|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Duke disguised as?
2. Where is the Duke seeking refuge?
3. How long have the laws been unenforced in Vienna?
4. What is the punishment for Claudio's crime?
5. How does Escalus describe the new deputy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claudio react when he hears about Angelo's proposition to Isabella?
2. What kind of life does Isabella want to lead?
3. What does Angelo say when he is first called to be the new deputy?
4. What does Lucio tell Isabella about Claudio's arrest?
5. What does the Duke want to do at the city gate when he returns?
6. What is the Duke's plan to save Claudio's life and please Mariana?
7. How does Angelo feel after Isabella has left?
8. What does the Duke say Angelo has never done before his time as the deputy?
9. What news does Pompey bring when he first appears on stage?
10. What happens when Barnardine is brought out to be executed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Escalus and Angelo are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Belonging and security were two themes present in this play. Where do these themes appear, and which characters are most motivated by them?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)