|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Duke plan to disguise himself as?
2. Who is trying to make an example of Claudio?
3. What does Angelo tell Isabella he feels for her?
4. How does Angelo feel about Isabella's words?
5. Who questions the validity of Claudio's expedited execution?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the Constable bring before Escalus and Angelo, and what are they accused of?
2. How does the Duke feel about Claudio's sentencing in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. What does the Duke say to Isabella about Claudio's supposed execution after his disguise is made known?
4. What does Isabella think her brother will say about Angelo's proposition to her?
5. Why does the Duke choose to appoint Angelo as the new deputy?
6. How is Isabella supposed to enter Angelo's house for the rendezvous, and why?
7. What does Isabella say at the end of the first scene she appears in?
8. What does Friar Peter do with Mariana and Isabella at the end of Act 4?
9. What happens when Isabella meets with Angelo for the second time?
10. What do Angelo and Escalus think about the letters they received from the Duke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Escalus and Angelo are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this play all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)