|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Duke think of his city at the beginning of the play?
(a) It is the best place on earth.
(b) It has become corrupt.
(c) It is too big for its boundaries.
(d) He has no strong feelings either way.
2. What does Escalus say he will do if Pompey is arrested again?
(a) Have him whipped.
(b) Fine him heavily.
(c) Tell his wife.
(d) Throw him in prison.
3. What kind of life does Claudio's sister want to live?
(a) A happy and content life.
(b) A serious and rigid life.
(c) A free and lively life.
(d) A strict and pious life.
4. What does Isabella call Angelo as she pleads for her brother's life?
(a) A lord.
(b) A bully.
(c) A punisher.
(d) A tyrant.
5. Who leads Claudio through the streets when he is arrested?
(a) The Provost.
(b) The Duke.
(c) The jailer.
(d) The deputy.
6. What does Escalus ask the Constable for a list of?
(b) People waiting to be judged.
(c) Replacements for his job.
(d) The laws and punishments.
7. What is Froth accused of doing?
(a) Speaking out against the Duke.
(b) Insulting a woman.
(c) Stealing some jewels.
(d) Beating his wife.
8. What about Isabella allows Angelo to be vulnerable?
(a) Her logic.
(b) Her confidence.
(c) Her shyness.
(d) Her virtue.
9. Who is the first woman the Duke meets in Act 2, Scene 3?
(c) The nun.
(d) Mistress Overdone.
10. Where does Act 2, Scene 3 take place?
(a) In the courtroom.
(b) In a church.
(c) In the prison.
(d) On the street.
11. What does Isabella threaten to do that would ruin Angelo's reputation?
(a) Tell others of his merciful heart.
(b) Marry him even though she is below his status.
(c) Help Claudio escape.
(d) Tell others of his proposition.
12. Who questions the validity of Claudio's expedited execution?
(a) The Duke.
(b) The Provost.
(c) The Pope.
13. What is the Duke disguised as?
(a) A jailer.
(b) A priest.
(c) A prisoner.
(d) A Friar.
14. What is Pompey accused of?
(a) Selling illegal alcohol.
(b) Being a bawd.
(c) Beating his wife.
(d) Stealing a horse.
15. What is Juliet's crime?
(b) Owning a brothel.
(c) Lying in a court of law.
(d) Insulting the deputy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pompey say people will always be tempted by?
2. What does the Duke ask the provost to tell him?
3. What does Angelo say Isabella can do to save her brother?
4. What is Pompey's occupation?
5. Who is Claudio's sister talking to when she first appears on stage?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)