|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabella threaten to do that would ruin Angelo's reputation?
2. Why is the Duke appointing a new deputy?
3. How many characters are present in the first scene?
4. What does Isabella hate about her brother?
5. What does Angelo say Isabella can do to save her brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of life does Isabella want to lead?
2. What does the Duke say when he is left alone on stage in the prison?
3. What does Escalus say about the Duke's idea to appoint Angelo as the new deputy?
4. What does one of the accused men say about the new law enforcement measures at the beginning of Act 2?
5. What position does the Provost offer to Pompey?
6. What does Isabella do when she is told of Claudio's supposed execution?
7. How is the plan first explained to Mariana, and how does she feel about it?
8. What is the Duke's plan to save Claudio's life and please Mariana?
9. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does the Provost ask Angelo, and why?
10. What news does Pompey bring when he first appears on stage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Shakespeare have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)