|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Escalus invite to his house for dinner at the beginning of Act 2?
2. What does Escalus ask the Constable for a list of?
3. What does Claudio's friend call his sister when he finds her?
4. How does Lucio react to the news that Claudio has been arrested?
5. Where does Claudio's sister want to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Angelo say when he is first called to be the new deputy?
2. What does the Duke ask Friar Peter to do during the private meeting?
3. What does the Duke say about his city at the beginning of the book?
4. How does the Duke punish Lucio?
5. What position does the Provost offer to Pompey?
6. What news does Pompey bring when he first appears on stage?
7. What happens when Isabella meets with Angelo for the second time?
8. What is done in place of Barnardine's execution?
9. How does Escalus describe the Duke in Act 3?
10. Where does the Duke go in Act 2, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Escalus and Angelo are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)