|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Medea so happy when Aegeus leaves?
(a) He promised not to tell her plans to Creon.
(b) Now she can carry out her revenge.
(c) She is secretly in love with him.
(d) She feels better after speaking with a friend.
2. Why does the author emphasize several times that Medea is a "stranger in a strange land"?
(a) It reveals that Jason probably left her due to cultural differences.
(b) It makes it easier to see why she doesn't have many friends.
(c) It makes her character more sympathetic.
(d) It shows that she might not understand that murder is illegal.
3. What are the women of this play communally struggling against?
(a) The ability to be a good mother while having to work.
(b) The prejudices against women in ancient Greece.
(c) The desire to kill men for their betrayals.
(d) The balance between independence and homemaking.
4. What does the Nurse feel is best for people?
(a) Moderation in all things.
(b) Getting anger out so it doesn't fester.
(c) Expressing feelings openly and without reserve.
(d) Open and honest communication.
5. What is Jason's reaction to the plan involving Medea?
(a) He is ready to go along with it.
(b) He is furious and stands up for his wife.
(c) He doesn't know what's being plotted.
(d) He wants to come up with a better plan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Nurse fear at the beginning of the play?
2. Why does Jason say dealing with Medea is hopeless?
3. In the time the play was written, what would the audience have typically known before coming to the theater?
4. Why does the Nurse send the children inside after hearing the Tutor's news?
5. What does Medea have to do in order to stay with Aegeus?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)