|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Duke plan to disguise himself as?
2. What is the name of the Friar the Duke speaks with in Act 1?
3. Where does this play take place?
4. Who allows the laws in Vienna to go unenforced for so long?
5. Why is the Duke appointing a new deputy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Isabella do when she meets with Angelo?
2. What position does the Provost offer to Pompey?
3. What is Claudio arrested for?
4. What does Lucio say to the disguised Duke in the prison?
5. How does the Duke help Claudio prepare for death?
6. What is done in place of Barnardine's execution?
7. What does Isabella say at the end of the first scene she appears in?
8. How is Isabella supposed to enter Angelo's house for the rendezvous, and why?
9. What does Pompey compare prostitutes to?
10. What are Lucio and his friends talking about when they first appear on scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity was a major theme in this play as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)