|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lucio joking about the first time he is on stage?
(c) His immoral life.
(d) His mother.
2. Who is the first woman the Duke meets in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) Mistress Overdone.
(b) The nun.
3. What does Claudio's sister promise to do when she hears of her brother's arrest?
(a) Visit him.
(b) Try to help him.
(c) Pray for him.
(d) Bless him.
4. Why is Angelo being so harsh in punishing Claudio?
(a) His sister is Claudio's fiancee.
(b) He wants to make Claudio an example.
(c) He has a personal hatred for Claudio.
(d) He lost a lot of money gambling with Claudio.
5. What reason does the disguised Duke give for asking the provost for some information?
(a) He wants to bless Angelo.
(b) He is a close friend of Claudio's.
(c) He needs to minister to the prisoners.
(d) He has been away for a long time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pompey accused of?
2. What is Claudio's sister doing while he is being arrested?
3. What is the name of the Friar the Duke speaks with in Act 1?
4. On what point does Escalus disagree with Angelo?
5. What does the Duke feel Claudio deserves after speaking with the woman in Act 2, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does the Provost ask Angelo, and why?
2. What does the Duke say to Isabella about Claudio's supposed execution after his disguise is made known?
3. What is Mariana doing when she first appears on stage, and where is she?
4. What is Isabella's response to Angelo's proposition to her?
5. What does the Duke do to get the Provost to disobey Angelo's orders?
6. What does Lucio say to the disguised Duke in the prison?
7. How does Angelo feel after Isabella has left?
8. What does the disguised Duke say to further convince Mariana to participate in the plot?
9. How does the Duke help Claudio prepare for death?
10. How does the Duke feel about Claudio's sentencing in Act 2, Scene 3?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)