|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Isabella plan to tell of Angelo's offer to her?
(b) The nun.
(d) The Duke.
2. Who does the Duke plan to speak with when he leaves the scene after talking to the woman?
(b) The Pope.
(d) The Provost.
3. Why is the Duke leaving the city at the beginning of the play?
(a) He has a marriage to attend.
(b) He has an important meeting.
(c) He is not leaving the city.
(d) He does not say.
4. What does Isabella feel the need to prepare Claudio for after her second meeting with Angelo?
(a) A ruined reputation.
(b) Her wedding.
5. On what point does Escalus agree with Angelo?
(a) The city is unbearable.
(b) Claudio's punishment should be harsh.
(c) Laws must be enforced.
(d) Fear is the best motivator.
6. What is the occupation of Mistress Overdone?
(a) Brothel Owner.
7. Why is Juliet sent away from the prison at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) She is not allowed to see Claudio.
(b) She is being arrested as well.
(c) She is in labor.
(d) Her father is ill.
8. How long has it been since someone was killed for fornication?
(a) 40 years.
(b) 50 years.
(d) 20 years.
9. What does Escalus ask the Constable for a list of?
(a) People waiting to be judged.
(b) Replacements for his job.
(c) The laws and punishments.
10. What does the Duke tell his new deputy to use in judgment?
(a) His heart.
(b) The law.
(c) His mind.
(d) His soul.
11. On what point does Escalus disagree with Angelo?
(a) Fear is the best motivator.
(b) The city is unbearable.
(c) Laws must be enforced.
(d) Claudio's punishment should be harsh.
12. What has Claudio been arrested for?
(a) Impregnating his fiancee.
(b) Gambling on Sunday.
(c) Stealing bread.
(d) Hitting a priest.
13. What reason does the disguised Duke give for asking the provost for some information?
(a) He has been away for a long time.
(b) He wants to bless Angelo.
(c) He needs to minister to the prisoners.
(d) He is a close friend of Claudio's.
14. In Act 2, Scene 4, what does Angelo say he cannot stop thinking about?
(a) His new power.
15. Why is Angelo being so harsh in punishing Claudio?
(a) He has a personal hatred for Claudio.
(b) He lost a lot of money gambling with Claudio.
(c) He wants to make Claudio an example.
(d) His sister is Claudio's fiancee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lucio joking about the first time he is on stage?
2. What about Isabella allows Angelo to be vulnerable?
3. What is the name of the Friar the Duke speaks with in Act 1?
4. What does Claudio's sister promise to do when she hears of her brother's arrest?
5. What does Isabella call Angelo as she pleads for her brother's life?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)