|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of the performance piece in the twelfth "moment," Sedaris seems to admire
2. Lou Sedaris said his daughters would thank him for
3. During their last meeting together, Sedaris learns that Miss Sampson
4. Sedaris suggests his brother is radically different from his other siblings because
5. Sedaris' attempt to recruit his guitar teacher for his jingle-singing act results in
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sedaris find unusual about the way the food in his neighborhood restaurants is served on the plate.
2. What features of the the typewriter does Sedaris praise?
3. Why does Sedaris suggest Miss Sampson's "timing was off" when she reveals her human side during their last session?
4. Describe Sedaris' tone in relation to his own artistic talents.
5. What is Sedaris' attitude toward the wealthy at the start of the essay?
6. Why does the young Sedaris miss the irony of the fisherman's inability to live by the seashore?
7. What does Amy Sedaris do to torture her father over Christmas vacation?
8. What are the main differences between Sedaris and his father outlined in the chapter?
9. Why does Sedaris resist learning to play the guitar?
10. How are Valencia and Patrick different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Erich Fromm said, "Integrity simply means not violating one's own identity." Considering Sedaris' own search for identity throughout his essays, write an essay of your own in which you argue whether or not he maintains integrity throughout his experiences. Use specific examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Considering Sedaris' use of humor when writing about himself or people in general. Evaluate the effect of his humor on the essays you have read. Then write an essay of your own in which you determine how successful Sedaris' use of humor is in conveying the themes of his pieces. Use specific examples from the text to support your point.
Essay Topic 3
Sedaris mentions many means of escapism in his essays. Considering his references to avoiding reality and interactions with others, write an essay in which you identify at least three symbols of escapism Sedaris uses, and draw a conclusion about Sedaris' reason for using these methods. Support your position with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)