|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Isabella feel the need to prepare Claudio for after her second meeting with Angelo?
(a) A ruined reputation.
(d) Her wedding.
2. On what point does Escalus disagree with Angelo?
(a) Laws must be enforced.
(b) The city is unbearable.
(c) Claudio's punishment should be harsh.
(d) Fear is the best motivator.
3. What does Escalus ask the Constable for a list of?
(a) Replacements for his job.
(c) People waiting to be judged.
(d) The laws and punishments.
4. What does the Duke think of his city at the beginning of the play?
(a) It has become corrupt.
(b) It is the best place on earth.
(c) He has no strong feelings either way.
(d) It is too big for its boundaries.
5. Where is Claudio's sister when she first appears on stage?
(a) At a convent.
(b) At a graveyard.
(c) In church.
(d) In her brother's house.
6. What reason does the disguised Duke give for asking the provost for some information?
(a) He wants to bless Angelo.
(b) He needs to minister to the prisoners.
(c) He is a close friend of Claudio's.
(d) He has been away for a long time.
7. What is the Constable's name?
8. Who is Claudio's sister talking to when she first appears on stage?
(a) A groundskeeper.
(b) A nun.
(c) Her father.
(d) A priest.
9. How does the Duke feel about what the woman tells him in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) He is deeply shocked.
(b) He feels deep compassion.
(c) He is happy to hear it.
(d) He is not surprised.
10. How long have the laws been unenforced in Vienna?
(a) 16 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 12 years.
(d) 14 years.
11. Who does the Duke plan to speak with when he leaves the scene after talking to the woman?
(a) The Provost.
(d) The Pope.
12. What kind of occupation is Claudio's sister trying to obtain?
13. In Act 2, Scene 4, what does Angelo say he cannot stop thinking about?
(d) His new power.
14. What is Pompey accused of?
(a) Beating his wife.
(b) Being a bawd.
(c) Selling illegal alcohol.
(d) Stealing a horse.
15. What does Isabella say her brother will lose if he is executed?
(b) His soul.
(c) His family.
(d) His physical life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Claudio's sister doing while he is being arrested?
2. When does Angelo ask to see Isabella again after she pleads for her brother's life?
3. Who tells Claudio's sister about his arrest?
4. How does Angelo feel about Isabella's words?
5. What news does Pompey bring the first time he is on stage?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)