|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does the disguised Duke give for asking the provost for some information?
2. What has Claudio been arrested for?
3. How does Lucio react to the news that Claudio has been arrested?
4. Who does the Duke think would be the best person to enforce the laws?
5. What does Isabella ask Angelo when she meets with him the day after pleading for her brother's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Escalus describe the Duke in Act 3?
2. What does the Duke want to do at the city gate when he returns?
3. What news does Pompey bring when he first appears on stage?
4. What is Mariana doing when she first appears on stage, and where is she?
5. What does the Duke ask Friar Peter to do during the private meeting?
6. Who is Mariana?
7. What does one of the accused men say about the new law enforcement measures at the beginning of Act 2?
8. What does the Duke do to get the Provost to disobey Angelo's orders?
9. What message does Angelo send the Provost while the Duke is in the prison?
10. What does Isabella say at the end of the first scene she appears in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Escalus and Angelo are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
Essay Topic 3
Claudio endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)