|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country is the myth of Medea from?
2. Who does Medea plan to take revenge against?
(a) Jason, the Nurse, and the Tutor.
(b) The Nurse, Jason, and the chorus.
(c) Jason, his new wife, and Creon.
(d) Her children, Creon and Aegeus.
3. What stands in the way of Medea enacting her plans immediately?
(a) She can't get to her victims in the dark and must wait until morning.
(b) She has to take the time to prepare mentally.
(c) She needs a place to go afterwards.
(d) She needs to collect special herbs by moonlight.
4. What does Medea say about the value of being clever?
(a) That it hasn't helped her very much, earning her enemies rather than friends.
(b) That it is the most important skill to get by in life and survive in a strange land.
(c) That it is on par with being moral, and only matters in the eye of the beholder.
(d) That it is something women learn from birth in order to survive the men they meet.
5. What is the Tutor's belief about people?
(a) They generally are just trying to get along without trouble.
(b) They are good at heart and want to help others.
(c) They want to find personal peace at whatever cost.
(d) They all love themselves more than others.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the author emphasize several times that Medea is a "stranger in a strange land"?
2. What does the chorus comment that they can hear in Medea's cries?
3. After the chorus first arrives, what prayer does Medea send to the gods?
4. What does the chorus do when they learn of Medea's plans for revenge?
5. Who appears to check on Medea after hearing her cries?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)