|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 4, what does Angelo say he cannot stop thinking about?
2. What has Claudio been arrested for?
3. What has Angelo never had a weakness for in the past?
4. Who is the first character to speak in Act 2, Scene 3?
5. Where does this play take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Angelo and Escalus think about the letters they received from the Duke?
2. What does Lucio say to the disguised Duke in the prison?
3. Why does Isabella think Mariana should accuse Angelo of fornication?
4. What information does the Duke ask from the Provost?
5. Where does the Duke go in Act 2, Scene 3?
6. How is Isabella supposed to enter Angelo's house for the rendezvous, and why?
7. What is the Duke's plan to save Claudio's life and please Mariana?
8. What does Isabella do when she meets with Angelo?
9. What happens when Isabella meets with Angelo for the second time?
10. What does Isabella think her brother will say about Angelo's proposition to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity was a major theme in this play as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Shakespeare have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)