|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chorus do when they learn of Medea's plans for revenge?
(a) Promise to keep them secret.
(b) Protest that she is out of her mind.
(c) Argue with Medea about her plans.
(d) Send someone to warn the King.
2. What makes Creon sympathetic as a character?
(a) His struggle to be compassionate.
(b) His desire to rule his people fairly.
(c) His being victimized for something he didn't do.
(d) His love for his daughter.
3. What prevents Creon from helping Medea or seeing her point of view?
(a) His beliefs about women and their role in society.
(b) His desire to rid his kingdom of a foreign menace.
(c) His love for his daughter and desire to see her happy.
(d) His strong friendship with Jason.
4. Why does Aegeus swear an oath to Medea?
(a) To keep her from poisoning his family.
(b) So she will heal his wife.
(c) To prove he is trustworthy.
(d) So she can call on him for assistance in the future.
5. What function does the chorus's ode serve after the fight between Medea and Creon?
(a) It offers more exposition to explain what is happening.
(b) It illuminates the subtext behind the relationship between the two.
(c) It gives the audience a breather from the intensity of the scene.
(d) It gives time for a scene change.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the chorus, who is the only other woman to have killed her own child?
2. What theme, central to the play, does the chorus frequently reiterate?
3. What does Medea say is the only thing stronger than her sorrow?
4. Why does Medea think she might not be able to trust Aegeus?
5. What title does Aegeus hold?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)