|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Medea feel immigrant women need to work particularly hard?
(a) They don't know the language and have to overcome the barrier.
(b) They are looked down on as second-class citizens.
(c) They don't have the same rights as citizens.
(d) They are never fully welcome or at home.
2. What theme, central to the play, does the chorus frequently reiterate?
(a) That men always betray women.
(b) That marriages are doomed to fail.
(c) That women cannot be trusted.
(d) That children are weapons against a mother.
3. Whom does Jason intend to marry?
(a) Medea's cousin.
(b) Aegeus's sister.
(d) Creon's daughter.
4. Why does Medea first consent to leave her home and meet with the chorus?
(a) She is afraid if she stays inside any longer she will go mad.
(b) It's important to foreigners to keep up good relations with the locals.
(c) She needs friends to comfort her and help her plan for the future.
(d) She wants to find out if they have information about where to find Jason.
5. In the time the play was written, what would the audience have typically known before coming to the theater?
(a) When to applaud.
(b) The end of the story.
(c) The story of the play.
(d) The names of the actors involved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would the chorus like Medea to do when they first arrive?
2. Why does the author emphasize several times that Medea is a "stranger in a strange land"?
3. What attitude does Jason have towards Medea when he appears?
4. What does the Nurse fear at the beginning of the play?
5. How did Medea save Jason's life?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)