|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the new deputy want when he is appointed to his new office?
2. Who does Escalus invite to his house for dinner at the beginning of Act 2?
3. What is the occupation of Mistress Overdone?
4. What does Isabella call Angelo as she pleads for her brother's life?
5. On what point does Escalus disagree with Angelo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Isabella think Mariana should accuse Angelo of fornication?
2. What does the Duke say is the cause of the moral backsliding in Vienna?
3. What does the Duke say about his city at the beginning of the book?
4. What arguments are brought against the death of Claudio in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. How is Isabella supposed to enter Angelo's house for the rendezvous, and why?
6. Why does the Duke request a special meeting with Friar Peter?
7. What is Claudio arrested for?
8. What does Escalus ask Angelo at the beginning of Act 2, and what is Angelo's response?
9. What does the Duke say Angelo has never done before his time as the deputy?
10. Where does the Duke go in Act 2, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Escalus and Angelo are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)