nurse say Medea cries for comfort?
(b) The gods.
(c) The servants.
(d) Her children.
6. How does Medea think women generally feel?
(a) Comforted and happy.
(b) Fearful and defenseless.
(c) Fearful and vengeful.
(d) Happy and maternal.
7. Why is Medea glad to see Jason at first?
(a) So she can finally vent her anger in person.
(b) She wants the opportunity to kill him face-to-face.
(c) She thinks she can convince him to come back to her.
(d) Because she needs his advice on where to go.
8. Why does Medea think Jason is a coward?
(a) She was the only reason he got the Golden Fleece.
(b) He should have talked to her before going to another woman.
(c) He is too afraid of Creon to speak up for Medea.
(d) He wasn't willing to stand up for Medea with the other Greeks.
9. Why does the Nurse think Medea will refuse to exit her home?
(a) She is too angry.
(b) She is afraid to go outside.
(c) She doesn't want anyone to see her tear-stained face.
(d) She doesn't really like the women of the chorus.
10. What does Jason offer Medea towards the end of their argument?
(a) A golden ring to sell for money.
(b) An opportunity to stay in the city.
(d) Money to support herself and the children.
11. What is the name of Jason's ship?
(a) The Golden Fleece.
(b) The Labyrinth.
(c) The Nautilus.
(d) The Argo.
12. What are the women of this play communally struggling against?
(a) The ability to be a good mother while having to work.
(b) The prejudices against women in ancient Greece.
(c) The balance between independence and homemaking.
(d) The desire to kill men for their betrayals.
13. What prevents Creon from helping Medea or seeing her point of view?
(a) His desire to rid his kingdom of a foreign menace.
(b) His love for his daughter and desire to see her happy.
(c) His strong friendship with Jason.
(d) His beliefs about women and their role in society.
14. Why does Medea promise she won't hurt Creon?
(a) He has been a friend to her and she wouldn't betray his trust.
(b) He is too powerful and if she tried she would surely fail.
(c) He is only a father giving away his daughter to a good man.
(d) She is afraid of him and his soldiers.
15. Medea longs to go to what place that she's forbidden to visit?
(c) Her homeland.
(d) Creon's palace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Nurse's reaction when she learns what Jason thinks about the plan involving Medea?
2. Why does Medea first consent to leave her home and meet with the chorus?
3. Why doesn't Creon trust Medea's reasons for allowing her to stay?
4. What reaction does the Nurse have to Medea's pain?
5. What supernatural ability is Medea said to have?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)