|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the Duke afraid of being viewed by the people?
(a) As a faithless man.
(b) As a tyrant.
(c) As a debaucher.
(d) As a weakling.
2. What reason does the disguised Duke give for asking the provost for some information?
(a) He is a close friend of Claudio's.
(b) He wants to bless Angelo.
(c) He needs to minister to the prisoners.
(d) He has been away for a long time.
3. What does the Duke think of his city at the beginning of the play?
(a) It is too big for its boundaries.
(b) It has become corrupt.
(c) It is the best place on earth.
(d) He has no strong feelings either way.
4. What is Froth accused of doing?
(a) Insulting a woman.
(b) Stealing some jewels.
(c) Speaking out against the Duke.
(d) Beating his wife.
5. Where does Claudio's sister want to live?
(a) In a monastery.
(b) In England.
(c) In a cloister.
(d) At the palace.
6. Where is Claudio's sister when she first appears on stage?
(a) At a graveyard.
(b) In church.
(c) In her brother's house.
(d) At a convent.
7. Why is the Duke leaving the city at the beginning of the play?
(a) He has an important meeting.
(b) He is not leaving the city.
(c) He does not say.
(d) He has a marriage to attend.
8. How does Angelo feel about Isabella's words?
(a) They are foolish.
(b) They are compassionate.
(c) They are logical.
(d) They are aggravating.
9. What does the Duke plan to disguise himself as?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A woman.
(c) A servant.
(d) A friar.
10. Why does the Duke not honor the wishes of his new deputy at the beginning of the play?
(a) He has no doubts about his abilities.
(b) He is in a hurry.
(c) He does not have that power.
(d) He needs proof of worth first.
11. Who is the first woman the Duke meets in Act 2, Scene 3?
(c) Mistress Overdone.
(d) The nun.
12. How long have the laws been unenforced in Vienna?
(a) 16 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 12 years.
(d) 14 years.
13. Who have men been sent to find after Claudio's arrest?
(a) The Baron.
(b) The Duke.
(c) The Pope.
(d) The Prince.
14. What does Isabella hate about her brother?
(a) His lack of faith.
(b) The confidence he has.
(c) The crime he committed.
(d) His despair.
15. What position does Escalus hold?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabella say is connected to her body?
2. Who does the Duke think would be the best person to enforce the laws?
3. What is Pompey accused of?
4. In Act 2, Scene 4, what does Angelo say he cannot stop thinking about?
5. What does Isabella feel the need to prepare Claudio for after her second meeting with Angelo?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)