|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the gentlemen in scene two say they probably have as a result of their lifestyle?
(b) Venerial diseases.
(c) Illegitimate children.
2. What has Claudio been arrested for?
(a) Hitting a priest.
(b) Stealing bread.
(c) Gambling on Sunday.
(d) Impregnating his fiancee.
3. What does the Duke ask the provost to tell him?
(a) His opinion of Angelo's work.
(b) The details of Angelo's actions.
(c) The names and crimes of the criminals.
(d) The date of Claudio's execution.
4. What does the Duke tell his new deputy to use in judgment?
(a) His mind.
(b) The law.
(c) His soul.
(d) His heart.
5. What does Pompey say people will always be tempted by?
6. How does Angelo threaten to kill Claudio if Isabella refuses his offer?
(a) He will starve him slowly.
(b) Long and painful.
(d) He will make his wife and child watch.
7. What is the name of the Friar the Duke speaks with in Act 1?
8. What does the new deputy want when he is appointed to his new office?
(a) Some assistants.
(b) To prove his worth.
(c) Direction and goals.
(d) More money.
9. What physical feature does Angelo love most about Isabella as she pleads for Claudio's life?
(a) Her voice.
(b) Her eyes.
(c) Her skin.
(d) Her hands.
10. Why does Angelo not fear for his reputation?
(a) He already has a bad reputation.
(b) His actions will speak for themselves.
(c) It is spotless thus far.
(d) He feels reputations are needless.
11. What does Isabella hate about her brother?
(a) The confidence he has.
(b) His lack of faith.
(c) The crime he committed.
(d) His despair.
12. Where does Claudio's sister want to live?
(a) In a cloister.
(b) In a monastery.
(c) In England.
(d) At the palace.
13. What does Isabella call Angelo as she pleads for her brother's life?
(a) A bully.
(b) A lord.
(c) A tyrant.
(d) A punisher.
14. What does Escalus say he will do if Pompey is arrested again?
(a) Throw him in prison.
(b) Have him whipped.
(c) Fine him heavily.
(d) Tell his wife.
15. Where is the Duke seeking refuge?
(a) The friary.
(b) The bell tower.
(c) The monastery.
(d) The poor house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the Duke afraid of being viewed by the people?
2. Who tells Claudio's sister about his arrest?
3. On what point does Escalus agree with Angelo?
4. Why does the Duke not honor the wishes of his new deputy at the beginning of the play?
5. Why is Angelo being so harsh in punishing Claudio?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)