|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Claudio's sister talking to when she first appears on stage?
(a) A priest.
(b) A nun.
(c) Her father.
(d) A groundskeeper.
2. Who tells Claudio's sister about his arrest?
(a) A messenger.
(c) A priest.
3. What does the Provost say will happen to Angelo after Claudio's execution?
(a) He will regret it.
(b) He will be fired.
(c) He will feel too confident.
(d) He will have changed nothing.
4. Who have men been sent to find after Claudio's arrest?
(a) The Baron.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The Prince.
(d) The Duke.
5. On what point does Escalus agree with Angelo?
(a) The city is unbearable.
(b) Fear is the best motivator.
(c) Laws must be enforced.
(d) Claudio's punishment should be harsh.
6. Why is the woman so frank when speaking to the Duke?
(a) She hopes he can help.
(b) She has spoken to nobody in days.
(c) She thinks he is a friar.
(d) She recognizes him.
7. What does Isabella hate about her brother?
(a) His despair.
(b) The confidence he has.
(c) The crime he committed.
(d) His lack of faith.
8. How does Escalus describe the new deputy?
(a) Full of pride and anger.
(b) Full of gratitude and love.
(c) Full of mercy and justice.
(d) Full of grace and honor.
9. When does Angelo ask to see Isabella again after she pleads for her brother's life?
(a) The next day.
(b) When the Duke returns.
(c) On Sunday.
(d) After her brother's execution.
10. How does the Duke describe Angelo?
(a) A man of duty.
(b) A man of solace.
(c) A man of abstinence.
(d) A man of action.
11. How is the Duke afraid of being viewed by the people?
(a) As a debaucher.
(b) As a faithless man.
(c) As a tyrant.
(d) As a weakling.
12. On what point does Escalus disagree with Angelo?
(a) Claudio's punishment should be harsh.
(b) The city is unbearable.
(c) Laws must be enforced.
(d) Fear is the best motivator.
13. Why is Juliet sent away from the prison at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) Her father is ill.
(b) She is in labor.
(c) She is being arrested as well.
(d) She is not allowed to see Claudio.
14. Where does this play take place?
15. How long have the laws been unenforced in Vienna?
(a) 14 years.
(b) 12 years.
(c) 16 years.
(d) 10 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Pompey think the new law enforcement will last?
2. What does Claudio's friend call his sister when he finds her?
3. Who questions the validity of Claudio's expedited execution?
4. What about Isabella allows Angelo to be vulnerable?
5. What is the name of the Friar the Duke speaks with in Act 1?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)