|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the woman so frank when speaking to the Duke?
(a) She has spoken to nobody in days.
(b) She recognizes him.
(c) She thinks he is a friar.
(d) She hopes he can help.
2. How does Isabella respond to Angelo's offer to spare her brother?
(a) She thanks him and accepts.
(b) She slaps him.
(c) She refuses.
(d) She asks to have some time to think about it.
3. What does Pompey say people will always be tempted by?
4. Who leads Claudio through the streets when he is arrested?
(a) The Provost.
(b) The Duke.
(c) The jailer.
(d) The deputy.
5. Why is the Duke leaving the city at the beginning of the play?
(a) He is not leaving the city.
(b) He has an important meeting.
(c) He has a marriage to attend.
(d) He does not say.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Claudio's sister want to live?
2. What is the Constable's name?
3. How does Lucio react to the news that Claudio has been arrested?
4. What does the Duke plan to disguise himself as?
5. What does Angelo say Isabella can do to save her brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arguments are brought against the death of Claudio in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. How does the Duke plan to observe the actions of Angelo?
3. How is Isabella supposed to enter Angelo's house for the rendezvous, and why?
4. What does Lucio tell Isabella about Claudio's arrest?
5. What happens when Barnardine is brought out to be executed?
6. What does the Duke say when he is left alone on stage in the prison?
7. Why does the Duke choose to appoint Angelo as the new deputy?
8. How does the Duke help Claudio prepare for death?
9. What is the Duke's plan to save Claudio's life and please Mariana?
10. What are Lucio and his friends talking about when they first appear on scene?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)