|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What theme, central to the play, does the chorus frequently reiterate?
(a) That men always betray women.
(b) That women cannot be trusted.
(c) That marriages are doomed to fail.
(d) That children are weapons against a mother.
2. What are the women of this play communally struggling against?
(a) The prejudices against women in ancient Greece.
(b) The balance between independence and homemaking.
(c) The desire to kill men for their betrayals.
(d) The ability to be a good mother while having to work.
3. What was Jason's mission when he and Medea met?
(a) To find glory and live forever in legend.
(b) To find a beautiful wife.
(c) To capture the Golden Fleece.
(d) To negotiate peace with Thebes.
4. What does Jason believe Medea gained by coming to his homeland?
(a) Money and Fame.
(b) Status and Prestige.
(c) Pain and Misfortune.
(d) Civilization and Honor.
5. Who did the Tutor overhear making plans?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Medea persuade the king's daughters to do in order to let Jason leave with the Fleece?
2. What stands in the way of Medea enacting her plans immediately?
3. Why does Medea feel immigrant women need to work particularly hard?
4. According to the chorus, what does excessive love bring?
5. In the time the play was written, what would the audience have typically known before coming to the theater?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)