|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ironically, Sedaris and his siblings mock the fisherman's tan skin because
2. Facing his lack of artistic talent might mean
3. Sedaris is not bothered by the possible ingredients in a hot dog because
4. Sedaris discovers that most of the boys in speech therapy are
5. Why is Sedaris unable to ignore the problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Mancini constantly refer to women and his sexual exploits?
2. How are Valencia and Patrick different?
3. What does Amy Sedaris do to torture her father over Christmas vacation?
4. Why does Sedaris feel his father admired jazz so much as a young man?
5. Describe Bonnie's character in City of Angels.
6. When does Sedaris come to understand his parents' experience with dying pets?
7. Why does Sedaris seem to object so strongly to his speech therapy sessions?
8. Why does Sedaris claim to prefer the belief that his television is inhabited by tiny humans over a scientific explanation of its workings?
9. What is Sedaris' attitude toward the wealthy at the start of the essay?
10. How does the speech therapist continue to bring Sedaris' lisp to his attention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Considering Sedaris' exploration of the motifs of language and communication, write an essay in which you determine a conclusion or theme at which Sedaris arrives in his essays. Use specific examples of Sedaris' experiences with language and communication to develop and support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Several characters is Sedaris' essays seem to find freedom from the need for others' approval. Write an essay in which you compare Sedaris to any other character in the book, noting whether either person is ultimately free from others' approval. Use examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
In Sedaris' essays, he sometimes identifies himself as without strength or control. Considering the quote,"Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power," write an essay in which you argue whether or not Sedaris truly does possess strength. Use specific examples from the text to illustrate your point.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)