|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lucio joking about the first time he is on stage?
(c) His immoral life.
(d) His mother.
2. What word does Escalus use to describe the Constable?
3. Who does Escalus invite to his house for dinner at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) The deputy.
(b) A justice.
(c) A monk.
(d) The Duke.
4. What is the name of Claudio's fiancee?
5. How does Claudio's sister feel when she first hears of her brother's arrest?
(a) She is not surprised.
(b) She feels justice has been served.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She can't believe it.
6. Who is the first woman the Duke meets in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) Mistress Overdone.
(b) The nun.
7. Who is the first character to speak in Act 2, Scene 3?
(b) The Provost.
(c) The Duke.
8. How long have the laws been unenforced in Vienna?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 12 years.
(c) 16 years.
(d) 14 years.
9. Where does Act 2, Scene 3 take place?
(a) In a church.
(b) In the courtroom.
(c) On the street.
(d) In the prison.
10. Who does the Duke think would be the best person to enforce the laws?
(a) The Deputy.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The King.
(d) The Duke.
11. What is the new deputy instructed to do?
(a) Increase purity.
(b) Enforce the laws.
(c) Keep the peace.
(d) Fill the jails.
12. What does the Duke think will happen to Angelo when given power?
(a) It will drive him mad.
(b) It will make him less faithful
(c) It will weaken him.
(d) It will harden him.
13. What does Angelo say Isabella can do to save her brother?
(a) Marry Angelo.
(b) Take his place.
(c) Take him out of the country.
(d) Give up her body.
14. What does Isabella threaten to do that would ruin Angelo's reputation?
(a) Help Claudio escape.
(b) Tell others of his proposition.
(c) Marry him even though she is below his status.
(d) Tell others of his merciful heart.
15. What is Claudio's sister's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does the disguised Duke give for asking the provost for some information?
2. Where is the Duke seeking refuge?
3. Who does Isabella say is hurt by Claudio's crime?
4. Why is Angelo being so harsh in punishing Claudio?
5. What does the new deputy want when he is appointed to his new office?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)