|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Duke leaving the city at the beginning of the play?
2. What is the Constable's name?
3. What is Lucio joking about the first time he is on stage?
4. When does Angelo ask to see Isabella again after she pleads for her brother's life?
5. What do the gentlemen in scene two say they probably have as a result of their lifestyle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Duke's plan to save Claudio's life and please Mariana?
2. What does the Duke have to do before he leaves the city at the beginning of the book?
3. Who is Mariana?
4. What does Isabella do when she is told of Claudio's supposed execution?
5. How is the plan first explained to Mariana, and how does she feel about it?
6. What arguments are brought against the death of Claudio in Act 2, Scene 2?
7. What does the Duke do to get the Provost to disobey Angelo's orders?
8. What message does Angelo send the Provost while the Duke is in the prison?
9. What does Pompey compare prostitutes to?
10. What does the Duke say is the cause of the moral backsliding in Vienna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect those characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who is most affected by this pursuit, and how does it change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity was a major theme in this play as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)