|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Isabella respond to Angelo's offer to spare her brother?
(a) She slaps him.
(b) She asks to have some time to think about it.
(c) She refuses.
(d) She thanks him and accepts.
2. Where is the Duke seeking refuge?
(a) The poor house.
(b) The monastery.
(c) The friary.
(d) The bell tower.
3. What is the new deputy instructed to do?
(a) Enforce the laws.
(b) Keep the peace.
(c) Fill the jails.
(d) Increase purity.
4. What does Isabella threaten to do that would ruin Angelo's reputation?
(a) Tell others of his proposition.
(b) Tell others of his merciful heart.
(c) Help Claudio escape.
(d) Marry him even though she is below his status.
5. Why is the Duke appointing a new deputy?
(a) He wants less responsibilities.
(b) He is going away.
(c) The city is growing.
(d) The old one died.
6. What about Isabella allows Angelo to be vulnerable?
(a) Her shyness.
(b) Her virtue.
(c) Her confidence.
(d) Her logic.
7. On what point does Escalus disagree with Angelo?
(a) Claudio's punishment should be harsh.
(b) Laws must be enforced.
(c) Fear is the best motivator.
(d) The city is unbearable.
8. What is the name of the Friar the Duke speaks with in Act 1?
9. What does the Duke think will happen to Angelo when given power?
(a) It will make him less faithful
(b) It will harden him.
(c) It will weaken him.
(d) It will drive him mad.
10. What news does Pompey bring the first time he is on stage?
(a) The brothels are being shut down.
(b) Claudio has been arrested.
(c) The taxes are all due.
(d) A town meeting has been called.
11. What kind of occupation is Claudio's sister trying to obtain?
12. When does Angelo ask to see Isabella again after she pleads for her brother's life?
(a) After her brother's execution.
(b) On Sunday.
(c) The next day.
(d) When the Duke returns.
13. What does Angelo tell Isabella he feels for her?
14. How does the Duke feel about what the woman tells him in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) He is not surprised.
(b) He feels deep compassion.
(c) He is happy to hear it.
(d) He is deeply shocked.
15. Who leads Claudio through the streets when he is arrested?
(a) The Provost.
(b) The jailer.
(c) The Duke.
(d) The deputy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabella ask Angelo when she meets with him the day after pleading for her brother's life?
2. What does Isabella say is connected to her body?
3. In Act 2, Scene 4, what does Angelo say he cannot stop thinking about?
4. What does the Duke think of his city at the beginning of the play?
5. What is the Constable's name?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)