|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Duke plan to disguise himself as?
2. How long does Pompey think the new law enforcement will last?
3. What does the new deputy want when he is appointed to his new office?
4. What position does Escalus hold?
5. Why is Angelo being so harsh in punishing Claudio?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Duke request a special meeting with Friar Peter?
2. How does the Duke help Claudio prepare for death?
3. What does Isabella do when she is told of Claudio's supposed execution?
4. Why does the Duke choose to appoint Angelo as the new deputy?
5. What message does Angelo send the Provost while the Duke is in the prison?
6. What is done in place of Barnardine's execution?
7. What arguments are brought against the death of Claudio in Act 2, Scene 2?
8. What is Mariana doing when she first appears on stage, and where is she?
9. What does the Duke say is the cause of the moral backsliding in Vienna?
10. What do Angelo and Escalus think about the letters they received from the Duke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Isabella presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What is this philosophy, and how does this different idealism affect the people around her?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Shakespeare have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)