|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What function does the chorus's ode serve after the fight between Medea and Creon?
(a) It illuminates the subtext behind the relationship between the two.
(b) It gives time for a scene change.
(c) It offers more exposition to explain what is happening.
(d) It gives the audience a breather from the intensity of the scene.
2. What does Medea think about the way women are treated by men in Greece?
(a) They are treated very badly in general.
(b) They are treated well enough.
(c) They are treated with the same tolerance as children.
(d) They are treated worse than slaves.
3. Why does the Nurse think Medea will refuse to exit her home?
(a) She doesn't really like the women of the chorus.
(b) She is afraid to go outside.
(c) She is too angry.
(d) She doesn't want anyone to see her tear-stained face.
4. What bargain does Medea strike with Creon?
(a) That she can stay one more day.
(b) That she can stay as a servant to Creon.
(c) That she doesn't have to leave for a year.
(d) That her children must leave but she can stay.
5. What has Creon's experience been with showing mercy?
(a) It makes him many new friends.
(b) It yields large rewards in terms of public opinion.
(c) It gets him into trouble.
(d) It makes him look weak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes Medea's emotional reaction to Creon?
2. What does the Nurse feel is best for people?
3. Why does Medea first consent to leave her home and meet with the chorus?
4. Who appears to check on Medea after hearing her cries?
5. What two characters are getting divorced?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)