|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabella ask Angelo when she meets with him the day after pleading for her brother's life?
2. How does the Duke feel about what the woman tells him in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. Who does Escalus invite to his house for dinner at the beginning of Act 2?
4. What is the name of the Friar the Duke speaks with in Act 1?
5. What does the Duke tell his new deputy to use in judgment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the Constable bring before Escalus and Angelo, and what are they accused of?
2. How is the plan first explained to Mariana, and how does she feel about it?
3. What position does the Provost offer to Pompey?
4. How does Angelo feel after Isabella has left?
5. Why does Isabella think Mariana should accuse Angelo of fornication?
6. What is Claudio arrested for?
7. What does Friar Peter do with Mariana and Isabella at the end of Act 4?
8. What is Isabella's response to Angelo's proposition to her?
9. Why does the Duke choose to appoint Angelo as the new deputy?
10. What does the Duke do to get the Provost to disobey Angelo's orders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Belonging and security were two themes present in this play. Where do these themes appear, and which characters are most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 2
Claudio endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)