|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of life does Claudio's sister want to live?
(a) A strict and pious life.
(b) A serious and rigid life.
(c) A happy and content life.
(d) A free and lively life.
2. Why is Angelo being so harsh in punishing Claudio?
(a) He lost a lot of money gambling with Claudio.
(b) He wants to make Claudio an example.
(c) He has a personal hatred for Claudio.
(d) His sister is Claudio's fiancee.
3. Why is Juliet sent away from the prison at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) She is not allowed to see Claudio.
(b) She is in labor.
(c) She is being arrested as well.
(d) Her father is ill.
4. Who questions the validity of Claudio's expedited execution?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The Duke.
(c) The Provost.
5. What does the Duke think of his city at the beginning of the play?
(a) It has become corrupt.
(b) It is too big for its boundaries.
(c) He has no strong feelings either way.
(d) It is the best place on earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the woman so frank when speaking to the Duke?
2. How does Escalus describe the new deputy?
3. What do the gentlemen in scene two say they probably have as a result of their lifestyle?
4. What is Claudio's sister doing while he is being arrested?
5. When does Angelo ask to see Isabella again after she pleads for her brother's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What position does the Provost offer to Pompey?
2. What are Lucio and his friends talking about when they first appear on scene?
3. What does Isabella think her brother will say about Angelo's proposition to her?
4. What does Angelo say when he is first called to be the new deputy?
5. How does the Duke feel about Claudio's sentencing in Act 2, Scene 3?
6. What does Escalus ask Angelo at the beginning of Act 2, and what is Angelo's response?
7. What is the proposition Angelo gives to Isabella?
8. What does Juliet tell the Duke in Act 2, Scene 3?
9. How does Claudio react when he hears about Angelo's proposition to Isabella?
10. What does the disguised Duke say to further convince Mariana to participate in the plot?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)