|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what point does Escalus agree with Angelo?
(a) Fear is the best motivator.
(b) Claudio's punishment should be harsh.
(c) Laws must be enforced.
(d) The city is unbearable.
2. Who is Claudio's sister talking to when she first appears on stage?
(a) A priest.
(b) A nun.
(c) A groundskeeper.
(d) Her father.
3. Who does the Duke appoint as his new deputy?
4. What has Angelo never had a weakness for in the past?
(a) Breaking the law.
(c) Trying to be popular.
(d) Human appetites.
5. What does Isabella ask Angelo when she meets with him the day after pleading for her brother's life?
(a) If she gave him enough time.
(b) If there is anything she can do to change his mind.
(c) If she can take her brother's place.
(d) If he has changed his mind.
6. What kind of life does Claudio's sister want to live?
(a) A strict and pious life.
(b) A serious and rigid life.
(c) A happy and content life.
(d) A free and lively life.
7. How does Isabella respond to Angelo's offer to spare her brother?
(a) She refuses.
(b) She slaps him.
(c) She asks to have some time to think about it.
(d) She thanks him and accepts.
8. What does Isabella feel the need to prepare Claudio for after her second meeting with Angelo?
(b) A ruined reputation.
(c) Her wedding.
9. What does Angelo say Isabella can do to save her brother?
(a) Marry Angelo.
(b) Take his place.
(c) Give up her body.
(d) Take him out of the country.
10. Why is Angelo being so harsh in punishing Claudio?
(a) He lost a lot of money gambling with Claudio.
(b) He wants to make Claudio an example.
(c) He has a personal hatred for Claudio.
(d) His sister is Claudio's fiancee.
11. Why is the Duke leaving the city at the beginning of the play?
(a) He is not leaving the city.
(b) He has an important meeting.
(c) He has a marriage to attend.
(d) He does not say.
12. What is Juliet's crime?
(a) Lying in a court of law.
(b) Owning a brothel.
(d) Insulting the deputy.
13. What does the Duke tell his new deputy to use in judgment?
(a) His heart.
(b) The law.
(c) His soul.
(d) His mind.
14. Who is trying to make an example of Claudio?
(d) The Duke.
15. What is Claudio's sister doing while he is being arrested?
(a) Having a baby.
(b) Becoming a nun.
(c) Getting married.
(d) Burrying her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pompey accused of?
2. What does the woman tell the disguised Duke in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. Why does the Duke not honor the wishes of his new deputy at the beginning of the play?
4. Who does the Duke plan to speak with when he leaves the scene after talking to the woman?
5. What does Escalus say he will do if Pompey is arrested again?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)