|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Pompey's occupation?
2. What does the Duke think of his city at the beginning of the play?
(a) It is too big for its boundaries.
(b) It has become corrupt.
(c) It is the best place on earth.
(d) He has no strong feelings either way.
3. Who is the first woman the Duke meets in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) Mistress Overdone.
(d) The nun.
4. Why does the Duke not honor the wishes of his new deputy at the beginning of the play?
(a) He is in a hurry.
(b) He has no doubts about his abilities.
(c) He does not have that power.
(d) He needs proof of worth first.
5. What kind of life does Claudio's sister want to live?
(a) A happy and content life.
(b) A free and lively life.
(c) A serious and rigid life.
(d) A strict and pious life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Claudio been arrested for?
2. What is the name of the Friar the Duke speaks with in Act 1?
3. What does Claudio's sister promise to do when she hears of her brother's arrest?
4. What does the Provost say will happen to Angelo after Claudio's execution?
5. On what point does Escalus disagree with Angelo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Isabella meets with Angelo for the second time?
2. What message does Angelo send the Provost while the Duke is in the prison?
3. What does Friar Peter do with Mariana and Isabella at the end of Act 4?
4. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does the Provost ask Angelo, and why?
5. How does the Duke help Claudio prepare for death?
6. What happens when Barnardine is brought out to be executed?
7. What is done in place of Barnardine's execution?
8. What kind of life does Isabella want to lead?
9. How is the plan first explained to Mariana, and how does she feel about it?
10. Why does the Duke choose to appoint Angelo as the new deputy?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)