|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the people in Vienna view the laws, according to the Duke?
(a) They laugh at them.
(b) They have forgotten them.
(c) They don't know them.
(d) They fear them.
2. On what point does Escalus agree with Angelo?
(a) Fear is the best motivator.
(b) Claudio's punishment should be harsh.
(c) Laws must be enforced.
(d) The city is unbearable.
3. What does the Duke think will happen to Angelo when given power?
(a) It will harden him.
(b) It will weaken him.
(c) It will drive him mad.
(d) It will make him less faithful
4. How many characters are present in the first scene?
5. What is Pompey's occupation?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabella say is connected to her body?
2. Who does Isabella plan to tell of Angelo's offer to her?
3. Why does the Duke not honor the wishes of his new deputy at the beginning of the play?
4. What has Claudio been arrested for?
5. What is Froth accused of doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Duke say to Isabella about Claudio's supposed execution after his disguise is made known?
2. What does Mistress Overdone reveal about Lucio?
3. What is done in place of Barnardine's execution?
4. What does the Duke do to get the Provost to disobey Angelo's orders?
5. Why does Isabella think Mariana should accuse Angelo of fornication?
6. What is Mariana doing when she first appears on stage, and where is she?
7. What does Escalus ask Angelo at the beginning of Act 2, and what is Angelo's response?
8. What does the Duke want to do at the city gate when he returns?
9. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does the Provost ask Angelo, and why?
10. What does Isabella think when she is first told about her brother's arrest?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)