|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Duke describe Angelo?
(a) A man of solace.
(b) A man of abstinence.
(c) A man of duty.
(d) A man of action.
2. How long does Pompey think the new law enforcement will last?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 10 months.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 5 weeks.
3. Who does Escalus invite to his house for dinner at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) A justice.
(b) The deputy.
(c) The Duke.
(d) A monk.
4. Why does the Duke not honor the wishes of his new deputy at the beginning of the play?
(a) He does not have that power.
(b) He has no doubts about his abilities.
(c) He is in a hurry.
(d) He needs proof of worth first.
5. Why is Juliet sent away from the prison at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) She is not allowed to see Claudio.
(b) Her father is ill.
(c) She is being arrested as well.
(d) She is in labor.
6. What does Isabella hate about her brother?
(a) His lack of faith.
(b) His despair.
(c) The confidence he has.
(d) The crime he committed.
7. Who does the Duke plan to speak with when he leaves the scene after talking to the woman?
(a) The Pope.
(d) The Provost.
8. What does Escalus say he will do if Pompey is arrested again?
(a) Throw him in prison.
(b) Have him whipped.
(c) Fine him heavily.
(d) Tell his wife.
9. What word does Escalus use to describe the Constable?
10. What does Isabella say is connected to her body?
(a) Her mind.
(b) Her emotions.
(c) Her soul.
(d) Her faith.
11. Who does Isabella say is hurt by Claudio's crime?
(a) His unborn child.
(b) Only himself.
(c) God alone.
12. What does Isabella feel the need to prepare Claudio for after her second meeting with Angelo?
(a) A ruined reputation.
(b) Her wedding.
13. What kind of life does Claudio's sister want to live?
(a) A strict and pious life.
(b) A happy and content life.
(c) A serious and rigid life.
(d) A free and lively life.
14. Why is Angelo being so harsh in punishing Claudio?
(a) His sister is Claudio's fiancee.
(b) He has a personal hatred for Claudio.
(c) He lost a lot of money gambling with Claudio.
(d) He wants to make Claudio an example.
15. How does Claudio's sister feel when she first hears of her brother's arrest?
(a) She feels justice has been served.
(b) She can't believe it.
(c) She is not surprised.
(d) She is angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Juliet's crime?
2. What physical feature does Angelo love most about Isabella as she pleads for Claudio's life?
3. What is the punishment for Claudio's crime?
4. How does Escalus describe the new deputy?
5. What does the Duke plan to disguise himself as?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)