|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Froth accused of doing?
(a) Stealing some jewels.
(b) Speaking out against the Duke.
(c) Beating his wife.
(d) Insulting a woman.
2. How does Isabella respond to Angelo's offer to spare her brother?
(a) She refuses.
(b) She slaps him.
(c) She thanks him and accepts.
(d) She asks to have some time to think about it.
3. Why is the woman so frank when speaking to the Duke?
(a) She hopes he can help.
(b) She has spoken to nobody in days.
(c) She thinks he is a friar.
(d) She recognizes him.
4. What does the Duke tell his new deputy to use in judgment?
(a) His heart.
(b) His soul.
(c) The law.
(d) His mind.
5. How long have the laws been unenforced in Vienna?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 12 years.
(c) 14 years.
(d) 16 years.
6. What is the Duke disguised as?
(a) A prisoner.
(b) A priest.
(c) A Friar.
(d) A jailer.
7. Who is the first character to speak in Act 2, Scene 3?
(b) The Provost.
(d) The Duke.
8. Why does the Duke not honor the wishes of his new deputy at the beginning of the play?
(a) He does not have that power.
(b) He has no doubts about his abilities.
(c) He is in a hurry.
(d) He needs proof of worth first.
9. In Act 2, Scene 4, what does Angelo say he cannot stop thinking about?
(d) His new power.
10. What does Angelo say Isabella can do to save her brother?
(a) Give up her body.
(b) Marry Angelo.
(c) Take him out of the country.
(d) Take his place.
11. What does Isabella threaten to do that would ruin Angelo's reputation?
(a) Tell others of his proposition.
(b) Tell others of his merciful heart.
(c) Help Claudio escape.
(d) Marry him even though she is below his status.
12. What does Escalus say he will do if Pompey is arrested again?
(a) Have him whipped.
(b) Tell his wife.
(c) Fine him heavily.
(d) Throw him in prison.
13. What does the Duke ask the provost to tell him?
(a) The details of Angelo's actions.
(b) The names and crimes of the criminals.
(c) His opinion of Angelo's work.
(d) The date of Claudio's execution.
14. What does the Duke think will happen to Angelo when given power?
(a) It will harden him.
(b) It will weaken him.
(c) It will make him less faithful
(d) It will drive him mad.
15. How many characters are present in the first scene?
Short Answer Questions
1. What physical feature does Angelo love most about Isabella as she pleads for Claudio's life?
2. How does Claudio's sister feel when she first hears of her brother's arrest?
3. Why is the Duke appointing a new deputy?
4. What word does Escalus use to describe the Constable?
5. How is the Duke afraid of being viewed by the people?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)