|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who allows the laws in Vienna to go unenforced for so long?
2. How do the people in Vienna view the laws, according to the Duke?
3. Where does Act 2, Scene 3 take place?
4. How long have the laws been unenforced in Vienna?
5. What does Isabella call Angelo as she pleads for her brother's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message does Angelo send the Provost while the Duke is in the prison?
2. What happens when Isabella meets with Angelo for the second time?
3. What does Isabella think her brother will say about Angelo's proposition to her?
4. What does Isabella think when she is first told about her brother's arrest?
5. What does one of the accused men say about the new law enforcement measures at the beginning of Act 2?
6. What does Lucio tell Isabella about Claudio's arrest?
7. What does Friar Peter do with Mariana and Isabella at the end of Act 4?
8. What are Lucio and his friends talking about when they first appear on scene?
9. Why does Isabella think Mariana should accuse Angelo of fornication?
10. What do Angelo and Escalus think about the letters they received from the Duke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)