|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does the disguised Duke give for asking the provost for some information?
2. What does the new deputy want when he is appointed to his new office?
3. What does Pompey say people will always be tempted by?
4. Who does the Duke plan to speak with when he leaves the scene after talking to the woman?
5. Why is Juliet sent away from the prison at the beginning of Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mariana doing when she first appears on stage, and where is she?
2. What does Mistress Overdone reveal about Lucio?
3. How does Angelo feel after Isabella has left?
4. Where does the Duke go in Act 2, Scene 3?
5. What does Escalus say about the Duke's idea to appoint Angelo as the new deputy?
6. What does Isabella think her brother will say about Angelo's proposition to her?
7. What does Isabella do when she is told of Claudio's supposed execution?
8. What is Claudio arrested for?
9. What does the Duke say Angelo has never done before his time as the deputy?
10. How is the plan first explained to Mariana, and how does she feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security were two themes present in this play. Where do these themes appear, and which characters are most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how do those moments affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)