|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 4, what does Angelo say he cannot stop thinking about?
2. How long have the laws been unenforced in Vienna?
3. What do the gentlemen in scene two say they probably have as a result of their lifestyle?
4. How do the people in Vienna view the laws, according to the Duke?
5. How long has it been since someone was killed for fornication?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Lucio and his friends talking about when they first appear on scene?
2. What punishments are given to the men that the Constable brings before Escalus and Angelo?
3. What does the Duke say when he is left alone on stage in the prison?
4. How does Angelo feel after Isabella has left?
5. How does Claudio react when he hears about Angelo's proposition to Isabella?
6. What arguments are brought against the death of Claudio in Act 2, Scene 2?
7. Where does the Duke go in Act 2, Scene 3?
8. What is Isabella's response to Angelo's proposition to her?
9. What does Lucio tell Isabella about Claudio's arrest?
10. How does the Duke feel about Claudio's sentencing in Act 2, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who is most affected by this pursuit, and how does it change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)