|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long should it take the princess to die?
(a) Several weeks of illness so it can't be traced.
(b) She should die as soon as she comes into contact with the poison.
(c) It depends on how much poison she ingests.
(d) About two or three days.
2. After the deaths of Creon and the princess, what happens to Medea's plan for her children?
(a) It is stalled because Jason returns to stop her.
(b) It unravels because she is immediately captured by soldiers.
(c) She decides Jason has suffered enough and will let her children live.
(d) She becomes even more resolved to carry it out.
3. What function does the chorus's ode serve after the fight between Medea and Creon?
(a) It offers more exposition to explain what is happening.
(b) It gives time for a scene change.
(c) It illuminates the subtext behind the relationship between the two.
(d) It gives the audience a breather from the intensity of the scene.
4. Why does the author emphasize several times that Medea is a "stranger in a strange land"?
(a) It reveals that Jason probably left her due to cultural differences.
(b) It makes it easier to see why she doesn't have many friends.
(c) It shows that she might not understand that murder is illegal.
(d) It makes her character more sympathetic.
5. What does Aegeus know when he swears the oath to Medea?
(a) That Medea is angry and might harm herself.
(b) Everything about her plans to kill Jason and his bride.
(c) Only that she is being exiled, not her plans for revenge.
(d) A little bit about her plans but not enough to incriminate himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What supernatural ability is Medea said to have?
2. What prevents Creon from helping Medea or seeing her point of view?
3. Why does the chorus feel how it does for the princess?
4. What theme, central to the play, does the chorus frequently reiterate?
5. What character does the chorus have the most pity for?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)