|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who allows the laws in Vienna to go unenforced for so long?
(a) The Commissioner.
(b) The Deputy.
(c) The Duke.
(d) The King.
2. How does Angelo threaten to kill Claudio if Isabella refuses his offer?
(b) He will starve him slowly.
(c) Long and painful.
(d) He will make his wife and child watch.
3. What is Pompey's occupation?
4. On what point does Escalus agree with Angelo?
(a) Claudio's punishment should be harsh.
(b) Fear is the best motivator.
(c) Laws must be enforced.
(d) The city is unbearable.
5. Who does the Duke think would be the best person to enforce the laws?
(a) The Deputy.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The King.
(d) The Duke.
6. How long have the laws been unenforced in Vienna?
(a) 12 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 16 years.
(d) 14 years.
7. What kind of life does Claudio's sister want to live?
(a) A serious and rigid life.
(b) A strict and pious life.
(c) A happy and content life.
(d) A free and lively life.
8. How does Isabella respond to Angelo's offer to spare her brother?
(a) She slaps him.
(b) She refuses.
(c) She thanks him and accepts.
(d) She asks to have some time to think about it.
9. What has Isabella unloosed in Angelo after pleading for her brother's life?
(a) His anger.
(b) His lust.
(c) His compassion.
(d) His temptations.
10. What does Angelo tell Isabella he feels for her?
11. Where is Claudio's sister when she first appears on stage?
(a) In church.
(b) In her brother's house.
(c) At a convent.
(d) At a graveyard.
12. What does Angelo say Isabella can do to save her brother?
(a) Marry Angelo.
(b) Take him out of the country.
(c) Give up her body.
(d) Take his place.
13. What does the Duke plan to disguise himself as?
(a) A friar.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A servant.
(d) A woman.
14. What do the gentlemen in scene two say they probably have as a result of their lifestyle?
(c) Venerial diseases.
(d) Illegitimate children.
15. What has Claudio been arrested for?
(a) Stealing bread.
(b) Gambling on Sunday.
(c) Hitting a priest.
(d) Impregnating his fiancee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Duke leaving the city at the beginning of the play?
2. What does Isabella call Angelo as she pleads for her brother's life?
3. Who is the first character to speak in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. Why is Juliet sent away from the prison at the beginning of Act 2?
5. What does the Duke think will happen to Angelo when given power?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)