|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the chorus first arrives, what prayer does Medea send to the gods?
(a) That the woman Jason is leaving her for be punished.
(b) That she be killed soon to relieve her pain.
(c) That she forget her love so she can go on.
(d) That she be allowed to see Jason's life destroyed.
2. What supernatural ability is Medea said to have?
(a) It's not specifically said, but she is called a witch.
(b) The ability to foretell and change the future.
(c) The ability to curse people to die horribly.
(d) She is able to read thoughts and project her own.
3. What are the women of this play communally struggling against?
(a) The ability to be a good mother while having to work.
(b) The prejudices against women in ancient Greece.
(c) The desire to kill men for their betrayals.
(d) The balance between independence and homemaking.
4. Why does Medea promise she won't hurt Creon?
(a) He is only a father giving away his daughter to a good man.
(b) He is too powerful and if she tried she would surely fail.
(c) She is afraid of him and his soldiers.
(d) He has been a friend to her and she wouldn't betray his trust.
5. What does the chorus do when they learn of Medea's plans for revenge?
(a) Protest that she is out of her mind.
(b) Argue with Medea about her plans.
(c) Promise to keep them secret.
(d) Send someone to warn the King.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Jason intend to marry?
2. Who is the first character to appear in the play?
3. What does Jason offer Medea towards the end of their argument?
4. What prevents Medea from returning to her homeland?
5. Why does Medea claim she is refusing Jason's money?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)