|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Duke ask the provost to tell him?
(a) The date of Claudio's execution.
(b) The details of Angelo's actions.
(c) The names and crimes of the criminals.
(d) His opinion of Angelo's work.
2. What reason does the disguised Duke give for asking the provost for some information?
(a) He needs to minister to the prisoners.
(b) He is a close friend of Claudio's.
(c) He has been away for a long time.
(d) He wants to bless Angelo.
3. What about Isabella allows Angelo to be vulnerable?
(a) Her shyness.
(b) Her virtue.
(c) Her logic.
(d) Her confidence.
4. How long have the laws been unenforced in Vienna?
(a) 12 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 16 years.
(d) 14 years.
5. On what point does Escalus agree with Angelo?
(a) Claudio's punishment should be harsh.
(b) The city is unbearable.
(c) Laws must be enforced.
(d) Fear is the best motivator.
6. Who allows the laws in Vienna to go unenforced for so long?
(a) The Commissioner.
(b) The Deputy.
(c) The Duke.
(d) The King.
7. What is the Duke disguised as?
(a) A prisoner.
(b) A priest.
(c) A jailer.
(d) A Friar.
8. How long has it been since someone was killed for fornication?
(a) 20 years.
(c) 50 years.
(d) 40 years.
9. Who does Isabella say is hurt by Claudio's crime?
(b) Only himself.
(c) God alone.
(d) His unborn child.
10. Who does Escalus invite to his house for dinner at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) A monk.
(b) The Duke.
(c) The deputy.
(d) A justice.
11. Where does this play take place?
12. Who does the Duke plan to speak with when he leaves the scene after talking to the woman?
(a) The Pope.
(c) The Provost.
13. Who is the first character to speak in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) The Duke.
(d) The Provost.
14. Why is the woman so frank when speaking to the Duke?
(a) She thinks he is a friar.
(b) She hopes he can help.
(c) She recognizes him.
(d) She has spoken to nobody in days.
15. What does the woman tell the disguised Duke in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) She does not want to die.
(b) She hates Angelo.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She has repented.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lucio joking about the first time he is on stage?
2. What has Angelo never had a weakness for in the past?
3. Where is Claudio's sister when she first appears on stage?
4. What news does Pompey bring the first time he is on stage?
5. Why is the Duke appointing a new deputy?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)