|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Escalus use to describe the Constable?
2. How does Claudio's sister feel when she first hears of her brother's arrest?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She feels justice has been served.
(c) She is not surprised.
(d) She can't believe it.
3. What does the Duke tell his new deputy to use in judgment?
(a) His mind.
(b) His soul.
(c) The law.
(d) His heart.
4. How many characters are present in the first scene?
5. What does Isabella call Angelo as she pleads for her brother's life?
(a) A bully.
(b) A punisher.
(c) A lord.
(d) A tyrant.
6. What does Escalus say he will do if Pompey is arrested again?
(a) Throw him in prison.
(b) Fine him heavily.
(c) Have him whipped.
(d) Tell his wife.
7. On what point does Escalus disagree with Angelo?
(a) Claudio's punishment should be harsh.
(b) Fear is the best motivator.
(c) Laws must be enforced.
(d) The city is unbearable.
8. How is the Duke afraid of being viewed by the people?
(a) As a tyrant.
(b) As a weakling.
(c) As a debaucher.
(d) As a faithless man.
9. What position does Escalus hold?
10. What physical feature does Angelo love most about Isabella as she pleads for Claudio's life?
(a) Her eyes.
(b) Her hands.
(c) Her voice.
(d) Her skin.
11. What does the Duke plan to disguise himself as?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A woman.
(c) A friar.
(d) A servant.
12. What has Angelo never had a weakness for in the past?
(a) Trying to be popular.
(b) Breaking the law.
(c) Human appetites.
13. How does Isabella respond to Angelo's offer to spare her brother?
(a) She refuses.
(b) She asks to have some time to think about it.
(c) She slaps him.
(d) She thanks him and accepts.
14. What is Lucio joking about the first time he is on stage?
(b) His immoral life.
(c) His mother.
15. What does the Duke ask the provost to tell him?
(a) The date of Claudio's execution.
(b) The details of Angelo's actions.
(c) His opinion of Angelo's work.
(d) The names and crimes of the criminals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angelo say Isabella can do to save her brother?
2. In Act 2, Scene 4, what does Angelo say he cannot stop thinking about?
3. What do the gentlemen in scene two say they probably have as a result of their lifestyle?
4. Who tells Claudio's sister about his arrest?
5. What does Isabella feel the need to prepare Claudio for after her second meeting with Angelo?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)